Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ambergris in the UK

Hi
    New here so please let me know if im breaking any rules.
    Just looking for help, Christopher Kemp recommended I try here.
    I recurrently found 0.5 Kg or 1lb of Ambergris whilst on a beach holiday here in the UK (I Know I couldn't believe it But it has been verified by 2 independent parties). I was wondering how / where on earth I would go to sell it?

Any ideas
    (Please redirect me if this is the wrong place)

Thanks

Guy

ambergris 2.jpg
    Last edited by thatwelshguy; 18th June 2014 at 12:21 PM.

Default Re: Ambergris in the UK

Oh good grief forgive the spealing , cant amend the post yet

Basenotes Plus

Hi & welcome!

Someone will answer but please stick to one thread - the duplicate has been deleted.

Thanks.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Thanks ( Sorry )

Basenotes Plus

No worries
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Have you seen either of these?

http://www.ambergris.fr/

http://www.ambergris.co.nz/

Both say they buy ambergris. One in France, the other in New Zealand. You'd have to send them a small sample I think.

I will send the contact here to look.
    Currently wearing: Charisma by Avon

Thanks both, I have hooked up with Bernard Perrin at ambergris.fr and im sure hes good he sounds like a man who knows his stuff, just wanted to see if any others would be viable, and if there are any in the UK.

I would if I had that much money.... 1lb is rather a lot in one go. I suggest you try the Cotswold perfumery, Ormonde Jayne, Penhaligons.. Any of the UK perfumeries. It's too big a chunk for small fry. Good on you for finding it. Next time I'm in Wales I could have a look to check it for you if you haven't sold it by the end of July. In the meantime, don't handle it too much except with cotton gloves and keep it in a dryish place to dry very slowly in a good amount of air. A cotton bag or something breathable. Not in plastic.
    Last edited by mumsy; 18th June 2014 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks again, Think will probably stick with Bernard Perrin would just be good to get an idea of worth as a novice. I know its no retirement fund but if it pays for the holiday who can complain !

Hey Guy, thats a super chunk of ambergris! May we ask who has verified it as authentic? There's a chance someone here kniws them, or at least knows of them. There are a lot of ambergris fans here. Basenotes ambergris fans, surely there are enough of us to band together to purchase this impressive lump for a fair price and share it among ourselves!
    "Just as the waters of all the great oceans of the world have but one taste, the taste of salt, so too do all true teachings have but one taste - the taste of liberation." --The Buddha

Basenotes Plus

It'll pay for a very nice holiday, it's retail is $13,000
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

A nice large lump like this has a higher value as such for maintaining consistency. It is very easy to obtain smaller bits. Perfume houses need the biggies or someone intending a good large production run. Or of course someone with a spare few grand. I wish!!!

I'm near a UK beach on hols later this year. If you see an odd woman looking a bit like my avatar sniffing dodgy rocks, come and say hello....

And by the way Guy... keep it away from dogs or pigs... they will like it.
    Last edited by mumsy; 18th June 2014 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks. Yes my Jack Russell is kept WELL away from that nice lump! Kept in a cotton shroud in a dark ventilated location where its nice and safe. Funny thing is I wasn't looking for it , just went to move a rock out of the way of my towel, 30 seconds later a big grin spread across my face and I spend 1/2 a day lookingh for more, Fat chance of finding more I know especially up here in the north, But he who dares Rodney

Basenotes Plus

I think that I need a good one ounce chunk for verification purposes, you know, just to make sure you've got the right stuff!

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I think that I need a good one ounce chunk for verification purposes, you know, just to make sure you've got the right stuff!

PK
    Just the one ounce Paul ?

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, just one ounce is fine, really...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Hey now! How come the professional gets to have all the fun? I can compare an ounce of that lovely piece to the ones that I already have, for scent quality evaluation, of course! I'm super curious to see what the inside looks like, don't suppose I ever will though. What a great story Guy, thanks for sharing it with us. What's the color and scent like now? From the one picture you posted, it looks sort of darkish with streaks of amber...probably a less mature piece, then.
    "Just as the waters of all the great oceans of the world have but one taste, the taste of salt, so too do all true teachings have but one taste - the taste of liberation." --The Buddha

Make some lovely perfume and bathe in it.... lol. Perfumed in pure ambergris every day..... a king for a lifetime.

Basenotes Plus

Oh, and since you're a Brit, or thereabouts, you know us West Coast USA people have trouble with UK Geography... I've heard about people placing a bit of Ambergris into the Teapot lid so that every pot of tea gets some Ambergris infused into it. (Don't wash the lid...)

Never tried it myself, having not a monster stash of Ambergris to play with, but I would reserve a bit for yourself to play with before selling that rock on.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Ambergris with my lapsing souchong mmmmmm 😋

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by velvetseven View Post
    Hey now! How come the professional gets to have all the fun? I can compare an ounce of that lovely piece to the ones that I already have, for scent quality evaluation, of course! I'm super curious to see what the inside looks like, don't suppose I ever will though. What a great story Guy, thanks for sharing it with us. What's the color and scent like now? From the one picture you posted, it looks sort of darkish with streaks of amber...probably a less mature piece, then.
    Hi
    Well it's got this strong sweet yet musky smell, it's covering up in white and is quite hard though can mark it with a hard finger nail so not fresh definitely got some age. When I tested with a hot needle the aroma was cranked up to 11 strong musky sweet smell and it seems to stay lodged in my nose all day lol.

The very old white powdery types - a delight used as pepper on scrambled eggs or just with a little sugar like a sweetie. Have it with the tea.

Interesting...

Wasn't it one of the King James that had a fave dish with ambergris added?

I know Heston Blumenthal uses a lump of ambergris to enhance a chocolate drink in the opening segment of the Christmas episode of season 1 of his show Hestons Feast. (He DID reference it wrongly as whale vomit in the show, but that has been a common misnomer anyway.) In this same episode, I believe he mentions King Charles II as having loved to consume ambergris.

Ambergris in the UK
    it's coming some time, maybe
    give the wrong time, stop a traffic line
    your future dream is a shopping scheme

Couldn't resist.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Plus

You're right Zatarain,

The Price of selling this Chunk of Ambergris would get my Perfume Business off the dime and give me great bottles labels and packaging... :-)

Mr. Welsh Guy, I once had a roommate who won a lottery spin, and received $20,000 USD. He put only a down payment on a car for himself, and one for a small trailer home for his mother, and gambled away the rest of the more than $13,000 USD, trying to get more money.

Use the money wisely...

To quote the knight in Indian Jones and the Last Crusade, "He chose poorly."

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

If I were you, I would buy an old shrimpin' boat with the money, find a legless first mate,
    and go trawling for ambergris in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

LOL, afraid I don't know any Bubba's .

What ever I get will be spent in a flash, depending upon the amount received it will either be a nice holiday Or go towards one.
    When life tosses you a gift it can either be a life line Or if your already lucky in life It can help gild a Lilly, It will not fester away in a bank who knows what tomorrow brings! I was looking at a trip to Dubai or the Amalfi Coast with the family before the find, so perhaps flight upgrades to Dubai or better rooms in the Monastero Santa Rosa ?