Code of Conduct

Question Been searching now for 6 years and still haven't found it

That's right.... I still can't find the fragrance that I smelled on my boss 6 years ago that filled the entire room and smelled so elegant and classy. I have smelled it passing by many men in the past few years, maybe four times so I know it's popular, but just can't figure out what the heck it is?!! I smelled this on one of the Partners of my company yesterday, but didn't want to ask him because I wasn't 100% sure if it was him or the Law firm that cam to visit. Bummer

Anyhow let me describe the scent and perhaps someone knowledgeable can figure it out. The first time I smelled it was around 2009 so it's at least been around that long but could be much older for all I know. OK it is a deep musky leathery balmy smell. Nothing else smells like it. Sort of smells in between The One by D&G and Polo Black. It's just super masculine, super deep, wet musky, but not bright musky, more dark wood musky and balmy perhaps. It's elegant and I've smelled it more in business settings on men. If I was to go to Sephora and look up all their top sellers (almost all I've smelled) I can almost guarantee it is not one of them.

So here were some of my guesses of what it could be but I need others help.

Salvatore Ferragamo pour homme?
    Midnight in Paris? (although reviews say this can be feminine and the scent I smelled is in no way feminine)
    Costume Nationale? (once again I don't know if this is sweet, the one I smelled is a tad sweet but more just masculine musk/leather/balmy)

Now I could be wrong with the leather maybe its a differnt note. Perhaps It's not even musk, because it's not like a bright musk like drakkar Noir.

I'm really hoping someone can help me. This shouldn't be so hard to discover. Mercy

Thanks all

Joe

Default Re: Been searching now for 6 years and still haven't found it

The most common leather around is Aramis, which is not sold at Sephora, but it should be at Macy's and many other dept stores. It's a butch, musky leather, very confident.

cacio

Aramis is sold at the Sophoras in the Penny's Store where I live and I like it

Basenotes Junkie

OP I don't think any of the 3 scents you mentioned match your description of you target scent, so I'm going to say it's something else.

Aramis is a good guess. I'd add Tuscan Leather, Knize Ten and Bel Ami to your list of candidates.

Basenotes Junkie

Also, just a shot, but have you sniffed Fahrenheit for comparison?

Doesn't exactly fit your description of it, but I hear descriptions I don't agree with even remotely all the time...

Terre d'Hermes?

It's VERY popular. Especially around 2009ish. It's also pretty strong and has a musk to it.

Just a shot in the dark. You should really just ask someone, worst that can happen is they'll tell you to buzz off.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Doesn't exactly fit your description of it, but I hear descriptions I don't agree with even remotely all the time...

Terre d'Hermes?

It's VERY popular. Especially around 2009ish. It's also pretty strong and has a musk to it.

Just a shot in the dark. You should really just ask someone, worst that can happen is they'll tell you to buzz off.
    yeah it's not terre de hermes because I have that....it's also not Aramis because my dad had that. Maybe I'm getting the musk part wrong, I just need to figure out why this fragrance is so alluring and deep mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    Also, just a shot, but have you sniffed Fahrenheit for comparison?
    fahrenheit is a great fragrance, but no, this is far brighter than what i am refering to. My scent is darker, milkier,

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    You should really just ask someone, worst that can happen is they'll tell you to buzz off.
    exactly this... you've had multiple opportunities to solve this mystery - next time, just ask!

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    exactly this... you've had multiple opportunities to solve this mystery - next time, just ask!
    true, I definitely will if I ever smell it on someone again...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJoe81 View Post
    true, I definitely will if I ever smell it on someone again...
    any chance you still have a way to contact your old boss to ask him? maybe via-email?

Yes just ask. Was a Royal Oud out in 2009? Antaeus?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Try Histoires de Parfum 1740 Marquis de Sade and Chancel Antaeus.

Ya, I can ask him, just awkward........ I'm thinking it could be Santos de Cartier that's another one it could be I'll have to go sniff testing sometime again.

Ya, I can ask him, just awkward........
    You'll find the right time and place to do it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I would take 6 seconds to ask the name of the perfume. Wait 6 years is a torture! LOL .
    One Million
    Dior Homme/ Dior Homme Intense
    A*Men Pure Malt
    Last edited by voidvader; 21st June 2014 at 04:18 AM.

It can't be Aramis; Sir Hednic went back in time and destroyed the recipe and gave the creator amnesia with his ray gun that he subsequently had to retrieve from the future lol. A hassle? Very worth the endeavor to Hednic lol just kidding.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Chanel Antaeus.

Could be also one of the following: vintage Trussardi Uomo, Van&Cleef Arpels PH, Aramis Tuscany, Opium PH EDP, Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur. All of these, though entirely different among each other, have at least one common feature: rich, dark, but also unexpectedly smooth, well-structured and luxurious leather notes, with equally spectacular variations on the leathery main theme.

first time I smelled it was around 2009 so it's at least been around that long but could be much older for all I know.
    OK it is a deep musky leathery balmy smell.
    Nothing else smells like it.
    Sort of smells in between The One by D&G and Polo Black.
    It's just super masculine, super deep, wet musky, but not bright musky, more dark wood musky and balmy perhaps.
    It's elegant and I've smelled it more in business settings on men.
    If I was to go to Sephora and look up all their top sellers (almost all I've smelled) I can almost guarantee it is not one of them.

So here were some of my guesses of what it could be but I need others help.

Salvatore Ferragamo pour homme?
    Midnight in Paris? (although reviews say this can be feminine and the scent I smelled is in no way feminine)
    Costume Nationale? (once again I don't know if this is sweet, the one I smelled is a tad sweet but more just masculine musk/leather/balmy)

Now I could be wrong with the leather maybe its a differnt note.
    Perhaps It's not even musk, because it's not like a bright musk like drakkar Noir.
    I'm really hoping someone can help me.
    This shouldn't be so hard to discover.
    should not be so hard to discover !!
    Its like trying to identify the father of a baby by the shape of his teeny weeny foot !!

Good luck trying to find it JoeJoe81 .
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 21st June 2014 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    any chance you still have a way to contact your old boss to ask him? maybe via-email?
    Yes, it might actually be easier to find your former boss and ask him. Does he have a Facebook account maybe? Or LinkedIn?
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 21st June 2014 at 02:57 PM.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Some Amouage perhaps? Sounds a bit like Memoir Man but it was lauched 2010.
    Or, like already been suggested, Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme or Chanel Antaeus.
    Last edited by df91; 21st June 2014 at 03:11 PM.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

If the OP smelled it on several other men in the intervening years, I'd be quite surprised if it were one of the more obscure (niche, older) fragrances being suggested. Relative accessibility may help us narrow it down more. My first thoughts were Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood (the Tom Ford private line is pretty widely available), or Tom Ford Extreme.

Ya, I can ask him, just awkward........ I'm thinking it could be Santos de Cartier that's another one it could be I'll have to go sniff testing sometime again.
    Why awkward as this would be a compliment to his taste in a fragrance , with all respect I say this ...get over yourself and ask/email as a confident man will do so plus remember that you wouldn't be in this predicament if you had the nerves and confidence to SIMPLY ask he is a boss in his position but a man just like you the breaths the same air and bleeds red not gold ....peace
    Last edited by magnus611; 21st June 2014 at 04:04 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

As others have mentioned, just ask.

Grey Vetiver, Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, Antaeus?

Honestly it kind of sounds like it may be Diesel Only the Brave, the only thing is that this came out in 2009, so it would be only 5 years old and not 6. Don't write it off though just because of the tacky bottle and brand.. I sort of passed this one by and overlooked it, it's actually a pretty popular fragrance, I have 2 friends who wear it, and when they are around it sort of matches the description you posted in your OP. Then I also think of Armani Code when you say a cross between The One, and Polo Black.

Whatever it may be it's likely something designer, and something you can buy at Sephora or Macy's.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

It could be anything, but my guesses would be either VC & A Tsar or Givenchy Gentleman. Egoiste might also be a candidate.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Why awkward as this would be a compliment to his taste in a fragrance , with all respect I say this ...get over yourself and ask/email as a confident man will do so plus remember that you wouldn't be in this predicament if you had the nerves and confidence to SIMPLY ask he is a boss in his position but a man just like you the breaths the same air and bleeds red not gold ....peace
    This...

Armani Code

Based on your description, it sort of sounds like Narciso Rodriguez For Him but at this point, who knows?

If it's popular I would eliminate niche from the list. The distribution of niche is so small relative to designers. If you've encountered it several times, I'll bet anything it's a designer fragrance. I thought perhaps Bel Ami, but that doesn't contain musk. Aramis original has loads of leather and musk, but also patchouli. Could it be Fahrenheit, which has healthy doses of leather and musk, as well as being quite popular? But then, Fahrenheit was never known as elegant. A rabble-rouser, if anything. Anyway... would be interesting to know what this mystery fragrance turns out to be.
    Last edited by cytherian; 22nd June 2014 at 02:26 AM.

Sounds like it could be anything. Best bet is to ask. Otherwise sample Gucci Envy.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

I second the Narciso Rodriguez for Him. Otherwise could also be Rose 31 by Le Labo.

On the other end of the spectrum, there's Terre d'Hermes, which I don't find musky, but it does smell like woody skin and I smell it pretty often on business men. It fills the whole room, and just smells like MAN. In a similar vein, there's Poivre Samarcande, also by Hermes, but it's not as popular as Terre d'Hermes.

Best of luck finding it - if you do, make sure to report back.

Oh and it could also be Rive Gauche by Yves Saint-Laurent... but I could spend all day naming stuff. I think the ones I named above are my best guesses.

Thinking outta the box here, what about Kenneth Cole black? It's not leathery as much as woody, but it has the musk and is masculine.

Random thoughts:

M7
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Tuscan Leather
    Dirty English
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

It sounds like Bel ami to me.

Santos Cartier, Azzaro for men, Dior Homme, Halston Z-14, Paul Sebastian and Burberry London are several that come to mind. But if you ever do find out what the scent is, post the name of whoever guessed right.

Brian S.

Sartorial by Penhaligans? But that came out in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    OP I don't think any of the 3 scents you mentioned match your description of you target scent, so I'm going to say it's something else.

Aramis is a good guess. I'd add Tuscan Leather, Knize Ten and Bel Ami to your list of candidates.
    +1 Bel Ami

Bvlgari Black

Nicole Miller for Men, Burberry London, Penhaligon's Opus 1870

Could be anything really. I'd ask rather than let another year slip by.

When you say wet musky, it makes me think of Narscisco Rodriguez for Him, which is musky but has the wet concrete smell to it.

I couldn't help but notice your avatar JoeJoe, perhaps you "just want something you can never have."

Double Post
    Last edited by EarNoseThroat; 16th July 2014 at 01:18 AM.

This is True !
    Quote Originally Posted by du57in View Post
    I couldn't help but notice your avatar JoeJoe, perhaps you "just want something you can never have."