Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do Women Really Like Your Colognes???

I see a lot of guys here are interested in a wide range of colognes with a wide range of scents. Fragrances that smell like an oil rig, a mechanics garage, a peppermint patty, a chocolate bar, malts, beers, anamalic urine, BO, Windex, Pinesol, licorice, cotton candy, bubblegum, lemondrops, Tang OJ, BBQ sauce, a burning forest, and the inside of my 1980s Reebok Pump sneakers to name a few. You could name some pretty crazy scents and its a sure bet some guy here owns it, AND LOVES IT! And a bunch more guys think its cool and want to buy the same stuff.

So here is my question: Do the women in your lives really like some of that crazy a$$ stuff we like, or would they rather that we slap on the ADG, The One, or Polo Red and be done with it?
    Last edited by SmellyFinger; 27th June 2014 at 02:21 PM.

Default Re: Do Women Really Like Your Colognes???

My wife and daughters most certainly do and those are the women who are important in my life.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

No, not so much....but truth be told neither do I.lol Mostly I just buy "safe" designer scents, I just want to smell good...not weird. But even having said that, my GF is 25 and likes most of the scents I own...but there are a few that she gives me the yuck face on!

Sometimes the worst BO smelling men (with average looks) have great success in attracting women
    but other men can't stand within 3 feet of them. So I think the repulsion factor of bad smells is
    overrated. Just wear what you enjoy and if she enjoys it that's a bonus.

My wife likes about 75% of my warmer weather colognes and hates the same percentage of my colder weather colognes, lol. I don't care.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Dependent

Nope they don't. I don't care about who's jealous of my wife at work either, but because I love her I pretend. Just like she pretends to like everything I put on
    Seasonal rotation:

Original Santal
    Apple Brandy
    Tuscan Leather
    Silver Mountain Water
    Lyric Man

No, probably not. I don't like many of the sugary fruit syrup fragrances that she wears either, but she does, so I pretend.

My wife would prefer it if I wore no scent.
    Signature Scent

I think some guys can pull off cologne better than others and of course it depends on what you choose. I've never met a girl who doesn't like a guy that smells nice. Smelling weird however is a completely different story. The first thing that comes to mind are older men who wear very sweet scents. It's just weird sorry. Older men should smell like something else besides sweet fruits.

If you want women to like what you wear you need to be realistic in what you choose. A strong masculine fragrance which exudes class and prosperity trumps creative picks IMO. Of course you will find women who like more creative smells like fellow female base noters but if you want a "panty dropper" like so many of you do maybe trying out Chanel 19 or a Serge Lutens on a date isn't a great idea.

If you do pick something obscure you better sure hope that thing works on you or you will be stamped out almost instantly.

***Women from different countries respond differently though. American women are way more conservative with fragrances and how they relate to men.

It's the way you carry yourself.

An alpha guy could pour pomegranate molasses over himself & have ladies falling for him.

for swap/sale:

The thing is, there are men here, as you noted, who really like scents that are outside of the mainstream, scents perhaps not associated with what might count as "smelling nice" to 90% of the (non-basenotes) population.

Certainly, then, there are women who have this same inclination? I don't know how good the odds are that the olfactory preferences between two people will exactly line up, but it is certainly possible. My wife hates things like Bleu de Chanel, and absolutely goes nuts over things like Habit rouge (she is French though and grew up smelling Kouros on her dad, which she also loves, so keep that in mind).

In general, though, as hedonist implies above, the girl will like YOU, and then what you wear, assuming it doesn't clash too extremely with her olfactory inclinations, will probably enhance this affect.

[Incidentally, my wife's favorites on me are Slumberhouse Ore, Habit rouge, and Hermes Bel ami.]

Wife and daughter's opinions do count, so if something really revolts them it gets shelved. Has not really happened, on the other hand compliments aren't that common either. Mainly 1805 triggers extra positive comments from Mrs Trail, otherwise a general 'you always smell nice' type of thing is the norm

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

Basenotes Junkie

I think my wife must like what I wear because we tend to share a lot of scents. Just today she grabbed my incense Rose (Tauer), made sure I wasn't wearing it already (I had incense oud on) and used it herself. I do that with 'her' plum japonaise and Ambre Nuit.

The rest of the women? Don't really care so long as it isn't an offending smell (one person at work hates guerlain vetiver, so I don't wear it to work).

thanks
    rick

Basenotes Plus

My GF likes the fresher citrus and floral fragrances, everything that's outside of this realm smells of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My wife and daughters most certainly do and those are the women who are important in my life.
    ...this (except the daughters; I have a son)...!

Not sure, but I think perhaps, yes, as this what I have to contend with every morning when I make a dash for a cab to work . . .

queen-bicycle-race-poster.jpg

Of course it may just be my personality
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Wife enjoys all my cologne. Key is to go light on the trigger
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Not sure, but I think perhaps, yes, as this what I have to contend with every morning when I make a dash for a cab to work . . .

Hahaha

for swap/sale:

Yes, we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Yes, we do.
    Ummwahhh

Hi foustie

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post

Hee hee. You might want to go a bit easier on the trigger..........

Seriously guys, there may be a few women who love a stinker, but believe me that is either a fetish, or mutually poor hygeine. The rest of us are to fragrant guys like moths to a flame. Promise.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Ummwahhh

Hi foustie
    Hi gorgeous. I swear I can smell you from here in my olfactory imagination, and I swoon at your feet. Which are as fragrant as the rest of you I hope.

Don't really care, however I fear they don't most of the times. My girlfriend likes 1 scent on 100 that I let her try (the feedback for the other 99 is usually either "it stinks!" or "smells like soap"). Whenever I go visit my mother she almost never likes them too - except for Mitsouko once. About the ladies and the girls which assault me on a daily basis whenever I go, apparently they do.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | NICHE & VTG | Shiseido Basala, Boadicea Invigorating, SMN Tabacco Toscano, Signoricci, YSL M7 (AS), Gucci Envy for Men (AS), Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

My woman has good taste (obviously), so she likes the good stuff usually. Some more than others.

Generic, mainstream stuff not so much, e.g. Tommy Bahama for men (personally I like to keep some cheap, day to day scents around though).

***Women from different countries respond differently though. American women are way more conservative with fragrances and how they relate to men.
    Suits me. She likes my "old man scents". Sweet scents on the other hand get old lady/candy comments and I've learned to wear the I'm edible panty droppers when out and about alone .
    Last edited by Rüssel; 27th June 2014 at 12:13 PM.

My wife tends to be sentimental. And likes the smells she associates with special occasions such as our wedding day.
    But our tastes differ. She tends to like sweet Powdery fragrances and despises ones like L'eau Issey Miyake and TDH. She also hates Polo green even though it was the first fragrance she bought me when we got together. I might go out and buy another bottle as I have been without for too long. :-)

To be honest, my wife is really apathetic about most of my fragrance wardrobe. My daughter enjoys most of my fragrances, and likes to give me a thumbs up or thumbs down depending on what she thinks...(I think she's going to live Luca Turin a run for his money, as her taste is exquisite and sometimes her comments are genius for a 5-year-old). All of the other compliments I've received whether from strangers, colleagues, or friends have been taken at face value, and I think are genuine.

My partner shares most of mine so yes. This negates the need for her to buy any for herself and she always smells good.

I might have to look into this arrangement afresh

Wife likes some and some not so much, But I normally wear scents for myself. Makes me feel good.
    I just like to smell nice but interesting, I really like how a scent unfolds and enjoy getting a surprise whiff through the day

I'm just a noob though and don't put much thought into what someone else might think about what I'm wearing, Since I'm an average joe I can only guess to think that if I like it, probably someone else does also,

Mostly no - my wife, and most of the women I know / have known, are far more into the ones that make a guy smell fresh / clean. Luckily, I love those also.

However, my wife really likes Interlude Man, Cruel Intentions, and Avignon on me, so it's not always a 100% thing either way. There is a lot of crazy ones that she loves, and a lot of fresh/clean ones that she doesn't really like.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Given that my wife (who works in a care home so is an expert on the subject) thinks my beloved CdG 2 Man smells of “old ladies wee”, I tend to ignore her opinion much of the time.

My answer is: partly yes. The most expensive, exclusive, limited edition, niche etc. fragrances can get negative or neutral/no comments, while cheaper, or, at least, more generic, bestselling and wider-worn choices can get the most unexpected compliments.

I don't think you can totally generalize, but it does seem women I have been with prefer "nice" stuff greatly over "weird" stuff - therefore I do tend to gravitate towards the nicer stuff a lot (I'm kind of a "pleaser" when it comes to scents) However, some prefer the deep leathery spicy stuff, some the gourmands, and some prefer the fresh as a daisy stuff - so I tend to see what they prefer and then wear more of whatever seems to please them. It is nice to have them liking what you have on as opposed to "GAWD get away from me or go scrub that stuff off".

When you say nicer stuff , you know that's subjective to each individual nose Right! Anyways , yes my whole wardrobe is adore by my love one but only one Which is "GAO" by Xerjoff she says that it smells like sweaty Arabian Guy...Go figure cause I love it, and will wear it occasionally.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    When you say nicer stuff , you know that's subjective to each individual nose Right! Anyways , yes my whole wardrobe is adore by my love one but only one Which is "GAO" by Xerjoff she says that it smells like sweaty Arabian Guy...Go figure cause I love it, and will wear it occasionally.
    Definitely subjective I have known real "classy" women too who love the cheap and cheerful stuff and less well off ones who definitely prefer (and know) the higher end stuff - it's all totally subjective for sure

Actually it's just the opposite. She dislikes the everyday designer fragrances - complains and recoils from them just like I do for the most part - such as the AdG, Polo Red and The One which you mentioned - these are NO with the lady in my life. But, she is really attracted to incense fragrances and soft woods scents and occasionally an oud / rose fragrance - very attractive to my spouse. In fact she likes M/Mink, Avignon, Hinoki, Midnight Oud and Rose 31 so much she had to have her own bottles of these. We have similar tastes in fragrance - so that works out pretty well.

But, I know this is not the case with all women, but many I have worked around etc. enjoy the more interesting niche scents over the designer everyday scents.

Pretty much this...she's coming around to the other odd scents too. She did say she like Slumberhouse Vikt, which was rather surprising. Typically, if it's not a fresh scent, she says it smells like "trees and wood." The fragrances she really likes are: AdG Essenza, Bond No. 9 Wall Street, Brecourt Esprit Mondain...

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Mostly no - my wife, and most of the women I know / have known, are far more into the ones that make a guy smell fresh / clean. Luckily, I love those also.

However, my wife really likes Interlude Man, Cruel Intentions, and Avignon on me, so it's not always a 100% thing either way. There is a lot of crazy ones that she loves, and a lot of fresh/clean ones that she doesn't really like.

I prefer women who think outside of the box and/or are quirky in their own way (alternative & artistically inclined), thus would appreciate my standing out of the crowd. It's worked for me so far, although as a caveat: I'm quite descreetly dignified in application, as opposed to some trigger fingers here. I also live in a place that is more Cosmopolite/European/Multiculturally influenced in respect to social mores, including fragrances.

Basenotes Plus

I do not think that there is an actual answer.

The other day, my wife commented on how nice I smelled - I was wearing Amouage Interlude.

Yesterday, my wife suggested that she wasn't as struck on what I had on - I was wearing Amouage Interlude.

To be fair, my wife seems to hate the top of nearly all my fragrances but then likes the dry down so there is a good chance that the positive comment came after a few hours of wear.

In general, I get some pretty good comments from female colleagues but I think that is more to do with them knowing that I have a big interest in fragrances so are more conscious of what I am wearing than maybe they normally would be?

My girlfriend loves almost all fragrances in my collection but a few (vintage Kouros unfortunately is one of them) but she knows what is cheap and what is expensive smelling when I have her guessing what I am wearing.
    In general, though, compliments that come my way are more often from the cheaper fragrances (Lomani, Chrome, Cool Water etc.)
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

I would think the weird fragrances are for self enjoyment.

I tend to play it a lot safer and less "retro" (Creed Baie de Genievre is the obvious exception) and I spray a ton less than most folks here. I blame it on my time in Japan; but I tend to like my scents closer to the skin.

With that said, I'm not that "cologne guy" or "oversprayer guy" by no means yet folks have picked up on scents that I wear and have appreciated a lot of them. My wife, she approves of a lot of them, some way more than others. But in the end, women do seem to enjoy a well-groomed, good smelling man.

Basenotes Plus

Not a clue. Those that have complimented me on my worn fragrance happen to have the 'hots' for me so they don't really count IMO. Experience tells me women will find nice things to say about you if they do like you. What fragrance you have on doesn't really matter. You want an honest opinion? Ask your mom...

These Hoes aint loyal! My girl can careless. She says she likes it and compliments the way I smell cuz she knows I have a obsession.

My wife would talk non-stop about things she's interested in and completely ignore subjects that have no interest to her. Perfumes fall into the second category. She probably won't comment even if wear 10 sprays of Kouros layered with 10 sprays of Joop. So I'm kind of blessed with the opportunity to wear my weirdest scents (I don't have many) without being reprimanded. On the other hand, it's nice to have feedback sometimes...

My "work wife" says I always smell delicious! But truth be told, as a gay man I really don't care if women like my scent as long as the guys do.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieGee View Post
    These Hoes aint loyal! My girl can careless. She says she likes it and compliments the way I smell cuz she knows I have a obsession.
    I know this is a Chris Brown lyric and all, but given that Basenotes has a prominent female readership, let's not refer to women in such a manner shall we?

The women in my life hardly notice I'm wearing anything at all even though I wear a fragrance daily -- I generally only apply one spray. And I would say that women have preferences in styles of perfumery the way most here do. If perfumery is not their hobbyhorse then they will have difficulty elucidating what it is that they precisely like about a scent. So they don't really fall into this black hole of searching for fragrant ideals and arcane themes in perfumery.

A lot of women I've known dislike AdG, D&G, fresh Polo scents, et al simply because they dislike the typical basic bros that wear them. Some women love those scents though because they've never been exposed to anything different.

My girlfriend smells everything I sample, which is usually either bold, niche, avant garde and she likes maybe 20 percent of what I sample.

When expressing interest in avant garde forms in any medium -- whether it's film, music, painting, or perfumery -- you're bound to get some disapproval.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My Wife, Son and Daughter Love my Fragrance... My Son will be 34 in November... I taught Him from a very young age that He must smell good... I believe He was around 8... I taught my Daughter from the time She was 6... She will be 8 in August!!! Both of my Children Love fragrance!!! Both Love Creeds and Bonds!!! That's scary!!!
    My Wife will tell me if something is just ok... And She will tell me what She Loves!!! She Loves 95% of my fragrance... And likes the rest!!!

No. Most of my close female friends who I let see my collection dislike many that are highly regarded here such as M7, Rive Gauche, most vetivers. But they like Cool Water, AdG, etc. Understandable.

My wife doesn't wear female frags. She only wears my scents (many of them). But she loves TdH, Chanel Sycomore, Allure Homme Edition Blanche/Cologne Sport, Guerlain Vetiver and Homme/Homme L'Eau.

Some appear to but I don't give it much thought.

Ok, I see that the subject moves more into closer family connections. I'll keep that out and say that women I've mingled with or mingle with, appreciate fresh aromatic frags, or fresh-spicy-woody frags. In short, Azzaro Chrome, Davidoff Cool Water, Azzaro Silver Black, Versace PH, Versace Man Fraiche, Boss in Motion Black, Carolina Herrera Chic for men, Cerruti PH.

Seldom IF EVER do they appreciate M7, Body Kouros etc. etc. - you know them, no need to make the list for the Nth time.

Do women like turnip greens, kombucha, chocolate cake, creosote, baby powder, muscles, the color black, rocks, chitlins, Labradors, Chihuahuas, feminism, football, Tommy Bahama, Rick Owens, S&M, ugly guys with big d*cks and good personalities? Who cares.

"Efficient mating strategies are good in principle, but this one is doomed. Waste time wondering which “cologne” pulls better, and your genes will spread only by lucky accident. A perfume should be right for the man, not for the job."

But for the hell of it, my woman likes:

Yatagan
    Songe d'un Bois d'Ete
    Sycomore
    Balenciaga pour Homme
    Bel Ami
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
    Zino Davidoff
    Nino Cerruti pour Homme (1979)
    Chypre Palatin
    Leather Oud
    Bois d'Orage

"They've done studies. 60% of the time, it works every time." - Brian Fantana

Sent from Richard's Ipad

I only have a collection because of my wife, it's all her fault.

I only own stuff she loves, likes or tolerates. Which hasn't been too much of a limiting factor - we are talking about a woman that thinks VC&A Precious Oud is the greatest perfume she's ever smelled.

But she does dislike stuff, and says so. Not because "it stinks", but because "it smells cheap". Which usually means it's got Calone, Dihyrdromyrcenol, some cheap white musk from a detergent, or "Woody Amber" in it.
    Last edited by andym72; 28th June 2014 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    An alpha guy

An alpha guy

An alpha guy
    You should avoid this phrase since it's utter nonsense, both with animals and with people.

Anyway, my girlfriend likes soap, aquatic, and citrus fragrances. Light stuff, which is great because I like those ones too.

Woman normally like the mass-produced colognes such as 1 Million, Invictus, Joop etc. Whenever I wear an Amouage, Bond No.9, or any very strong oud fragrance the other sex's response does not seem to be as favourable
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Some do some don't....My wife likes some niche and some designer....I have them marked so that when we have date night I can remember which ones....She loves:

L' Occitan Eau Des Baux
    Creed Aventus, MI, and Royal Oud
    MFK Oud and Amyris
    Escentric Molecules 02
    Fredrick Malle's VE
    Sycomore...

And many more....She really love most niche...She hated LDDM, Rose 31, MFK Luniere, ADP OUD, Fougere Royale (still on the fence with this one), Breath of God, Sahara Noir, etc....

I wear what I want too as I have always mentioned but when I get a compliment I truly enjoy it and yes, keep track of which ones get the ladies all roused up....Every nose is subjective and yes, I know that same scent I wore today that got complimented may not be complimented again by a different girl because everyone is different....Oud scents are terrible for MOST women here in the West...Rarely have I EVER gotten or received ANY compliments from the stronger OUd scents that are pretty much straight woodsy ouds....I think European women and many middle eastern women as well as Asians, tend to like the heavy OUD scents....Mixed Ouds do well with me and my skin so I like oud when its mixed with something to make the oud more milder....I just received a sample of M7 Fresh and its perfect for the Summer and my wife loves it....
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Not a clue. Those that have complimented me on my worn fragrance happen to have the 'hots' for me so they don't really count IMO. Experience tells me women will find nice things to say about you if they do like you. What fragrance you have on doesn't really matter.
    Agree with Diamondflame...I go one step further - I ask my 6.5 & 8 yr old nephew & niece - as they say kids do say the darnedest thing - no holds barred responses when I ask them to comment on the cologne / parfum I wear.

I find that my girl likes me to wear knize ten, eau sauvage and terre d'hermes. I find that l like to wear, for myself, the 80's big scents and bombs like Leather Oud and occasionally soft Sandalwood oils. i get little comment from other women.
    I think that most women probably like the clean,aqua and tide fresh fragrances of the day. I have too little time left in my life to wear any scent that bores me!