Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens - Jeux de Peau or Santal Majuscule?

Any ladies have an opinion on these two frags? I understand they have some similarities.

I have a small vial of Jeux de Peau which I think is lovely, and I tried Santal Majuscule on my skin and recall liking it very much.

Which would you rather wear? I'm probably going to buy one or the other soon, and I'd like to get one that I can share with my lady friends. Delectable creamy gourmand, or chocolaty sandalwood with a hint of rose? Unfortunately, the line isn't sold locally, so I only have the former as a reference.

Any others in the export line that you'd like to smell on yourself as well as on guys?

Default Re: Serge Lutens - Jeux de Peau or Santal Majuscule?

I'm not a lady, but I do have an opinion on the two.

I agree that there are similarities in the overall structure, and when I smelled SM I felt it was sort of a simplified JdP. I like both, but I'd go for JdP, because it's more striking and vivid. A realistic buttered toast top, then immortelle in all its gourmand aspects. And I like immortelle a lot. If one goes for Lutens, one has to embrace the richness. SM is smoother, less over the top. Good too, and perhaps safer, but perhaps somewhat less fun.

So many other Lutens worth wearing. If you ask around, you're probably going to get the whole line - everybody has his or her own favorite. I'll toss off one: Arabie, bitter herbs, liquor, and fruits.

cacio

I have not sampled Jeux de Peau yet but I did try Santal Majuscule and it's a great. I also own Un Bois Vanille from the same house which is probably the best vanilla I have tried until this day. On my to-buy-list Cèdre has a spot at the very top.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I'm not a lady, but I do have an opinion on the two.

I agree that there are similarities in the overall structure, and when I smelled SM I felt it was sort of a simplified JdP. I like both, but I'd go for JdP, because it's more striking and vivid. A realistic buttered toast top, then immortelle in all its gourmand aspects. And I like immortelle a lot. If one goes for Lutens, one has to embrace the richness. SM is smoother, less over the top. Good too, and perhaps safer, but perhaps somewhat less fun.

So many other Lutens worth wearing. If you ask around, you're probably going to get the whole line - everybody has his or her own favorite. I'll toss off one: Arabie, bitter herbs, liquor, and fruits.

cacio
    +1 on the whole quote.

I think there was a poll in which Cherguii was declared the favourite SLutens by Basenotes contributors at the time. I like Jeux de Peau and Gingembre. Ambre Sultan is too similar to my Ambre Dore (MPG) Actually, if just starting out into Lutens, Gingembre it would be my first purchase. Myrrh Ardente by Annick Goutal is stunning and at a very good price at the site with a fruit in it.

I don't like Jeux de Peau at all, something in it (maybe the buttery part) makes me feel ill. I much prefer Santal Majuscule.

I decided against both, I think its the sandalwood used which makes them so similar.

I decided on Santal Blanc instead, if you hunt I believe bottles still around.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

JdP
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Santal Majuscule was much more palatable for me. I couldn't shake how much JdP resembled Nutella.

Basenotes Plus

I have not tried JdP, but I got a 5ml sample of Santal Majuscule and I'm glad I didn't blind buy a full bottle (and I was thiiiiiiiis close!). It's not that it's bad, it is actually quite lovely (would be more so on a girl) - but it's not what I was personally expecting. I was hoping for stronger sandalwood - seeing as this has "Santal" right in the name - while SM is laced with heavy rose and cacao throughout, and those two overpower the sandalwood and make it barely detectable. Quite disappointed. Giving up on Serge Lutens sandalwoods altogether.

Thanks for the input. I really wish I had a sample of Santal Majuscule here to compare, but I'm leaning toward JdP (and it's a wee bit cheaper)

I fear I may end up with some slightly redundant juice, given my love for all scents gourmand... the creamy character of JdP is perhaps somewhat present in Bond's I <3 NY for All, though the latter is heavily spiced and brings to mind the Kheer of South Asia with the cardamom note, while JdP is a vaguely woody buttered pastry.

It makes me wonder how they managed to capture that in a bottle. Surely not everyone wants to smell like a patisserie, but I suppose I'm one of them

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by xiang View Post
    Thanks for the input. I really wish I had a sample of Santal Majuscule here to compare
    If you can hold off a few days, I can send you a sample of Santal Majuscule along with your Cuir Ottoman split.

I am familiar with both although I don't wear either. If I have to choose between the two, my personal preference would be for Jeux de Peau. It is spicy, has enough depth, and is somehow better thought-out to my nose. Does it really smell like freshly baked and buttered bread? Of course not.

It is true there are some similarities between them, but Santal Majuscule takes the basic structure from JdP, and then adds a few sweet ingredients, which makes it confusing and, in a way, incongruous. I love roses, but I didn't like the sweet, even heavy rose in SM. In the end, test both on skin and see how they develop. You might be luckier than I am.

Jeux de Peau really is positively charming. I confess I have excellent taste.

JdP

Basenotes Plus

JdP is my #1 comfort scent.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Yes JdP is just amazing!