Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Nuit de Longchamp Cologne 14 oz and 5 oz in cut glass bottle decanters

Greetings! Helping my bro-in-law settle his 91 year old aunt's estate. Found two 14 oz and three 5(?) oz unopened bottles of Nuit de Longchamp Eau de Cologne. The cut- or etched-glass decanter bottles are very ornate, and sealed with a gold string wrapped tightly around the stopper and neck of the bottle. I want to help him find a value for these items. How would I go about this task? Are there fragrance appraisers? Thanks for any guidance.

Mike
    IMG_1002.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vintage Nuit de Longchamp Cologne 14 oz and 5 oz in cut glass bottle decanters

Hi & welcome!
    We'll move this to the Perfume bottle section.
    A good way of finding out the 'value' is to check old Ebay 'sold' listings or just do some research online.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Default Re: Vintage Nuit de Longchamp Cologne 14 oz and 5 oz in cut glass bottle decanters

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Hi & welcome!
    We'll move this to the Perfume bottle section.
    A good way of finding out the 'value' is to check old Ebay 'sold' listings or just do some research online.
    Thank you! eBay was the first place I checked, but found nothing similar in either the "Sold" or "Auction" sections. Then tried to research online, but even when I Googled images for "Nuit de Longchamp Cologne" found no bottles that were even similar. Thanks you for your help!
    Mike

Blog Entries

This looks beautiful and unusual. Do you have pictures of the other bottles and pictures of the bottoms? Are there any labels?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    This looks beautiful and unusual. Do you have pictures of the other bottles and pictures of the bottoms? Are there any labels?
    Four of the five bottles have different designs. The two 14 oz decanters are very ornate. The smaller 4 oz bottles have a simple repetitive design; two have flowers and one has fleur de lis. They all have the same label on the bottom, and one has a price tag from Neiman Marcus marked $25.00, with a sale price of $15.00. All five are sealed with gold string. two of the 4 oz and one of the 14 oz have the original boxes. See pics.

Mike

IMG_1037.jpgIMG_1036.jpgIMG_1039.jpg

Blog Entries

They're certainly beautiful. I could hazard a guess but there's no guarantee you'll get top dollar. They are definitely high end. Keep in mind there are listing fees. I see people listing perfumes for thousands. I wonder if they consider the fees when they do that.

Thank you, Kumquat. Do mean listing them on eBay? I have sold plenty of items there, so that is logical for me if my bro-in-law wants me to handle it. Perhaps a starting auction price of $50 for the 4 oz and $100 for the 14 oz, and just see where it goe; or am I being too optimistic? Can you recommend any particular tags on the auction that will attract the right audience? Obviously "Vintage Nuit de Longchamp Cologne 14 oz and 5 oz in cut glass bottle decanters"; but are there any other terms that would attract the right people? Thank you so much for your help!
    Mike

Basenotes Plus

It's a lovely scent

I'd mention Lubin in the title, leave out the 'cologne' and don't list them all at once.

Thanks, Ipp. There is 40 oz of the stuff, yet I can't smell it 'cause the bottles are sealed! I will remember to use Lubin in the title.

Basenotes Plus

Good luck, VeniVediDejaVu - I'm sure that some would buy them for the bottles alone but it would be sensible to point out that you cannot give any indication of the quality of the contents to protect yourself from claims that they're 'off' or similar.
    Listing in Vanity, Perfume, Grooming in Collectables (or whatever it is) is helpful on that score too.

Blog Entries

Good advice, Ipp! The prices seem like a good start. I think they might go to a couple of hundred so it's not unreasonable. Good luck!

Ipp & Kumquat: Well, I put a 14 oz on eBay today. After searching the interwebs I never found anything like th bottles I have, and they didn't generate much interest in this forum, so I am running it for 10 days in order to give plenty of time to find it. I started at $25, but if it is worth anything it will go up, and if it is not then it won't sell anyway! However, it already has 5 watchers in the first few hours, so that is a good sign! Thanks again for your help.

Mike

Basenotes Plus

Good luck, Mike - the watchers may well be doing some research

Blog Entries

I think these are VERY interesting. I'm sure you'll have good luck with them.