Code of Conduct

Default Kenneth Cole Mankind

This is a nice one. I've been able to wear it about 4 times now and I'm really beginning to like it. I'd describe it as a summer night or date fragrance. It has a dark pineapple note that's given some sexy depth with tonka bean, cinnamon, and cardamom, anchored by woods (vetiver mostly...though it's more of a generic woodsy base). It's warm and at the same time kind of upbeat--you could wear it in the colder months but it's perfect for this time of year when you want a break from whatever citrus or aquatics you've been wearing.

It goes on a bit generic (you might think, "I've smelled this before") but once it comes together it's really its own fragrance and it has its own charm. There's nothing unpleasant about it, and at worst, it's a serviceable work frag. Is there a 'mall' or 'department store' impression somewhere in Mankind? Absolutely. It doesn't smell like a niche fragrance. It smells like something designed for mass market appeal. So if that bothers you, stay away. But it executes well.

My only complaint about it so far is its longevity. Which seems to fizzle out around the 5 hour mark, sometimes sooner. But I've been pretty light on the trigger, and with a few more sprays or under the shirt, I may be able to give it a boost.

If you're not averse to the idea of a Kenneth Cole fragrance, this is definitely worth looking at, as it seems to have generally flown under the radar since its release.

I have to give Sculpture of Soul credit for putting me on to it. He's got a nice review over at Fragrantica.

My question is, for those of you who have actually worn it, or own it and wear it regularly, what do you think about it? And how has the longevity been for you? What would you rate it out of 5 stars?

I'd probably give it a 3.5/5, maybe a 4 if I could just get the longevity and strength up. A "Mankind Intense" or EDP could be really nice...
    Last edited by Buysblind; 19th June 2014 at 01:28 PM.

Default Re: Kenneth Cole Mankind

I own 3 KC fragrances, and I love them all. I have this one on my "to try" list - just haven't gotten around to trying it yet. This one sounds like a good one Buysblind - thanks for sharing your impressions.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    10. Creed - Royal Oud

It took about four tries for this scent to grow on me. At first I was repulsed by its cheap and thin perfumey-ness. However, I kept going back to Dillard's to spray this on and subsequent wearings really opened up this fragrance for me. The more I used it, the more I noticed the depth and the interplay of notes. This has a real depth to it, and is a very satisfying scent. I don't plan on buying this until it is less than $30 for 100 ml like Reaction. It would make a great addition as I have nothing even remotely like it.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    It took about four tries for this scent to grow on me. At first I was repulsed by its cheap and thin perfumey-ness. However, I kept going back to Dillard's to spray this on and subsequent wearings really opened up this fragrance for me. The more I used it, the more I noticed the depth and the interplay of notes. This has a real depth to it, and is a very satisfying scent. I don't plan on buying this until it is less than $30 for 100 ml like Reaction. It would make a great addition as I have nothing even remotely like it.
    I know what you're saying. It kind of comes off like that at first, but as you experienced, it really begins to open up. It's much more interesting and well put together than it initially seems. And at first it really seems like just another mediocre designer. I'm loving it today and wondering why I didn't the first couple of times I wore it. I also just checked with a female coworker about what she thought and her exact reply was, "It smells delicious." So it has potential as far as how it appeals to others as well. In other words, it's not just me.

Thanks for your input!

I've only tried this once a couple of weeks ago. Upon first sniff, I was underwhelmed. Then the longer I wore it, the more it evolved on my skin. I got mostly pineapple, vetiver, and woods. I do remember thinking upon the first sniff that it reminded me of a potential L'homme flanker, but it very quickly went in a different direction.

It's in the "like" category for me, and I could see myself picking up a bottle later on if I found a good deal. Because I've only tried it once, I can't really say too much, but I felt the longevity was fine and projection was OK as well. Right now, I agree with your rating and say it's a solid 3 or 3.5 stars out of 5 for me.

I really like Kenneth Cole and think his fragrances are very much underrated, given their price points.

BRM, I definitely think the price will come down on it, as it's still pretty new. Another few months and it'll likely be discounted at the usual places.

I actually liked this, almost enough to purchase it. But the sales associate wisely stated that I need to spray it, go do more shopping and make up my mind. I was looking for a good scent to go on my upcoming trip back to Jamaica; thought this was it. It just doesn't last.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    I actually liked this, almost enough to purchase it. But the sales associate wisely stated that I need to spray it, go do more shopping and make up my mind. I was looking for a good scent to go on my upcoming trip back to Jamaica; thought this was it. It just doesn't last.

It's a shame when an otherwise good fragrance is compromised by poor longevity.

I've had my eye on this one for awhile now, but just not much info available on it.(did watch whitespiritbear's review on youtube though) When I did find some opinions on it, many said it was similiar to MB Legend/Fierce....and since I already own Sunrise/Curve and Moves which are all kind of close, I decided to pass. What do you think BB, is it different enough from these frags to warrant a purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    I've had my eye on this one for awhile now, but just not much info available on it.(did watch whitespiritbear's review on youtube though) When I did find some opinions on it, many said it was similiar to MB Legend/Fierce....and since I already own Sunrise/Curve and Moves which are all kind of close, I decided to pass. What do you think BB, is it different enough from these frags to warrant a purchase?
    Yes, to be honest I didn't even think of Fierce or Legend when I tried it. I've never tried Sunrise or Moves so I can't comment there. Just make sure to see how the longevity works for you.

I wonder if Mankind is a hit with wrestling fans?
    Regards,
    Renato

Smelled this today. I think its a very nice fragrance. Very smooth and a good clean smell. I'm surprised the tonka didn't bring this one down into flames for me like most fragrances with tonka. I'd say my Givenchy Gentleman has a little more character, but this one just smells so good that it has me considering it as well. I can't speak of the longevity.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I actually own Mankind. I like this scent a lot. It may be one of my favorite scents ever, but it has a moderate longevity and a weak projection. I plan on trading my half-empty bottle to a buddy for a full bottle of something lol.
    Last edited by rolltide2588; 26th June 2014 at 03:21 AM.

Bummer. Guess I'll just scratch that idea lol
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I sniffed this this afternoon. I thought I smelled some leather in there?
    I was pleasantly surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Bummer. Guess I'll just scratch that idea lol
    Keep in mind, I have a heavier finger than most connoisseurs. The longevity in the summer for me is about 5-7 hours but it hovers close to the skin. I mean it doesn't really go away, but it just doesn't project like I would prefer.

I've had a chance to sample this the past week and Buysblind has been pretty spot on with his review. I will say that if there was a fragrance that people could throw the 'generic' label on it would be justified with Mankind. But, that's not to say it's a bad fragrance, because it's definitely not. This stuff smells good! But when you first spray it on it you might feel like you've smelled something similar, and this one might turn some people off because of that. I get a bit of the freshness of YSL L'Homme (not as spicy, though) Versace Pour Homme, and Fierce (I've never owned this one but have sampled it at the mall). I must not be able to detect pineapple, because I don't get it in Aventus and don't really get it in this either. I get mostly the woods, musk and tonka. It's a bit on the sweet side but very fresh, for sure.

For me, I don't really have issues with longevity. I get about 5-6 hours with 3-4 sprays, which I find to be pretty typical of most designer fragrances these days. Kenneth Cole puts out some pretty good fragrances IMO. Kenneth Cole Black and Reaction are both fragrances that I've gone through two bottles of which is rare these days. RSVP is a bit sweet for me but still a good fragrance and like all Kenneth Cole's I've worn it gets a lot of compliments.

I would give this one 3.75 out of 5. I would give it a 4 if it were a bit more original, but it's very well blended. I haven't worn it in social situations yet, but I have no doubt it will be a crowd pleaser. I think this one could be worn anytime of year and pretty much any occasion. Kenneth Cole Black is my favorite fragrance from the house but I'll say this is the best fragrance they've put out.

Mankind is a quintessence of the modern masculine fruity genre. In fact, that's a mix of three popular fragrances. It contains 50% of bubble-gumy gingery base of YSL L'Homme (the evident resemblance), 25% of green pineapples of Mont Blanc Legend and 25% of tangerins of John Varvatos Artisan. The result is not bad, though I complain about the low sillage (the longevity is average).
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

I had the chance to try this not too long ago. Unfortunately not to my liking.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I had a SA at Dillards make me a sample, and I was able to wear it several days for nearly a week. I liked it initially, and it actually grew on me more and more, the more that I wore it. It's very nice, pleasant, and well blended. A little bit sweet, but not untolerable. It's actually quite enjoyable. My problem was the same that others have mentioned - the longevity. It wasn't horrible, just not good. I would say slightly below average. But that wouldn't deter me from owning a bottle....but as others have also mentioned, it's one I'd prefer to buy from an online discounter down the road at a reduced price.

I got this one quickly after it was released and I was quite impressed. As others have said, it is very well blended, seems to have more complexity than many other designer frags, and smells fantastic. I honestly don't know why there has been virtually no talk about it at all.

I have always thought that KC frags were decent especially Black. I smelled Mankind recently and while it smelled good, it didn't do much for me. I will have to revisit it again.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    I got this one quickly after it was released and I was quite impressed. As others have said, it is very well blended, seems to have more complexity than many other designer frags, and smells fantastic. I honestly don't know why there has been virtually no talk about it at all.
    I'm pretty happy to have scored a 100 ml tester (BNIB, no cap) from ebay for $30. This one has definitely gone way under the radar and that's okay. I imagine it will be at the usual discounters relatively soon and more people will end up purchasing it at that point. I've been wearing it a lot, though, because I really don't have anything else like it in my collection. Although I do think it's really versatile, I think it really shines in the evenings. The longevity isn't really an issue for me and I find this one projects quite well for the first couple of hours.