Code of Conduct

Thread: Smokey leather?

Default Smokey leather?

Tuscan Leather is one of my favorites. It could be my signature scent if I had to pick one.

However id like to get something that's a big smokey leather.

I have a sample of Mona di Orio Cuir. I need to revisit it because if I remember correctly, I thought it was basically Amouage Interulde Man without the amber. If I remember It also didn't last very long?

I'm really interested in Knize Ten. But I've never smelled it and there were a couple reviews that said it was a very perfumey on top of leather.

Can these two be compared to each other even?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Default Re: Smokey leather?

Hermes Bel Ami Vetiver is a good option.
    For Sale - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 8/20

Top 5
    ----------------------------------
    Kiton - Men
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Midnight In Paris EDP
    Guerlain - Homme L'eau Boisee
    Comme des Garcons - Wonderwood
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003

Maybe hard leather by LM. My smokiest is patch 24, but it's not leather.

Franck Boclet Leather fits the bill.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Actually patchouli 24 is a great example. Since there is no actual leather ingredient in perfumery, the leather accord is made up mostly of patchouli, laudanum and or birch tar and pryrogene storax oils if I'm not mistaken (if I am someone will correct me).
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

I second Patch 24. Not a straightforward leather as the TF, but it contains many of the materials usually associated with leather. Plenty of smoke too. You can smell it at Barney's in Chicago.

Knize Ten does have a touch of smoke, as a part of its gasoline-automotive note. Everybody has his own notion of perfumey, so it's hard to know what they meant. It does have some flower to smooth out the butch leather,and it is much more complex than the straightforward TL. If you will, I'd say it gives the impression of a pre-war European aristocrat who likes to participate in car races. Unfortunately, I don't know if it can be smelled anywhere in Chicago.

cacio

Knize Ten is not really a smokey leather but rather a florally/soapy leather. Try CdG 2Man or Gucci Pour Homme for smokey leather.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I second Patch 24. Not a straightforward leather as the TF, but it contains many of the materials usually associated with leather. Plenty of smoke too. You can smell it at Barney's in Chicago.

Knize Ten does have a touch of smoke, as a part of its gasoline-automotive note. Everybody has his own notion of perfumey, so it's hard to know what they meant. It does have some flower to smooth out the butch leather,and it is much more complex than the straightforward TL. If you will, I'd say it gives the impression of a pre-war European aristocrat who likes to participate in car races. Unfortunately, I don't know if it can be smelled anywhere in Chicago.

cacio

That's exactly right. That's why I'm having such a hard time about Knize Ten. Almost everyone has a slightly different description about it.

I thought u was pretty familiar with most of Le Labo, but maybe I need to go sniff it again. I remember some people complaining it was reformulated. Is it still a good perfume?

Thank you everyone for the help!

In the Le Labo patch, they changed one ingredient - which resulted in a clear liquid (relative to the dark color of the previous). To my nose, however, the smell is just the same: a potent, smokey accord that resembles a major explosion in a chemical factory.

cacio

It's not listed in the notes, but I definitely get smoky leather in Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26130035.html

Kolnisch Juchten. Problem solved!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Basenotes Junkie

Mona Cuir was my first though. Cuirs from Carner Barcelona would also be a good shout. Lonestar Memories has a ton of birch tar in it and is quite smoky, but it has a medicinal start to it that is tougher to take for some. I don't get smoke from Knize 10 as others mentioned above.

thanks
    rick

Lonestar Memories by Tauer
    Lonestar.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    Maybe hard leather by LM. My smokiest is patch 24, but it's not leather.
    ...my smokiest is 'Eau des Îles' by Maître Parfumeur...but it ain't leather either...!
    I'd go for 'Accord Oud' by Byredo!
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 17th June 2014 at 11:45 AM.

So far, I found the smokiest leather notes of a fragrance in: Francesco Smalto pour Homme, G Man by Gainsboro, Fahrenheit Absolute, Fendi Uomo, Salvador Dali PH, Drakkar Noir as well as two fragrances that seem to be based on a similar concept without however identically copying their source of inspiration- Duc de Vrevins and English Blazer (even if some of these fragrances are only in part leathery, the smokiness is quite well developed and perceptible there and complements the more or less intense leather notes).

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26130035.html

Kolnisch Juchten. Problem solved!
    Totally agree.

Do try out Lutens Cuir Mauresque.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    It's not listed in the notes, but I definitely get smoky leather in Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese.
    It's good i'm not alone. What i exactly get is the smell of basketballs/footballs when you are in the sports section of a clothing store etc.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

How much more smooky do you want it as TL with its Saffron and smoky uber leather couch vibe arrives there but I guess you want to take a step further to super heady land TL is a L'ouevre!
    Last edited by magnus611; 17th June 2014 at 03:26 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

i've made an amazing discovery! In my search for a great smokey leather, i purchased quite a few bottles and some samples. But none were quite what i was looking for.
    Until i stumbled upon this in a small boutique:
    West Third Brand - Vintage Leather

This is right on the money. Its a huge smokey leather bomb. Its got that raw leather that i wanted. It almost tricks you into thinking if you touch your arm it will feel like a raw leather hide.

The only problem is that its super linear. And its got HUGE longevity. I got sick of wearing it half way through. So i won't be wearing it very frequently. I think i may try to layer it with something, that could be interesting.
    Last edited by aphexacid; 21st June 2014 at 07:19 AM.

Interesting, never heard of it!

Another big smokey leather is Irish Leather by Memo. I should say I don't much like it, or big smokey leathers in general, but it's very big, smokey and leathery, so if that is your bag it may please.

Leather Oud? Smells pretty smoky to me.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Leather Oud? Smells pretty smoky to me.
    My opinion either.

Quote Originally Posted by scooptn View Post
    Lonestar Memories by Tauer
    Lonestar.jpg
    +1
    Campfire and a saddle. Very masculine.

I was thinking Leather Oud as well, though the smoke in it is agarwood smoke rather than a more familiar smoke effect.

Santal 33
    Or Black

for swap/sale:

Cartier's La XIII Heure
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Etro - Patchouly
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Hermès - Bel Ami (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Micallef Royal Vintage for instance, Spanish Leather Geo F Trumper, Dior Leather Oud, Or Black and many others.

Gotta try Opus VII, leathery/oudy/smokey. Lovely stuff.