Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Why cant I find my signature scent?

Hi everyone,

Newbie to Basenotes. I was wondering if anyone out there might have encounter the same problems I have with fragrances. I started collecting perfumes back in 1985 when I was a teenager but until today, I still cant find my signature scent. I find myself extremely fickle-minded when it comes to perfumes. I love switching fragrances daily depending on mood, feel, weather, etc. I can never ever finish using a bottle of 10ml decant or 30ml perfume. I have bottles and bottles of perfumes which are still sealed from the 80s. Sometimes I wonder if I am normal.

Default Re: Why cant I find my signature scent?

Welcome to you! You are quite normal, believe me!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Perhaps you're just not cut out for a signature scent. Welcome to the club. Try not to see it as a bad thing.

Basenotes Member

Hi Hednic, thank you for the reassurance. I always thought there was something unusual with me when it comes to fragrances, but I can tell you my sisters love me for giving away my perfumes

Basenotes Member

Hi Kagey, You could be right. I just cant find any scent I like enough to wear it all the time or call it mine, and I am grateful that I don't have a signature scent as it gives me the opportunity to keep trying out the scents

Hi and welcome.

Don't stress over it, I have never found a signature going back to the 70s as a tween. I thought I was just weird as even today so many wear just the one fragrance. But its more fun have so much choice and freedom to change your perfumes around.
    DONNA

As you see, a situation common to pretty much all BNers. Why have one signature scent when one can enjoy several?

With all the reformulations going on right now, those sealed bottles from the 80s are a little treasure.

cacio

I personally never got the need and the concept itself of a signature scent. It's like having a signature jacket or a signature pair of shoes?
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Slumberhouse - Ore
    Parfum d'Empire - Cuir Ottoman
    Herms - Equipage (vtg)
    Geo F Trumper - Curzon

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

My sales - WORLDWIDE | Vtg Signoricci 1 & Signoricci 2 - EDT 200 ML BNIB | http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...DT-200-ML-BNIB

Basenotes Member

Hi Donna,

Thank you. I just love all the perfumes out there. I started collecting because of the bottles but then I realised that the smells are simply intoxicating. I do so enjoy wearing different scents.

Basenotes Member

Hello Cacio,

I totally agree with you. I just found out the other day, that the Espirit de Parfum of the bottle of Poison I have goes all the way back to 1985! I was delirious, haha. I had a sudden craving for Lou Lou and about 3 weeks ago, I bought a bottle and my goodness, it smelt nothing like the one I owned in 1987! I must say I definitely prefer the vintage formulation.

Over many years, it's been nice to have a few favourites to return to in their earlier, already loved, versions -- which is an advantage of not sticking to one so closely that it runs out
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Basenotes Member

Hello Colin,

I think I have much more fun experimenting with different perfumes than settling for one. My sister has been using Kenzo Flower for years and it has become her signature scent, but, I am sort of getting tired of smelling it all the time :P

Basenotes Member

Hi Ipp,

What you said is so true, especially when it comes to vintage formulation. I haven't bought a mainstream perfume since 2007 and I was shocked when I revisited some of those I used to own back in the 80s. The newer versions smell nothing like the vintage ones and have appalling sillage. They don't last at all!

Thanks, Ficklemind - a lot of people are of the opinion that they like to 'back up' new loves too - before they are changed as well
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

It will find you.

That's called being bitten by the bug and 99.99% of baseNoter's are infected with this and you are just showing it's syndromeEffects...I have come to collect only those which are in the love category and sold most of the likes , and test drive new ones for a few days to see if they can be a FBW level and most don't obtain it...as this avoids a pile of likes that are collecting dust...i read, listen and take suggestion...only a handful have being true to the hype but nevertheless test test and test then buy....Cheerios
    Last edited by magnus611; 2nd July 2014 at 01:25 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Don't buy into the concept really. I have three or four fragrances that I purchase over and over again. Why limit yourself?

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I may have found a signature fragrance but I still enjoy wearing different ones to fit the occasion or social setting. Enjoy the hobby any way you choose. YOUR hobby, YOUR rules.

Like others have said - you are quite normal (that is is if most of us can be called normal) - I HAD a signature scent back when I didn't have many things and back before I got "into" this. I too have thought a few times "maybe I need to just find 1 or 2 things and stick with them" but, I realize that now I just can't. I love the variety too much and there are always other scents I want. Perhaps a more reasonable goal could be the same one I have - find 5 to 7 things you REALLY love and wear those most often, that's what my mom did and it seemed to serve her well, she ALWAYS smelled good and people complimented her often - she had just a few NICE scents a couple lower end "cheap and cheerfuls" and about 5 nice ones that she rotated for various occasions. Sometimes I think I MIGHT end up there eventually, but I need to try at least 100 or so more things first...

Normal? It's not! But hey, you're on Basenotes now !

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    It will find you.
    This.

To me, signature scent represents the one that we truly love, always repurchase as we cannot imagine being without it and something we never get bored of. It does not mean we can't love or have or wear many others, on the contrary, but this one we love above all others and it, in a way, reflects who we are, this one, to us, works always, in any occasion, in any time of the year. For the record, I still haven't found mine, tough I was close a couple of times, but I'm waiting for it to find me. I see no point in forcing ourselves to find it, it will come, but in the meantime, there are so many to explore and enjoy.

Edit: I can't imagine wearing one single fragrance all the time. I find people that wear the same scent for years are missing a lot or are not true fragrance lovers.
    Last edited by Vernona; 2nd July 2014 at 04:04 PM.

Basenotes Member

Thank you everyone, for sharing your thoughts with me. I am really enjoying trying out new scents now. I went out today and tried a couple of scents, none of them piqued my interest at all. I was hoping to try Midnight Poison, but none of the shops and chemists that I went to had any. This is the only poison which I didn't have a chance to try. I checked out ebay, but the prices are quite steep and I don't really want to spend over 150 bucks for something which I haven't even smelled. I tested La Fille de Berlin by Serge Lutens and it reminds me of a fragrance I bought a decant from the Perfumed Court a couple of years ago. I cant recall the name now, but it was supposed to be a really dear one which didn't last on me and I gave away. But, LFDB appears to have more depth and character and it lasted about 5 hours on my wrist. I am now torn between this and Tubereuse Criminelle Any advice?

The last thing I want is too find my signature scent. I hope I never find it. Much prefer the endless search.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Basenotes Member

I only started collecting a couple months ago and I have been going for a signature "theme" more than one particular scent.
    For whatever reason I decided I wanted to smell earthy, woody, incensy, rather than cologney. I enjoy sporty/aquatic scents but decided I wanted to stand out and it seems to be working as a co-worker told me that I smell unique and masculine. The good thing is there are sooo many fragrances like this that I still want to try.

Basenotes Member

Greetings Adam and Jonny Panic,

I am enjoying sampling the fragrances as well. Problem with me is I like all sorts and very often, what smells nice on friends or passers by do not smell nice on me. I know I don't like orange flower scents. They tend to give me headaches. I am fine with woods, incense and those strong scents. I have recently bought Fracas and I find it much more wearable than Carnal Flower. Une Rose by FM turns sourish on me after 2 hours. Looking forward to sampling all sorts of fragrances in the future

Came here to post something along these lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    I personally never got the need and the concept itself of a signature scent. It's like having a signature jacket or a signature pair of shoes?
    You've come to the wrong place if you're looking for help settling on a signature scent, but you've come to an excellent place to maintain or even ramp up your current habit. I'm sure you'll be receiving some PMs soon about what vintage scents you no longer use and want to get rid of.

Welcome to Basenotes, here you are normal But don't get too worked up about it. Many people have their hobbies and collections, your just happens to be scent rather than whatever it is "normal" people waste their disposable income on.
    Just say no to oniomania.

Basenotes Member

Hi Darjeeling,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I believe I am much happier now without a signature scent as I can continue looking for scents that I like without feeling guilty, hahaha.

Hello ficklemind and welcome. In the Serge Lutens Amber Sultan and Musc Koublai Khan. Good luck in your search and feel free to pm me for any advice. There are ways to get free samplrs and i would be glad to discuss off line.
    John aka Easykiller

Basenotes Member

Hi Easykiller,

Thank you for your kind offer. My son who is only 6 is into cars and one of his favourites is the Ferrari 458 Italia. He was out with me trying out the scent and he saw the Ferrari fragrance and so insisted on sampling it. The SA was greatly amused by him.