Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default niche fragrances made for women but can easily by worn by men

Well guys the title is self explanatory. Portrait of a lady is definitely on the list but i'd like to know what u guys think!

Default Re: niche fragrances made for women but can easily by worn by men

Many niche firms now advertise everything as unisex, as they should.

I fully agree with you that Portrait of a lady is a masculine powerhouse. For some perhaps more controversial examples, in Lutens, I think Feminite des bois is also suitable to men, with its rich woods, as is Tubereuse criminelle, despite the fact that tuberose is more typical of feminine perfumes. The butch leather Bandit was also created for women, but I don't see the problem with men sporting whips.

cacio

My SOTD: House of Matriarch Bohemian Black & Blackbird from them as well. Tom Ford Sahara Noir is my current favorite "branded unisex."

Basenotes Member

have any of you tried memoir woman by amouage and do you think it could be a masculine scent

I've only tried Opus VII and wasn't a big fan, at all, so I can't speak of Memoir Woman personally. Maybe some of our female posters can chime in!

Basenotes Member

ladies memoir woman?

Basenotes Plus

I did test it but don't remember much about it, which is very unhelpful - sorry

There are some reviews 'though.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

ADP Iris Nobile among many, many others.

I don't know about Memoir Woman, but several of the men that post on the SotD thread prefer Fate Woman to Fate Man...

I've worn Memoir Woman, from a sample, and I'm a guy. I wore it to an outdoor concert. Did I wear it or did it wear me? It is really strong.....almost too strong for me to pull it off.....but I felt it was ok for an outdoor setting. If you like incense I would say it's definitely worth trying, it's really dark incense to me, with a touch of floral but it's not a flowery scent by any stretch.....

I don't see why a guy wouldn't wear it, I do lean towards unisex/feminine fragrances, but I am a regular looking guy w/a beard, so why not? Just sample it first, because like I said it's really strong, a lot stronger than Memoir Man in my opinion.....but more memorable, too....heh.....

I think Memoir is man-friendly. I own it and find it very unisex. Some others I like which I think are unisex include Iris 39, Chambre Noir, Rose 31
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Basenotes Plus

Just about all the Chanel Les Exclusifs - marketed squarely at women, but there are plenty of guys out there wearing Cuir de Russie, 31 rue Cambon, Coromandel, Bois des Iles...

Some of the Amouage "Woman" versions are perfectly unisex - Jubilation 25, Epic Woman...

Tom Ford Sahara Noir and Black Orchid - marketed to women, but very often found in stores in both sections (men's and women's) and personally I think Sahara Noir may actually be more manly than unisex.

And let's not forget the classics like Shalimar, Mitsouko, Jicky... who would have thought so many guys would wear those?

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Just about all the Chanel Les Exclusifs - marketed squarely at women, but there are plenty of guys out there wearing Cuir de Russie, 31 rue Cambon, Coromandel, Bois des Iles...

Some of the Amouage "Woman" versions are perfectly unisex - Jubilation 25, Epic Woman...

Tom Ford Sahara Noir and Black Orchid - marketed to women, but very often found in stores in both sections (men's and women's) and personally I think Sahara Noir may actually be more manly than unisex.

And let's not forget the classics like Shalimar, Mitsouko, Jicky... who would have thought so many guys would wear those?
    Exactly, and you know, there are very masculine (IMO) female designer scents out there, but they are a little hard to find, I've tried:

Chanel Cristalle
    Gres Cabochard
    Moschino Moschino
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Guerlain Jicky
    Molinard Habanita
    Gucci Gucci Eau de Parfum
    Cartier Le Baiser Du Dragon

Jour d'Hermes can easily be worn by men, very unisex imo, summer appropriate.

This is not niche, but I would say Hermes Caleche Eau Delicate can be worn by men. Lots of cedar.

I would also add Caron Tabac Blond and Caron Poivre.

I would say if you enjoy a scent, wear it and ignore the marketing.

Also, wasn't Aramis first a women's scent. Reminds me of Cabochard, Bandit and Jolie Madame.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Creed Angelique Encens
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Just about all the Chanel Les Exclusifs - marketed squarely at women,
    Actually, I don't think they are. Never seen them described as masculine or feminine anywhere by Chanel. But you're right; they're definitely unisex.

Most niche at this point seem to be unisex, and I guess the general lack of mainstream marketing makes that easier. Obvious exceptions are Amouage or MFK, but I wouldn't let that stop me from wearing it if I liked it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Actually, I don't think they are. Never seen them described as masculine or feminine anywhere by Chanel. But you're right; they're definitely unisex.
    Both Fragrantica and Basenotes list every single one of them as feminine, not unisex. As far as Chanel - maybe they don't spell it out on their web site in literal way, but if you look at all their marketing materials, it's ONLY women shown in them. If you look at any of the Les Exclusifs on chanel.com, they are always listed with "GOES WELL WITH..." recommendations below - which are all lipstick. I don't know about you, but I don't know any guys who could pull off ROUGE ALLURE INTENSE LONG-WEAR LIP COLOUR lipstick... at least not in public. ;-)

But that's OK, I have a few favorites in the line and own a number of bottles - and I don't care how they are marketed. Chanel pretends these are all for women. So what...?

Oh my, there are so many fragrances (niche or not) marketed to women that actually work very well on men that we may as well admit, as we have many times in many other discussions, that the whole gendered fragrance thing is very silly. These days niche firms are more forward-thinking in this regard, with many if not most stating that their compositions are unisex. Even Amouage, with its Man/Woman pairs, has Christopher Chong saying that any of the fragrances are for either gender. And that house is a great example. I enjoy wearing

Lyric Woman
    Epic Woman
    Interlude Woman
    and to some extent Fate Woman

... really without any challenge or without feeling I'm purposefully playing with gender barriers (which itself is a fun and worthy thing to do, mind you). Visiting the Histoires des Parfums boutique in Paris, I bought a bottle of Tubereuse 1 to go with a bottle of 1728, because the iris-over-tuberose accord of the former is exquisite to me. I can blame a masculine-marketed scent, Dior Homme, for stoking my love of iris.

I sneak on my sample of Le Labo Ylang 49 sometimes when I'm alone, as I think it's swooningly beautiful. Probably plenty of guys could wear it easily, but for me it has strong (positive) associations with my mother -- she must've worn something with a similar rich, chypre-like accord (I think Poison was her signature for a while). I'm not afraid of smelling like a woman so much as I want to preserve that association.

In any event, the subjectivity of olfaction gives us great range for exploration and some exciting effects of contrast. Everyone should play a bit more and see what works.