Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Colonia Assoluta: how does it compare to other Colonia flankers?

Heading the the Saks fragrance counter tomorrow, and top of my list is Acqua di Parma's Colonia Assoluta. Now I've tried Colonia Essenze (sp.?), Intense and the original. A little too soapy for me, all of them. But, I saw that Ellena is one of the noses behind Assoluta, so, since I've been wearing Jardin Sur Le Nil like it's going out of style lately, I'm curious about Assoluta.

I'm hoping I'm surprised and find the new Tom Ford's, but I'm not holding my breath. In addition to Jardin Sur Le Nil, I've been loving Neroli Portifino this summer too. Even thinking about trying the body moisturizer and body oil. Anyone tried those? And can you recommend another neroli scent I might find interesting.

So many questions! But I don't get to the larger cities often and want to make the visit count. I think I'll wear a little Bergamote from Le Labo for the trip.

Default Re: Colonia Assoluta: how does it compare to other Colonia flankers?

The assoluta has a green touch and is less soapy than the others. As such, it is my favorite in the line. (In contrast, the essenza's soapiness is way too much for my nose).

But I still prefer other eau de cologne like Nicolai Cologne Sologne or Chanel Eau de Cologne. They have no soapiness, fresh and natural smelling. However, they are true cologne, meaning that they do not last, and one has to reapply. I guess one cannot have everything with neroli.

cacio

Basenotes Junkie

Assoluta tends to be a bit powdery, and the top is a little more femme than the rest of the line. If you're OK with those traits, then it's pretty nice. I'm kind of an AdP fanboi, so I bought it, and enjoy wearing it.

I just saw the new Tom Fords at the Neiman Marcus in Houston yesterday, so it seems like they're finally hitting the shelves. Both of them are quite nice, IMO, and I can see either/both of them being FB worthy. In fact, I think if you're smelling the Colonias and you get a chance, you may want to try Mandarino di Amalfi side-by-side with them. It's in sort of the same ZIP code as the Colonias, but headier and spicier. It has a very Italian fingerprint though, like the Colonias.

Good hunting!

I'd place Assoluta ahead of both Intensa and Essenza, and almost on a par with the original. With your talk of Neroli Portfino and the new Tom Ford's, I'm assuming that you enjoy/are looking for a true summer fragrance. IMO Assoluta should be up your street in that case - it fits that description better than any of the other Colonia flankers.

Basenotes Member

Thanks for great responses. I think I'll cross the street and hit Nieman's too and see if the new Mandarino di Amalfi, or the other one, has arrived. I've had my eyes on both of those since they were announced. For the longest, I'd smell Neroli Portofino in the stores and wonder what the fuss was all about. But then a sales associate was kind enough to give me a nice small bottle as a sample. Sold! Man, that stuff is just amazing, and I'm not exactly a Ford fanboy. I've smelled more of his that I don't want than the two (Neroli and Tobacco Vanille) that I own.

Quote Originally Posted by sdcga161 View Post
    And can you recommend another neroli scent I might find interesting.
    Neroli Originel by Givenchy from their exclusive collection. Should be able to sample it at Saks.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

In my opinion, very good longevity and strength in comparison to the initial Colonia. Other than that, quite masculine and classic, but with a certain modernity (thus, again in my opinion, appropriate as a classy yet uncomplicated upscale daytime fragrance for warm weather).

Quote Originally Posted by sdcga161 View Post
    ... I've been loving Neroli Portifino this summer too. Even thinking about trying the body moisturizer and body oil. Anyone tried those? And can you recommend another neroli scent I might find interesting.
    Try Ferre Bergamotto Marino. I believe it's discontinued, but it's still available for reasonable prices on fleabay. Lots of neroli, smells a bit cooler & fresher to me than Neroli Portofino. I really like the scent of NP but after sampling it a couple of times I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to spend that much on a frag that barely lasts 4 hours on my skin. NP starts off with higher sillage than BM (which is an EDC) but NP seems to plummet in the first 60-90 minutes, at which point it wears about as close as BM. I get longevity in the same ~4 hr ballpark for both and the Ferre costs a fraction as much.

Heavy on ylang ylang. I like it. Don't see manly men liking it. I feel it's very unisex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assoluta is my Favorite...

Intensa would be my fav, but to be fair, its been a long while since I've sampled Assoluta. The new leather is also very nice and potent I might add.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I revisited it yesterday and my impression is much the same as when it was launched - it's an okay, pretty good thing (better than a lot of stuff out there) but I don't see it as an improvement on the original Colonia in any way at all, if anything it's just a slightly more concentrated, tightly packed version without the good mood.

My guess as to why Ellena AND Duchaufor are both credited as working on it is because at some point one of them just said 'why the f*** am I adding more synthetics and screwing up something that's fine as it is just for the longevidee guys?' and then walked away, prompting the owners to bring in celebrity perfumer number two to try and finish the job. Just a hunch
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Regarding the original, am I wrong to think that after the lovely lemon dissipates, you're left with a rose and light woods? I want to recall rose and it drying down into something old woman, but there again, its been a while since I've sampled it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?