Code of Conduct

Default Education & Advice needed please.

I am new to the enjoyment and appreciating cologne and its complexities and need some assistance.
    2 parts:

Part One:
    I am in need for some suggestions for summer colognes?
    I live in South Mississippi so it is HOT & Humid. I dont have a favorite type of scent to list but I do have Creed's Virgin Island Water on my wish list. If you can make a few suggestions and give me a brief run down on the scent I will greatly appreciate it!

Part Two:
    What time of year is it suggested to wear the fallowing colognes:
    - Aventus (Creed)
    - la unit de l'homme (Yves)
    - Spicebomb (Viktor & Rolf)
    - 1 Million (paco rabanne)
    (I've purchased these after samples and I am just not educated enough to know what will impact them or whats appropriate for each time of year. Is ediquette enough that even an appropriate place or each should be known or am I going to deep...?)

Thank you for your help!!!

Default Re: Education & Advice needed please.

Welcome to you!

To answer your first question:

My suggestions: Monsieur Balmain
    South Bay
    Mugler Cologne
    Givenchy Vetyver

I'll let other Basenoters chime in for their take on the second part as I don't distinguish between seasons in choosing my fragrances.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Welcome to you!

To answer your first question:

My suggestions: Monsieur Balmain
    South Bay
    Mugler Cologne
    Givenchy Vetyver

I'll let other Basenoters chime in for their take on the second part as I don't distinguish between seasons in choosing my fragrances.
    Thank you very much for the suggestions. Gonna look into some samples after a while.

Is basically fresher ones for warm climate and deeper opulent ones for colder climate. I don't hold it as an incontrovertible truth because it all depends on what I feel like wearing that day but there are times that I do hold to that perception on scents, nevertheless you wear what you like when you like. The only advise I can give is just that every scent has it's amount of sprays needed to shine and there is times that a particular scent would do fine with 1-2 sprays, even so your knowledge of how a scent works on you should lead you to a comprehensive approach as how to handle the trigger, for ex ...If you're going to church and you want wear a particular scent that you know already is heady then do a half a spray or so as to not overwhelm anyone and if you're wearing a light one like L'Humaniste then no amount of sprays will offend anyone....welcome to basenotes ....Cheerios
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Welcome!

For hot and humid weather (I live in DC, which is not as hot as MS but hot nonetheless), I like vetivers a lot. Vetivers smell fresh, slightly green and dry, very natural, and they tend to last well (always a difficult thing for the heat). My favorite is perhaps Chanel Sycomore (expensive, but actually cheaper than Creeds). Easier to find and still good ones are Guerlain Vetiver and Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

The other two common types of perfumes for hot weather are citruses and marine. I have a personal dislike for marines, they smell like decayed sea life to me, but most people like them, and they are probably the most popular type of scent for men (examples include Acqua di Gio, Eau d'Issey, Light blue). Citruses are fresh and natural, but they tend to disappear quickly (often, the drydown of citrus frags that last is entirely different, and less pleasant).

As other people said, there's no rule for wearing what when, whatever you find pleasant. Just don't overspray. Personally, I'd prefer to wear the ones you've listed in not so hot weather. Of course, if one stays in air conditioned spaces all the time, then it might not matter much anyway.

cacio

Excellent responses from Hednic, Magnus and Cacio. Only thing I'll add is this: I've recently discovered Dior Homme Sport for hot weather so it may be worth a try for you. Very accessible if you happen to have local stores such as Sephora or Macy's at your disposal. Good luck.

Thanks to everybody for the easy to fallow responses, advice and recommendations. Feeling much more comfortable.