Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 55 of 55
  1. #1

    Default So I tried Aventus

    The bottle is beautiful, it looks awesome, the name is awesome, everybody loves it so it must smell awesome.

    I wasn't really impressed, let me start out that the sample I had tried was on a 250 anniversary (2010 I'm guessing then?) card. Now it didn't smell bad, it's just all I could get out of this scent was birch. Dry, ashy, burnt, birch. I can smell that it is good quality, I didn't feel sick from smelling it, however my family all told me to wash it off because they didn't like it. I refused, but they kept complaining so I ended up doing so.

    I tried it again another day and left the house, went out, it lasted for a good while but it didn't transform at all. It's pretty linear, all straight up birch it's a shame. I could not sense pineapple at all, which is terrible because I'm really familiar with that note and I LOVE pineapple. I'm guessing the batch I got was more focused on the birch rather than any fruity notes. I think I want to try it again with a different vial or bottle. I bought a sample from fragrancenet.com I believe it's a legitimate sample.

    This isn't a hey lets hate on creed! Post, I actually just recently started getting into them. I like MI and I plan on trying more. The smokey birch in aventus was just too.... dominant. What are your thoughts on it?

  2. #2

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I get you, I was underwhelmed as well. Even if there wasn't a huge hype surrounding it I wouldn't like it either, by no means a bad fragrance and actually lasts well on me (for a Creed) but I just can't dig it...even if I try to!

  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    82,415

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I personally have no idea which batch I have as it never really mattered to me. What I do know is that I like the large bottle of Aventus I have and am glad I bought it it when it first came out. Great scent IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  4. #4

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Looks like you got a smokey batch. Get a hold of a balance or pineapple batch, and you'll like it a lot more.

  5. #5
    Dependent caferacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,251

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I didn't care for it at first either, but I kept going though my sample and eventually (after 4-5 wearings) I started to understand what all the hype was about.

    I now own a full bottle and will continue to own a bottle for a very long time.

  6. #6

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    Looks like you got a smokey batch. Get a hold of a balance or pineapple batch, and you'll like it a lot more.

  7. #7
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York city
    Posts
    1,483

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I bought it before I ever heard of basenotes and since getting on here I've grown tired of it. Not from wearing it, but from the extreme hype/bashing of it on this site. It's a great fragrance IMO but like anything fragrance related, it's a matter of personal preference. I love it and I'll always own a bottle of it.
    Seasonal rotation:

    Original Santal
    Dior Homme
    Tuscan Leather
    Silver Mountain Water
    Lyric Man

  8. #8

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Yea dude i thought the same thing when i first tried it. I was like really that's it!? All i got was the birch & nothing else. Then after a few wearings i started to get what all the hype was about. Once you get the pineapple note you can pick it out easily.. its blended so well the birch & pineapple are almost one. Its like one of those magic eye things where u stare at it for a while and an image appears & you're like oh duh! Lol

  9. #9
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    6,574

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I didn't care for it at first... And I still don't care for it. I too feel it is quite smoky birch heavy and unimpressive.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

  10. #10

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I have only tried two different batches but the first batch fragrance was non-existent and the second was too birchy/smoky. I gave up.
    I also have MI, VIW and GIT and think they are great.

    I truly believe Creed has some batch issues, especially with Aventus.

  11. #11

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Wore it today and was complimented. I know this has been talked to death, but it really is one of the only scents (and I have hundreds) that gets such a positive reaction every time.

  12. #12

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Maybe the next time I'm in NYC I can swing by and get some direct sprays put on me and see what I get. I'm kinda apprehensive to buy a sample from fragrancenet again of aventus because I feel like I'd just end up getting one from the same batch haha. I haven't finished this one and I'll definitely keep trying it out until it's gone... The inconsistency between batches that I'm hearing about is annoying, because your favorite scent could potentially be lost forever. So the only solution is to stock up on a year that you like. Maybe the next year you'll like that bat better. Lol.

    Anyway, I didn't get melon in the MI sample that I have but I still loved it. Didn't seem too salty, just seemed like breezy ocean water and flowers.

  13. #13

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAboveSky View Post
    Maybe the next time I'm in NYC I can swing by and get some direct sprays put on me and see what I get. I'm kinda apprehensive to buy a sample from fragrancenet again of aventus because I feel like I'd just end up getting one from the same batch haha. I haven't finished this one and I'll definitely keep trying it out until it's gone... The inconsistency between batches that I'm hearing about is annoying, because your favorite scent could potentially be lost forever. So the only solution is to stock up on a year that you like. Maybe the next year you'll like that bat better. Lol.

    Anyway, I didn't get melon in the MI sample that I have but I still loved it. Didn't seem too salty, just seemed like breezy ocean water and flowers.
    Yea i would get in on a split so you get the juice directly from either the creed boutique or neiman marcus. Cuz i don't trust fragrancenet's creed's..*other people may be happy with it and that's fine. But they get greymarket stock & theres no telling how those bottles were stored. Probably sitting in a hot warehouse somewhere in the middle east for who knows how long.

  14. #14

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    This is a favorite of mine; but I'll be honest. In the beginning, it appealed more to my wife than it did to me. She purchased the Aventus perfumed oil for me, which had way more pineapple than the bottle I currently have. With some time, I've folded Aventus into my regular rotation and it's a decent scent.

    I get that you're not impressed, OP. And that's cool. I'm glad I purchased when I did, the $50 USD premium they're charging for it ($330 USD) now would have never made it a purchase worthy in my book either.

  15. #15

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I didn't care for it at first... And I still don't care for it. I too feel it is quite smoky birch heavy and unimpressive.
    That's exactly how I feel about aventus.
    Last edited by Freschi; 2nd July 2014 at 10:51 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAboveSky View Post
    This isn't a hey lets hate on creed! Post, I actually just recently started getting into them. I like MI and I plan on trying more. The smokey birch in aventus was just too.... dominant. What are your thoughts on it?
    ...forget this fake brand; it excels in mediocrity or worse...

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus
    FISS80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Grovetown, GA
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    An SA at Neiman Marcus was trying to get me to try it when it first came out (this was when I knew nothing about basenotes and the only Creed I knew was GIT) and I didn't like it at all! I ended up buying SMW. I ended up trying it again at a different Neiman Marcus about 6 months later and loved it! The only issue for me is longevity. I get about 3-4 hours max on skin with Aventus. However, on clothes it lasts for days!! I don't like spraying on clothes though so that does me no good. It is this situation for me with every Creed save BdP and Royal Oud. I think all of the Creed's smell great but after numerous tries, I've given up on the house as a whole with regards to purchasing their products. I'll finish the decants of MI, GIT, SMW, OS, and Aventus that I recently acquired but once those are gone, I probably won't be repurchasing anymore Creed products ever again.
    Last edited by FISS80; 2nd July 2014 at 11:47 AM.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

  18. #18

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    The problem is the inconsistency. When I first tried it, I posted a thread on how unimpressed I was, especially since it got so much hype, and this was already years ago before it was on the "fragrance pedestal". Then I finally tried the "good pineapple batch", and wow, what a difference. I mean the base notes are the same, but the top and middle are completely difference.. the pineapple note is second to none, best pineapple note around. Actually.. is it even pineapple. Or just a great combination of apple and black currant giving a pineapple accord? Whatever it is, it smells great, and if I had the money I would probably buy a bottle, (it would have to be a good pineappley batch) this coming from somebody who does not support niche houses price gouging, and rarely do I buy overpriced fragrances. I think this one is worth it if you can afford it.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

    Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

  19. #19

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    It's not the best smell according to me. But somehow the fresh masculine scent attracts people around you. It's masculine and fresh. Not a teenage scent

  20. #20

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I purchased it the week it was launched and the fruity aspect was very noticeable then. I haven't spotted much difference since except the hike in price

  21. #21

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I don't care for batches that much but a smoky one is much more harsh then the more fruity ones. And I can actually see how someone smelling themselves "since you smell it more closely" might like one over the other.

  22. #22

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I ordered a sample from a reputable online retailer, and all I got was smoke/birch much like you. Terribly disappointed, my gf and I couldn't figure out the hype. Then I found it in the store and smelled something completely different. Own a bottle now myself, and it's amazing. There was one bad year, that's the one I got and looks like you did too. Find a newer sample.
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

  23. #23

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I recently walked out of the mall with this on one wrist, and Mitsouko on the other... I got tons of pineapple from the top to mid phase. I guess I can see the appeal (who doesn't love pineapple -- it smells and tastes great!) but, rather than smelling elegant and sophisticated, to me it just reminds me of a deodorant.
    Last edited by repose; 3rd July 2014 at 01:16 AM.

  24. #24

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I'm not a real big Creed fan... But I must say this is one of my favorite Creeds!!! Smells Great... And lasts all day!!! My Wife Loves it also!!!

  25. #25

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I have serious issues smelling this on myself. My first bottle was my best bottle, but it's about gone. Very frustrating scent for me.

  26. #26

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAboveSky View Post
    The bottle is beautiful, it looks awesome, the name is awesome, everybody loves it so it must smell awesome.

    I wasn't really impressed
    Why were you expecting to be impressed? Because other people say, blah blah blah? The smartest thing you can do in terms of fragrances is learn your own tastes. Figure out what you like and stay true to that. Plenty of people rave about Green Irish Tweed, but it does nothing for me. People rave about Musc Ravageur. It's not for me. How many millions of bottles of Le Male have been sold? I don't like the stuff.

    Aventus doesn't impress you? No worries. For me, it's a very strong like but not quite a love. And it's nowhere near the top of my list of most complimented scents. It's quite nice, but I have so many others that people seem to enjoy so much more - based on compliments I've received.

    Different strokes for different folks.

    Never forget that hype is just other people's opinions, often blown out of proportion. Only you can be the judge of what you like and how much you like it.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  27. #27

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Why were you expecting to be impressed? Because other people say, blah blah blah? The smartest thing you can do in terms of fragrances is learn your own tastes. Figure out what you like and stay true to that. Plenty of people rave about Green Irish Tweed, but it does nothing for me. People rave about Musc Ravageur. It's not for me. How many millions of bottles of Le Male have been sold? I don't like the stuff.

    Aventus doesn't impress you? No worries. For me, it's a very strong like but not quite a love. And it's nowhere near the top of my list of most complimented scents. It's quite nice, but I have so many others that people seem to enjoy so much more - based on compliments I've received.

    Different strokes for different folks.

    Never forget that hype is just other people's opinions, often blown out of proportion. Only you can be the judge of what you like and how much you like it.
    ...amen...!

  28. #28
    Dependent Davem81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    1,396

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAboveSky View Post

    I wasn't really impressed
    Quote Originally Posted by TommehBoi View Post
    I get you, I was underwhelmed as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I didn't care for it at first... And I still don't care for it.
    Add me to the list of the underwhelmed too. Although in fairness I do intend to try it again - my sampling so far has been brief.

  29. #29
    dfranz
    Guest

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I smelled this on a card at Nieman's about a year ago and did NOT get the fuss...it literally smelled like an ash tray to me.

    Yesterday I went into a different Nieman's and spritzed some on my wrist because it still gets so much hoop la...

    ...and today I'm going back to buy a full 4 oz.

  30. #30

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Of the 900+ fragrances I have worn in the last 3 years - This is my wife's absolute favorite. She never heard of Creed. No idea of Basenotes. No hype. Just one smell that stands out above the hundreds of others. It is one of my favorites too. Unlike my wife, I had to wear it a few times before I fell in love with it. It smelled too much like newspapers to me at first. But I love it now...

    It's not for everyone. No fragrance is. But love it or hate it, you gotta give Creed credit for making something with amazing longevity, well loved, versatile, and unlike anything else ever created before. No fragrance will be liked by everyone. I am very happy about that. If only there were more fragrances being created that made everyone stop and try to copy them.
    Seasonal favorites:

    1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    10. Creed - Royal Oud

  31. #31

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Of the 900+ fragrances I have worn in the last 3 years - This is my wife's absolute favorite. She never heard of Creed. No idea of Basenotes. No hype. Just one smell that stands out above the hundreds of others. It is one of my favorites too. Unlike my wife, I had to wear it a few times before I fell in love with it. It smelled too much like newspapers to me at first. But I love it now...

    It's not for everyone. No fragrance is. But love it or hate it, you gotta give Creed credit for making something with amazing longevity, well loved, versatile, and unlike anything else ever created before. No fragrance will be liked by everyone. I am very happy about that. If only there were more fragrances being created that made everyone stop and try to copy them.
    My wife loves Aventus also (one her favorite fragrances on me) and she doesnt know anything about the hype either.............Along with many of my male and female co-workers and clients, that are constantly in awe with this specific fragrance. Its just so different from everything else and to me it smells like "power" for some reason, like authority, sucess, all of that combined (weird explanation, I know)

    Of course, some people will not like it (as with every single fragrance), but i'm pretty sure Aventus is probably one of the fragrances with lowest percentage of "dislikes", coupled with one of the highest percentages of "Loves", which places Avenuts in sort a place by itself. That's my 2 cents (Sorry for using a math analogy on this, but after all, numbers are everything and that's also my profession)

  32. #32

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I liked my sample of Aventus I received a week ago and can understand the "hype". My only complaint is the the pineapple note was too sweet and sharp. Maybe it was the batch?

  33. #33
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Lyon, France
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I tried it also a week ago, buy only on paper.(my arms were already full...)
    Well I thought It smells good and my wife too. So I'll test it on skin in a near future.
    What's funny is that the scent that the paper left, in the part of the living room where I put it, reminded me of another birchy and peppery fragrance... Comme des garçons Black. Of course it has some freshness added to it (flower ? Fruit ?). Don't know yet if it behaves like that on skin.
    Anyone shares that impression ?

    Pretty decent scent anyway. I can see why it's a crowd pleaser.

  34. #34

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Based on my personal experience with Aventus, me liking it is based on two factors: the age of the juice and the batch. I smelled Aventus for the first time from a small decant. It was way too smokey for me and I didn't understand the hype. About 6 months later, I sampled from that same exact decant, and this time I got less smoke and much more pineapple & apple. People say Creeds smell better age, and I think this is an example of that.

    I later bought a full bottle from Fragrancenet, and I noticed differences from my decant. I get pineapple, but also a lot of smokey leather. I'm happy with it, but I realize that there are indeed differences with batch. I never thought I'd consider Aventus a leather frag, but I totally get pineapple & leather from mine.

  35. #35
    dfranz
    Guest

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by dfranz View Post
    I smelled this on a card at Nieman's about a year ago and did NOT get the fuss...it literally smelled like an ash tray to me.

    Yesterday I went into a different Nieman's and spritzed some on my wrist because it still gets so much hoop la...

    ...and today I'm going back to buy a full 4 oz.
    And I am now officially the proud new owner of a bottle of Aventus... I tested it when I got back to my car and it smells AMAZING.

  36. #36

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Of the 900+ fragrances I have worn in the last 3 years - This is my wife's absolute favorite. She never heard of Creed. No idea of Basenotes. No hype. Just one smell that stands out above the hundreds of others. It is one of my favorites too. Unlike my wife, I had to wear it a few times before I fell in love with it. It smelled too much like newspapers to me at first. But I love it now...

    It's not for everyone. No fragrance is. But love it or hate it, you gotta give Creed credit for making something with amazing longevity, well loved, versatile, and unlike anything else ever created before. No fragrance will be liked by everyone. I am very happy about that. If only there were more fragrances being created that made everyone stop and try to copy them.
    I get the newspapers part.

  37. #37

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I get the newspapers part.
    Oh, how funny. A woman once told me it smelled like paper and the comment caught me totally by surprise... but after thinking about it, I understood what she meant. She didn't say newspaper though. Just paper. I never got that from Aventus before she said it... but now, I do. That's not a bad thing though.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  38. #38

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Oh, how funny. A woman once told me it smelled like paper and the comment caught me totally by surprise... but after thinking about it, I understood what she meant. She didn't say newspaper though. Just paper. I never got that from Aventus before she said it... but now, I do. That's not a bad thing though.
    The birch, maybe?

  39. #39
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,242

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Based on my personal experience with Aventus, me liking it is based on two factors: the age of the juice and the batch. I smelled Aventus for the first time from a small decant. It was way too smokey for me and I didn't understand the hype. About 6 months later, I sampled from that same exact decant, and this time I got less smoke and much more pineapple & apple. People say Creeds smell better age, and I think this is an example of that.

    I later bought a full bottle from Fragrancenet, and I noticed differences from my decant. I get pineapple, but also a lot of smokey leather. I'm happy with it, but I realize that there are indeed differences with batch. I never thought I'd consider Aventus a leather frag, but I totally get pineapple & leather from mine.
    I made a vow to myself well over a year ago to not comment about Aventus. I now break that vow.

    I mostly agree with you. Age does Aventus good...it does seem to get better with some time in the bottle. Not sure that batch variations are all that different. I have sampled several batches and they don't have any marked variations to my nose. IMHO age and how well macerated Aventus is, and/or oxidation determines the smell. The bottle I have is now a beautiful beast after a couple of years. When I bought it it was just a purring kitten.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense


    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

  40. #40

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I made a vow to myself well over a year ago to not comment about Aventus. I now break that vow.

    I mostly agree with you. Age does Aventus good...it does seem to get better with some time in the bottle. Not sure that batch variations are all that different. I have sampled several batches and they don't have any marked variations to my nose. IMHO age and how well macerated Aventus is, and/or oxidation determines the smell. The bottle I have is now a beautiful beast after a couple of years. When I bought it it was just a purring kitten.
    You have convinced me to hang onto my bottle and give it some time to strengthen. It just purrs at the moment. I'll wait for the beast.

  41. #41
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,242

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Yeah, I bought mine at a great price from Fragrancenet a couple of years ago, thought it was nice then but gave it mediocre reviews because it did not seem to last. Wore it a couple of days ago and it lasted all day getting complements after 10 hours or more. Seems strange to me, but that has been my experience.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense


    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

  42. #42

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Im really curious to try this one out. Everyone on this forum talks about it as if it was THE cologne to wear, so I ordered a 2.5ml sample yesterday.

    Really hope it lives up to the hype. Maybe if im lucky I can score a 4oz for a deal someday.

  43. #43

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    After getting carried away with all the hype and going through a small decant (felt ho-hum about it) I ended up getting into a 50ml split. Today, I wore the last little bit of my 50ml portion and thinking I'd never repurchase it again (still think it's ho-hum), I got a compliment from a fellow coworker (and I almost never do) - "oh, that's you who smells so nice, are you wearing cologne?" I really don't like Aventus and I was thinking I'd ever repurchase it but I can tell you it does have universal appeal.

  44. #44

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    but I can tell you it does have universal appeal.
    It really does. Not one I wear for myself, I prefer more interesting complex and rich scents for my personal enjoyment. But when i'm going out and I just want to smell awesome for others, Aventus is my go to scent. I know the majority of people who I'm around will be impressed, and sometimes that's a really good thing.
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

  45. #45

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I can tell you it does have universal appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    It really does. Not one I wear for myself, I prefer more interesting complex and rich scents for my personal enjoyment. But when i'm going out and I just want to smell awesome for others, Aventus is my go to scent. I know the majority of people who I'm around will be impressed, and sometimes that's a really good thing.
    I agree. I don't wear it often because, although I enjoy it, I have others that I enjoy much more. I also don't tend to wear it for dates often, because although I get good feedback, I own other scents that I get much better feedback on.

    DHI is so much sexier.
    Hanae Mori HM is so much more playful.
    Interlude Man is so much more daring.
    MI is so much better for a summer day.
    TdH smells so much more important, based on the feedback I've gotten.
    Gucci Pour Homme (2003) is far more manly, again based on the feedback I've gotten.

    I could go on and on. But the thing is, Aventus is a perfectly safe middle of the road scent that, at least for me, is never a bad choice. It has mainstream appeal, and unlike most designer scents, it isn't common among anyone other than the few of us who actually know what niche is.

    The word mainstream gets a bad rap. Hipsterism seems to be everywhere these days as people claim to dislike something as soon as they find out everybody else likes it. That's so childish. In my opinion, Aventus is a mainstream scent that, in terms of its appeal, is perfectly middle of the road. It's a Jack Of All Trades. The Jack Of All Trades is often the master of none, so if you're trying to present yourself in a specific way (sexy? playful? manly? daring? important?), you're probably better off with something else. But if you just want to smell great, Aventus is a great choice. I wore it on a date this week because it was a first date and I didn't know enough about her to make a better guess.

    So long as you don't wear too much of it (and that's true for anything), in my experience, Aventus is never a bad choice. For anyone who is building a wardrobe of scents, I think it's wise to have a scent like that.

    In a sense, it's like a bottle of wine. Some people might prefer whiskey, others might prefer scotch. Some might prefer a martini, others would rather have Guinness, maybe a Porter or, ew, Coors Light (eww!). But if you're entertaining and you want to make a good impression, it's hard to go wrong by offering to open a bottle of wine.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  46. #46
    Basenotes Junkie SirNosebleed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    550

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I have the pineapple batch, and it smells fantastic. Incredible longevity.

  47. #47

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Aventus, Hmmm strange for me, I didn't care for it at first. I got it for $180 for 120ml bottle. After wearing it on 2-seperate occasions it gathered many compliments.

    I liked it the more I wore it. It's good, but its not Jardin d' Amalfi, Royal Oud, Windsor or even Feuilles Vertes. Overall its a great Creed and I'm glad to have 3bottles of it including the perfumed oil. It's a wonderful go-to fragrance.

  48. #48

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I'm not too impressed with it either. My batch smells like patchouli and grilled pineapple

  49. #49

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    The first time I smelled Aventus I thought it was way too smoky and immediately dismissed it, despite the sa's best efforts I walked away from the boutique empty handed. But as I walked around the outdoor mall the smokiness faded into a well developed wonderfully understated scent. After my wife's insistence I bought a 120ml bottle of 2013 Z01 and it is easily one of my favorite scents. Oddly, though, I don't get that heavy ash/smoky note that dominated my olfactory on first whiff, it's presence is much less pronounced.

  50. #50
    byandthrough
    Guest

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by rxavage View Post
    After my wife's insistence I bought a 120ml bottle of 2013 Z01 and it is easily one of my favorite scents. Oddly, though, I don't get that heavy ash/smoky note that dominated my olfactory on first whiff, it's presence is much less pronounced.
    I've had a very similar experience with my bottle of 2013 Z01 Aventus. After smelling the J01 and U01 batches and originally hyped Z01 batch, I've come to love my bottle of the new Z01. It's so well-balanced and it's performance is the best I've experienced in any Aventus batch I've tried. I saved of months, paid full retail for it from the Creed boutique, and I've not once regretted my decision.

  51. #51

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Why were you expecting to be impressed? Because other people say, blah blah blah? The smartest thing you can do in terms of fragrances is learn your own tastes.
    That's why I got a sample, to try it out and see if it matched my tastes.

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Figure out what you like and stay true to that.
    This thread is the manifestation of that goal.

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Plenty of people rave about Green Irish Tweed, but it does nothing for me. People rave about Musc Ravageur. It's not for me. How many millions of bottles of Le Male have been sold? I don't like the stuff.

    Aventus doesn't impress you? No worries. For me, it's a very strong like but not quite a love. And it's nowhere near the top of my list of most complimented scents. It's quite nice, but I have so many others that people seem to enjoy so much more - based on compliments I've received.

    Different strokes for different folks.

    Never forget that hype is just other people's opinions, often blown out of proportion. Only you can be the judge of what you like and how much you like it.
    Yeah I think so as well

  52. #52

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    I tried Aventus today for the very first time. I can see why some people love it, and I do like it - it's a really nice and pleasant scent...but unless someone gave me a bottle, it's one that I probably will never actually own. I was a little more impressed with Royal Oud and Millesime Imperial than I was with Aventus, in all honesty. I dunno....maybe my expectations were simply not realistic, because based off of the hype, I expected a masterpiece but merely got a really nice fragrance instead. The lasting power wasn't that great on me either.

  53. #53
    Basenotes Member CaptainMiguel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southern California (at the beach)
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Aventus is a pretty interesting fragrance and I totally understand why it raises so much discussion. In some ways, it strikes me as being the "delicate and eccentric genius that you need to be understanding and patient with" of men's fragrance and people seem to cut it a lot more slack than they would any other fragrances. I don't know... does anyone else feel this way?

    I wore Aventus last night and enjoyed it but it didn't last very long. No compliments. No panties dropped. My life didn't change. It just smelled good and interesting for a while and went away, like a lot of other fragrances do.

  54. #54

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMiguel View Post
    No compliments. No panties dropped. My life didn't change.
    You have to leave the house after applying for it to take effect.
    Seasonal favorites:

    1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    10. Creed - Royal Oud

  55. #55
    Basenotes Member CaptainMiguel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southern California (at the beach)
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: So I tried Aventus

    Haha man, the sales rep at Neiman Marcus didn't tell me that part.

Similar Threads

  1. Similar to Aventus but better than Aventus !!!
    By Andrè Moreau in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 25th March 2013, 06:46 AM
  2. Plainsight Tries Aventus: Is Aventus Worth The Hype?
    By plainsight in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd September 2012, 04:52 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12th September 2012, 02:42 AM
  4. Noirdrakkar Tries Aventus: Is Aventus Worth The Hype?
    By noirdrakkar in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 30th August 2012, 12:26 PM
  5. Aventus - Looking for used Creed Aventus - lot# C42B*****
    By dogsinatub in forum Fragrances Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st June 2012, 03:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000