Code of Conduct

Thread: Bygones

Default Bygones

List one fragrance that, technically, is still easily available and maybe you even smell on passerbys every now and then,
    but you personally think it should stay only in memories. In other words, you can agree that it was an excellent scent
    in it's heyday, but in this day and age, it's no longer relevant(or whatever reason you want) and shouldn't be a SOTD anymore.

I'm going to nominate CK One for this. I (almost) loved it back then (never owned a bottle though), but I actually don't want to smell it ever again.

So, what would you like to see stay in history to never return?
    Last edited by RS2AM; 18th June 2014 at 11:12 AM.

Default Re: Bygones

The whole Miyake calone thing - best consigned to the early to the 90's.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    You're saying the whole house of Miyake or just the original pour homme or....?

Joop Homme for me. I own it but almost never reach for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RS2AM View Post
    You're saying the whole house of Miyake or just the original pour homme or....?
    Pretty much all of them - that I've smelled anyway

I tried the Yuzu and Lotus ones the other day - shockers. The Yuzu seems to collapse into the usual very synthetic masculine 'woodsy thing' after about ten minutes.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 19th June 2014 at 06:34 AM.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Cool Water
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Several Coty fragrances, most of them still easily available, but for some reason worn too often during my younger days to be truly interesting anymore.

Ralph Lauren Polo, classic version in the green bottle. Didn't like it back in the day, and time has not been kind to it.

Green Irish Tweed. It was the only one of the "modern" Creeds of that period (MI, SMW, Himalaya) I liked, but I sold my bottle a few years ago and have not missed it even for a moment. The whole aquatic thing just sings functional perfumery to my nose anyway. Fabric softener/toilet cleaner/air freshener hell...Don't want that on my skin!
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Giorgio For Men. Loved it back in the 80s and 90s but if anything smells "dated" to me (and I don't use that term very often) it's this one. Probably wore it too often back then.

A guy on my job years Old Spice religiously. Everytime this guy walks by me, I feel like I'm watching a back to the future repeat. It was a great frag in it's time, but I think it's time is up.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

To be honest, i cannot have really liked a frag years ago, and no longer like it today. Part of why i have ended up with such a modest collection
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Terre d'Hermes

Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

I'd have picked CK One also. It's still quite popular here; seems like the default for men who don't know what else to wear. But if I never smelled it again it would be too soon.

Oh, and Coco Mademoiselle. Loved it at first, but it's so played out now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I'd be OK not ever smelling L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme again. It makes me thinking of bug spray.

I'd also vote for any sort of Axe body spray. I understand the novelty at first, but I would really die happy if I didn't have to smell any one of them ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Cool Water
    + 1

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    Terre d'Hermes

But..but..why?

Cool Water
    You mean GIT Hednick...lol
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

Obsession. Wore it in my youth, couldn't see wearing it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

JPG Le Male
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Bijam and YSL's Jazz
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Oh, and Coco Mademoiselle. Loved it at first, but it's so played out now.
    I agree with this, and for the men, Aqua di Gio (these two are the most I ever smell on anyone any more). Too much of (what was once) a good thing is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DarshVader View Post
    But..but..why?
    I know it has a lot of fans, but to me it was just always overly dry, mineral/stonelike and somewhat boring despite the hype. As a sidebar in the 30-40 times I wore it when I owned it I never once received a positive comment, and twice received a putdown. Anyway, to each his own but it's a bygone to me.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    I know it has a lot of fans, but to me it was just always overly dry, mineral/stonelike and somewhat boring despite the hype. As a sidebar in the 30-40 times I wore it when I owned it I never once received a positive comment, and twice received a putdown. Anyway, to each his own but it's a bygone to me.
    +1 TdH gets hyped like crazy here, but I never warmed up to it. Not surprised about the negative comments.

Terre d'Hermes, Boss Bottled and AdG (I've moved on to Essenza.) None of these are bad, Terre, I own but never got into...Boss Bottled - I've moved on and found a much better/less synthetic replacement in Brecourt Esprit Mondain and AdG - like the Essenza a lot more than the original.

Cool water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obsession and Eternity would be my picks. They were a staple in my rotation during the 90's, now? I think I kept a bottle for nostalgia's sake only.

L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme & Aqua di Gio. Too sharp.

AND ALMOST ANYTHING WITH AOUD/OUD!!!

Cool Water
    "ditto".
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Drakkar Noir

Quote Originally Posted by weylin View Post
    L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme & Aqua di Gio. Too sharp.

[U]AND ALMOST ANYTHING WITH AOUD/OUD!!![/U]

Cheers to that!!!

Still easily available
    Smell on passerbys
    Badly dated

?

A: Cool Water

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Still easily available
    Smell on passerbys
    Badly dated

?

A: Cool Water

Lol, personally, I would agree with all of these except for Joop & Le Male, but if I would have owned those at the time it was first released, I might have a different opinion. As for Oud, I'm a bit torn. I'd like to see a slow down on the new releases though.

Cool water.
    Le male
    Opium
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Kouros

...Grey Flannel...!

Eau Savage
    It's had its day but nothing smells more dated to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancio82 View Post
    Eau Savage
    It's had its day but nothing smells more dated to my nose.

Sure, it's dated, but it's not *badly* dated...