Code of Conduct

Default Vaulted scents shocker from Creed

Hello folks,

I have not been on BN lately (busy with life and using up my large fragrance stash) but I hope you are well. I was at the local Neiman Marcus and wandered into the fragrance area to try out some new frags and then ventured on to the the Creed counter. I heard some spiel about the Acqua Originale line, didn't get to try any, but pulled up the Creedboutique.com site and then saw this - frankly this surprised me : http://www.creedboutique.com/67-creed-vaulted-scents

Is this the end? Nearly all the Creed classics have now been vaulted. From the silky smooth Santal Imperial to the weirdly fascinating REL to the incredibly bright Citrus Bigarade. This just makes me treat my own Creed classics stash as museum pieces, relegating them to sporadic experimental spray sessions. Sure some of my other favorites such as MI, SMW, GIT, BdP, Love in Black and Spice and Wood from the les exclusives are in regular production..but for how long? My fear is that SMW, MI and BdP are next in line to be "vaulted" - regulations play a role but I suspect a large part of the equation is also sales. And I can't image BdP to be a sales blockbuster (although I recall MI and SMW did good business back in the 90s).

Thanks for reading -
    -

Default Re: Vaulted scents shocker from Creed

Creed has reintroduced so called "vaulted" fragrances before. I think it's just a marketing ploy to bring back once plentiful fragrances as some kind of exclusive that costs $800. Some are probably gone for good, but not all of them.

If they don't make a reappearance on the market again, glad I have bottles of 12 of those pictured.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    My fear is that SMW, MI and BdP are next in line to be "vaulted" - regulations play a role but I suspect a large part of the equation is also sales. And I can't image BdP to be a sales blockbuster (although I recall MI and SMW did good business back in the 90s).
    I would think SMW and MI are one of Creed's top sellers, especially MI. Would be very surprised if those get vaulted. Not sure about BdP though. I really like it, but could see Creed thinking it's not "mainstream" enough and end up vaulting it. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Creed has reintroduced so called "vaulted" fragrances before. I think it's just a marketing ploy to bring back once plentiful fragrances as some kind of exclusive that costs $800. Some are probably gone for good, but not all of them.
    I agree.

Just fresh from the Nieman Marcus Creed SA in Charlotte (Natasha is wonderful) and she thinks that more will invariably be vaulted, but once a year during their events, they'll come back in an atomizer and peak at higher prices than they have in bottles. In a very recent trip, she made sure I walked with Baie de Genievre, Vetiver and Royal English Leather since she knew of no other bottles, but insisted that they'd mostly come back once a year in a rotation.

Last time, it was Amalfi Flowers and Windsor that made a comeback "out of the blue".

I'd have to think that she's more than likely right. Why not charge extra for 50ml, which was the price for 75ml or 120ml? MI, GIT, VIW and more than likely Bois du Portugal are all "safe" for now. And if this new line doesn't sell well - I actually liked the Aberdeen Lavender and perhaps the Cedre Blanc (not had a full wearing of it yet, walked with samples of the entire new line) - I'd probably think that ol' Creed would have a Plan B in the wings.

btw... hate the new bottles. They look and feel cheap despite being well-built. Just don't like the design I guess.

The Creed brief is to blame IFRA restrictions. Personally, I think they are just concentrating on the best sellers and dumping the rest.

Why would they 'vault' them -- are they waiting for IFRA to change their mind?

Some of my all-time favorite fragrances (Royal English Leather, Royal Scottish Lavender, and Windsor) are among those vaulted fragrances.

Whether a scent becomes discontinued or just reformulated, it reinforces the notion that if you like something, GET IT. Don't wait too long - it just might not be available when you finally get around to it.

The Royal Exclustives scare me, since they were supposed to be a limited release to begin with. Get rid of Spice & Wood, Pure White Cologne, and Jardin d'Amalfi and the fragrance world will be dealt a huge blow.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

I believe Creed vaulted all those scents that had fake history attached to them.

Green Valley is one I always wanted to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Green Valley is one I always wanted to check out.
    You should give the Creed Boutique there in New York a call - they had a few in stock a short while back.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Will do. Thanks Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    You should give the Creed Boutique there in New York a call - they had a few in stock a short while back.

Thanks for sharing the info. Lets hope indeed they don't further vault more of the regular Creed lineup.

It's all conspiracy plot to take over the Niche perfumery...lol got to admit though that it's a great ploy to induce the masses when un vaulted for a space of time and then vault it again...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Looks like there's been a price hike on the more regular line up too, on the official site over the last few days, at least in the UK. The atomisers have jumped from £110 to £125! & many of the scents appear to have increased too......
    Last edited by Davem81; 4th July 2014 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    Looks like there's been a price hike on the more regular line up too, on the official site over the last few days, at least in the UK. The atomisers have jumped from £110 to £125! & many of the scents appear to have increased too......
    What the hell! You're right. Aventus has gone up to £215 for 120ml! Ridiculous. I got a good deal on my last bottle and could have justified pulling the trigger on another bottle for £180, but to suddenly tag on an extra £35 out of the blue is a piss take.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If they don't make a reappearance on the market again, glad I have bottles of 12 of those pictured.
    Which ones are you missing out of interest, Hednic? And was it by choice, or due to rarity?

I actually discovered on a recent trip to the US and Canada that several of these are actually still pretty easily available in the likes of Nordstrom and Holt Renfrew (presumably old stocks). I picked up Royal Scottish Lavender, and was told by a rep that I'd only missed her last bottle of Royal English Leather by a month or two. I passed on the opportunity of buying Epicea, Chevrefuille and Santal Imperiale.