Code of Conduct

Default recommendations for safe, "clean" male fragrance

I'm partial to gourmand/sweet notes, as well as strong ouds and woods. However, there are times when I feel like something "clean" would preferable.

I don't yet have a go-to for a general use frag that's easy to like and appropriate for all environments. Something to wear when I don't know what I want to wear, or when I know I'll be sweating.

Any recommendations for options that are versatile and accessible but also interesting? Perhaps something floral? A lot of the common department store scents that I've tried have struck me as rather boring or generic.

The only samples I have that I would call "clean" are CDG Odeur 53 (a bit too weird for me) and Villoresi Piper Nigrum (mint and pepper). I'm open to pretty much anything, but unfortunately I don't have access to a lot of niche offerings in my area.

Default Re: recommendations for safe, "clean" male fragrance

Welcome!

For fresh, I like a lot vetivers. They smell fresh, slightly green, natural, and last quite well. Several good examples,both in niche and in mainstream. Favorites include Malle Vetiver extraordinaire (the freshest and zingiest) and Chanel Sycomore (more elegant, with a touch of wood). Both would be appropriate both for casual and for more formal environment, especially the Chanel. In mainstream, a good vetiver would be Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

For florals, I like a lot Metal by Paco Rabanne (fresh green floral), but it has sadly been discontinued.

cacio

Thanks for the input! I'm not sure why, but I'm not all that fond of vetiver from what I've sampled thus far. I just sniffed my sample of Annick Goutal Vetiver, and while I appreciate it, there's just something about it that's not for me. I did try Grey Vetiver and it was one of the better ones.

The idea of "green" makes me think of grass and pine. I haven't encountered anything like that yet, but I think I would enjoy it. A few months ago, a small lot that I pass on my walk to work was covered with what I assumed was christmas tree mulch, and it smelled lovely.
    Last edited by xiang; 3rd July 2014 at 05:05 AM.

Mugler cologne-Smells like you just hopped out the shower.. it pretty much defines clean. Carolina 212 men-Its a green fresh cut grassy smell with citrus, spices & woods. And try burberry london if you want the pine/christmas tree smell.
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 3rd July 2014 at 06:05 AM.

The Goutal vetiver has something leathery and salty in it. The TF is a more straightforward vetiver. Still, perhaps you just don't like the note.

For pine, there's the old, cheap Italian classic called Pino silvestre. Or you can look into the perfumes with cypress, which has a similar scent profile. One example is Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma.

cacio

I like Rive Gauche for clean and safe, you should be able to acquire a sample quite easily.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Another for Mugler Cologne
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Depending on the 'clean vibe you want, Amazingreen is a green/wet/sweetish fragrance that you should be able to find. Eau d' Issey is also a clean scent but in a different way, also easy to find anywhere.

Trefle Pur from Atelier is a green/(very light)floral with clover flower and leaf (per the description).

thanks,
    rick

Prada Amber, Grey Vetiver.

+2 for Mugler Cologne.

Seconding especially Rive Gauche and Mugler Cologne. L'Eau d'Issey, The Body Shop White Musk, Cartier Roadster, Gucci PH II and ADG Essenza may also be worth including on a possible test list.

Byredo Blanche is a clean, white flowery fragrance just perfect for those days you don't want to wear your rich, gourmand, sweet, strong fragrances.

bvlgari man extreme..

GV by TF
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    +2 for Mugler Cologne.
    +3 Mugler cologne. Also Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (class incarnate).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Seconding especially Rive Gauche and Mugler Cologne.
    I agree 100%

Guerlain Vetiver
    John aka Easykiller

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm surprised I had never tried Mugler Cologne before, but I was able to try it at a mall yesterday. I liked it; greener than the handful of others I tried, and mostly free of that vaguely synthetic vibe that I sometimes get from this sort of frag.

I ordered a sample of Rive Gauche some time ago, not realizing there's a pour homme, so I got the original. I haven't seen the PH version at a retail shop around here, but I'll keep an eye out.

Definitely check out Mont Blanc Legend, Dior Homme Sport 2012

Give Tommy Girl a try. Ignore the "girl" part - once you get past the fruity/floral opening blast (which is pretty darn nice on its own), it's just a clean, slightly sweetish, slightly floral tea scent. Great in warm weather. Light but persistent. I think this would hit quite a few of your criteria. And it's cheap!

Basenotes Member

I'm completely new, so take this with a grain of salt, but I just recently went through looking for something clean scents and I tried a few that aren't posted up here yet I think:

Junky, Gendarme, L'Eau D'Issey, and Hanae Mori HiM EdP were a few that I tried.

Gendarme, Mugler Cologne, Rive Gauche.

Using Tapatalk

Gendarme.

Basenotes Plus

When I think of "clean" scents, I think of safe scents.

Dior homme & dior homme sport

Chanel Allure & Allure Homme Sport

Bleu De Chanel

Possibly even YSL L'homme.

All very easy to wear and suit pretty much any type of situation. They're also sold pretty much everywhere.

I'd say you can't go wrong with mugler cologne . Always ready to Go wherever whenever
    My current obsessions for now
    Oud Wood , Noir de Noir , DHI , Mugler Cologne , Bond No.9 Bleeker St. ,
    Ramone Monegal Agar Musk & Umbra , Chanel Coromondel ,

Blog Entries

+1 for Mugler cologne as well as Allure Homme Edition Blanche.

Another for Mugler cologne one of my top 5 all time.

I will also recommend Nautica Oceans. I bought it in TJMaxx for $10 1.7oz. Amazingly great scent lasts 8+ hrs on my skin easily with moderate projection. Smells like a ocean blue sea breeze. Gonna buy another bottle this is my summer go to.

All great suggestions, so far. I don't know if you can check these out in your area but I'll throw Tom Ford - Neroli Portifino and Guerlain Homme Intense in the mix.

When I want clean, I go with Mugler

Gendarme is nice too, but I find Mugler "cleaner"

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations! It looks like Mugler Cologne is a crowd favorite, and it worked pretty well for me. I'll make a point to try the others that have been posted the next time I go to one of the larger malls next week.

If you live in a warm climate or a climate with hot summers, definitely check out the Acqua di Parma line.

Though I love the original Colonia, some men do not care for the powdery rose note that is prevalent in this composition. If you are one of those men, do check out the flankers. Intensa and Essenza are fantastic colognes for the heat, in my opinion. Essenza is the epitome of a conservative and clean masculine cologne, having a pleasant soapy note. Intensa is a bit spicy/leathery, but still comes across as clean, and perhaps a bit assertive (in a good way).

Aren't those EdC? I was actually thinking about the weather, as I'm about to move to Brazil. Is it normal to just wear a lighter frag that needs more frequent reapplication when the weather is hot? I usually go for strength and longevity, but I was in Mexico recently and the heat and sweat took the scent off pretty fast.

You're quite right Xiang, however EdC does not necessarily mean that it will not last as long as more concentrated fragrances. Depending on the weather and the oils in the EdC, some EdCs can actually last longer. In other words, concentration does not necessarily have an immediate bearing on longevity.

Rather than me reposting this directly, check out my recent review of Acqua di Parma's Fico di Amalfi on Fragrantica (http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/A...alfi-1687.html). In it I explain my experience with heat and its effect on the Acqua di Parma line.

Personally, I find traditional EdC's such as Aqua di Parma (this line just happens to be my favorite) to be the most refreshing type of fragrance in very hot weather, especially if you are looking for something safe and clean in the gentlemanly fashion. It seems that when someone who is wearing Acqua di Parma begins sweating, the light concentration of oils melds with the sweat, producing a very pleasant and clean smell.

Of course your experience may vary, and I'm not trying to advertise a particular brand or anything, however you should still give AdP a try (I'd recommend the Colonia, Colonia Essenza, and Colonia Intensa). From your description, it seems like it might be exactly what you are looking for.