Code of Conduct

Default Male Domination of Basenotes

Why is this do you think? I'm sure the male portion of the fragrance sales market is still considerably smaller than the females, so ipso facto you'd think a fragrance forum would be dominated by women.

But most threads and reviews are started and written by men. It seems kind of odd. Conversely, sites like Now Smell this seem to be more female orientated.

Do men care more about the fragrances they wear than women? Has Basenotes just become naturally 'blokey'?

Default Re: Male Domination of Basenotes

Good question and it's certainly something that is very noticeable.
    Certainly the guys here on Basenotes are very passionate and particular about fragrance. Not sure about an answer but maybe it has to do with men being able to openly discuss fragrance here. I know with my guy friends, and many women friends also, that I get a hard time for having fragrance as a hobby. So I guess here we all have the same affliction
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    Good question and it's certainly something that is very noticeable.
    Certainly the guys here on Basenotes are very passionate and particular about fragrance. Not sure about an answer but maybe it has to do with men being able to openly discuss fragrance here. I know with my guy friends, and many women friends also, that I get a hard time for having fragrance as a hobby. So I guess here we all have the same affliction
    I guess that's both true and a bit sad -- makes us all sound kinda furtive and repressed in a way

Maybe it's also self-perpetuating, i.e. the more men who join Basenotes as a 'safe haven' the less women feel inclined to ?

It's probably because men are typically insecure in real life social environments and don't show their true personality out of fear or paranoia ("too gay/fem" judgments). Perfume discussions are probably unconventional amongst the average male but hopefully silly notions like that are changing. I'm a guy that doesn't believe in labels and my friends and family know my love for fashion and fragrance and I'm not afraid to speak about either. Men seem to feel "safer" discussing perfumes on here amongst one another.

I get judged by men when they find out I wear perfumes marketed towards both men & women. My response? Perfumes are perfumes. Doesn't matter which box they come out of. If it smells wonderful on me, I'm going to buy and wear it x

Basenotes Plus

In similar threads in the past I think that it's been mentioned that Basenotes started out as a male Forum, so maybe that's had an effect.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Quote Originally Posted by BoyChanel View Post
    It's probably because men are typically insecure in real life social environments and don't show their true personality out of fear or paranoia ("too gay/fem" judgments). Perfume discussions are probably unconventional amongst the average male but hopefully silly notions like that are changing. I'm a guy that doesn't believe in labels and my friends and family know my love for fashion and fragrance and I'm not afraid to speak about either. Men seem to feel "safer" discussing perfumes on here amongst one another.

I get judged by men when they find out I wear perfumes marketed towards both men & women. My response? Perfumes are perfumes. Doesn't matter which box they come out of. If it smells wonderful on me, I'm going to buy and wear it x
    I'm sure this is all true - sadly. But other fragrance forums have lots of female contributors whereas Basenotes seems to have very few. Are they being scared off for some reason?

No... you cannot scare us.... xx

I like the fact that gentlemen can discuss fragrance openly here. It isn't so easy to do in public anyway, even as a woman. Most people glaze over in about five minutes at best!

I have to chime in. Its a tricky thing indeed. Personally, I don't have many outlets to chat about scents. As was noted by a previous BNer I've seen peoples eyes start to glaze over at about 5 minutes. On a side note, the lady behind the fragrance counter at the pharmacy next to me is completely baffled how I know about scents. I give her samples once in a while. "Well", she said, "If you ever want a p/t job" Thanks but nope. The "selection" was underwhelming..
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

I think it's because we are comfortable in our own skin (or what goes on own skin...lol). A lot of us guys wear fragrances, but don't discuss it. And as men, we are natural columunists when it comes to comparing things we have. ex. cars, wealth, women, materialistic posessions. Sad, but true.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    In similar threads in the past I think that it's been mentioned that Basenotes started out as a male Forum, so maybe that's had an effect.
    I never knew -- that would explain a lot. Was it reviewing only male fragrances then?

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    No... you cannot scare us.... xx

I like the fact that gentlemen can discuss fragrance openly here. It isn't so easy to do in public anyway, even as a woman. Most people glaze over in about five minutes at best!
    Well with any subject I talk about this seems to happen Do you look at other more female orientated fragrance sites?

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    I have to chime in. Its a tricky thing indeed. Personally, I don't have many outlets to chat about scents. As was noted by a previous BNer I've seen peoples eyes start to glaze over at about 5 minutes. On a side note, the lady behind the fragrance counter at the pharmacy next to me is completely baffled how I know about scents. I give her samples once in a while. "Well", she said, "If you ever want a p/t job" Thanks but nope. The "selection" was underwhelming..
    I think it would be nice to have more female contributors. I don't want to cause any offence here, but I've found that the most knowledgeable SA's are usually men. Not a crticism, just an observation.

Shame that we still have to discriminate. It would be nice if Basenotes was filled with people who are passionate about all aspects of Fragrance, and Perfumery; rather than men and women who are. Oh, hang on, it is. It is the same thing. I read reviews and comments, and half the time don't know if the person expressing themselves is male or female; and all the time, don't care.

I generally spend most of my time in the GFD sub forum and here the difference is not that huge... As the previous poster says, here there are people who care about all aspects of Fragrance and Perfumery and not just about more or less stereotypically gender related issues about fragrance wearing.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

One & only reason - GIT & Aventus are marketed for men & so many men want to discuss, re-discuss, re-re-discuss these again & again

Jokes apart, I've wondered too on this a few times - because, even now, it's taboo to utter "wearing parfum" at the work place - "men = cologne & women = parfum" is unfortunately the general idea out there (based on work place comments - from fashion trendy colleagues).

Guess we are the minority of men who don't distinguish the edt / edp or marketing towards men / women hype & like to wear what we like & expand our knowledge of the same...
    Last edited by badarun; 24th June 2014 at 04:31 PM.

This question has been answered in a number of past threads.

As I understand it, when Grant created Basenotes sometime around 2000, all the online fragrance discussion groups were run by women and dominated by women. He wanted to create a space where men could discuss fragrances among themselves, and concentrate on fragrances marketed to men as opposed to the primarily feminine perfumes being discussed on the other internet boards.

Of course the site has evolved, adding a women's section and eventually other sub-boards, and there has been a growing amount of discussion of unisex fragrances on all the boards. The site, however, has largely kept its emphasis on male members and discussion among them.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Shame that we still have to discriminate. It would be nice if Basenotes was filled with people who are passionate about all aspects of Fragrance, and Perfumery; rather than men and women who are. Oh, hang on, it is. It is the same thing. I read reviews and comments, and half the time don't know if the person expressing themselves is male or female; and all the time, don't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    I generally spend most of my time in the GFD sub forum and here the difference is not that huge... As the previous poster says, here there are people who care about all aspects of Fragrance and Perfumery and not just about more or less stereotypically gender related issues about fragrance wearing.
    Crikey -- I'm getting flamed

I'm just thinking that a more equal balance of genders might open up some more interesting threads rather than the tedious 'will I get laid wearing this' type ones

Men and our hobbies. It's in our nature to collect, categorize, organize, analyze and aggressively pursue a hobby.

We're also more likely to obsess over the minute details of our hobby. And as lpp mentioned, BN was originally a male forum.

Hence basenotes and its male domination.

I don't think it has anything to do with "this is the only place we can talk about it without feeling embarrassed." Because it's not like the average woman is out there in groups openly discussing the intricacies of their favorite chypre and therefore don't feel the need to come to basenotes. Fragrance fanatics are rare in my opinion.

Our pursuit of our hobby drove us online. Google and other search functions lead us to basenotes. The male presence we discovered when landing here surprised us and kept us here.

At this point it's self-perpetuating.

Long may we rule and dominant basenotes.

lol..

It years past, it seems there were more traffic on the female forum. Not sure if this is my imagination. I don't know why this is so taboo. Its a product most all of us use. Perhaps they treat it like shopping for milk. They find a brand they like, throw it in the cart, and its checked off the list. We are special in that its a hobby, we deconstruct formulations and give reviews, and our interest propels us to explore. This should be no different that a foody or a wine connoisseur. Perhaps some view us as obsessed. I've seen women with more shoes. Nothing wrong with this level of interest and it has lead to great personal satisfaction.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

lol..

I wonder what fragrance he is wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

lol..
    That guy is wearing raw Aventus pineapples round his neck

I was thinking MKK

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    It years past, it seems there were more traffic on the female forum. Not sure if this is my imagination. I don't know why this is so taboo. Its a product most all of us use. Perhaps they treat it like shopping for milk. They find a brand they like, throw it in the cart, and its checked off the list. We are special in that its a hobby, we deconstruct formulations and give reviews, and our interest propels us to explore. This should be no different that a foody or a wine connoisseur. Perhaps some view us as obsessed. I've seen women with more shoes. Nothing wrong with this level of interest and it has lead to great personal satisfaction.
    This is sort of what I was thinking, i.e. women spend less time worrying about their fragrance choices than men? But obviously all day on choosing a pair of shoes or the right handbag

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Crikey -- I'm getting flamed

I'm just thinking that a more equal balance of genders might open up some more interesting threads rather than the tedious 'will I get laid wearing this' type ones
    Not by me; honest. Ignore the "will I get laid" crap and concentrate on the good stuff written by people who enjoy fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Not by me; honest. Ignore the "will I get laid" crap and concentrate on the good stuff written by people who enjoy fragrance.
    Only joshing

I'll try to

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    This question has been answered in a number of past threads.

As I understand it, when Grant created Basenotes sometime around 2000, all the online fragrance discussion groups were run by women and dominated by women. He wanted to create a space where men could discuss fragrances among themselves, and concentrate on fragrances marketed to men as opposed to the primarily feminine perfumes being discussed on the other internet boards.
    This is exactly the reason.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

I don't think it has anything to do with "this is the only place we can talk about it without feeling embarrassed." Because it's not like the average woman is out there in groups openly discussing the intricacies of their favorite chypre and therefore don't feel the need to come to basenotes. Fragrance fanatics are rare in my opinion.
    That's very true. Having nobody in real life to talk to about perfume is not a particularly male problem.

The gender balance here is ok with me. I always turn right to New Posts, so most of the time I don't even realize which board I'm reading. Plus, female-dominated perfume boards have their own annoying eccentricities, so it all comes out in the wash.

This is the first question I asked myself when I joined BN, how come there are way more men here than women? Whereas on most other perfume/beauty related forums women are obviously dominating? Well, I understand that BN was started as a male discussion forum but that was really long time ago so I wonder what's preventing more ladies to join now? Normally women like to discuss things like this even if they aren't really "too serious"about it, in terms it occupies significant amount of time in their everyday life but just because women in general (speaking about an "average" women, however vague that term might be) tend to speak more than men, especially on beauty related subjects. So it still remains unclear to me why BN doesn't attract more women whilst other forums are crowded with them! Either way, I'm inviting all the ladies to join because it would make things more interesting and open more subjects on fragrances that are being neglected due to the fact that they are addressed more towards women. And altough most of us here agree that perfume knows not of gender, it still puts "male" and "unisex" frags in the spotlight whilst female ones are being less discussed.

Basenotes Plus

Is it possible that the current female market is less interesting 'though?

I don't remember my last 'new' female-marketed purchase.

Could be that but I wouldn't say that it is the main reason, because I take part in other beauty related forums (in my country and international) and women are all over it! Discussing freely, mostly designer scents, writing "essays" about new launches, giving advice and suggestions etc etc. The only thing that comes to mind tough is that it could be due to the fact that BN is more "niche" or "harder to get frags" oriented whilst most of these forums discuss designer frags...Now that I think of it, Armani Si and the upcomming Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream are all over the place...so partially it could be that. It could be that more women go for designer scents and then don't feel like joining here because they don't have enough "knowledge" to discuss. As a matter of fact, a few years ago, I probably wouldn't've joined myself, as I was mostly into designer scents but since I moved pass that and gave this "hobby" more attention - this was the first place I went in search for info! So there's one possible reason.
    Still doesn't explain how come there are so many men here, as most men I know wear designer scents and even those that enjoy wearing and buying niche, still don't feel like writing about it. Or maybe they have an account here, but would never tell?

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Is it possible that the current female market is less interesting 'though?

I don't remember my last 'new' female-marketed purchase.
    well, yeah you're right. and even the frags that tend to smell more "female" are labelled unisex so I guess there wouldn't be many more to discuss about but what I meant is, if more ladies would join we would have more women impressions on frags, more suggestions and advice from women, I think it would give more diversity overall..

Basenotes Plus

True

so common ladies! Join the party!

Another thing that comes to mind is that BN goes pretty "deep" into fragrance, can get a bit "technical" whereas most women I know (and on these forums I talked about) tend to explainn frags like "oh that smells feminine, that smells fresh" etc etc and don't go into much detail. Most of my girl friends will say for example, "oh this smells sooo nice" but if you ask what is it that she likes about the frag and what notes does she find most appealing you'll get something like "I don't know, it's nice, smells sweet" and that's it. So maybe BN can be a bit intimidating at first. I just recently joined and I remember that I thought "oh my, I will never be able to detect notes like that" but it's funny how fast you learn and soon you smell notes in a frag that you would never notice before. So one big plus for BN - you really learn a lot if you care enough to join and just communicate.
    Last edited by Vernona; 24th June 2014 at 10:12 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I'm male. Who's going to do the domination?

Haha

I wonder if rather than the whole of basenotes being male dominated, it is merely certain threads. I frequent the DIY section and the new posts tab, and freely join any conversation. I don't look at whether it is in the male section or not. It does make sense to have a male and female section because the perfumes are specific. I do ignore the more boring A word threads. I hadn't particularly noticed that basenotes was male dominated before this thread arose. Do you really care as long as the conversation is stimulating? Go to where all the female conversation is and join in there. It will soon cross over the other way as a result. One tends to look out for the names after a good chat with someone, and the threads they are on.

The women's side used to be fifty times as active as it is now. Used to be a lot of aficionados and great threads. Some of the best ones left, some are around - purplebird7, twolf, etc. Not sure why it dropped out. Wish it would come back. People like moondeva, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The women's side used to be fifty times as active as it is now. Used to be a lot of aficionados and great threads. Some of the best ones left, some are around - purplebird7, twolf, etc. Not sure why it dropped out. Wish it would come back. People like moondeva, etc.
    Sad but true. A few years ago there was a lot more discussion on the women's board. Some of the more interesting contributors are now involved with other sites or facebook groups. Some of them probably grew weary of the drama here - site problems, over moderation, the Huddler fiasco, the mushroom cloud of "bros" casting a shadow over the site. Others were banned for not adhering to the Basenotes code of generic blandness.

I hope the women's side rebounds. I have greatly enjoyed reading the posts of our female members as I am very interested in "feminine" fragrances, which get far less attention on the male side. Come on back, ladies!

It could be an age thing. I know a couple of the ladies hinted at forthcoming children. With your hands full of small children and very little sleep. Perfumes take low priority.

PS. Maybe it is just that ladies fragrances are no longer as good as they were.
    Last edited by mumsy; 25th June 2014 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Sad but true. A few years ago there was a lot more discussion on the women's board. Some of the more interesting contributors are now involved with other sites or facebook groups. Some of them probably grew weary of the drama here - site problems, over moderation, the Huddler fiasco, the mushroom cloud of "bros" casting a shadow over the site. Others were banned for not adhering to the Basenotes code of generic blandness.
    A fair summary. I think the same applies to the male fragrance board, although possibly to a lesser extent.

Why are we all complaining about this? When was the last time we were able to dominate anything?
    I say next we shoot for world domination. My girl says I gotta be home by 8 but.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Dependent

Women have better things to do with their time
    Seasonal rotation:

Original Santal
    Apple Brandy
    Tuscan Leather
    Silver Mountain Water
    Lyric Man

I think the ladies have moved on forums elsewhere like the Facebook fragrance friends :-)

I believe it's due to AVENTUS.

It could be the fact that we are slightly boring... Out of all the fragrance in the world we talk about the same fragrances over and over!!!

My belated take&viewpoint: while I cannot know the exact reason why there is a certain male predominance on BN, I keep on being fascinated and pleasantly surprised how many different male fragrance collectors, hobbyists, aficionados etc. liberally interact, share, communicate and even enrich fragrance knowledge here.

Have the women been getting BANNED even more than the men lately?!

just looked on the Female forum. I thought the men's forum has dropped off a bit lately. What a ghost town over there. Looks like most of the posts over there are by men.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

I got banned then was asked to come back.

j/k

Basenotes Plus

This board is strictly only for the Discussion of Fragrances worn by and/or marketed to Generals.

Other boards slow down a lot in summer - maybe that's it? Also, discussion here isn't what it used to be. Certain topics are just being beaten to death and it makes things less interesting.

I checked the SOTD threads yesterday. The female one had about a quarter of the entries of the male one.

But then, when I opened the female thread up a lot of the contributions were from men

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    Women have better things to do with their time
    (giggle)
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

They are over on a Huddler version of Basenotes somewhere posting threads like "What happened to all the men?"
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

So the question is now, will women make a comeback to basenotes?

I recently joined Basenotes for the DIY section. I did notice more guys than gals. Usually "craft" forums are female dominated. Either way is fine with me as I'm here for information.
    "This, what is it in itself, and by itself, according to its proper constitution? What is the substance of it? What is the matter, or proper use? What is the form, or efficient cause? What is it for in this world, and how long will it abide? Thus must thou examine all things that present themselves unto thee." Marcus Aurelius

juanderer *snort* hehehe

It's interesting to think about, but I agree that it's probably just the self-perpetuating nature of the site from its origins as a guy-oriented fragrance forum.

That said, I wonder if on the women's side we are not quite as...democratic...as the guys seem to be. I think the women's side has an overall air of exclusivity which might not seem so welcoming to newcomers who seek to discuss designer/mainstream/etc. fragrances.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

I have never noticed any sort of "air of exclusivity" on any of the sites on Basenotes. I read and often reply to topics on any site; DIY, General, Masculine or Feminine. I have never felt ignored or unwelcome.

Basenotes Plus

[QUOTE=ErinK;3182064]juanderer *snort* hehehe

It's interesting to think about, but I agree that it's probably just the self-perpetuating nature of the site from its origins as a guy-oriented fragrance forum.

That said, I wonder if on the women's side we are not quite as...democratic...as the guys seem to be.I think the women's side has an overall air of exclusivity which might not seem so welcoming to newcomers who seek to discuss designer/mainstream/etc. fragrances.
    /QUOTE]
    That has certainly been mentioned to me privately by one or two new female members in the past but quite a few new members seem to be fitting in currently.
    Last edited by lpp; 27th June 2014 at 07:48 PM.