Code of Conduct

Default GIT notes question: Where does the sweetness in the heart come from?

GIT has the perfect amount of sweetness, IMO. But, looking at the notes, where does it come from? Up top the lemon verbena I suppose is the source, but upon drydown, what is it? I see that there are violet leaves in the heart, but leaves I don't think are sweet--they give the "aquatic" feel. There is sandalwood and ambergris, but are these the source (in the middle stages, not late, late dry down)? Is there any violet flower in there that could be causing that perfect bit of sweetness?

Though this is GIT related, I started a new thread because it is a specific-type question and not a general inquiry, so I didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle.

Default Re: GIT notes question: Where does the sweetness in the heart come from?

I detect amber and sandalwood (in the base). What they mean by ambergris is anyone's guess, but I don't smell anything animalic there! Amber supplies a little sweetness, though they could add a tiny amount of ethyl maltol (I don't think that is the case with GIT but a perfumer may want to weigh in here).

Default Re: GIT notes question: Where does the sweetness in the heart come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I detect amber and sandalwood (in the base). What they mean by ambergris is anyone's guess, but I don't smell anything animalic there! Amber supplies a little sweetness, though they could add a tiny amount of ethyl maltol (I don't think that is the case with GIT but a perfumer may want to weigh in here).
    According to them, at least in the past, it was real ambergris, you know, sperm whale vomit. I've heard rumors that recently they've stopped using the real stuff, but who knows.

I don't think real ambergris (nor synthetic) would supply noticeable sweetness,at least not without also supplying a clear animalic quality, and I get none of that in GIT. It smells like amber and sandalwood to me, and I've come across this kind of base more than a few times before, but again, it would be interesting to hear the thoughts of a perfumer. Keep in mind that anyone can put the tiniest imaginable amount of anything in a scent and then list it as a "note."

Basenotes Plus

Creed makes their own ambergris. I'm sure that's the culprit. If you've ever put your nose on eight & bob (which has a heavy ambergris base), you'll notice a similar sweetened base
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

Perfumes don't only contain the notes presented so nicely on their websites.

There are hundreds of other chemicals.

Or maybe it's the violet leaf note.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    Creed makes their own ambergris. I'm sure that's the culprit. If you've ever put your nose on eight & bob (which has a heavy ambergris base), you'll notice a similar sweetened base
    First of all, I'd like you to explain and cite evidence for Creed making their own ambergris (do they have a whale farm?). Secondly, I think you can make a better case for ambergris (likely synthetic) in a scent like MI, not GIT. I've smelled that drydown many times, and while it's nicely done, it's sandalwood (not likely the "good stuff," but passable in this context) and amber.

Royal Sugarcane (not listed).

Creed makes their own ambergris.
    Yeah, and they probably chop down their own Mysore sandalwood trees.

I can picture it now. Father and son Creed sticking oars down their pet sperm whales mouth.
    "Come on Solange, cough up the good stuff! We know it's in there..."
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Dihydromyrcenol?

Powerful, thin, sweet, fresh, lavender-like, fruity, metallic, citrusy (linalyl acetate-like), clary sage-like, well recognizable odour.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Isn't GIT meant to have an Iris note in there too, as per MI?
    I wouldn't necessarily call that a particularly sweet note, but I can totally understand how the OP came to this conclusion. The Iris is definitely in the mid...

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    Dihydromyrcenol?
    There's your answer op, unfortunately you won't find it listed in any of the note breakdowns.

I do not detect any sweetness in this one, but if there is, either violets or sandalwood seem to me quite likely among the aforementioned notes.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Yeah, and they probably chop down their own Mysore sandalwood trees.

I can picture it now. Father and son Creed sticking oars down their pet sperm whales mouth.
    "Come on Solange, cough up the good stuff! We know it's in there..."
    It's a synthetic. How else would you MAKE your own?
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

Basenotes Plus

First of all, I'd like you to explain and cite evidence for Creed making their own ambergris (do they have a whale farm?). Secondly, I think you can make a better case for ambergris (likely synthetic) in a scent like MI, not GIT. I've smelled that drydown many times, and while it's nicely done, it's sandalwood (not likely the "good stuff," but passable in this context) and amber.
    About 5-10 years ago they started making their own synthetic musks and ambergris in an attempt at a more eco-friendly product. Says it right in the packaging. If someone were to buy a bottle, all they would need to do is read it. I've been wearing this brand for over 10 years and I have almost everything they put out in that time period. I wouldn't make it up
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

I'd just like to point out that ambergris, synthetic or not, is listed as a note in GIT, so it's pretty clear that it's there.

So violet, iris, or sandalwood are the most likely sources it seems.

I would like some more fragrances with iris or violets if so.
    Last edited by tensor9; 19th June 2014 at 04:29 PM.

I would say the violet note.

I would say either the iris or violet is a possibility.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

"Natural ambergris doesn't smell sweet at all to me; in fact it's salty, almost dry, a little oily. A very different variant on sensual which I personally lean to with a passion. Smell Isabelle Doyen's L'Antimatière by Les Nez to get a feel of what natural ambergris smells like: it's choke-full."

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...ambergris.html

I can't remember how many scents I've sampled that listed "ambergris," and it smelled nothing like how those who have smelled the real thing describe it. Anyone can say their scent has an "ambergris note," which can mean anything. Some seem to have intentionally used this to help sell the scent when it clearly is amber and not ambergris. Clearly, if GIT has any, synthetic or not, it's not a significant element to the composition, IMO. Note that "amber" is another term that can mean several different things. Newbie 101 point: lists of notes only seem to be helpful if you study many scents and begin to make the correlations. A note list for a few scents doesn't necessarily mean anything. Some notes seem to be entirely the product of marketing departments!
    Last edited by Bigsly; 19th June 2014 at 07:52 PM.

Default GIT notes question: Where does the sweetness in the heart come from?

http://www.ambergris.co.nz/identification.htm

http://www.fragrantica.com/notes/Ambergris-524.html

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/20...-whale-podcast

http://www.ambre-gris.com/ambre_gris_us.htm

Just as a few examples. Some ambergris, especially after aging, take on a sweet smell. This is confirmed over and over again from a variety of sources. Ambergris comes in a variety of qualities and can be processed in different ways.

As far as the marketing, I'm sure that happens in some cases, but I have no reason to think that a company known to put real ambergris in their fragrances (whether or not it's "real" in current formulations) would just put it on the list for shits and giggles.

Also, just to be clear, I'm not claiming that ambergris is the source of the sweetness in GIT, only that ambergris by itself can take on a sweet smell.
    Last edited by tensor9; 19th June 2014 at 08:51 PM.

There are artificial replacements for ambergris as well - a notes list will not normally indicate which was used.
    Last edited by lpp; 19th June 2014 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    There are artificial replacements for ambergris as well - a notes list will not normally indicate which was used.
    That's why i correlate to try and determine actual notes, which of course don't mean real notes (as has been said by one perfumer, you can create a chocolate note without any cocoa at all). In this case, there is nothing in GIT that suggests anything different from dozens of scents I've tried that list amber and wood notes. Sure, they could put a tiny drop of real ambergris in a huge vat of GIT, but at some dilution nobody is going to be able to detect it. If anyone wants to believe that GIT is an ambergris-dominant scent, that's fine, but I think you are going to mislead some people by doing so!

That's why i correlate to try and determine actual notes, which of course don't mean real notes (as has been said by one perfumer, you can create a chocolate note without any cocoa at all). In this case, there is nothing in GIT that suggests anything different from dozens of scents I've tried that list amber and wood notes. Sure, they could put a tiny drop of real ambergris in a huge vat of GIT, but at some dilution nobody is going to be able to detect it. If anyone wants to believe that GIT is an ambergris-dominant scent, that's fine, but I think you are going to mislead some people by doing so!
    This point I agree with. Throwing a tad in just to say it's there is indeed misleading.

For those who want to create their own "ambergris fragrance," it is not at all expensive, and so for any company to say one of their scents contain "ambergris," even if it "smells right," keep in mind that this is not special in any way (though it may not be common). For example:

https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com...-grisalva.aspx

Basenotes Plus

Amyris Pour Homme also has that sweet floral accord
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

Amyris Pour Homme also has that sweet floral accord
    I love Amyris....
    Looking for Byredo Pulp -

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    I love Amyris....
    Yea it's a bit underrated, but its great stuff
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme