Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Feedback? ELdO's Rien v. Dior Leather Oud

I searched the forums, and found a little bit on the subject, but I'm looking for a more direct comparison.

I used to own Rien, but haven't smelled it in a long time. I recently sampled Dior's Leather Oud at a duty free (card only). I immediately thought, "Oh. It's just Rien with a bit of oud. Got it."

So I have only my memory of Rien and a card sample of Leather Oud. I know. Not great for the purposes of true comparison.

Is my memory wrong, or are these two all that similar? Has anyone tried a true side-by-side comparison? Any feedback on the differences (especially dry down?).

If they really are similar, and I grew tired of Rien, I probably won't go for a bottle of Leather Oud - that's why I'm looking for some input. Many thanks in advance!
    Check out my personal blog: http://stayathomedadfindsacologne.com

"Perfume and incense make the heart glad..."

-Proverbs 27:9

Default Re: Feedback? ELdO's Rien v. Dior Leather Oud

They are both butch animalic leathers, but there are differences.

Rien is a powerful, almost disturbingly so, dry leather with tons of animalic musks. No woods or smoothing ambers. It's like a big living animal. Leather oud smells like smoked oud, a combination of woods, resins, leathers, and some animalics. A leather, but less directly so. The drydown is suitably dry, but less so than Rien.

While it's quite butch, it's certainly more refined and elegant than Rien; you wouldn't mistake it for a living animal. So if you thought Rien as being rough, or simplistic, Leather oud will likely have more interest and variety. So I think you shouldn't exclude it a priori. Of course, at those prices, you really need to sample. Incidentally, the drydown of Leather Oud is not miles away from that of Oud Ispahan, though the way to get there is completely different. OI starts as a metallic rose. In any case, if you like the base but want something different than a butch leather, it's something you can consider as well.

cacio

Blog Entries

Always very helpful, cacio! Thanks! I like the idea of a "more refined and elegant" Rien - especially since I had no sense of the drydown of Leather Oud on skin. I'll put it on the sample list. As for Oud Ispahan, I believe that was another sample I tried (in a big rush) at the same duty-free. No time to get much of an impression - but I think the "butch animalic leather" is what I'm looking to add back into my collection. Leather Oud might be the one.
    Last edited by Petrichor; 25th June 2014 at 08:23 PM.

Anymore takes on this?

I own LO, and I have a bottle of Rien on the way, so I'm curious about the comparision. I'll try to remember to revisit this thread when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

While it's quite butch, it's certainly more refined and elegant than Rien
    Agree with this observation and enjoy both.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Rien is a brutal leather -- nothing is quite like it. Nihilism in a bottle - hence the name

Blog Entries

I really like Rien, and think the descriptors of "rough" or even "brutal" are spot on. That's probably why I ultimately tired of it (not to mention that I found it really difficult to wear--or maybe I just don't have enough confidence to pull it off!). From cacio and hednic's observations, would it be fair to say that LO is the more wearable of the two? "Refined" and "elegant" seem to point toward a greater degree of comfortability.

JiveHippo: please do post some thoughts when your bottle of Rien arrives.
    Last edited by Petrichor; 25th June 2014 at 08:22 PM.

Rien to me was absolutely offensive. It was somewhere between bad breath and a used saddle seat. This is coming from someone who likes all the stinky leather scents.

Leather Oud has been in my rotation for a few years now. It is one of the best bangs for your buck hands down. However the smell of honey and animal fur can get old after a while so I put it aside sometimes. The numbers of sprays makes a HUGE difference with this one. One to the chest and maybe a half to the back of your neck. Honey Oud Leather and Civet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Rien to me was absolutely offensive. It was somewhere between bad breath and a used saddle seat. This is coming from someone who likes all the stinky leather scents...Leather Oud has been in my rotation for a few years now. It is one of the best bangs for your buck hands down.
    Ah, good to know. That definitely leads me to suspect that LO is the more wearable of the two.

I prefer Rien, though both are interesting and challenging in their own ways. LO of course with a focus on leather and oud, dark and masculine. Whilst Rien being more playful, in my opinion, with aldehydes, florals, leather and other notes. Both are very good, but I would wear neither for an extended period, they are the kind of fragrances that are somewhat domineering and one could easily get bored.

Oud Ispahan is my big favourite and would beat both of the two above.
    Last edited by farang; 26th June 2014 at 10:35 AM.
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

Leather Oud smells good, Rien is ok but too expensive for what it is (chemical warfare), I'd buy it for half the price.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Rien to me was absolutely offensive. It was somewhere between bad breath and a used saddle seat. This is coming from someone who likes all the stinky leather scents.

Leather Oud has been in my rotation for a few years now. It is one of the best bangs for your buck hands down. However the smell of honey and animal fur can get old after a while so I put it aside sometimes. The numbers of sprays makes a HUGE difference with this one. One to the chest and maybe a half to the back of your neck. Honey Oud Leather and Civet.
    THIS EXACTLY. Leather Oud is wonderful, and I love MFK APLS, vintage Kouros, Oud Ispahan, MKK and several other animalics very much. But Rein was just downright nasty. Burned plastic? Shoe polish? I dont get it ..... pass.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

I wore Rien today and I actually found it pretty well behaved. Leather Oud is definitely more of a challenge, but I think they're very different fragrances. I was expecting something crazy from Rien, but to me it just smells like a dirtied up Knize 10. So to the op, I would recommend further testing of LO, as I think it's quite different from Rien.

Rien must wear very differently on each individual. I owned a bottle years ago and mostly what I remember, and what I specifically remember from all of the ELdO line, was massive amounts of aldehydes.

Besides Aventus, DHI, Pure Malt, & arguably a few others, not many scents are better than Leather Oud.

both great...but prefer LO