Code of Conduct

Default Carven Homme - first impressions

I was one of the ones that pulled the trigger on this one blindly when someone had mention this was on sale on eBay for like 20 bucks....when I first got it, I gotta say that I wasn't that impressed....it smelled quite dated to me and VERY strong....now ? After I've worn it for a whole day? I absolutely LOVE it ! It's a lush cedar, sandalwood tobacco-Vetiver scent infused with a vanilla sweetness that's just to die for....the longer this gem stays on your skin the better it gets....I love it better after about 6 hours on the skin....the sweet tobacco woods come out more....just amazing scent for the money and has easily became one of my top 10 scents and certainly at this price point blows some of my other NICHE fragrances out of the water that cost 4 or 5 times as much! Who knew ?

Get ya some of this juice before it's gone.....word of caution, though....2-3 sprays is all you need to get well over 10-12 hours of longevity.....it's also a projection monster....give this one a chance because in the beginning it's VERY potent and pronounced....let it live on the skin for a while and then make your decision....you won't be sorry....trust me.

Default Re: Carven Homme - first impressions

You made a good decision IMO. It's a wonderful scent. Agree with your observations.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hednic, do you wear this one every now and then? I absolutely adore this one....had no idea what to expect

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Hednic, do you wear this one every now and then? I absolutely adore this one....had no idea what to expect
    Actually it's been a long time since I've worn it but when it was brought back to people's attention recently with that thread you mentioned, it reminded me of how nice it was when I got it and still really is.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Congrats on your purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Actually it's been a long time since I've worn it but when it was brought back to people's attention recently with that thread you mentioned, it reminded me of how nice it was when I got it and still really is.
    Honestly, Hednic, I don't know how you remember all the scents you have and how you keep them all straight...It has to be difficult .....just amazing to me....you must have a fantastic memory...lol

You got yourself a bargain...I get a lovely smooth ride all the way with this one. I find many of these discontinued designer scents put to shame the average modern frag (designer and niche).

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Congrats on your purchase.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    You got yourself a bargain...I get a lovely smooth ride all the way with this one. I find many of these discontinued designer scents put to shame the average modern frag (designer and niche).
    I was totally caught by surprised....it came in two plastic sleeves that literally squished the bottle in between them....packaging looked cheap and I was expecting something horribly synthetic and awful....what I got was something else

I was totally caught by surprised....it came in two plastic sleeves that literally squished the bottle in between them....packaging looked cheap and I was expecting something horribly synthetic and awful....what I got was something else
    Yeah, they might have skimped on the packaging, but the juice is sheer quality.

It's a good one and I love the tobacco note in this.

I used to have it. My initial reaction to it was quite similar to yours - I thought it was destined to become my top 10.

After a couple of initial wearings however, it ended up sitting in my closet for months. I still thought that the scent was great, but I simply could not find time for it. I just sort of became indifferent to it.

Eventually, my 50 ml bottle didnt make the weed out cut and was sold on Ebay.

I went ahead and ordered a bottle due to your impressions.

If you like Carven Homme, you should investigate Monsieur Carven. It was recommended to me by another member here and it is AMAZING! I would liken it to Equipage or Patou Pour Homme as the Carven fragrance shares some similar notes. Full bottles are quite expensive on Ebay, but you can pick up a small 5ml bottle for around $15.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeroyDaBoy View Post
    I went ahead and ordered a bottle due to your impressions.
    This is how hypes get started

Enjoy it!

For $20, how could I pass it up? ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN! CHOO-CHOO!

Plus, I am a sucker for vetiver tempered with a dash of sweetness. And some spice on top to boot? Yeah buddy!

Hehe..

But seriously though, its a great fragrance!

I just did an order(?) for one on eBay, woohoo. Is it discontinued?
    (Formerly Jouho)

Carven has not created many fragrances for men but they were all excellent. I own and love these three:

IMG_0213.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LeeroyDaBoy View Post
    For $20, how could I pass it up? ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN! CHOO-CHOO!

Plus, I am a sucker for vetiver tempered with a dash of sweetness. And some spice on top to boot? Yeah buddy!
    Hope you like it as much as I have so far...Remember, first impressions may not be the best ones...Give it some time...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    This is how hypes get started

Enjoy it!
    True dat !

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    I just did an order(?) for one on eBay, woohoo. Is it discontinued?
    Not sure if it's been discontinued.....There was some dude on ebay that had many bottles going for about 20 bucks....I jumped at it because of BN and the positive comments....

i bought a bottle as well. I like it a lot. Glad i have it now. Its very pleasant and super smooth. Its definitely similar to Envy.
    I probably won't wear it much, but its nice to know that i have a bottle. well worth the asking price.

And yes, the packaging was very cheap!

Sound Scents

I love it. It very much reminds me of Floris' Eau de Santal (which I also love). They have added just a very small amount of norlimbanol in the heart to give it a bit of a burnt woods aspect beyond Eau de Santal, but it is very well-done and the norlimbanol works here... Terrific value, and composition outright, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I bought this one blind as well based on the recommendation in here. Just got it today and I was very happy with it. Old school nice!

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    i bought a bottle as well. I like it a lot. Glad i have it now. Its very pleasant and super smooth. Its definitely similar to Envy.
    I probably won't wear it much, but its nice to know that i have a bottle. well worth the asking price.

I prefer a "normal" box too but the bottle is very "heavy duty" and the cap is serviceable. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post

Why wouldn't you wear it much? you should consider it....It's a good one to add to your rotation, IMHO

Ok, just bought into the hype and ordered a bottle!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Ok, just bought into the hype and ordered a bottle!
    Let me know what you think Dougczar....Not a huge investment but if it sucks you won't feel as bad...lol...

But I don't think you will be disappointed....

I....Who knew?....
    People who have a real passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    People who have a real passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. :-)
    Well....good point but to me Carven could easily pass as niche...I still love niche overall compared to designer BUT what I am slowly finding out is fragrances that are cheap doesnt mean they will smell like crap or synthetic...This one caught me by surprise...THAT'S for sure...And frankly, I'm proud that I bought it despite it's price...I don't buy fragrance because it's expensive...I buy it because I like the scent...Doesnt have to be niche but lately more and more of it IS indeed niche....

I've actually had this one for a while. Got a free sample of it from another basenoter when I purchased something else. Immediately pulled the trigger, and bought a bottle...ahem (props will) it's been in my regular rotation ever since

Somewhere between Bois du Portugal and Envy for under $20 - what is there to think about? LOL.

My belated thanks for sharing this impression. Seems to have many of the needed qualities to fit into a well assorted scent collection.

Ebay links are not allowed on Basenotes. Please read the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Ebay links are not allowed on Basenotes. Please read the rules.
    Is it okay to mention the item number?

WOW! I ordered my bottle from ebay this Saturday and it's already here, all the way from California to Tennessee. What a kick-butt seller!

My package got here, a Priority Mail or w/e box inside of a plastic covering. However, the cap came cracked? How could the cap even get cracked? The bottle was suspended in between two plastic things inside of the box... what..? I also noticed a smell before I even took it out of the box, but perhaps during/after the process of taking off the cellophane - however there was space in the tube as if it was never fully primed before.

I dunno, x_x.
    (Formerly Jouho)

I've had this for a year or so. It's a nice scent. I also agree with the Envy comparisons, especially in the opening.

...one of my favorites...!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    If you like Carven Homme, you should investigate Monsieur Carven. It was recommended to me by another member here and it is AMAZING! I would liken it to Equipage or Patou Pour Homme as the Carven fragrance shares some similar notes. Full bottles are quite expensive on Ebay, but you can pick up a small 5ml bottle for around $15.
    +1. I bought a 5ml for $12 shipped. Really nice, up there with Hermes Equipage & Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree quality. Seems to be mostly under the radar. I knew of Carven Homme but hadn't gotten around to exploring it. Seemed too cheap to bother.
    Last edited by cytherian; 17th June 2014 at 07:37 PM.

Carven Homme $20 NIB tester at one of my favorite out of the way fragrance shops. Jumped on it, so glad I did. Thanks for the recommendation, BNers!