Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Cigarette #1 - the Amazing little cologne from China

Just returned from a trip to China, where I got this awesome little juice. This is called "Cigarette #1" - a rather strange name - and is produced by GF. GF is a Chinese line of male grooming products that belongs to the state-owned Shanghai Jahwa United, one of the oldest and biggest Chinese cosmetics corporations (think Shiseido), that has several lines like Liushen, MAXAM, Jia An, Herborist, Chinfie, etc. GF is pronounced gaoerfu, meaning golf.

Anyway - this is like all my beloved vintage male colognes rolled into one. Imagine Balafre with heavy tobacco streak, pronounced anise note a-la Azarro PH, and leathery base not unlike Antaeus. Projecting, long-lasting, high-quality perfume made with all those legendary giants in mind. I bought it on spot, and the next moring while wearing it I got two nice compliments from Chinese girls on smelling good. And the girls from China are very reserved, mind.

So, if you are going to China one of these days, give it a try. I think any big chain of cosmetics stores should have the GF counter, check it out. This is one exceptional woody chypre of old-school quality.
    Last edited by Russlan; 16th June 2014 at 07:16 AM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cigarette #1 - the Amazing little cologne from China

Your description makes me have to seek this out. I have been pleasantly surpised by frags most will easily overlook, and this sounds like one of them.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Essence Musk by Ferrari

If it's as you describe Russlan then for me it's a must have. Nice find.

What was the price on this?
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    If it's as you describe Russlan then for me it's a must have. Nice find.

What was the price on this?
    For Chinese product it's rather pricey - I bought my 30ml bottle for 125 yuans, which approximately equals $22.00. My guess the price reflects the quality of ingredients: the composition smells very natural, wouldn't be surprised if they use the real oakmoss in it.
    Last edited by Russlan; 16th June 2014 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russlan View Post
    For Chinese product it's rather pricey - I bought my 30ml bottle for 125 yuans, which approximately equals $22.00. My guess the price reflects the quality of ingredients: the composition smells very natural, wouldn't be surprised if they use the real oakmoss in it.
    Thanks Russlan. I have some Chinese contacts here so I will seek a bottle of this out. Real oak-moss. Blind buy.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Basenotes Plus

Let's hope someone sells it online...
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

I will have to inquire about this with my Chinese pals that do travel ever so often to Hong Kong or Shanghai, well see but I'm thoughtful of getting anything from over there although they do already produce everything and anything we use on a daily basis basically if not China , Japan and South Korea but I'm tentative that it might be tainted with a note of " LEAD ​" in the composition ...
    Last edited by magnus611; 16th June 2014 at 01:16 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    I will have to inquire about this with my Chinese pals that do travel ever so often to Hong Kong or Shanghai, well see but I'm thoughtful of getting anything from over there although they do already produce everything and anything we use on a daily basis basically if not China , Japan and South Korea but I'm tentative that it might be tainted with a note of " LEAD ​" in the composition ...
    Not to defend Chinese products in general, but believe me, it's very unlikely that the state-owned Jahwa has anything harmful in its products, the battle for local cosmetics market between the domestic brands and international conglomerates like L'Oreal and P&G is fierce, stakes are high, the number of consumers is unthinkable, this GF brand has men's skincare line made of the desert plants, and whatnot - they are very creative, organics-conscious, etcetera - in the mid-90s I would myself be worried about things like lead and such, but these days they are probably safer than Shiseido. China is very different now from what we used to think of it.
    Last edited by Russlan; 16th June 2014 at 01:56 PM.

"This is like all my beloved vintage male colognes rolled into one. Imagine Balafre with heavy tobacco streak, pronounced anise note a-la Azarro PH, and leathery base not unlike Antaeus. Projecting, long-lasting, high-quality perfume made with all those legendary giants in mind."
    Hi Russlan - this sounds ace - what a great find. It's invisible on the internet - can't find a single mention of it. I would definitely buy some if it was available online.

Basenotes Institution

Sounds awesome.

Personally I can't imagine encountering a fragrance with the name "Cigarette #1" and even sampling it much less buying it. Glad to hear it's so special.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

I tell a lie - I found the website - here it is:

http://www.gf-china.com.cn/clandetai...?cid=25&pid=72

Please can someone provide a translation?

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    I tell a lie - I found the website - here it is:

http://www.gf-china.com.cn/clandetai...?cid=25&pid=72

Please can someone provide a translation?
    Does anybody speak and read Cantonese or Mandarin to translate details on this web link kindly posted ...lol
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

No copy-and-paste allowed on the site. Otherwise, Google Translation might be helpful.
    One if by land...two if by sea...three if by air....
    Mike I'm Erika Grate , a Djin!--Or a Nym?
    Currently wearing: Relax by Davidoff

worthy_sam

I think so too since it would be hard for IFRA to get Chinese State owned company to follow their guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Does anybody speak and read Cantonese or Mandarin to translate details on this web link kindly posted ...lol
    I think I could help, but later today

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    No copy-and-paste allowed on the site. Otherwise, Google Translation might be helpful.
    Haha! True kbe - I tried that too...!

See how you've got us all hooked Russlan!!!!!

Now let's see what the picture says:

Main tone (ME - I think this should be translated correctly as top notes): Green herbaceous rosin (colophony? resin? - this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosin), cool, fresh, and delightful. Mandarin extract and lemon powder give a refined fruity aroma.
    Key notes (ME - middle notes?): Italian special lavender and oakmoss, long lasting fragrance.
    Details: pure natural oakmoss extract, natural cedar composition, combined with tobacco plant fragrance, and leather, that is strong and mature.
    Composition (ME - I think this is the basenotes): tobacco leaves.
    30ml
    128 yuans.

--

Now, I don't see the anise anywhere in the description, but this could as well be the "green herbaceous rosin" or something. I was correct in suspecting the real oakmoss, and the overall classic vintage feel of the composition: see the leather, natural cedar, "Italian special lavender", and tobacco.

Now I'm curious about the rest of the line. I actually tried the "Temptation #0" (the very first one pictured on that website), but was SO impressed with this Cigarette #1 that I never bothered to give Temptation enough attention - I recall it to be a summery aquatic-fruity kind of affair.
    Last edited by Russlan; 17th June 2014 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy_sam View Post
    I think so too since it would be hard for IFRA to get Chinese State owned company to follow their guidelines.
    This is correct. IFRA is no authority to them. Domestic product made for domestic market.

Sounds interesting. Will definitely look it up if I find myself in the region.

Wow - I LOVE the sound of this. Chances of getting it in the UK - Nil I would imagine....dammit....!!!!!!!

And only £12 in GBP....aaaaaaarrrghhh!!!

Basenotes Plus

Any volunteers amongst the splitters for a quick trip to China?

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    If your paying for the all expenses trip with a stay at the five star Shangri la hotel. I'm sure you will have a lot of takers. lol
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Hmm, if we include the cost of a flight from Japan to China for me it will meet the price qualifications for splitting...
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

I travel to China two or three times a year, next time I go I'll bump this thread, and could get a couple of bottles for the most curious basenoters, problem is I just got back from there four days ago, next time I'll be there in the end of September hopefully.

Basenotes Plus

We'd either have to do it privately or on the Splits board 'though, but thanks, Russian!

Would love to try it too. Did anybody else catch the spelling on the bottle in that ad? It says "Cigareette No.1" - unfortunately googling that doesn't produce better results though.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

I would love a bottle also. Though I imagine you will probably have a ton of request by the time you go.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

taxation is theft

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Your description makes me have to seek this out. I have been pleasantly surpised by frags most will easily overlook, and this sounds like one of them.
    Same here.
    for swap/sale: