Code of Conduct

Default Mitsouko: She IS different with each wearing...

I first tried Lady M in 2007-2008. Maybe it was an inferior formulation and/or perhaps I just wasn't ready...we did not meld. Jump to Sept 2013, Spain, I'm in Valencia, and I see the new 2013 release (Thierry's) in the high-end department store, and something tells me to buy the EDT (start slow). One very small spray...its ok!..A bit starchy, but I can't wait to dig into this. At that time, however, I'm with a group of people, and unsure of the impact of this iconic fragrance. So, I wear Jo Malone's Orange Blossom instead (oh so beautiful!). When I return to the US, I set Mitsouko into the fragrance cabinet for future wearings. What am I afraid of? That it will smell as putrid as it did in 2007-2008??? That I'll smell like that woman in the office that reeked of heavy, musty perfume? Yes!! That's exactly what I fear!! So. I try a tiny spray in Jan 2014... Bready, doughy...hmmmm...I expected more. Jump to June 2014. Moss. I LOVE the smell of moss! Then in another wearing, I get moss and roses...!!!!! I'm in love. Another time, it's the smell of rain.

What about you?
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Default Re: Mitsouko: She IS different with each wearing...

Oh, and I'm hoping to smell the peach note someday .
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Peachy was my cologne from the 50s, purplebird reviewed it in the Directory.

Mitsouko has always smelt great on me, but my bottles are older edt and parfum. I know many find it very hard to wear. I do get the peach not the awful synthetic version you get from many bath and body products. A little mossy perhaps, but Mitsouko for me has always been a warm sunny fragrance.

Another thing is the famous alcohol used. In the US they use a different alcohol based on grain in Europe etc its potato based. Many swear it makes the fragrance different.
    DONNA

Potato based alcohol...that's interesting. Perhaps that adds to the starchy, bready note I get in the EDT. Well, now that I'm loving the EDT, I'll try the EDP to see if I can detect peach.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Another thing is the famous alcohol used. In the US they use a different alcohol based on grain in Europe etc its potato based. Many swear it makes the fragrance different.
    I'm pretty sure that all Guerlain fragrances are blended in France.

The Chanels are different it seems, so whether the concentrate like Coke is sent and the US adds its own alcohol no idea. But it has been commented on many times that Chanel in the US is sweeter.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pomander View Post
    Potato based alcohol...that's interesting. Perhaps that adds to the starchy, bready note I get in the EDT. Well, now that I'm loving the EDT, I'll try the EDP to see if I can detect peach.
    I don't think we use potatoes any more, mostly beets/sugar cane but could be way off here.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Blog Entries

You would love the parfum, I'm guessing. Especially if you like moss. I have an EDT from a couple of years ago. I have never NOT smelled peach. The new version must be odd.

Basenotes Plus

It is very odd indeed, kumquat.
    I bought a sample and then was so doubtful that I tried some in a store and I'm not entirely certain how it can actually retain the name.

Blog Entries

I got my EDT remaindered from TJMax. It must have been right before re formulation. What a shame. I must have gotten my parfum on Ebay. I just checked and it's evaporating badly! Eek! I have a tiny mini parfum back up. And a larger EDP, whew!

I wonder what the parfum from Paris is like these days. Does anyone know? Anyone?
    Last edited by kumquat; 8th July 2014 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I wonder what the parfum from Paris is like these days. Does anyone know? Anyone?
    It's very good - as is the newest version of EdT. Rich and mossy, not quite as radiant and golden as vintage, but probably as close as we're going to get these days. And there's nothing odd about it at all

By the way, as I said above I'm sure there's no difference between Mitsouko parfum in Paris and Mitsouko parfum anywhere else, though you have to get the right batch code (anything beginning with a 3 or 4).
    Last edited by saminlondon; 8th July 2014 at 09:38 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I guess mine wasn't the latest then, saminlondon.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I guess mine wasn't the latest then, saminlondon.
    You do have to check those testers scrupulously! Even in the Guerlain boutiques it's not rare to come across bottles that are three or four years old - and have presumably been on display all that time.

Cannot speak for Mitsuko, but at the risk of drifting a bit off-topic, noticed a quite similar phenomenon with most, if not all Guerlain fragrances I have used and/or tried (however, mainly speaking about male and unisex scents). I guess that this fragrance house is one of the few comparatively readily available nowadays that reward the wearer and the nose over time, adding almost each times new layers after layers of complexity after almost each distinctive wearing.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    You do have to check those testers scrupulously! Even in the Guerlain boutiques it's not rare to come across bottles that are three or four years old - and have presumably been on display all that time.
    Thanks for the info, saminlondon - I'll subscribe to this thread & write down the info. before trying again

I'm in on a split of 2014 extrait, which is due this summer. I also have a flacon of 2010 or 2011 extrait to compare. The new EdT is very nice - dry and restraint but ultimately not rewarding enough (very subdued) even if splashed generously on my upper body. The EdP and I do not always get along too well. Sometimes it is too loud and screechy for my taste. If I recall correctly from Monsieur Guerlain, it is the EdP's reformulation (solely) that Thierry Wasser was rewarded for.

Basenotes Member

I have the parfum from late 80s and it smells absolutely gorgeous, denser and mossier. I tried the edp in the late 90s and it smelled much lighter and fresher. I definitely prefer the older versions. Sorry but my vocabulary words describing perfume are limited.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    I wondered about that, too. All those hot shop lights!