Code of Conduct

Default Out with it.. what is the worst blend you have ever made?

I've posted this for a laugh and primarily at my own expense.

I have been working so very, very hard for a long while on a particular fragrance to get it just right. I also happen to be working on a pretty rose accord too. Both projects are entirely unrelated.

I wore the rose accord this morning to go out, in order to experience its latest mods dry down during a car journey. However as I was leaving, I found the smell just too strong and realised I was about to get into a small space wearing it. So I dashed back in and without much time or thought, decided to tone it down on my hand with a jot of number 6, the best version of the other perfume because it was a sombre one compared.

All was well on the way and all was well on the way back, but as I entered the house, I asked my son if he had been spraying insects with bug spray...... You've guessed it.... no.... it wasn't him, it was me.

I've taken the p*** for a long time about aromachemicals in new perfumes smelling like bug spray perfumes...... lol.

Now I can make my own natural version. This is absolutely identical to fly spray......... lol and double lol at myself.

Default Re: Out with it.. what is the worst blend you have ever made?

I've made something that smelled like Cedar and a pimpled teenager..

I make at least one or two blends a week that are absolutely horrendous. That is partially because even if I am lacking inspiration and have nothing specific to work on, I still force myself to do at least one new formula/accord per day, even if it is only 5-6 materials. Some of my greatest triumphs and revelations have come from this method. Also, some of the worst things I have ever smelled in my entire life have come from this method.

Either way, if you learn something, it's still a positive experience. I, for one, have learned which materials, when mixed in exacting proportions, can be used as non-lethal weapons in case of riots.

I made Aftel's "Alchemy" blend from her book. I should have left out the ylang ylang. It smelled good until then. I realize I don't like ylang ylang. I will give it some more time to age, but don't have much hope.

Another stinker was a flower extravaganza that had a couple drops of patchouli. I realize that even *one* drop of patchouli is one drop too many.

Important lessons learned as I'm only making these for me.

The Husband is my guinea pig for most of my experiments. He will have one of four reactions. (Well, maybe a couple at once...)

1) Sneeze. An allergen is involved.

2) Say "FOOOOOOO!" (That's husband-speak for "Bad.")

3) Say, "Huh." (Neutral reaction.)

4) The very, very, rare, "That's nice."

I made a nifty blend of Iso E Super and Oakmoss that I thought smelled nice on me. The Husband said I smelled like furniture polish. Well, if he's going to work on the car and smell like diesel fuel, I can smell like furniture polish!

Mercifully, he likes vanilla.
    Last edited by MissVanilla; 16th June 2014 at 05:12 PM.
    "This, what is it in itself, and by itself, according to its proper constitution? What is the substance of it? What is the matter, or proper use? What is the form, or efficient cause? What is it for in this world, and how long will it abide? Thus must thou examine all things that present themselves unto thee." Marcus Aurelius

I mixed coffee with lily of the valley. Not a good mix at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrestomanthic View Post
    I mixed coffee with lily of the valley. Not a good mix at all.
    I still need to have a go with Skunk and Coffee... It will be a real challenge for it NOT to be a real stinker...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Too many to mention!

Sometimes mistakes turn into happy accidents. I still experience FOOOOOOO! quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I still need to have a go with Skunk and Coffee... It will be a real challenge for it NOT to be a real stinker...

PK
    You may well find it doesn't. I tried to make a proper stinker for a sons project once. The more stonkers I put in, the nicer they smelled. It removes the fear.

The more I work on my current difficult project, the more I'm beginning to be convinced that perfume doesn't work like crayons or paints. It works like light. The more colours you use, the nearer you get to white. It reinforces the vibrational theory.

All of my previous attempts with coffee didn't produce anything.. Seems like it can only work in gourmand mixes..

I've been planning my worst blend for months and hope to start mixing soon. I hope
    it doesn't turn out nice like yours Mumsy.

One of my worst was a gunpowder accord which smelled interesting in the container
    but was an instant scrubber on the skin.

I was trying to mix smelly London in the 1700's or something like that for a history project. It's actually really hard to make things smell bad when you are trying to. It only does when you're not.

A blend of citrus notes, Bergamot, Neroli, Pink Grapefruit and waaaaay too much Galbanum - was bitter, bitter, bitter.
    The Little Blue Bottle Premium Perfume Kits Now Available
    https://twitter.com/TLBBPPK
    http://www.thelittlebluebottle.com.au/

Oh now I remember one. I made a horrible accord to use in women's perfumes, just experimenting with off notes. It was a lot of cumin, nutmeg, acetic acid, butyric acid, and maybe valeric acid. Everything that smells bad in one place. Then I added some horrible fake deer musk accord, from where I forget, but it was not skilfully composed. I think there was also some poorly composed synthetic civet that I got from some random place on the internet.

The thing was very bad, and did not get better with years of time.

I've done a lot of experiments with off notes, body notes, and animal notes, many of which turned out quite badly. These were quite a few years ago.

But what's the fun of perfuming if you can't make bad things?

That sounds like a superb stinker.

Going to see/smell a Corpse Flower Tomorrow...

Will report...

Then Lavender fields on Sunday...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Now I can make my own natural version. This is absolutely identical to fly spray......... lol and double lol at myself.
    I can absolutely confirm that the scent of Aeroguard, is jasmine, rose and tea tree oil. Don't ask me what the hell I was doing mixing them, I can't quite recall but it did end up in a body balm I made and could consequently never use.

Going to see/smell a Corpse Flower Tomorrow...

PK
    Cool. Like this one? I saw a stinker at the Oxford botanical gardens a few years ago but it didn't smell as bad as I expected.

Surprisingly, I think I'd try Skunk & Coffee Paul!

My worst contained: cocoa absolute, vanilla absolute, cardamom, tonka bean and aldehyde c11. Awful stuff, it ended up getting completely over-powered by the cardamom. It's still just mulling, I haven't sniffed it in a while...not sure what I'm going to do with it.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Coffee is just this side of rancid smelling anyway (see: coffee breath). So my intuition is that that accord would would tend to magnify the worst aspects of both skunk and coffee (unless skillfully modified, of course). In other words, go for it!

Basenotes Member

Mumsy, have you read Patrick Süskind's novel "Perfume"? What a horrible, but oddly fascinating story; it's like a car wreck, you're horrified but you can't look away. The main character, Grenouille, has been born with an incredible gift of the sense of smell, but without a scent of his own. He smells of nothing at all, and is consequently ignored and overlooked by everyone he meets - until he composes an artificial 18th century body odor for himself. As I recall, he starts out with cat sh!t, rancid cheese and something he scrapes off the sides of a barrel that has held preserved fish, and goes from there. Is that what you were thinking of when you attempted your "eau du 1700s London"? ;-)
    "Just as the waters of all the great oceans of the world have but one taste, the taste of salt, so too do all true teachings have but one taste - the taste of liberation." --The Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Cool. Like this one? I saw a stinker at the Oxford botanical gardens a few years ago but it didn't smell as bad as I expected.
    So let down, I watched the evening Local News Yesterday,, and saw a young boy holding his nose walking around the flower. So I assumed it smelled...

But the flower wasn't opened yet, and so didn't smell...

Corpse Flower Closed small.jpg

It doesn't smell until it opens... So, Now I have to determine if I want to go back, it's a bit of a drive, 120 miles total (193Km)

But at least I have the cellphone of the gardener, so I can ask beforehand if it's smelly...
    :-)

He even showed me his collection of Frankincense and Myrrh trees. THAT was a real treat too.

And also a mysterious flowering tree, that I have posted in another thread, that they don't know what it is... Beautiful smelling though...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Hmm.. they can grow Frankincense in California? Maybe I can grow one here as well..
    I'm really curious about that flower - please please write something if you get a chance at its
    heavenly scent
    rynegne - strange that this mix doesn't work.. And overwhelming Cardamon doesn't sound so
    bad.. Would you elaborate on where do you find the problem? Could it be a clash between the
    aldehyde and the Vanilla?

Ho.. So did anyone ever manage to make something wearable with coffee, or does it always end badly?

One of the O'Driu's has a lovely coffee but I don't remember which as it may have been one that was never released for general sale - it may have been the one made for a certain private client.
    Will have to dig out the samples!
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Do you remember how did they make it work? I mean - what other prominent notes worked with it? Was it still gourmand?
    Thanks

I'm not sure but it looks like the one that I'm thinking of was spicy, toasted biscuity & tea-ish...not gourmand really in the usual way as none of them are sweet/heavy things.

Will have to dig it out!

They tend to have a distinctive herbal type of thing going on and various non-sweet versions of vanilla but I'm sure that coffee has contributed in some.

My brain isn't working atm.
    Last edited by lpp; 21st June 2014 at 09:08 AM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

I would have to add here that my worst would be variations on the theme of Eau de Turpentine.

Nizan, Frankincense (Boswellia) probably would do just fine where you are. It is collected in Oman from wild trees (sort of close to you, I think), and it is grown in southern Arizona by a fellow that takes an interest in preserving the various species.

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    Do you remember how did they make it work? I mean - what other prominent notes worked with it? Was it still gourmand?
    Thanks

Nizan, there are many coffee noted perfumes, My Cafe Diem is one...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by islearom View Post
    Nizan, Frankincense (Boswellia) probably would do just fine where you are. It is collected in Oman from wild trees (sort of close to you, I think), and it is grown in southern Arizona by a fellow that takes an interest in preserving the various species.
    Interesting that I talked to him on the phone yesterday, when the Gardener I was visiting showed me his Frankincense trees...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Paul, you're referring to the fellow in Tempe, Arizona...the fellow who had an article about him and his nursery in The New York Times?

I should give the URL, which is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/ga...he-garden.html
    Last edited by islearom; 21st June 2014 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    My worst contained: cocoa absolute, vanilla absolute, cardamom, tonka bean and aldehyde c11. Awful stuff, it ended up getting completely over-powered by the cardamom. It's still just mulling, I haven't sniffed it in a while...not sure what I'm going to do with it.
    That ought to work really. I bet it improves with some volume altering.

Quote Originally Posted by velvetseven View Post
    Mumsy, have you read Patrick Süskind's novel "Perfume"?................. Is that what you were thinking of when you attempted your "eau du 1700s London"? ;-)
    I absolutely loved that book at the beginning, then it slowly sank into author depravity until the last chapter that epitomised perversity in the extreme. I absolutely hated it then. The pity was, that it was so very good and evocative a beginning and there was so much plot left to be really difficult and exciting with. I felt like tearing the last chapter out and rewriting the end for him. The author just got fed up and gave up it seemed.

... and no, my son had a play he was in, and he wanted a particular perfume to release at a certain scene to make it evocative. It worked really well. It was a bit too nice though. I had terrible trouble making it nasty and we didn't actually wish to gas the audience.
    Last edited by mumsy; 22nd June 2014 at 07:11 AM.

Ho.. So did anyone ever manage to make something wearable with coffee, or does it always end badly?
    One of the best coffees ever is our lovely Profumos here. Milano caffe

So let down....... the flower wasn't opened yet, and so didn't smell...

He even showed me his collection of Frankincense and Myrrh trees.
    What a shame.... you know you will have to return.....

....The others a small recompense and a delight. I would love to see these.
    Last edited by mumsy; 22nd June 2014 at 07:19 AM.

Basenotes Member

Oh, a giant arum! Fascinating! Ours here at the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh bloomed last August. It created as big a stir as the giant rubber duck that also made an appearance in Pittsburgh last summer. Our giant arum, or "corpse flower", was named Romero in honor of the Pittsburgh native who directed the horror classic "Night of the Living Dead". I didn't catch Romero in bloom - the conservatory was packed every day for two weeks around its bloom time - but I do understand that the, ah, odor left nothing to be desired!
    "Just as the waters of all the great oceans of the world have but one taste, the taste of salt, so too do all true teachings have but one taste - the taste of liberation." --The Buddha

Oh, a giant arum! but I do understand that the, ah, odor left nothing to be desired!
    Still, I want to smell it... the primary odor molecules seemed to be listed as sulphur types.
    Here's the PR Release from the Local TV station:
    http://www.nbclosangeles.com/enterta...264159221.html

Maybe I'll go in tomorrow then...

Wikipedia: "Analyses of chemicals released by the spadix show the “stench” includes dimethyl trisulfide (like limburger cheese), dimethyl disulfide, trimethylamine (rotting fish), isovaleric acid (sweaty socks), benzyl alcohol (sweet floral scent), phenol (like Chloraseptic), and indole (like mothballs).[16][17]"

Went to a Lavender Farm/festival today. MUCH more pleasant... :-)

PK
    Last edited by pkiler; 23rd June 2014 at 02:04 AM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

..... as the giant rubber duck that also made an appearance in Pittsburgh last summer.
    Like this duck in Manchester?

I saw this Dracunculus vulgaris before and if the article is current then you have inspired me me to go and see (smell) it again.

How about some enfleurage????

Basenotes Member

Yes, Mumsy, just like that duck! There's actually a small fleet of them that travels around the world.

And now it's time for me to come out with my worst blend ever. I came to perfumery through essential oils and aromatherapy, and that's all I've ever had so far. I had read about clary sage, and its therapeutic and fragrant benefits, in some of the aromatherapy books I had at the time. Please understand that I was very young and foolish, and that this was long enough ago that e-commerce in essential oils wasn't at all what it is today, and that I was mostly limited to Aura Cacia oils, which was the only brand available in my hometown, perpetually ten years behind the rest of the country.

So I had finally managed to lay my hands on some clary sage oil. I remember it seeming like a holy grail at the time. And at the first sniff out of the bottle - it was dreadful. It smelled like mothballs to me. But I figured the aromatherapy angels couldn't be wrong, so I mixed up what was intended to be a fresh, herbal blend with maybe 1/3 clary sage.

Today, some 20 years on, I've come to terms with the fact that clary sage simply isn't to my taste.

--Linda

Hey Nizan, the problem is cardamom is quite overwhelming in the batch which completely distracts from the cocoa absolute. The vanilla absolute, tonka and aldehydes seem to simply amp up the cardamom. I was hoping for something more along the lines of a cocoa-vanillic-gourmand and ended up with a singular cardamom note really. I created it a while back when I first started playing around with E/Os and absolutes...I didn't do much testing, I was more or less fractioning oils into a blend that I thought would work. Needless to say, I learned my lesson!

rynegne - strange that this mix doesn't work.. And overwhelming Cardamon doesn't sound so
    bad.. Would you elaborate on where do you find the problem? Could it be a clash between the
    aldehyde and the Vanilla?

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    One dimension to explore is eugenol-related. Cardamom by itself in that context -- aldehyde issues aside -- as a solo spice, might tend to be a little cloying, and the eugenol (and/or similar) could counteract that in a generic manner. Or you could reduce the cardamom in the future, or you could try ladanum, benzoin or tobacco?
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 24th June 2014 at 05:15 AM.

I never thought about trying eugenol, thanks for the suggestion DrSmellThis. I had been contemplating tobacco prior, but I believe eugenol might be more fitting as would benzoin.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis View Post
    One dimension to explore is eugenol-related. Cardamom by itself in that context -- aldehyde issues aside -- as a solo spice, might tend to be a little cloying, and the eugenol (and/or similar) could counteract that in a generic manner. Or you could reduce the cardamom in the future, or you could try ladanum, benzoin or tobacco?

Too much aldehyde C12 MNA in an experimental blend. I was going for metallic, ended up with "nose hairs on fire".