Code of Conduct

Default Niche House Sampling Suggestions

I have collected and sampled a great deal of designer fragrances and would like to branch out to the niche houses. Any suggestions on some houses that I should put on my todo list and where to purchase samples at the best price. I am new to the hobby, so I am not wedded to any particular scent. Looking to experience a wide range of samples at the best value. I to tend to like frags with longevity and projection rather than subtle closer to the skin fragrances.

Thanks

Default Re: Niche House Sampling Suggestions

Someof the best "niche" houses IMO:

Creed
    Bond No. 9
    Heeley
    Clive Christian
    Parfums de Marly
    Mancera
    Montale
    The Different Company

If you are looking for samples, I would try Luckyscent, The Perfumed Court, Surrender To Chance, and First in Fragrance.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Hmmm well, House of Matriarch has a huge variety of samples. I'd suggest giving Blackbird, Alpha, Bohemian Black and Devotion are all great scents to try. Their 3.3ml samples allow the user quite a few wearings before deciding or not to purchase a full bottle.

Also, if you'd like a variety of niche samples from multiple houses, not many places better than LuckyScent -- Surrender to Chance has samples of literally everything and anything you can find it would seem from multiple houses both niche and designer. Hope this helps.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

So many things to sample from...

Lutens is probably the most famous niche brand, so something from there (eg Ambre Sultan, Chergui, etc etc)
    I have a soft spot for Etat libre d'orange, which does quirky but solid scents. Eg Rien, Je suis un homme etc

cacio

Eutopie
    Lostmarc'h
    Les Liquides Imaginaires
    Chabaud
    David Jourquin
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

A few more niche houses worth sampling in my opinion include:

Knize
    ADP
    Hugh Parsons
    Rance
    Etro

I would check out Mancera. They have some good ones. Of course, Creed is one to check out.

I would check out what you can in local stores that carry niche if not order any of the suggested house above this post.
    Read reviews and what looks interesting and fire in a sample order. Have fun and enjoy
    My current obsessions for now
    Oud Wood , Noir de Noir , DHI , Mugler Cologne , Bond No.9 Bleeker St. ,
    Ramone Monegal Agar Musk & Umbra , Chanel Coromondel ,

I feel like Mancera Kumkat Wood is the perfect designer to niche segway, great scent, highly likeable and top notch ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I would check out Mancera. They have some good ones. Of course, Creed is one to check out.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

I would say Montale/Mancera, Slumberhouse, Amouage, and Nasomatto would be interesting selections and styles that all have projection and longevity.

Frederic Malle, MDCI.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Someof the best "niche" houses IMO:

Creed
    Bond No. 9
    Heeley
    Clive Christian
    Parfums de Marly
    Mancera
    Montale
    The Different Company

If you are looking for samples, I would try Luckyscent, The Perfumed Court, Surrender To Chance, and First in Fragrance.
    Excellent advice! Creed is often a "gateway" niche house, and the others on this list have some great fragrances. I'd also recommend the Frederic Malle line (imagine giving the greatest perfumers free range to create masterpieces) and Serge Lutens (huge selection, amazing quality, and reasonable prices for a niche house) and checking out The Decant Shop as a place to get samples/decants. They have very reasonable prices, fast shipping, and great customer service.

Please consider:

Annick Goutal
    Diptyque
    Frapin
    Lubin

You've gotten a lot of great suggestions.

Happy sniffing.
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

Basenotes Member

Histoires des parfums
    Amouage

Creed - Silver Mountain Water, Himalaya, Virgin Island Water, Millesime Imperial, I can go on and on.
    Frederic Malle - Bigarade Concentree, Geranium Pour Monsieur, Vetiver Extraordinaire, and many more.
    Tom Ford Private Blend - Tobacco Vanille, Oud Wood, Amber Absolute, Italian Cypress, Tuscan Leather, Tobacco Oud, etc.. I know many don't classify them as "niche", but I do considering the quality and price.
    Amouage - Jubilation XXV, Epic Man, Memoir Man, Lyric Man, Beloved Man.

Welcome to basenotes!

These are the first seven samples I ordered, ever. They began my niche journey two years ago:

L'Artisan - Timbuktu
    L'Artisan - Dzongkha
    Frederic Malle - Carnal Flower
    Serge Lutens - Arabie
    Serge Lutens - Chergui
    Comme des Garcons - 2 Man / Wonderwood
    Santa Maria Novella - Melograno

I ordered them off Aedes. These days I would use the other decant and sample websites mentioned above. SMN Melograno was the only dud in the above list. So I'd recommend a good mix of (the list below leans towards woody/incense/herbals with a few florals):

Serge Lutens - Chergui/Arabie - call them up at their headquarters, tell em your interested, have them mail a packet of wax samples
    L'Artisan - TImbuktu/Dzongkha/Bois Farine - use a sample website
    Frederic Malle - Carnal Flower/Geranium pour Monsieur/Noir Epices - By phone from NYC for $20 for 3x2ml samples or use sample website
    Different Company - Sel de Vetiver/Bois d'Iris/Oud for Love - sample website
    Comme des Garcons - 2/2Man/Wonderwood - sample website
    Diptyque - Oyedo/L'Ombre dans L'Eau/L'Eau - sample website

Whatever you choose, I'd strongly recommend sampling one or two top sellers from a number of established niche houses (L'Artisan, Serge, Diptyque, Malle) rather than getting all/most of one house at a time. Go for breadth at first, in-depth explorations can wait. Have fun!

Maybe the best way to start is to look into some of the excellent exclusive lines in some of the large established houses (especially Dior's Collection Privée, Chanel's Les Exclusifs, Hermès' Hermèssence or some of Guerlain's exclusive lines, like Les Parisiens or L'Art et la Matière).

I agree with many of the suggestions above - especially Serge Lutens, Frédéric Malle and Comme des Garçons. I would probably add Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, Parfum d'Empire, Caron, and Le Labo to that list.
    Last edited by Dane77; 20th June 2014 at 10:05 AM.

Imaginary Authors has a collection of 8 samples for $35 on their website. I haven't tried them, but I'm probably going to pull the trigger on that soon. I've read that they're really unique, so that's a reason to check them out. Also, it's really neat to see so much effort put in the presentation.

Le Labo - modernism at it's peak
    Annick Goutal (Victorian era motif)
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Pioneer of modern niche perfumery

for swap/sale:

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

+1 on Histoires des Parfums, L'Artisan Parfumeurs, Dyptique, Amouage & Serge Lutens

Also consider:-

Abdessalaam Attar
    Sonoma Scent Studio
    Parfum d'Empire
    Parfums di Nicolai
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 20th June 2014 at 02:57 PM.

Another one for Serge Lutens: affordable and something totally different then designer fragrances.

Awesome! I am noting a bunch of these and will be ordering several sample packs.

I enjoy the house of Mancera and Nobile 1942.

Maria Candida Gentile
    Hilde Soliani
    Laura Tonatto
    Tiziana Terenzi
    Jul et Mad

Amouage
    Tauer Perfumes
    Heeley
    Histoires de Parfums
    Frederic Malle
    Serge Lutens

Creed and Tom Ford Private Blend are more widely offered and have quite a few scents to explore so you might want to start there.

In addition to the above mentioned sample sources www.minnewyork.com and www.parfumsraffy.com have sample services. Specifically if you are interested in Amouage then use Parfums Raffy as they will send official 2.5ml samples.

Enjoy!