Code of Conduct

Default Clarification on EU regs

I've got hold of a couple of oils I'm unsure whether I can use under EU regulations - birch tar and chili seed oil from mysticmoments.co.uk, to be accurate. The supplier's based in the UK, but I don't think I can take it as read that it's okay to use them because of that. I know they're okay for my personal use, but if I want to share the things I make I need to know the specifics. Googling around isn't very helpful.

Default Re: Clarification on EU regs

Chilli Seed Oil! On skin!!!! I wouldn't. You do not mention where you bought these oils, nor what you want to do with them. Any reputable supplier will provide an MSDS which should give you all the information you need.

There are no EU regulations regarding the use of Birch tar oil in fragrances or other cosmetics but the IFRA does specify that only the rectified form should be used. There are no EU regulations or IFRA standards with regards to the use of Chilli essential oil. However, I would recommend that you dilute a drop in say, twenty drops of vegetable oil and then test a little on your tongue. If it burns, then the level of capsaicin is likely to be relatively high and it should only be used cautiously in cosmetics. The proteins in yogurt or milk will help to relieve any burning on your tongue.
    Last edited by Pears; 21st June 2014 at 02:13 PM.

I did mention where I bought them, it was from mysticmoments.co.uk.

Basenotes Plus

Maybe ask for an MSDS as David suggests.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Quote Originally Posted by Chrestomanthic View Post
    I did mention where I bought them, it was from mysticmoments.co.uk.
    But you still haven't mentioned what you want to do with them. Have you ever had some Chilli Pepper juice go in your eye, or did you ever go to the loo with Pepper juice on your hands? You should try it some time.