Code of Conduct

Default New Free to a good home, no requests, no hogs- 06/15/2014

Offering samples and bottles for free will be allowed here. Let's see if we can do this without asking for sample shipping costs. If someone offers samples and then later receives some, the costs should be a wash. Shipping samples in a small sandwich type baggie and then placing them in a bubble wrap envelope should cost no more than $2.00 U.S. Bottle shipping requests must be for typical shipping costs. Even though the bottles are free please pack them carefully! This should be a fun and conflict free experience. Please do not ask for more than one freebie per month. We do not want "freebie hogs" to ruin the experience for everyone else. Requests are not allowed here, as doing so would be outside the marketplace rules and allowing it would lead to requests from those who do not meet marketplace requirements. Please state to whom you have sent samples. Some reply by PM so no one knows who got them. We want to be able to see if anyone is "hogging" the sample giveaway. Regarding shipping out of one's country- Although some have no problem with this, it is certainly not an obligation. Some must wait on line at an actual post office to do so as opposed to being able to ship domestically from an annex. So let's not disparage those who state CONUS or EU ONLY, for example.

All responses to giveaways should be public so there is no question as to who was first. It may be wise to first post publicly and then follow with a PM with one's address.

Default Re: New Free to a good home, no requests, no hogs- 06/15/2014

Rather than limit the number of samples each member can claim, which would involve further moderation. I suggest that if a member has already claimed recently, then they should just say so instead of being limited by a specific number. Then if the sample has no other claimants then that person can have more than one per month if they please.

These are being given away to people who would like to have them, and sometimes those are people who have just started and might require more samples of all sorts than someone established. How about those who have received lots of samples just re-offer them afterwards like a sample pass. I dislike the idea of a limiting ruling on a free to a good home thread because it doesn't seem a positive thing to judge who is worthy or not.

I shall kick off with some random 1ml vial samples taken from the vintage man box. Will have to be UK unless you want to risk it not arriving. (I don't mind).

Aramis - Tuscany per Uomo Forte
    Azzarro pour homme
    Eternity - Calvin Klein
    1881 - Cerruti
    Goodlife - Davidoff

more in a mo

Denim - Denim
    Polo Green - Ralph Lauren
    Mandate - Eden Classics
    Lacoste pour Homme
    Tabac original - Maurer & Wirtz
    Ambre - Molinard
    Noir - Network Health & Beauty
    Jazz - YSL

That'll do for now and you can claim one, some or all. I will just have to send them in envelopes 4 at a time in the UK because of the wretched system.
    Last edited by mumsy; 15th June 2014 at 02:43 PM.

I agree that if no one claims a sample then someone should be able to get it even if it is their second or third. But what should be the elapsed time allowed?

How about the claimant merely states this is their second or third claim that month, starting on the 1st day to the last of each, and then they just take second place to the next person who hasn't that many times? Does that make sense?

So say person A claims the above and says yes to perfume X then in brackets says (claim no 2 in June 14). Then if no-one else claims, it goes as normal.

If person B comes along with none in June, they get first dibs.
    If person B comes along but says yes please to perfume X (claim no 3 in June 14) then person A gets it.

Clear as mud????

Also it shouldn't matter how many samples were in the offer either. Only the number of claims, whether for one vial or 100. It should still count as one claim.

This will be the problem with imposing any rules at all. Rules need clarifying and monitoring. Usually all that is needed is a little common sense instead IMO.
    Last edited by mumsy; 15th June 2014 at 03:18 PM.

Blog Entries

I'd just like to say its nice of you all to do this- especially in the UK. Keep up the good work.

Post Re: New Free to a good home, no requests, no hogs- 06/15/2014

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    How about the claimant merely states this is their second or third claim that month, starting on the 1st day to the last of each, and then they just take second place to the next person who hasn't that many times? Does that make sense?

So say person A claims the above and says yes to perfume X then in brackets says (claim no 2 in June 14). Then if no-one else claims, it goes as normal.

If person B comes along with none in June, they get first dibs.
    If person B comes along but says yes please to perfume X (claim no 3 in June 14) then person A gets it.

Clear as mud????

Also it shouldn't matter how many samples were in the offer either. Only the number of claims, whether for one vial or 100. It should still count as one claim.

This will be the problem with imposing any rules at all. Rules need clarifying and monitoring. Usually all that is needed is a little common sense instead IMO.

A bit of common sense should work, imo

These threads don't seem to be that heavily used but if it makes it easier to see what's going on I could start new ones monthly?
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

mumsy- Your idea is based on the honor system, but that is exactly what has been a problem.

lpp-They should be started monthly so they are more user friendly.

O.K., stuigi - will do that from now.

The thread didn't seem even active enough as of late to have hogging? It seemed most were heeding to the claiming once a month thing and many put up some of their stuff for giveways shortly after claiming? Also, the word 'hogs' in the title makes the thread uninviting.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

It's due to complaints on the MFD thread and they are sort of linked as both are open to all, so they need to be run in the same way.
    Last edited by lpp; 16th June 2014 at 01:24 PM.

I didn't think it had been very active for such behaviour either. I often look but don't often take.

A monthly thread with a nice inviting title is a lovely idea. It would keep the offers fresh as well and any such hoggery would be contained and then dropped monthly.

Oh dear. I liked to read this thread too, although I never did ask for anything,and I have been trying to find the time to offer up some stuff too. This new title is so hostile. What a terrible pity.

I think it was only to make the point. It won't stay for the monthly thread I'm sure.

How about

JUNE - free to a good home. Giving and receiving without requesting.

Blog Entries

l agree that the title is very unwelcoming. This saddens me, because as far as l was aware, there had been very few problems with the original thread, & very little recent activity. l had been thinking of offering some samples soon, but now l think l'll wait.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Don't wait, feel free. I think we should pick up where we left off.

Lets get going with the real subject in hand.

No-one has asked for any of mine yet. Shall I offer some from the girl boxes instead?

Good idea, mumsy

Any existing U.K. member - please choose four samples from my wardrobe sample list.
    Last edited by lpp; 16th June 2014 at 08:29 PM.