Code of Conduct

Default Invictus hits the States (+ review)

With the massive success of 1 Million in the US, it was only a matter of time before Paco Rabanne launched its newer sister scent Invictus in the US. But it's made the trip across the pond after a year in Europe, and it's an exclusive to Macy's (at least for now).

In a reversal of the usual pattern found by Basenoters, the local Macy's had a tester, but no bottles (though they were expecting them in any day now and will order one if you desire in the meantime). So I decided to spritz some on, with the usual low expectations for a recent aquatic designer release.

Now, a brief review: The top notes are relatively fresh and modern - good by designer aquatic standards. The mid notes have that same synthetic musk that permeates everything from Chrome to Wall Street, but that only lasts thirty minutes before a clean woody drydown that's, frankly, quite good for a designer.

The verdict? It's not the best aquatic that I've ever smelled (that honor goes to MI). But I've smelled far, far worse.
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Invictus hits the States (+ review)

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    The verdict? It's not the best aquatic that I've ever smelled (that honor goes to MI). But I've smelled far, far worse.
    I just tried this last night for the 1st time. I completely agree. Better than I was expecting. Not a holy grail scent by any means, but not too bad.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    4. Xerjoff - Fars
    5. Dior - Vetiver
    6. Creed - Green Valley
    7. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Creed - Royal Scottish Lavender

Bought a bottle of this when it was first released in July 2013 on vacation in Paris. Think it's a very pleasant and inoffensive scent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Any other opinions on this one? I see Fragrancenet has it in stock (not exactly cheap) and was wondering if it's worthwhile.

I wrote a short review recently on my blog, but it essentially revolves around a massive woody-amber accord (Amber Xtreme, plus Iso E Super no doubt) that's given a fresh ozonic/marine wash and tarted up with a candy-like sweetness (Ethyl Maltol).
    Worthwhile ? Depends on if you like that sort of thing

Fully agree with Ghandajala. Marine + potent woody amber. I strongly dislike both, so it's a no no for me. But I think if somebody likes, say, Light Blue, this should be ok. Less marine and with a better woody amber than that, luckily.

cacio

This is a nice fragrance... Not bad at all... I was a bit shocked that's for sure... I still like 1 Million way better!!!

Ah thanks for the heads up.. Ive only gotten to randomly smell it at duty free, maybe I can sneak a sample or something out of them now to give it some real wearings hopefully here soon.

Quite sweet to my nose, but its sweetness is rather pleasant to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Quite sweet to my nose, but its sweetness is rather pleasant to me.
    It is indeed quite sweet. Cloying sweet to my nose which is why I didn't purchase it but I can see people liking this. It's not terrible.

the bottle is tacky and the TV commercial blatantly gross... the scent..just one of those...

Tried this today at Macy's for the first time. It's awful, just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    the bottle is tacky and the TV commercial blatantly gross... the scent..just one of those...
    The bottle is tacky... I agree... The whole visual concept is tacky IMHO...

Its available online in the US, very easily. I tested it out in Canada, its decent but nothing much. Its smells like any of the fruity woody ambers out there. The fact the bottle looks like an urn does not help much either.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    Tried this today at Macy's for the first time. It's awful, just awful.
    My sentiments exactly. The only thing that is worse than the scent is the bottle.

Will take a trip to Macy's and check it out.