Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Out with it.. what is the worst blend you have ever made?

Paul, you're referring to the fellow in Tempe, Arizona...the fellow who had an article about him and his nursery in The New York Times?

I should give the URL, which is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/ga...he-garden.html
    Last edited by islearom; 21st June 2014 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    My worst contained: cocoa absolute, vanilla absolute, cardamom, tonka bean and aldehyde c11. Awful stuff, it ended up getting completely over-powered by the cardamom. It's still just mulling, I haven't sniffed it in a while...not sure what I'm going to do with it.
    That ought to work really. I bet it improves with some volume altering.

Quote Originally Posted by velvetseven View Post
    Mumsy, have you read Patrick Süskind's novel "Perfume"?................. Is that what you were thinking of when you attempted your "eau du 1700s London"? ;-)
    I absolutely loved that book at the beginning, then it slowly sank into author depravity until the last chapter that epitomised perversity in the extreme. I absolutely hated it then. The pity was, that it was so very good and evocative a beginning and there was so much plot left to be really difficult and exciting with. I felt like tearing the last chapter out and rewriting the end for him. The author just got fed up and gave up it seemed.

... and no, my son had a play he was in, and he wanted a particular perfume to release at a certain scene to make it evocative. It worked really well. It was a bit too nice though. I had terrible trouble making it nasty and we didn't actually wish to gas the audience.
    Last edited by mumsy; 22nd June 2014 at 07:11 AM.
    Currently wearing: Gilda by Pierre Wulff

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    Ho.. So did anyone ever manage to make something wearable with coffee, or does it always end badly?
    One of the best coffees ever is our lovely Profumos here. Milano caffe

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    So let down....... the flower wasn't opened yet, and so didn't smell...

He even showed me his collection of Frankincense and Myrrh trees.
    What a shame.... you know you will have to return.....

....The others a small recompense and a delight. I would love to see these.
    Last edited by mumsy; 22nd June 2014 at 07:19 AM.

Basenotes Member

Oh, a giant arum! Fascinating! Ours here at the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh bloomed last August. It created as big a stir as the giant rubber duck that also made an appearance in Pittsburgh last summer. Our giant arum, or "corpse flower", was named Romero in honor of the Pittsburgh native who directed the horror classic "Night of the Living Dead". I didn't catch Romero in bloom - the conservatory was packed every day for two weeks around its bloom time - but I do understand that the, ah, odor left nothing to be desired!
    "Just as the waters of all the great oceans of the world have but one taste, the taste of salt, so too do all true teachings have but one taste - the taste of liberation." --The Buddha

Paul Kiler

Oh, a giant arum! but I do understand that the, ah, odor left nothing to be desired!
    Still, I want to smell it... the primary odor molecules seemed to be listed as sulphur types.
    Here's the PR Release from the Local TV station:
    http://www.nbclosangeles.com/enterta...264159221.html

Maybe I'll go in tomorrow then...

Wikipedia: "Analyses of chemicals released by the spadix show the “stench” includes dimethyl trisulfide (like limburger cheese), dimethyl disulfide, trimethylamine (rotting fish), isovaleric acid (sweaty socks), benzyl alcohol (sweet floral scent), phenol (like Chloraseptic), and indole (like mothballs).[16][17]"

Went to a Lavender Farm/festival today. MUCH more pleasant... :-)

PK
    Last edited by pkiler; 23rd June 2014 at 02:04 AM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

..... as the giant rubber duck that also made an appearance in Pittsburgh last summer.
    Like this duck in Manchester?

I saw this Dracunculus vulgaris before and if the article is current then you have inspired me me to go and see (smell) it again.

How about some enfleurage????

Basenotes Member

Yes, Mumsy, just like that duck! There's actually a small fleet of them that travels around the world.

And now it's time for me to come out with my worst blend ever. I came to perfumery through essential oils and aromatherapy, and that's all I've ever had so far. I had read about clary sage, and its therapeutic and fragrant benefits, in some of the aromatherapy books I had at the time. Please understand that I was very young and foolish, and that this was long enough ago that e-commerce in essential oils wasn't at all what it is today, and that I was mostly limited to Aura Cacia oils, which was the only brand available in my hometown, perpetually ten years behind the rest of the country.

So I had finally managed to lay my hands on some clary sage oil. I remember it seeming like a holy grail at the time. And at the first sniff out of the bottle - it was dreadful. It smelled like mothballs to me. But I figured the aromatherapy angels couldn't be wrong, so I mixed up what was intended to be a fresh, herbal blend with maybe 1/3 clary sage.

Today, some 20 years on, I've come to terms with the fact that clary sage simply isn't to my taste.

--Linda
    "Just as the waters of all the great oceans of the world have but one taste, the taste of salt, so too do all true teachings have but one taste - the taste of liberation." --The Buddha

Hey Nizan, the problem is cardamom is quite overwhelming in the batch which completely distracts from the cocoa absolute. The vanilla absolute, tonka and aldehydes seem to simply amp up the cardamom. I was hoping for something more along the lines of a cocoa-vanillic-gourmand and ended up with a singular cardamom note really. I created it a while back when I first started playing around with E/Os and absolutes...I didn't do much testing, I was more or less fractioning oils into a blend that I thought would work. Needless to say, I learned my lesson!

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    rynegne - strange that this mix doesn't work.. And overwhelming Cardamon doesn't sound so
    bad.. Would you elaborate on where do you find the problem? Could it be a clash between the
    aldehyde and the Vanilla?
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 60ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium) / Oudhy (Dark Rose, Dried Woods, Oud, Musk)

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    My worst contained: cocoa absolute, vanilla absolute, cardamom, tonka bean and aldehyde c11. Awful stuff, it ended up getting completely over-powered by the cardamom. It's still just mulling, I haven't sniffed it in a while...not sure what I'm going to do with it.
    One dimension to explore is eugenol-related. Cardamom by itself in that context -- aldehyde issues aside -- as a solo spice, might tend to be a little cloying, and the eugenol (and/or similar) could counteract that in a generic manner. Or you could reduce the cardamom in the future, or you could try ladanum, benzoin or tobacco?
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 24th June 2014 at 05:15 AM.

I never thought about trying eugenol, thanks for the suggestion DrSmellThis. I had been contemplating tobacco prior, but I believe eugenol might be more fitting as would benzoin.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis View Post
    One dimension to explore is eugenol-related. Cardamom by itself in that context -- aldehyde issues aside -- as a solo spice, might tend to be a little cloying, and the eugenol (and/or similar) could counteract that in a generic manner. Or you could reduce the cardamom in the future, or you could try ladanum, benzoin or tobacco?
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 60ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium) / Oudhy (Dark Rose, Dried Woods, Oud, Musk)

Too much aldehyde C12 MNA in an experimental blend. I was going for metallic, ended up with "nose hairs on fire".