Code of Conduct

Default Are We Spraying Enough???

I used to be a 4 shot kinda of guy. Like most here, I have had longevity, projection, and sillage issues with the vast majority of todays fragrances. Back in the Big 80s and Big 90s it was never an issue. With reformulations and an emphasis on subtlety by the manufacturers, do we need to address our shot count?

Last nite I broke out a sample of La Nuit (a great scent, but a poor performer for me) for the girl that I have been seeing. I went Wyatt Earp on the trigger and altered my targets a little. 2 to the wrist, 2 to the inner elbow, 2 to the carotid artery (instead of the sides of neck), and 2 kill shots to the clavicle and the back of the neck right on my clothes (never been done before).

I could feel the stuff flying off me for hours. A solid 4 hours of arm length projection, and another 4-6 hours of solid 1-3 feet projection. I was kinda of worried that I over did it and I would be Cologne Guy. Anyway, instead of looking for great "performers", do we simply need to up the shot count on great scents?

Discuss...
    Last edited by lpp; 23rd June 2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Unsuitable content.

Default Re: Are We Spraying Enough???

I know I am...

I think it all depends on the actual fragrance.

It depends on both the juice and the sprayer it comes out of, IMO.

Yes, on the actual fragrance and the place/occasion. As well on skin type, a very dry skin usually "eats" the fragrance.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

There are so many different variables that can affect this type of thing. Firstly, the person: I had la nuit briefly (before I decided that it was just too cloying and obnoxious for me.) I had great performance for a few hours. I did about 4 sprays.

But on you, performance is obviously better with more. So by all means go for it. If you're offending, you'll find out sooner or later lol

I am actually trying to reduce my usage - Striving for subtle class, rather than "cologne guy"
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    +1.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

I go by the wake of dead bodies I leave behind. If less than 3 then I increase my sprays.
    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/13449822&t=totry&s=n

With a certain olfactory fatigue lately sensed increasingly often, my nose seems to (indirectly) tell me to spray more...

I spray my whole body down when using most modern fragrances especially the creeds and chanels. Alot of people will make fun of me saying your that cologne guy but the truth is with these weak projecting and short lived colognes of today, that's what I have to do in order for them to be even worth wearing. And I am never that cologne guy, I am that guy who smells nice. If I put a couple of spritzes on the wrist and one on the neck, I'd be that guy that smells like nothing. Why waste the money to smell like nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    +1.
    Yes agreed +2 but will also agree with original post as well to a degree.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

So far have been content with three solid sprays with anything I have applied to my skin.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

On me that would be Mr. A cologne guy but perhaps not for you?? I live in a world of 1-3 sprays.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    LOL

Was that taxi driver Chinese?

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    LOL

Was that taxi driver Chinese?
    ROFL! Ah, I miss him and his stories. Hope he returns soon with some new ones.
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    100% right on. I usually use 3 sprays of most scents and I'm good...and then throughout the day/evening will add a few more sprays when needed. For me this seems to be the preferred method instead of gassing everyone around me for the 1st few hours with 6 sprays Although I will say I quickly found out that my usual 3 sprays from a Chanel and Creed bottle, is honestly too much....those atomizers REALLY put out a ton.

I do 6-8 most of the time... Compliments happen to me weekly... The sprayer and the juice do matter of course... I've said all along that many don't spray enough!!!

If someone walks by me and the fragrance cloud is so strong that I want to slit my wrists and pray for death, it's a sign that they've used too much.

In the case of a cloud of Le Male or A*Men, I'm sure death would overtake me long before I could get the knife to my arteries.

I did 6 of Jo Malone Amber and Lavender from a sample today. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I am actually trying to reduce my usage - Striving for subtle class, rather than "cologne guy"
    Well said. I couldn't agree more.

I go for subtle. Usually one or two shots, and I'll max out at three.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Usually go between 1-3 sprays. Some scents may get 4. All applied to the chest, under clothing. If I can't smell something a little later in the day the longevity issue is usually solved by applying less (i.e. it's fatigue issue rather than a longevity or projection issue).

What can I say? I prefer to be understated and actually feel embarrassed if lots of people notice my scent.
    Just say no to oniomania.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaverX View Post
    I spray my whole body down when using most modern fragrances especially the creeds and chanels. Alot of people will make fun of me saying your that cologne guy but the truth is with these weak projecting and short lived colognes of today, that's what I have to do in order for them to be even worth wearing. And I am never that cologne guy, I am that guy who smells nice. If I put a couple of spritzes on the wrist and one on the neck, I'd be that guy that smells like nothing. Why waste the money to smell like nothing?
    Agreed
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Around 10 sprays of Penhaligons Elixir yesterday. I'm tempted to increase that number next time, but I've run out of places to spray!
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 23rd June 2014 at 10:03 AM.

I'm constantly baffled by the seeming need to have an 'ideal' number of sprays by so many people and how aggressively I have seen some defend this maxim.

How can you possibly apply a '3 spray rule' (or 2 or 4 or whatever) to so many different styles of fragrance with vastly different concentrations?

If you take some time to get to know the relative performance / strength of something then surely it's not too much of a leap to be able to adjust how much you use for the weather or circumstances you might find yourself in?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

I don't care if work sent me home early, I got kicked off the bus, and my wife is sleeping on the couch- wearing as much cologne as I want is MY RIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I'm constantly baffled by the seeming need to have an 'ideal' number of sprays by so many people and how aggressively I have seen some defend this maxim.

How can you possibly apply a '3 spray rule' (or 2 or 4 or whatever) to so many different styles of fragrance with vastly different concentrations?

If you take some time to get to know the relative performance / strength of something then surely it's not too much of a leap to be able to adjust how much you use for the weather or circumstances you might find yourself in?
    No kidding. You'd think it was rocket science. Fragrance is about art and flow. Mechanics have nothing to do with it. If a guy can't figure out how to apply it then he probably shouldn't wear it at all. Hell, I've been wearing fragrance since I was fifteen and I never felt the need to ask someone how to apply it. Just put it on, baby. You'll probably figure it out. Or you might not. You might be one these guys stuck on "bloodless sports fragrances, gonna meet a generic girl and have generic offspring. Gonna wear that stuff that has nothing to do with any other pleasure other than merging with the crowd".

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    ..... Just put it on, baby. ....
    Yessir!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    ...If a guy can't figure out how to apply it then he probably shouldn't wear it at all....
    Wise words indeed!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Adama View Post
    I don't care if work sent me home early, I got kicked off the bus, and my wife is sleeping on the couch- wearing as much cologne as I want is MY RIGHT.
    Ok.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

I think it will always depend on the fragrance which is why I start with a small spray test to learn the strength then give it a full wearing after. Interlude man gets half spray almost down at the belt line and still is a monster, while Millisime Imperial can be 4 to 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many unknown factors to consider, e.g. is uber milf a smoker, how does her sense of smell rate on a scale from 1-10, what was the room temperature (if indoors), etc. I'm not even going to go there and state that not all milfs like the same amount of shots.

I'm just surprised that no one was bothered by him referring to his date as a milf.
    I'm not prude, but this a public forum.

for swap/sale:

Agree - the post is breaking rules so we'll clean it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I'm just surprised that no one was bothered by him referring to his date as a milf.
    I'm not prude, but this a public forum.
    Maybe a little prude...

Telling on the guy for using a dirty word in the male fragrance forum?

You say not prude...

Okay.

Reporting , not telling on. Men don't tell on.
    Not prude at all. Pretty vulgar in fact but there's a time, venue & crowd for it.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Maybe a little prude...

Telling on the guy for using a dirty word in the male fragrance forum?

You say not prude...

Okay.

We rely on members to report rule-breaking posts as we don't see all of them.
    If it didn't break any rules it would have been left as it was.

Actually, my "date" refers to herself (and many of her girlfriends) using the m- word. Because in addition to being great looking, fun to be with, and one heck of a golfer, she actually is an adult who has a sense of humor about those types of things. But, I will be PC and sensitive to whoever is offended and I promise to refrain from using that term again. Does sarcasm break any rules?

Occasionally, but we like to keep these threads readable by all of our members, including all of the girls...

I've been on so many forums throughout the years. it always baffles me as to why the wet shaving and fragrance forums are so sensitive. It's almost impossible to have "guy talk" around here as everyone is trying so hard to be "gentlemen"... Come on guys let's cut loose from being profesional gentlemen for a second. Most of us have to do that at work all day....

Well, provided the rules are not broken ....

All posts here are public.

Reporting , not telling on. Men don't tell on.
    Not prude at all. Pretty vulgar in fact but there's a time, venue & crowd for it.
    It's always pretty immature and vulgar, I don't think there is a time and place where it isn't, that is why my post mocked it a little.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I believe so. I like to mark my territory.

Absolutely - concentrations are all different, sprayers are all different. Vive la difference!

I could feel the stuff flying off me for hours. A solid 4 hours of arm length projection, and another 4-6 hours of solid 1-3 feet projection. I was kinda of worried that I over did it and I would be Cologne Guy. Anyway, instead of looking for great "performers", do we simply need to up the shot count on great scents?
    Hmmm, I have a feeling there's 0% chance we're underspraying Sometimes it's interesting to find "cologne" threads on non-perfume-based forums, it's puts some perspective into enthusiast vs non-enthusiast perceptions of "too much". 8 sprays of La Nuit, yowza!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Occasionally, but we like to keep these threads readable by all of our members, including all of the girls...
    Okay, I have to admit that, if I were female, I'd be far less offended at a funny word like m*** that's been pretty much accepted as almost satirical, and far more by the widespread casual reference to women as "girls" Funny thing, what people key in on!

If I were male I don't honestly know what would offend me, but it's not a question of what offends me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    It's always pretty immature and vulgar, I don't think there is a time and place where it isn't, that is why my post mocked it a little.
    Oh, I was referring to myself as vulgar - but when the time, venue & crowd allow for it.
    Just like a bunch of us guys browse the ladies' forum, a bunch ladies browse this forum as well.

But back to the topic hand, I love a vibrant projection & spray accordingly.

Today i only sprayed 4 sprays - it was Maai & that amount was enough.

But I share the OP's sentiment, I do think our American basenoters are under spraying.

for swap/sale:

But I share the OP's sentiment, I do think our American basenoters are under spraying.
    I am new to the hobby so I set a 6 spray benchmark to fairly and consistently evaluate the frags that I am sampling. Same number of sprays, same locations, same conditions. What I found was I got poor projection and longevity out of most frags and started crossing them off my shopping list. What I learned from this forum is that I need to find a scent I like, live with it for a while, and then figure how many sprays works best for that one frag. It may be different for different frags, but I have to find that balance for each one. Believe me, I was nervous about 8 sprays with La Nuit and did NOT want to turn into Cologne Guy that nite. But, it worked! I just have to accept that reformulations are here to stay and you have to up the spray count to get that ideal longevity and projection out of some great scents. Sometimes it will be 3-4 (Amen) and sometimes it maybe 8 (La Nuit). Thanks Guys!!!
    Last edited by SmellyFinger; 24th June 2014 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyFinger View Post
    I am new to the hobby so I set a 6 spray benchmark to fairly and consistently evaluate the frags that I am sampling. Same number of sprays, same locations, same conditions. What I found was I got poor projection and longevity out of most frags and started crossing them off my shopping list. What I learned from this forum is that I need to find a scent I like, live with it for a while, and then figure how many sprays works best for that one frag. It may be different for different frags, but I have to find that balance for each one. Believe me, I was nervous about 8 sprays with La Nuit and did NOT want to turn into Cologne Guy that nite. But, it worked! I just have to accept that reformulations are here to stay and you have to up the spray count to get that ideal longevity and projection out of some great scents. Sometimes it will be 3-4 (Amen) and sometimes it maybe 8 (La Nuit). Thanks Guys!!!
    Setting a six spray benchmark for all of your fragrances seems counterproductive to me. You need to remember that the amount of juice per spray varies widely from house to house. In my experience, for example, a Varvatos sprayer puts out about 1/3 the juice of a Dior sprayer, which in turn is about half of the output you'd get from a Creed sprayer.

Try 6 sprays of Montale's Aoud Musk or Nasomatto's Black Afgano and see how that works out.

6 spritzes is a good balance.
    Half of the perfumes on the market will be ok with 6, with some you find that will need a few more, like maybe 9.

You'll less than often find that 6 is overwhelming.
    It'll usually be with parfum extrait (perfume extract concentration). Such as M PureDistance or Maai or Lyric Woman.

Like you said, it's about finding the equilibrium.

for swap/sale:

Oh, I was referring to myself as vulgar - but when the time, venue & crowd allow for it.
    Just like a bunch of us guys browse the ladies' forum, a bunch ladies browse this forum as well.

By and large, I agree with your assessment of our under spraying. But when I smell some dude that put on too much Joop or Polo...well, that's no good.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    By and large, I agree with your assessment of our under spraying. But when I smell some dude that put on too much Joop or Polo...well, that's no good.
    It's because of people who are really, like really really, overspraying that most of the BN's underspray.