Code of Conduct

Smile Looking for new (to me not necessarily "new") oriental woodsy ambery spicy women's fragrances

Some of the fragrances I have liked in the past have been:

Original DK in the odd black bottle

Coco

Fendi

Lolita Lempicka

I like Opium but it is too much even for me. I feel like the room might be overwhelmed even though I like it very much.

On the lower end of the spectrum price wise I used to use Krizia. Just looking for suggestions for some things I may not have tried even though I am a fragrance junkie. My only request is no vanilla please. I end up smelling like cookie dough. Thanks!!

I have issues with the generic floral and green fragrances since they all seem to last not more than 30 minutes on me, though I like many of them they are just money down the drain.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for new (to me not necessarily "new") oriental woodsy ambery spicy women's fragrances

You might like Samsara. Chanel Bois des Iles is lovely with its gingerbread note.

Default Re: Looking for new (to me not necessarily "new") oriental woodsy ambery spicy women's fragrances

I'm not a huge fan of amber scents, but I adore Parfum D'Empire Ambre Russe, which is finally available for purchase again after a brief period of scarcity. More unisex than feminine, but worth a sniff. It's the first scent that I knew I had to own the moment I smelled it.

Thanks. I have had Samsara. I think I threw it away or gave it away. Too sweet for me. It does have vanilla in the base, and vanilla perfumes do not smell good on me. The Chanel Bois des lles I will try out at Macy's. That is one I have not even sniffed.

Have you tried Comme des Garcons Comme des Garcons? Cinnamon, incense, spice, no vanilla.
    Teo Cabanel's Alahine--woody, ambery, floral. There is vanilla listed in the notes but it's buried.
    Arabian Oud Kalemat is amber, honey, woods, some flowers. No vanilla.
    Profumum Roma Fiori d'Ambra--amber and spices, no vanilla.
    And yes, Bois des Iles!

Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germaine
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Thank you very much! These are all brand new names to me. Do you happen to know retail stores that would carry them so I can try them out or some way to get samples? These all sound very promising. I wish DK would bring back her original fragrance in the strange bottle. That was my favorite perfume ever.

Unfortunately, some of the more "niche" lines can be hard to find locally, even in big cities. You can find CDG and Diptyque at certain boutiques, though the less common ones like Parfum D'Empire are best purchased online unless you live in NY or LA. For samples, Surrender to Chance is hard to beat for selection. I admit it's kind of a bummer to pay 3-5$ for a tiny sample of frags you could technically try for free at the right shop, but it's the most convenient way to try a wide range of some of the fancier offerings out there. If you sign up for their mailing list, they occasionally run a 15-20% discount. They're doing one right now for the 4th of July.

Thank you. I did not know about about Surrender to Chance. I'm pretty new here. Do you know any Hermes perfumes that would be in the woodsy spicy amber category. Someone told me one but I don't remember the name. That is an old line but I have not paid attention to it for years so I am not familiar with what their scents are now.

I am in Chicago in case you or anyone else knows where the boutiques are. Honestly for the standard Chanel, Burberry etc, I've just been buying online. Most of those I know how they smell and if I like them.

Ambre Narguile is a sweet amber from Hermes...I tend to get samples from Luckyscent or Surrender to Chance since I live far away from niche or specialty boutiques. Some of the other perfume blogs also have swaps so you can try things you haven't sniffed in exchange for sending small amounts of fragrances you have. There are also perfume splits here on Basenotes, so you can buy 10 or 20 ml of an expensive fragrance if you don't want or can't afford a bigger bottle. Oh, and welcome!

I'll try all of those suggestions. I love amber, frankincense, tonka bean. oak moss, cedar.. yet I want a very feminine perfume. I don't want a unisex fragrance. I've had many but not all of the Nordstrom/Macy brands and even the ones I liked, I did not love. I want something now that I love. Hard to find at least so far. The floral scents I like are tuberose, magnolia, lily, hyacinth, and gardenia. I also like ginger and plum and pink pepper in the fruit/or other category.

As a background, the perfumeshrine blog has a nice classification of oriental perfumes
    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...beginners.html

What you're looking for is what the description calls "mellis accord", or spicy orientals. As indicated there, the grandmother is Tabu, which can be still found for very cheap at drugstore and it's still ok, though vintage is vastly better (and can still be had for little on ebay). Then came Estee Lauder Youth Dew, still great, and still easily available at Macy's and the like for little.

As for where to smell niche/higher end lines in Chicago, the big perfume stores are concentrated on North Michigan-Oak street. Chanel Bois des isles cited above is found only in the Chanel boutique at the north end of Michigan ave. Many niche are found at Barney's on Oak street, including Diptyque, as well as others like Lutens and Malle. The Hermes store is on Oak next to Barneys. Of course, niche can be very expensive, these things go for $150 and up, way up sometimes. But some are worth smelling. Lutens in particular gravitates around the oriental-woody arena, so it's worth smelling given your tastes. Examples in line with your description could include Ambre sultan and Santal majuscule.

As for long lasting floral and green, have you ever tried the (not so expensive) Estee Lauder Private Collection? (At Macy's and the like). If that doesn't last, I'm not sure what will...

cacio

Wow thanks for the blog! Very interesting. I think I like some of each though, but you're right lean toward the floral veering into woodsy spicy dry downs. I found all of the perfumes the blog and you mention a memory. My grandmother and mother both used Tabu so I know it quite well. I used to just love Shalimar and still do but you know sometimes you just move on from something. As I stated my favorite ever was DK original in the strange black bottle. Now if she would just bring it back, all would be well in my world. She made Cashmere and broke my heart. The Be Delicious etc.. is just never gonna do it for me. I have not used that fragrance by EL, but used to LOVE both White Linen and Chanel 19. I still love them both but neither stay on me more than 30 minutes. I find both very unique fragrances and quite beautiful for the green group which I call the grass perfume. Another one I like was the original D&K. Light blue however is one of my .. 30 second or less staying power. I know many of the traditional perfume houses but not so much the more current offerings. And some like Hermes I am just aware of but have never tried or sampled much of what they have. Thanks for your post. I just smiled when I saw Tabu, Shalimar and Youth Dew. My friend still loves Youth Dew. I just love fragrance since I was a little girl. I started bugging my mom to get me perfume (and NOT the Cinderella kinda since I was 6. I stole hers until she gave into the pressure. :-)

I will definitely try. If DK only knew the headaches she has given me since she dumped her original perfume. I've been looking for something I really love since then and nothing measures up.

Blog Entries

Finding something to love can be tricky. It can take a long time. Better hunker down and prepare to try quite a few samples. One you may like is Serge Lutens- Feminité du Bois.

Last edited by kumquat; 4th July 2014 at 01:59 PM.

Is this one found in boutique stores ?

Ha yep... long time but I am dedicated and long suffering. :-)

Meantime there are loads of ho hum perfumes to drown my sorrows in.

Where do you find this perfume ?

Blog Entries

It's been a while since I bought a bottle. Serge Lutens are best tried by samples from places like The Perfumed Court. The Posh Peasant also has lots of samples. Feminité du Bois is weird because it is from an earlier version of his studio called Sheisedo ​or something. Anyway, I think if you like it you can get a bottle on the Internet. Someone else may know- someone who's bought some recently?

Blog Entries

Last edited by kumquat; 4th July 2014 at 04:36 PM.

Blog Entries

http://www.basenotes.net/ID10213071.html
    Serge Lutens - Feminité du Bois
    Shiseido is the spelling I couldn't remember.

Blog Entries

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/377...ely?highlight=

Chinatown by Bond no.9 ​is one to try.

Would also like to add Dior Hypnotic Poison and the Opium flankers Eau d'Orient and Poesie de Chine.

Check out Barney's and Diptyque in town; test in store and make a purchase online to avoid Crook County sales tax lol.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Try something nobody else will be wearing, the beautiful Ambre Dore from Maitre Perfumeur et Gantier and I second Feminite du Bois. Kumquat makes wonderful suggestions

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bal a Versailles View Post
    Try something nobody else will be wearing, the beautiful Ambre Dore from Maitre Perfumeur et Gantier and I second Feminite du Bois. Kumquat makes wonderful suggestions

Mitzah

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SMF0913 View Post
    Where do you find this perfume ?
    I gather from reading reviews that the new bottle is as good as it ever was. One place you can get it is at LuckyScent.

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/36...y-serge-lutens

From your description I think you might like Chergui from Serge Lutens and maybe also Ambre sultan from the same house.

Blog Entries

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/33...ea-by-profumum

Expensive but so worth it. Maybe you could get a decant. ​Ambra Aurea- Profumum

My blog entry:
    http://www.basenotes.net/entries/110...-April-29-2014

I missed this post earlier, but this is my favorite type of fragrance by far, some of my favorites are:

Caron Parfum Sacre
    Givenchy Organza Indecence
    Estee Lauder Sensuous
    Donna Karan Chaos or Long Lost Perfumes Anarchy
    Mauboussin Histoire d'Eau
    Caron Yatagan
    Calvin Klein Obsession
    Dragonfly Blue Amber (e-tailer)

Quote Originally Posted by SMF0913 View Post
    Thank you. I did not know about about Surrender to Chance. I'm pretty new here. Do you know any Hermes perfumes that would be in the woodsy spicy amber category. Someone told me one but I don't remember the name. That is an old line but I have not paid attention to it for years so I am not familiar with what their scents are now.
    It could be Rouge Hermes, which is woodsy/spicy/ambery. It's lovely. I'm a big fan of the oriental category and that is firmly on my to-buy list.

I would hazard a guess that Elixir Eau de Merveilles might be the Hermes or the original. This seems to be, with Terre D' Hermes for a man, the blockbuster Hermes in recent years

Quote Originally Posted by Bal a Versailles View Post
    I would hazard a guess that Elixir Eau de Merveilles might be the Hermes or the original. This seems to be, with Terre D' Hermes for a man, the blockbuster Hermes in recent years
    Bal a Versailles, you are right that the Eau des Merveilles line has had much more exposure than Rouge. I think they are both worth trying out... and in the Eau des Merveilles line, I think the Parfum des Merveilles is particularly nice, and has a more pronounced amber note.

Feminite du bois

Excellent recommendations above. I think Serge Lutens perfumes are definitely worth sampling for you. Fumerie Turque might also be up your alley.

Also Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur.

I love Bond's NY Amber. I was in the mall and came across Estée Lauder's Wood Mystique. It smells very similar to NY Amber. I suggested Wood Mystique to my cousin because she loved my NY Amber. She didn't want to spend that much on NY Amber. She wore it when we went out last weekend and OMG!!!!! It smelled sooooooooo good on her. I inhaled her all night lol. Now I want it too even though I have NY Amber lol.

Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

fleur-rouge scent has a nice fragrance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rose22 View Post
    fleur-rouge scent has a nice fragrance

Who is that made by, rose22?
    Could you describe it please?
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php