Not counting private blends or exclusives:
Pascal Morabito- Or Black
YSL- Opium EDP
I may have thrown Kouros or Fahrenheit in there, but reformulations have butchered them for the most part.
If you had to pick three 5/5 (in your opinion) designer scents to be the only ones in your collection for the rest of your life what would you pick? I'm looking to drastically cut down my collection and have 3 "perfect scents" for me that I just refill when it runs out and use forever.
I know one of mine would be
1) La Nuit de L'Homme (love the powder)
but I have to find 2 more.
Here are a few IMO:
Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche
Chanel Bleu de Chanel
Gucci Pour Homme II
Hermes Terr d'Hermes
Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio Essenza
Scentstory - 24 Gold
Pierre Balmain - Monsieur Balmain
1. Creed - Spice & Wood
2. Creed - Aventus
3. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
5. Puredistance - Black
6. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
8. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
9. Creed - Royal English Leather
10. Brückner - Aoud 1
Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.
Speaking strictly of designer scents: Eau Sauvage EDT, Versace l'Homme, Very Valentino pour Homme (plus another bonus suggestion: my absolute favorite Armani Eau pour Homme).
Bel Ami (Current or Vintage)
Terre d'Hermes EDT
Narciso Rodriguez for Him (Original)
Giorgio for Men (vintage)
Anat Fritz (original formula)
Captain Molyneux (vintage)
Monsieur de Givenchy (vintage)
Current Top Favorites:
1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
4) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie
6) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
CdG 2 Man
Anat Fritz Tzora
Gucci pour Homme
Tom Ford Sahara Noir
Bentley for Men Intense
Potion Royal Black
Gucci Pour Homme I
Gucci Pour Homme II
Dior Homme Intense
Fahrenheit (vintage) or not
DH n DHI
GV by TF
"The one "
"Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "
PS London, Polo Modern Reserve and GPH II are perhaps my three favourite designer scents, of those that I've tried. That said, those three together probably don't add up to the most balanced trio, so if this was a real life choice I'd probably want to substitute in a summery citrus for one of the latter two.
Tiffany for Men
Last edited by mr. reasonable; 23rd June 2014 at 04:33 AM.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov
#1 would be easy: Dior Homme Intense as I would buy that even if it were a $250 niche fragrance.
#2 Allure Homme Edition Blanche
#3 Angel Men Pure Coffee
Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman
Dior Homme (Fall and Winter, formal scenarios and maybe causal. Possibly the most elegant designer fragrance ever.)
Dior Homme Intense (Fall and Winter, great for nights out, dates, close quarters. In my opinion the most sexy, playful and elegant scent for that scenarios)
Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche (Spring, Summer and Fall. Versatility at its best. Works perfect for every scenario. Masculine, refined, and it exudes some kind of "calmness" if that makes any sense, sort of GPH II)
"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
Or what's a heaven for?"
- Robert Browning, "Andrea del Sarto"
Dior Homme, even though I don't wear it that much
and........go ahead and laugh, but.......CK One Summer! What can I say, it's a guilty pleasure and I wear it a lot.
Maybe Habit Rouge? Does that count as designer?
Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I wanna choose one from the Dior Exclusifs -- but is that 'designer'?
Hmmmm...only 5 designer fragrances. Here is what I'm thinking just off the top of my head'
- Bleu de Chanel, as it works well in almost any situation in any season
- Acqua di Gio, there is a reason this is one of the best selling men's fragrances of all time.
- Dior Homme, this is another wonderful fragrance that works well almost anytime anywhere
- Burberry London if I had to pick just one fall/winter holiday fragrance, it would be this one (or perhaps Eau des Baux)
- Dolce and Gabbana The One, I don't care that the performance is so bad, I love this one
Or Black (2014, which I actually prefer)
Rive Gauche Pour Homme ("tin can" version)
Vintage Zino Davidoff
Vintage Dior Fahrenheit
Vintage D&G Pour Homme
Thierry Mugler A*men
Azzaro pour homme (vintage)
Givenchy Gentleman (vintage)
Gucci pour homme I
Armani Eau pour homme
Monsieur de Givenchy (vtg)
Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme (vtg)
"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
They're a lot but if I had to pick 3:
Gucci Rush ph
Versace Blue Jeans
Davidoff Cool Water
Silver Mountain Water
Totally agree with OP about La Nuit.
I'll also add:
JPG Le Male
Terre D'Hermes EDT
Chanel Bleu De Chanel
Chanel Allure Homme Sport
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest
- Benjamin Franklin
Midnight in Paris EDP
Comme des Garcons Wonderwood
I could live with those, easy.
Outside looking in:
Hermes Terre d'Hermes
Gucci Pour Homme 2003
Gucci Pour Homme II
Pour Monsieur Concentree
Habit Rouge EDP
La Nuit de l'homme
- Varvatos Vintage
- Terre d'Hermes Parfum
- Hanae Mori HM, which I'd keep for wearing on dates.
- Dior Homme Sport, which I'd keep for summer days.
I'm not saying these are 5/5. I'm saying, if I had to limit my entire collection to just a few scents - all designers - these would probably be my picks. When limiting a collection, I think it's wise to think about your needs. Work? Dates? Weekends? Summer? Winter? Formal? Casual? ...? Think about all of the things you do, and make sure you've got your bases covered.
Since you said you're looking to drastically cut back your collection, here's my advice: Tonight, take every single bottle you own and put them all away in a big box. Tomorrow, pick one to pull out of the box to wear, and put it where you currently keep your favorite scents. Which did you pick? Each day, remove another from the box to wear, but ONLY if you need it more than one you've already pulled out of the box. And if you change your mind about one you pulled out previously, put it back in the box. After a while, you'll end up with a small collection of scents you get a lot of use out of, and you'll have a box of scents you don't need.
Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 17th June 2014 at 04:05 AM.
"Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam
Is the juice worth the squeeze?
YSL L'Homme Libre
CdG 2 Man
My current top 10 fragrances :
1. Amouage Jubilation XXV
2. A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue
3. YSL L'Homme Libre
4. Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
5. Rania J. Ambre Loup
6. Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant
7. Parfum MDCI Ambre Topkapi
8. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser
9. Heeley Sel Marin
10. by Kilian Back to Black
Derby - Guerlain
Héritage (EDT/EDP) - Guerlain
Habit Rouge (EDT/EDP) - Guerlain
Knize Ten - Knize
l'Essence de Must de Cartier - Cartier
Antaeus - Chanel
Sycomore - Chanel
Opium pour Homme (EDP) - YSL
Terre d'Hermès - Hermès
Beyond Paradise for Men - Estée Lauder
Last edited by Trauerkraut; 17th June 2014 at 11:11 AM.
Hmmm...only 3. That's a tough one esp for those of us who rarely wear the same scent on consecutive days. Here's my shot:
Bleu de Chanel - need something versatile and suitable for just about any situation/climate. BdC fits that bill.
Tiffany For Men - also fairly versatile for me, and somewhat unique regardless of all the comparisons to PMC, PdN NY, etc. Don't believe I would ever get tired of TFM.
Kouros - I'd simply rather not be without it. I've yet to come across Orange Spice, but in my view *nothing* smells like Kouros. And of course I mean that in a good (no...GREAT) way!
Hermes - Bel Ami
Chanel - Pour Monsieur
Dior - Oud Ispahan
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
* Serge Lutens rules *
Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre
Versace Pour Homme
Top 5 Winter Frags:
1) Tabac Rouge
2) Scent of Peace for Him
3) Amyris Homme
Easy for me - Dior Homme Intense. I sniff the cap and am paralyzed. I love this scent.
CHANEL Pour Monsieur
Dior Leather Oud
I'm sticking with the classics:
Dior's Eau Sauvage
Armani Eau Pour Homme
Runners-up: Cacharel pour homme, Bijan for men, Pierre Cardin, Monsieur Balmain
I haven't tried that many yet, but so far it's definitely Fahrenheit. Love that sucker.
I can't settle for 3... too few. Need at least a couple for warmer and cooler months.
Hermes - Bel Ami (vintage)
Chanel - Antaeus (vintage)
Davidoff - Zino (vintage)
Versace - L'Homme (vintage)
Chanel - Pour Monsieur Concentree
^ If I had only these, I'd be happy... although I would still miss quite a few.
John Varvatos Vintage
Top 5 for Winter:
1) Musk Oud - By Kilian
2) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
3) Back to Black - By Kilian
4) Encre Noire - Lalique
5) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."
Dior - Bois D'Argent
Chanel - Bois Des Iles parfum
Chanel - Cuir De Russie parfum
Chanel - N°5 parfum
This is a toughie, but here goes.
1. Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme. Amazing lemon, wood, a little cigarette ash, and oakmoss. (This cologne is a timewarp back to 1973!)
2. Paco Rabanne. Soapy, green, and oakmossy! (Another antideluvian survivor from when men and women were direct with each other and meant business! And any aqua fragrance that dared show its pale watery face at a cocktail party would have been laughed out of the room.)
3. Dune Pour Homme. Fig leaf, moss, and a sweet flowery scent, jasmine maybe? (If Lawrence of Arabia wore a cologne, this would be it. This is a wind swept oasis full of date-filled palm trees and aromatic desert flowers. This is a tent in the middle of nowhere full of the finest furniture and wares that Victorian England could produce, under a star-filled sky and full moon casting its pale glow over snow-white dunes for as far as the eye can see.
4. Burberry London. Sweet, dry, spicy, and very Christmassy. ( A chilly day, a warm trenchcoat, and a steaming cup of coffee.)
5. Habit Rouge. Sweet, heady and refined. ( This is Simon Templar in "The Saint." This is the mid-sixties in a bottle. When I die, I want a bottle of Habit Rouge put into my coat pocket so that I can smell amazing in the afterlife.)
1. Gucci Envy
2. Dior Homme Intense
3. Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme
IMO those 3 cover every season and occasion that you may encounter.
USAFAMMO9's Swap Thread:
My 5/5 designers:
Gucci pour homme ii
Still to this day, one of my favorite designer fragrances is...
Ralph Lauren - Safari for men
Awesome, super masculine scent.
Paco Rabanne Pour Homme