Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions from wet shavers

Hi all,

For all of you wet shavers out there, I would love to hear what combinations of shaving cream, aftershave balm and cologne/edt you use daily.

By way of example, today I used TOBS St James shaving cream, Geo Trump Skin Food (Coral) aftershave balm and I decided to use an unscented Kiehl's moisturister, and then finished it off with Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

Interested to hear what others include in their daily routine.

Default Re: Suggestions from wet shavers

Soap

Cella red jar soap
    Razorock King of the Castle lavender soap (absolutely great shave everytime and foams very easily)
    Godrej Shaving Cream (blue tube)

AS

Nivea AS (white bottle cream one)
    Razorock King Louis Lavender spray
    Razorock la Familigia Zi Peppino green tobacco
    Old Spice

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

I don't shave daily (far from it infact) but when I do, I particularly enjoy Acqua di Parma's Collezione Barbiere products. I also own a few a/s balms of fragrances (including Grey Vetiver), but generally speaking the AdP line is my favourite.

In my case, it is usually:

Proraso Green shaving soap
    (optionally, Proraso Green pre- and -post shave cream)
    HJM pure boar brush
    Alverde Men organic face wash before, for both sanitizing and softening skin and growth
    Alverde Men organic after shave balm
    as well an ingrown hair treatment from some obscure local brand, in natural spray fluid form, based mainly on propolis and soothing, astringent, refreshing herbs

also considering to get a Muhle R89 DE razor sometime soon, to make the traditional shaving experience closer to becoming complete

As a final note: SOTD/SOTE freely, liberally, randomly chosen, as both my current AS balm but also other similar products from different brands I might use, especially AS in balm/cream form are often quite odorless, unscented, neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by thoosero View Post
    Cream: Proraso Green/Proraso Red/Speick

Splash: Proraso Green/Floid Original (always in the rotation) ; Imperial Bergamot (currently - fine, but not as good as Proraso/Floid...)

Donimo

Jack black shaving products are the best for me.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

Highly recommend the following shaving soaps and creams:
    * Castle Forbes - Lime or Lavender
    * Martin de Candre - Scented or Fougere
    * Antica Barbieria Colla - Bitter Almond
    * Los Angeles Shaving Soap Company - Topanga Fougere or Bespoke No.1

Aftershaves:
    * Myrsol Agua Balsamica
    * Speick Original splash

Both of these can be purchased easily from Gifts and Care in Spain.

For a moisturiser, I highly recommend Aesop Primrose Facial Hydrating Cream.

I am very sensitive to any alcohol/oil/fragrance on my face - therefore any fragrance only goes on my torso or sometimes clothes. Currently, I use a Mach 3, with Lush's Ambrosia shave cream, then wash that off with Living Energy Systems Silver-MSM soap. I then moisturise with LES S-MSM lotion.

I shave while in the shower, I use skintimate raspberry rain lol as for aftershave I use something from l'oreal or neutrogena.. I cant remember

Hi!
    Just moving to our Men's Grooming section.
    Thanks.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Just like fragrances, something different every shave. I shave 5 or 6 days a week and have about 15-20 soaps and creams I rotate. I also have about 40-50 A/S's I use depending on mood, weather, what fragrance I'm going to wear etc.

Since you asked yesterday was Edwin & Jagger limes and pomegranite cream
    Followed by Thayers cucumber aloe witch hazel
    Saint Charles Shave coconut A/S
    Finished with a few sprays of Gucci PH II

Just curious, it seems like following Trumpers skin food with a moisturizer would be redundant? But whatever works for you

I shave barely weekly due to my teenagers' beard*, however this is my rotation:

Razor: Merkur 1904
    Blades: Astra, Q-Ball, Gillette 7'O.C. Sharp Edge
    Creams: Truefitt & Hill Rose/Almond/Trafalgar/1805, Geo F Trumper Sandalwood/Eucris, D R Harris Arlington/Malborough, TOBS Shaving Shop
    Aftershave: TOBS Jermyn Street

No pre-shave. I also have a "cleaning routine" which comprises basically Zirh cleanser, Zirh scrub, Biotherm T-Pur cleansing gel (it's some deep-cleanser with clay), and my beloved Men-U Matt Moisturiser. I also have an Anthony Logistics Clay Mask which I use once in a while as I find it quite useless but fun to use.

(*not that I'm a teenager)
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 16th June 2014 at 08:11 PM.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

I have around 20 soaps, 20 creams and 20 brushless creams/gels. In general, their scents don't last long enough to worry about.

And I have lots of different aftershave balms and splashes which I would use for soothing my skin after shaving (wet or dry). But while most are good to extremely good, they have all become redundant - because applying alum was infinitely superior on me. Now, after applying alum, I can pretty much apply any of the otherwise nasty designer aftershave splashes without suffering in the process and later.

To my mind, what scent one wears after wet shaving is pretty much irrelevant to the fact of wet shaving. Though if one uses a strongly scented, yet soothing after shave splash (i.e. the sort that are nearly as good as balms) like Halston Catalyst or anything by Trumpers or Mennen Skin Bracer - then you'd want an EDT that roughly matched them, if you didn't already have the exact match.
    Regards,
    Renato

I use Czech & Speake shaving soaps (No.88, Oxford & Cambridge) exclusively.
    Double ( / triple) the price of others, but the the quality of lather makes it worth the extra cost.

I don't use an aftershave balm, per se. Just a toner followed by a moisturiser (Liz Earle in both cases).
    Works for me.

Shaving cream: Billy Jealousy

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I have simplified my shaving ritual to bare bones.

I have what I call medium facial/neck hair.

I first wet my face and neck with warm water. Then I use a beaver brush to work up a lather using the ultra-inexpensive but wonderfully performing Williams shaving soap bar. After the first complete shave I re-lather and shave in all directions necessary all areas that offer a feel of any trace of stubble. When finished shaving I rinse my face and neck with warm water, towel dry and use a small amount of Nivea High Performance Extreme Comfort Post-Shave Balm.

Done.

I am currently using from a 52-Pack of Gillette Double-Blade Pivot Soft Ultragrip disposable razors. I find that what dulls the blade most is moisture/water left on the blade, so after I finish shaving I rinse the razor thoroughly under running water, then vigorously shake the razor to remove as much water as possible, gently run the blade edges side to side on a soft towel and put it away, blades up and safe from contact. I get about 2-3 weeks of daily shaves before I notice the blade is beginning to dull and needs replacement (or I strop the old blade on the interior of my forearm a dozen or so times which usually gives me another week or more of good close shaves)

I've used many other shaving products in the past, including Merkur razors, Feather Blades, and a variety of shaving gels, creams, soaps, oils, balms etc. I find the current wet shaving regimen to be quite good and much less work compared to all the others I have employed in the past.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

It changes for now on the cheapie but goodie Tabac soap, fantastic stuff, special occasions Geo's GFT yeah!
    Greenbriar after shave. Regular body cream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I am currently using from a 52-Pack of Gillette Double-Blade Pivot Soft Ultragrip disposable razors.
    Your face is tougher than mine. I think of any of those one and two blade disposables as being real nasty - some are face destroyers, requiring five days of recuperation.
    On the other hand, Schick Extreme 3-blade disposables I think are pretty darn good.
    Regards,
    Renato

I agree with those who say that the scent of creams and soaps doesn't last, so doesn't figure into the equation when choosing an EdT. Cyril Salter's French Vetiver lasts longer than average so I usually pair that with a vetiver but it's no biggie.

I've experimented with lots of soaps and creams and found the best for me are Martin de Candre soap (£££), Palmolive cream (£) and TOBS creams (££). I alternate mainly between a Merkur Progress and Weber Polished, with Personna and Astra blades.

Today:
    -Proraso White pre shave cream
    -Art of Shaving Handmade Silvertip Badger brush
    -Art of Shaving Ocean Kelp lather
    -Mühle double edged razor in Rose gold w/Gillette platinum blade
    -Proraso White aftershave balm
    -Creed Millesime Imperial parfum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KCCO!

I have a selection of about 20 soaps, creams, aftershaves and an assortment of razors from the 1920's to the 60's and about 6 different brush's

Lately my favourite cream is Body Shop Macca root shave cream, I also like Razorock soaps, and just about all the Italian "croaps" or cream soaps,

Wet shaving, aftershave and fragrances just seem to go so well together,

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Chillionare View Post
    I have a selection of about 20 soaps, creams, aftershaves and an assortment of razors from the 1920's to the 60's and about 6 different brush's
    Same story here, lots of creams, soaps and brushes, and even more (straight) razors (I have a rotation of about 50 razors).
    I have less variety in aftershave stuff though. For starters only balms (I chucked out everything with alcohol), more in particular baume.be (the best one), Esbjerg (aftershave oil in winter, milk in summer), and Alvarez Gomez.

After experimenting with a few combinations I have come to the conclusion that what works for me is to use, as much as possible, unscented products during my shaving routine other than the cream itself, and the Edp I use. The scent from the cream wears off pretty quickly, but I enjoy it for the experience during the course of the shave. And then I get the main scent I want from the Edp. Otherwise using all sorts of scented products as part of the shaving routine firstly irritates my skin and secondly creates a whole mix of different scents.

I begin with a Proraso pre-shave balm, then lather up with Geo F. Trumper's violet shaving cream. After shaving, I use an alum block, then Proraso aftershave splash (alcohol-based to thoroughly disinfect and close pores). Following this, I apply Geo F. Trumper's coral skin food, and Edwin Jagger's aftershave (pomegranate and lime). If it is day time, I then use Jack Black's SPF 20 moisturizer.

All of these items are very lightly (and naturally) scented and help me get the perfect shave. 20 minutes after shaving (which is when I apply my fragrance of choice), these scents have all dissipated.

shower
    Aqua di Parma shave cream with Muhle brush lather on face
    Feather blade in feather as-d2 razor
    Thayers witch hazel
    Aloe Vera gel
    Moisturiser

Egoiste or PdN new York

I'm not an everyday shaver, as my beard doesn't grow that quickly yet (I'm 28). I usually exfoliate with a scrub in the shower on shave days. This tends to loosen up the follicles a bit.

I use Jack Black Beard Lube, once with the grain, then reapplied and against grain. This is the most comfortable stuff I've used that is also easy and portable and doesn't require a sink (I shave in the shower).

Quote Originally Posted by thoosero View Post
    Hi all,

For all of you wet shavers out there, I would love to hear what combinations of shaving cream, aftershave balm and cologne/edt you use daily.

By way of example, today I used TOBS St James shaving cream, Geo Trump Skin Food (Coral) aftershave balm and I decided to use an unscented Kiehl's moisturister, and then finished it off with Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

French artisan soap Le Père Lucien (unscented), Boots freshood aftershave lotion or balm, then Hermès Concentré d'orange verte.