Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default SOTD Friday 4th July 2014

Morning all, & a happy lndependence Day to all our friends across the pond!

Virgin lsland Water today.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hello everyone! And a happy Independence Day!

Teardrop, smelling great as always!

L'Occitane Almond body mist for me today! The perfect sweet and comforting almond scent, there's more to it than just almonds but it'soooo beautiful. And no need for perfume as this smells strong enough and lasts well also, as does the whole Almond body range.

Default Re: SOTD Friday 4th July 2014

hello all,

Basenotes Plus

Thank you, friends, for the kind wishes.

SOTD is Sensuous Nude from the house of that American success story, Miss Estee Lauder.

A happy and safe Fourth to everyone who celebrates and my best to all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Thumbs up Re: SOTD Friday 4th July 2014

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Hello all.

Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Toit
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Happy 4th of July to all our American friends!!! We love you (and we understand that you might not be checking in on us today)
    I am wearing L'Air de Desert Marocain today.

Vernona, I LOVE the Almond Body Milk range from L'Occitane! I brought the body cream with me into the hospital for the births of both my children, so I associate that smell with that precious time. In fact, so much so that I can't seem to ever put it on now without getting weepy. But is there a body mist, you say? I didn't know that! I will have to hunt that down the next time I am in a country that sells L' Occitane.
    “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Byerley by Parfums de Marly

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post

Vernona, I LOVE the Almond Body Milk range from L'Occitane! I brought the body cream with me into the hospital for the births of both my children, so I associate that smell with that precious time. In fact, so much so that I can't seem to ever put it on now without getting weepy. But is there a body mist, you say? I didn't know that! I will have to hunt that down the next time I am in a country that sells L' Occitane.
    Hi dear Claire, so glad you like it, those are such great products. The whole range, the best smelling one from L'occitane imo. And I believe that they bring back the best memories for you! Unfortunately, when I was pregnant I could'nt stand any perfume, anything scented would make me nauseous. Even today, perfumes I wore in the beginning when I still didn't even know I was pregnant make me sick!

I hear there used to be an Eau de toilette within the Almond range, so sad they discontinued it before I ever got to smell it and I really don't know why they don't bring it back, especially now when all other similar brands are making perfumes in the same smell as their bestselling body oils (Nuxe, Caudalie...).
    The body mist is a new edition, just came out recently, it's great, it's not a typical mist tho, in terms it's not just a clear scented water, rather it's a pearly white emulsion, that's supposed to moisturize as well, comes with a pump and some light shimmer. Smells wonderful,not sure about the moisturizing properties tough as it's way to light but I only care for the smell and for the nourishing part,the cream is perfect and the oil also.
    Last edited by Vernona; 4th July 2014 at 02:13 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon and to all those celebrating today ...

It is Friday and there is wine in the rack so would you mind awfully if we joined in ?

In synch with Xerjoff Nio.

Absolutely spectacular stuff - easily the longest lasting citrus scent in my wardrobe. Will be pulling the trigger on some vintage later for the evening synch.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 4th July 2014 at 07:16 PM.

Have a great July 4 everyone.

Jon you are most welcome to join us. You're bringing wine? Great!

Took a shower and although I was going with Eau de Shalimar I've totally changed my mind. Will be in synch with Jo Malone Grapefruit over Jo Malone Orange Blossom.

Last edited by BetsyMeszaros; 4th July 2014 at 02:29 PM.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Wow, our non-US-BNers are making a bigger deal out of our 4th of July than we are at our house. Thank you for your support.
    DH and I were talking about solar and wind energy this morning, as we often do. We look forward to America's future energy independence celebration. Selfishly, I most appreciate our national holidays because there's less traffic roar, and we don't have to shout when we're outdoors playing with this American landscape we love so greatly, and we can … for a brief while … hear the birds.

I noticed a bottle of vintage Opium edt listed in a new auction on Goodwill yesterday and placed a respectable bid. Already two bidders have nipped at my heels, but to no avail. We'll see what happens in six days at auction’s end. In the meantime, I'm well doused from the Opium mini inherited from ComDiva. Does not strike me as incongruent in the least for a day of transplanting prairie smoke and harebells or whatever else my shovel and I find fun to do. I wish you all the sort of ecstasy I feel at the prospect of a day like this. Smooch!

In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

Jon - I am going to be quaffing the vino tonight in support of America, whether Americans need my support or not (hmmm, probably not?) so I don't see why you can't join in on the Wine O' Clock too......raise a glass with me, darling one

Vernona - Oh, many thanks for the detailed info on that body spray! On second thoughts, the body oil seems more down my alley since it is more moisturizing than a body mist, and well, I already have a bottle of it sitting in my cupboard. I don't know why I am rationing it, but it is almost like I am so scared I will get pregnant again if I take it out. (And yes, since you are a gynecologist, my dear Vernona, I can almost see you rolling your eyes and wondering whether it's necessary to have to tell me that it takes more than a bottle of body oil to do that, but sure, still.....)
    “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Aventus

Basenotes Plus

Psychedelique by Jovoy Paris

Happy 4th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL at Claire's support (or not?). Please do, we are all better off with more support all around.

Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire for me today. It is not entirely about the citrus -- those who love their lavender should give it a sniff by all means, as well as people into dry fougeres -- but somehow it feels satisfying today, with dry, hot and breezy air.

Have a nice start of your weekend, dears.

queen of the universe

Synching in Jacomo Silences with it's citrusy start, celery middle, and introverted florals.

easyfish, Fabergé fan that I am, I'll have to wade into evilbay. . . heaven help me. . .

Quarry, my dad's entire career was at NASA Lewis in Cleveland. In the 1970s his work was in Wind energy. This gave him a chance to travel, and brought visitors from Denmark, Austria, England, and France to our home—also way too many windmill knickknacks (; The Reagan years put an end to the program, which nonetheless provided the impetus and knowledge base from which we get today's wind energy systems. Here something amazing. My dad's family was from Ripacandida, a little town in the Potenza district of the Basilicata province in southern Italy. Recently I found this photograph—wind turbines overlooking his ancestral home! Wish my dad was around to see this; my cousin says this is Dad smiling on his beginnings (he was "made" in Italy, born in Altoona PA ) I have to admit, they're not pretty, but neither is fossil fuel dependence. I'm incredibly proud of my dad's contributions in his lifetime. From illiteracy to a PhD in one generation.

20101102093415_Unaturbinaeolicaincostruzione.jpg
    Last edited by jujy54; 4th July 2014 at 04:50 PM.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Selfishly, I most appreciate our national holidays because there's less traffic roar, and we don't have to shout when we're outdoors playing with this American landscape we love so greatly, and we can … for a brief while … hear the birds.

You're my kinda gal, Mrs Q

Jon - I am going to be quaffing the vino tonight in support of America, whether Americans need my support or not (hmmm, probably not?) so I don't see why you can't join in on the Wine O' Clock too......raise a glass with me, darling one

I don't need asking twice - commencing synchronised quaffing with Montenegro . Something of a rarity this evening here, Shiraz - usually shy away from the tannins but have uncorked a fruity beauty to go with today's SotE.

Best citrus ever as far as I'm concerned. Glad I have plenty of vintage back-up as the reports from G (a trusted nose) suggest that the re-release compares unfavourably.

Good morning all. We are getting ready for our annual Fourth of July barbeque. My husband has a smoker and he is making brisket, pulled pork and ribs. I need to vacuum and straighten a bit. It's a lovely day and we can watch the World Cup as we get ready, and then maybe amble over to watch our tiny village parade. Who could ask for more?

I am syncing with Atelier Cologne Grand Neroli, which can stand up to to the wood smoke.

Happy Friday, and Happy Fourth for those in the U.S.

queen of the universe

Dear gawd, Jon, I'm going to have to pour some 4711 in my eyes to erase that last gif of yours!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Jon

Vernona - Oh, many thanks for the detailed info on that body spray! On second thoughts, the body oil seems more down my alley since it is more moisturizing than a body mist, and well, I already have a bottle of it sitting in my cupboard. I don't know why I am rationing it, but it is almost like I am so scared I will get pregnant again if I take it out. (And yes, since you are a gynecologist, my dear Vernona, I can almost see you rolling your eyes and wondering whether it's necessary to have to tell me that it takes more than a bottle of body oil to do that, but sure, still.....)
    Hahah But I do see your point! That smell evokes strong memories and emotions so it's harder to use it now in "casual" situations... I have similar feelings about some stuff that I wore/used/went to/watched on tv/listened to while I was pregnant and now I don't anymore, it's like I don't want to ruin the memory about it and that period, it'already loaded with memories that I feel as it's been "used up"...oh well..such a great description...not..it's harder to express myself in eng. But hey, the oil smells so great and is great for the skin so you know...once you start using it, it will most probably become something "regular" again...

A quasi announcement for my new fragrance, MadHat Jour et la Nuit just so I can sync up today. I don't own too many citrus-based fragrances and J/N has a muted blood orange note on top. Jour et la Nuit is my interpretation of how I think an old 17/18th century chypre would smell if you stumbled upon a perfectly preserved cask in a chateau somewhere in the French countryside...It's resinous, slightly animalic and mossy with some smokey undertones from choya loban.

*Cestrum Nocturnum and I were thinking Jour et la Nuit might be a good fragrance to include in a soon-to-come sample pass on the women's forum. I'll be donating some for you all to pass around. I'm sure it won't be the typical chypre you've encountered before as there's a lot of labdanum and choya loban which provide a definite smokey layer which keeps the civet from being too pissy...and there's a lack of bergamot and patchouli which was done purposely...blood orange isn't as demanding as bergamot and patch can take away a bit from oakmoss IMO...We will just have to see what everyone thinks, this one is more an artistic fragrance for me than I'm used to.

Absolutely perfect weather here in the Midwest, sunny, a sky as blue and clear as can be...and about 80F w/ a light breeze. Hope everyone here in the states is enjoying their 4th of July...and our East Coast basenoters are staying safe.
    Last edited by rynegne; 4th July 2014 at 07:11 PM.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Blog Entries

The sun has turned to rain again here today, so l'm synching this evening in Acqua di Gioia, my "warm & wet weather" fragrance.

Just about to join in wine o'clock with a cheeky little rose to toast our American buddies. Cheers!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Quarry, my dad's entire career was at NASA Lewis in Cleveland. In the 1970s his work was in Wind energy. This gave him a chance to travel, and brought visitors from Denmark, Austria, England, and France to our home—also way too many windmill knickknacks (; The Reagan years put an end to the program, which nonetheless provided the impetus and knowledge base from which we get today's wind energy systems. Here something amazing. My dad's family was from Ripacandida, a little town in the Potenza district of the Basilicata province in southern Italy. Recently I found this photograph—wind turbines overlooking his ancestral home! Wish my dad was around to see this; my cousin says this is Dad smiling on his beginnings (he was "made" in Italy, born in Altoona PA ) I have to admit, they're not pretty, but neither is fossil fuel dependence. I'm incredibly proud of my dad's contributions in his lifetime. From illiteracy to a PhD in one generation.

20101102093415_Unaturbinaeolicaincostruzione.jpg
    Oh, I like your dad. Doing a windmill clap for his contributions. Every word you wrote above is interesting.
    Won't be too long and we'll have our three wind turbines and two solar panels (as door awnings) in place, then I'll post pix. We think those giant turbines look beautiful, and our daughter loves staring at them (mind, she's 35yo, not age two). Our homemade turbines are much smaller, but can produce a respectable bit of electricity.
    Dear gawd, Jon, I'm going to have to pour some 4711 in my eyes to erase that last gif of yours!
    LOL

We had a productive day outside, have showered, and I'm ready for some Bois de Violette.

You're right, ryregne. The weather is 100% fabulous.
    Last edited by Quarry; 4th July 2014 at 10:01 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

OMG! Me too!
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

HAPPY 4TH TO ALL THAT CELEBRATE!!!
    Polo Red, White And Blue!!!

In wooznib's Jupiter to Juno, a wonderful orange scent and more than a cologne.

That Night & Day fragrance sounds great, very true about bergamot top, R.

Belated congratulations to Twolf for the 10k post milestone! And also congrats to cacio for his 9k posts!

Vernona and ClarieV, your wonderful descriptions and stories related to the L’Occitane Almond line make me want to run out and try and buy! Lol…you enablers, you! Vernona, I followed your coconut thread with interest! I agree, coconut is not appreciated enough! Much as I love coconut, I avoided it as a fragrance after feeling embarrassed by too many negative comments from classmates and friends that “something [i.e., me] smells like coconut/suntan lotion/pina colada” …and that was only wearing the old fomula of Burt’s Bees milk and honey lotion! Also, who was talking about the Jergens lotions the other day? That was a favorite from childhood, (and the soap, too!) because of the cherry-almond scent. My mom didn’t understand my infatuation with what she found to be a boring and cheap product, lol! They were more bare-bones-utilitarian when I was a kid. I fully intend to pick up some products next time I go to the drugstore!

Quarry, your day sounds like it was wonderful! Are harebells a native campanula? I must look them up now! Beautiful! Jujy, very interesting story too… thanks for sharing! I washed the dogs today, using the coconut scented dog shampoo which I bought only for the scent! It is actually “especially for white dogs” and mine are tan and black! Lol!

SOTD was Limed, in sync and also really enjoying being able to discuss a scent with its creator! Rynegne, I love the name for the new chypre! Thank you again for offering to share for a sample pass!!!

Happy Fourth to those celebrating! I need to go cuddle to dogs as fireworks are going off and scaring them!
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

No problem cestrum, I'm excited to see what everyone thinks!!! BTW...I spent way too much on :

Masque Milano Montecristo, I couldn't resist...I bought it this evening after the S/Os consent tonight that it smelled amazing...so I don't know...must not be too skanky because she supposedly hates musks/animalics. I didn't tell her there was Hyraceum in this one...not that she'd know what meant...but as soon as I explained what it was she'd most likely think this one lost its appeal.

Oh, and our dog is terrified here too...60lb black lab...sitting on my lap at the bonfire...
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Please refer sample pass plans to stuigi if that has not already been done (as they need to be authorised).
    thx.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    A quasi announcement for my new fragrance, MadHat Jour et la Nuit just so I can sync up today. I don't own too many citrus-based fragrances and J/N has a muted blood orange note on top. Jour et la Nuit is my interpretation of how I think an old 17/18th century chypre would smell if you stumbled upon a perfectly preserved cask in a chateau somewhere in the French countryside...It's resinous, slightly animalic and mossy with some smokey undertones from choya loban.

*Cestrum Nocturnum and I were thinking Jour et la Nuit might be a good fragrance to include in a soon-to-come sample pass on the women's forum. I'll be donating some for you all to pass around. I'm sure it won't be the typical chypre you've encountered before as there's a lot of labdanum and choya loban which provide a definite smokey layer which keeps the civet from being too pissy...and there's a lack of bergamot and patchouli which was done purposely...blood orange isn't as demanding as bergamot and patch can take away a bit from oakmoss IMO...We will just have to see what everyone thinks, this one is more an artistic fragrance for me than I'm used to.

Absolutely perfect weather here in the Midwest, sunny, a sky as blue and clear as can be...and about 80F w/ a light breeze. Hope everyone here in the states is enjoying their 4th of July...and our East Coast basenoters are staying safe.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php