Code of Conduct
    jason_newton

Default Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree (1989) Vintage

Today I came into possession by a happy coincidence, a bottle of Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree that may have been one of the first bottles ever manufactured. Pour Monsiuer Concentree first came onto the market in 1989. I was given this by a friend of a woman who was a cosmetics sales girl who worked at Debenhams on Oxford Street, London in the late 1980s.

Incredibly, it has never been used. Not cellophaned sealed box but when I opened it, there wasn't even a fingerprint on the glass or chrome finish. That's pretty good for a vintage of this age. It's smells rich in a way I've never experienced before. Dry down is exquisite. Truly masterful. Modern yet classic. I think it's only when you can sample something from that age that one understands how well some fragrances were produced.

There is no bar code - no Green dot symbol. Batch code is 6707 - which according to Andre's codes would place this at July 1986. Could they have been manufacturing up to two years before introduction? Also notice there is no mention of Egoiste in the accompanying pamphlet.

Full size images are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/grhcettdl...Jf8MD3kRwiJf5a

Kind Regards

Default Re: Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree (1989) Vintage

Don't know the answer to your question, but congratulations! What an amazing score. I've always been fond of this one. Can't imagine how fine an early vintage bottle must be. So great that it found a good home.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Great score!
    According Chanel code, "batch 6707" should be = "July 1988".
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...-perfumes.html
    Raiders of the Lost Scent: Journey in the Realm of Lost Perfumes
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspot.it.

jason_newton

Thanks, Andre, I didn't look at your coding correctly.

I'm so happy, mostly because it has taken me so long to find it.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Wonderful scent and wonderful find!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I enjoy the current Chanel PM Concentree, and can only imagine how nice it must be in its original form. Congrats!
    Currently wearing: Furyo by Jacques Bogart

Thanks for sharing, enjoy this impressive find. The very few times I had the possibility to sample this fragrance from one of the (most likely few remaining) tester bottles, it struck me like a wonderful experience due to breathtakingly well-crafted but also distinctively strong, noticeable (in a positive way) kind of notes.

jason_newton

Thanks everyone who replied to this thread.

My blog is here: http://www.jasonnewton.net/blog/

I'm not really competing with Andre's blog as most of my posts concern 70s to 90s fashion and clothes.

But please feel free to visit and I'll try to add more vintage fragrance stuff.

Thanks again.

jason_newton

I've had to amend a detail here. This fragrance was introduced in1988 rather than1989.

It first appeared in November 1988. The USA GQ Magazine for November of that year carries a print ad for it on page 209. That info also needs to be updated by a mod in the directory - which currently lists it as 1989.

I can send visual proof if required.

Regards

Very nice. I prefer the non-concentree version though. Even though it was not so here, some of the release dates are for the US release dates. From the packing, your bottle was made for the UK market. Sometimes fragrances were released in France or Italy before the United States or even under different names. The non-concentree version was first called Bois Noir or something to that effect.

I bought Pour Monsieur for my Pa for Fathers day. Its quite nice. The concentree is nice but I somehow prefer the original much much more, as the citrus and lemon notes are more luminous.
    Last edited by Vinrambo09; 26th June 2014 at 03:05 AM.

Great find!

Congrats Jason and enjoy this gem.
    Currently wearing: Esencia Loewe by Loewe

DSC042323323.jpg
    I wanted to bump the thread only to point out that I've acquired some interesting vintage Pour Monsieur Concentree bottles, one that I believe might either be an even earlier release. This one is a 50ml splash, though it doesn't have a box with it. I'm told it smells fantastic - it is en route to me, as we speak!

BTW - Bois Noir is actually the precursor to Egoiste
    Last edited by AnthonyDG; 17th October 2014 at 12:29 PM.

The bottle of Pour Monsieur Concentree *vintage* from this splash I received is definitely heavier on the oakmoss! It does remind me more of Tiffany for Men in that respect, and with the vanilla notes as well. A gem I will treasure.

Dependent

I recently acquired a boxed vintage 30ml of the pour monsieur concentree and it is indeed wonderful!
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Hello, just find a bottle of Pour Monsieur Concentre. I smell it and I immediatly thought sycomore, maybe I was influenced by the bottle design but i don't remender so much greeness in Pour Monsieur... batch code 9291, does anyone know how old it could be I 2015 from check cosmetic?

There is no spayer it is a splash bottle

Why the pic is not straight? Must be the metric system..

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by keram View Post
    Hello, just found a bottle of Pour Monsieur Concentree. I smelled it and I immediately thought Sycomore, maybe I was influenced by the bottle design but I don't remember so much greeness in Pour Monsieur... batch code 9291, does anyone know how old it could be, I get 2015 from check cosmetic?

There is no sprayer, it is a splash bottle.
    Way older than 2015. It's from some time in the 1990s, probably. That bottle is beautiful, and the fragrance inside is great, oak moss, vanilla, and what else? There's some magic in that formula. 200 ml is a handy size. I can't say enough good things about this one.