Code of Conduct

Default How Do You Open Sample Vials?

Is there a correct way to open those small sample vials (e.g. from Luckyscents.com)?

I've just inadvertently applied some Santal Noble over my Knize Ten like a complete and utter noob.

Default Re: How Do You Open Sample Vials?

No particular secret. One just has to be very careful. Hold the vial firmly in one hand and remove the cap, going back and forth or whatever. Some people then like to pour the vial into a small atomizer, since they prefer to spray.

cacio

I usually hold the vial firmly towards the top with one hand & gently rock the top/cap back & forth until it starts to come off then go in a circular motion until it comes off. Less chance of spilling or losing any juice.. especially if its the tops that hold a little juice like the creed samples. And idk about you but i hate dabbing! Every time you go to sephora or nordstrom ask for a few of those little sample atomizers. Or you can use a pair of pliers & pull the top off one you used already & rinse it out & clean it with a q-tip.
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 4th July 2014 at 06:29 AM.

I have a perfume sample sabre, similar to a champagne sabre really.

It's the classy way to go.
    Just say no to oniomania.

I've found that using needle-nose pliers is a good idea, so that you can slowly work the cap off.

Always ask someone else to do it

@ darjeeling

LOL!!!

show us a video of you doing this with the sample vial, looking forward to that !

I always follow the same routine:

first - I get annoyed as I hate these vials
    second - I grip tight and have an immediate fear that the vial will smash in my hands
    third - I pull the plastic top off
    fourth - I spill the scent all over
    fifth - see first point

Using a katana.

Never really thought about there being a special technique to doing it.
    Last edited by hednic; 4th July 2014 at 01:55 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    I usually hold the vial firmly towards the top with one hand & gently rock the top/cap back & forth until it starts to come off then go in a circular motion until it comes off. Less chance of spilling or losing any juice.. especially if its the tops that hold a little juice like the creed samples. And idk about you but i hate dabbing! Every time you go to sephora or nordstrom ask for a few of those little sample atomizers. Or you can use a pair of pliers & pull the top off one you used already & rinse it out & clean it with a q-tip.
    +1.

Wiggle. And use your thumbnail in the join in if you need to get a start.

Firmly hold the vial and rock the top back and forth while pulling off.

There's often a glob of fluid stuck within the cap because of surface tension, so start by holding the vial upright with your fingers at the bottom and flick the cap sharply a couple of times with a fingernail. That will help to chase all the liquid into the vial.

Then put a piece of tissue paper over the cap and wiggle-remove it as others have described. This may still release a bit of liquid that was trapped between the cap and the sides of the vial, but at least it won't leak all over your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Always ask someone else to do it
    Hilarious.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Verry carefully?

Aha, so my enmity toward the sample vials is more or less universal...

Some good tips posted, though (imho) they don't really add up to a "method"... What we need is a method. A method which would enable even a comparative clutz to apply frags from tiny, troublesome sample vials with the quiet confidence of a veteran perfumisto.

Anybody up to the challenge?

"Every time you go to sephora or nordstrom ask for a few of those little sample atomizers."

Handy little tip! Filing that away for future reference ;D Thanks Mitchapalooza (but question: wouldn't you use the scent up faster with a spray top?)
    Last edited by Schen Doku; 7th July 2014 at 01:53 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Carefully. I just had my very first accident while opening one a week ago (Andrea Maack Coven), and I dropped it and lost about 70% of it.

Yeah, only buy spray vials

Quote Originally Posted by Schen Doku View Post
    Aha, so my enmity toward the sample vials is more or less universal...

Some good tips posted, though (imho) they don't really add up to a "method"... What we need is a method. A method which would enable even a comparative clutz to apply frags from tiny, troublesome sample vials with the quiet confidence of a veteran perfumisto.

Anybody up to the challenge?

"Every time you go to sephora or nordstrom ask for a few of those little sample atomizers."

Handy little tip! Filing that away for future reference ;D Thanks Mitchapalooza (but question: wouldn't you use the scent up faster with a spray top?)
    You're welcome Schen doku :-) And not really.. it just seems that way since it comes out in a big mist.. but really its about the same amount you would use dabbing. Also you get a better feel for the frag when sprayed since it gets spread out evenly & dries evenly.

Also if you have fragrances that don't last so long you can fill the little atomizers with your sotd & carry it in your pocket to re apply if needed. And next time you go somewhere they decant samples like a tom ford private blend counter ask if they have a spare pipette you can have. Those things are super handy.

The dab on sort of samples quite often defeat me with my one and a bit working arms. They take two strong hands to open them without jettisoning the contents everywhere apart from where it's meant to be.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

"...if you have fragrances that don't last so long you can fill the little atomizers with your sotd & carry it in your pocket to re apply if needed."

Solid tip! Pour Un Homme by Caron comes to mind... My question is, can I wash an atomizer once it has been so-used?

Btw, those pipettes are also available in quantity from seattle_4 on eBay.

sfmedusa: Sorry to hear! Are the motor skills on your less-skilled side good enough to work with a pair of pliers? I've been working on a new way of dealing with these sample vials...for those who haven't yet made the conscious decision to switch to 3ml atomizers.
    Last edited by Schen Doku; 11th July 2014 at 01:15 AM.

Flicking the top is good.

Then I firmly grasp the glass in my left hand. With my right hand, I rotate the cap in one motion toward the floor, as though I am trying to break it off. I gradually increase the force until it budges. Then I modulate the force. I never change direction, until the cap is completely free of its seal to the glass.

Finger tips....if that don't work then a pair of pliers or maybe even NUT CRACKER if all else fails !!! Lol
    Last edited by magnus611; 8th July 2014 at 12:46 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Any day I am exposed to Alton is a great day.

for swap/sale: