Code of Conduct

Default What scents have gotten you the most negative comments from women?

When I first got into fragrance, it was cause I was looking for something to wear on a date. I have since come to appreciate perfume as an art, and I no longer base what I like on wether or not someone else will like it. I now like some of the more polarizing scents, things like kouros, absole pour le soir, musc koublai khan, etc. (Although I consider mkk to be very easy to like, but apparently not everyone does.)I even like montecristo by masque, which is definitely not your typical fragrance.

My question is, although I don't wear these scents because I want someone else's approval, I wonder if any of these stronger scents are off putting to the people around me. I know absolue pour le soir took new a few wears to really appreciate it; I don't want to leave rooms and have people whisper to each other, "that guy smelled like a barn." Lol.

I'm planning on buying a full bottle of apls tomorrow, so it has me thinking about it.

Default Re: What scents have gotten you the most negative comments from women?

Antaeus is the only scent that I got a lot of negative feedback on. I ended up trading my bottle away as I don't want to be that guy everyone avoids because of his cologne.

Only once back in 1968 by a girl I had previous dated. It was Balafre.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Dark Aoud.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    With the amount you own that is truly an astonishing statistic

Only negative comments have been from my wife. The ones she really hated were:

Chanel Allure Pour Homme
    Bond No. 9 - Little Italy
    Montale - Black Aoud

And she doesn't like Montale Chocolate Greedy - She was giggling the whole evening saying I smelled like Willy Wonka. Personally, I take that as a compliment, but I don't think she meant it that way.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Drakkar Noir, Chanel Antaeus, Cerutti 1881 Amber (though the latter more of a "mixed bag", the more unexpected compliments on this one tended to even it out).

Monsieur de Givenchy was "weird" and opium pH was "the worst thing you own" xD.
    Last edited by Switch245; 15th June 2014 at 04:05 PM.

Forgot to add another story about, well... not so positive fragrance feedback. It is actually quite funny like a lady-friend of mine, knowing of my passion and also my liking for powerhouse, gifted me with a bottle of Fendi Uomo which I like and which I later on put on for a party at her place, knowing she might like this fragrance anyway. Another mutual acquaintance was also there at this party and as soon, as she sensed Fendi Uomo on me, said something like: "Eew, this smells like unkempt, poorly groomed, aging, brutish sweaty men" (which was even more surprising since I was much younger back then and my grooming close to being manically, painstakingly elaborate, thoroughly cleansing, clean-cut etc. as usual, so little/no chance of any "off" note to have worsened, altered this fragrance or its skin development).

Wow...let's see....

ADP Colonia Oud (horrid stuff)
    Balenciaga Pour Homme (terrible)
    JO Malone Lime and Basil (someone said it smelled like B.O. on me....)
    Looking for Byredo Pulp -

Not counting some of the cheapies I've worn over the years, Bois du Portugal has only gotten me negative comments from women consistently with nary a positive. Oddly enough, the few guys who commented on it said it was great. Go figure ..

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My girlfriend dislikes this too, in 2013/14....!

The only other fragrance of mine I can recall her complaining about was By Kilian's Back to Black. She's been very positive about everything else, as far as I recall.

A great scent but got negative feedback and didn't work with me "Ambre Russe" by Pde
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I got quite a violent reaction when i wore M7 as well as Gucci Pour Homme I.

Basenotes Plus

Montale Boise Vanille. Nobody likes this except me. Wife, gfs, random women all express their disdain for this fragrance
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

SMN Peau d'Espagne. A girl friend thought I smelled like a gas station. My wife thinks many of my frags are a bit feminine.

My girlfriend just said Romeo Gigli Uomo smells generic and vintage Quorum by Puig smells like armpits.

I'm sitting here writing it and she's still alive, that's the power of love!
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Slumberhouse - Ore
    Parfum d'Empire - Cuir Ottoman
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Geo F Trumper - Curzon

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

My sales - WORLDWIDE | Vtg Signoricci 1 & Signoricci 2 - EDT 200 ML BNIB | http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...DT-200-ML-BNIB

My wife [B]hates[B] YSL M7.

Aventus....seriously. I have yet to encounter a female who likes it, including my wife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

None, so far.

A female friend was sniffing a few of my bottles. She said Aventus smelled like a country club kind of man, and she definitely did not mean it in a good way.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Cool Re: What scents have gotten you the most negative comments from women?

Route du Vétiver
    Salvador Dali Pour Homme

I can't imagine why.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Balenciaga Pour Homme (terrible)
    (Formerly Jouho)

Unfortunately my beloved Cinnabar and Mitsouko....the collapse of the modern sense of taste.

I've never gotten negative comments from anyone but my wife. The ones she absolutely couldn't stand on me were Fahrenheit, LIDG, LIDGE, DHI, and GPH1. With Fahrenheit, she said it reminded her of the overdose of cucumber melon body sprays and lotions that everyone bought in her teenage years. LIDG/LIDGE "stink" according to her and smell like a an "old man". She couldn't stand the sweetness of DHI and found it to be the furthest thing from a masculine scent. And finally, as soon as I applied GPH1, she made a horrified face and said: "Get rid of that." One encouragement: her favorite of my collection is Aventus.

A friend of mine crinkled her nose and said "Ewwww! It smells like turpentine!". The fragrance was Tom Ford Oud Wood.

The only ones I asked my SO not to wear again were CK Obsession and Givenchy Pi. I love Fumerie Turque, MKK, Heeley Cardinal and LIDG on him.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    Aventus....seriously. I have yet to encounter a female who likes it, including my wife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep, same here! Also it seems like most of the woman in my life don't like heavy patchouli scents...both LIDGE and Kokorico come to mind. Which is strange because I think they smell like delicious chocolate goodness?!:/

My wife usually refrains from commenting at all, but she particularly disliked Himalaya.
    Just say no to oniomania.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    ...Salvador Dali Pour Homme

I can't imagine why...
    My daughter (who has a very keen nose) once told me i smelt like one of our dogs, the first time i wore SDpH
    She's had to live with it since. Wifey has always thought i am a bit wierd, though she likes most of my frags.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by steve0580 View Post
    A friend of mine crinkled her nose and said "Ewwww! It smells like turpentine!". The fragrance was Tom Ford Oud Wood.
    My wife generally dislikes anything Oud related on me, the main exception being Oud Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    ...Bois du Portugal has only gotten me negative comments from women consistently with nary a positive. Oddly enough, the few guys who commented on it said it was great. Go figure ..
    This has been my experience with BdP pretty much to a tee! "Your cologne is really strong" can be expected from women when wearing BdP

Monsieur Balmain. Neither wife nor daughters like it, which surprises me. Who doesn't like the smell of freshly cut lemons?

A co-worker told me: "You smell like my grandmother. I mean, my grandmother smells nice, but the scent you are wearing is not for young men!". I did not tell her what I was wearing. But I'll tell you: It was "Santal Majuscule" by Serge Lutens.

Basenotes Junkie

Knize ten. Every time i wear it my wife gives me a comment on how it stinks. But i like it so i keep wearing it.

Rick

+1. I've sampled Knize Ten and gotten negative reactions from family members. One of my daughters tells me it smells like Smarties candy every time I wear it.

Only one - Cigar by Remy LaTour - have I been asked to NOT wear and had an old g/f who hated anything with a strong musk base