Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Best place to order samples?

I tried testing out some fragrances at Sephora, but it's really impossible to get a sense of what I like by spraying on the sample strip, and think I need to try several throughout the span of a day. What would be a good site to order samples from? And I'd definitely appreciate some recommendations as to where to start. I'd be looking for some choices that would be good for an office setting, preferably with good projection and longevity. I'll probably just pick out 10 or so that come strongly recommended. Thanks!

Default Re: Best place to order samples?

Others here can no doubt offer suggestions as to specific fragrances... There's also a Fragrance Directory (accessed via the 2nd tab in the green bar at the top) which you can use to check out the ratings & reviews of anything you're thinking of sampling based on suggestions you've received.

Once you've got your 10 frags picked out, any of the following sites come highly recommended:

http://surrendertochance.com/
    http://www.luckyscent.com/
    http://theperfumedcourt.com/
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/?___store=english
    Last edited by Schen Doku; 5th July 2014 at 04:00 AM.

Basenotes Member

I have had very good experiences with Surrender to Chance. They have a lot of inventory, site is user friendly, and ship really fast.
    Never used Perfumed Court but read a lot of negative reviews.

For mainstream/department store type stuff, I'd go with myperfumesamples.com. For niche/harder to find lines, I'd go with Surrender to Chance. Perfumed Court used to be the big one, but I've heard of lots of issues with them within the last year or two so I would caution against them, though in all fairness I have no personal experience with site. I have ordered from myperfumesamples and Surrender to Chance though, and had good experiences.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Panic View Post
    I have had very good experiences with Surrender to Chance. They have a lot of inventory, site is user friendly, and ship really fast.
    Never used Perfumed Court but read a lot of negative reviews.
    +1 on Surrender to Chance - quick and good service. Perfumed Court is good too but must be patient..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you aware sephora will decant you sample's to take home? all you've gotta do is ask.

Basenotes Member

Was not aware! Thank you for the heads up.

Ya ask Sephora first for samples. Nordstroms and NM will do it too along with most other stores.

For buying niche samples there are:

The perfumed court - big selection, but pretty expensive
    Luckyscent - cheaper but not as big a selection
    Surrender to chance - I don't buy here a lot, but I find they do have some stuff that TPC and LS don't have.

Basenotes Member

Twisted Lily is good too. I've ordered samples from them several times, and shipping has been timely and packaging well done. They also have provided me with additional free samples from their stock on top of the samples I ordered - most other places I've seen don't give free samples unless you are ordering a full bottle. Twisted Lily tends to have niche fragrances though it seems...

Basenotes Plus

Nordstroms will do niche samples if you can find one that has them. My local Nordstroms just started carrying Guerlain and Tom Ford, with more coming shortly, and the Tom Ford rep was more than happy to give me a few samples (tobacco vanille, yum!).

Sephora is by far the best though. I walked out with 6 samples this past weekend, a few for me and a few for my girlfriend.

Basenotes Member

Thanks a lot. I'm thinking about including Creed GIT, Grey Vetiver, and Tuscan Leather in my order. Any other strongly recommended office fragrances?

Basenotes Plus

For the office? Wow. Quite a long list there!

Creed - Green Irish Tweed
    Creed - Aventus
    YSL - L'homme
    Chanel - Bleu De Chanel
    Chanel - Allure Homme
    Chanel -Allure Homme Sport
    Dior Homme Sport
    Dolce & Gabbana - The One
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2

There are so many! Those are all really safe and can, for the most part, be worn in the office and not offend anyone. Also, most of them you can get samples for free at Sephora or any of the major retailers. No need to order them. Creed and other high end frags you'll likely need to order though.

Also, samples of grey vetiver and maybe tuscan leather you can grab from a Nordstroms for free. I was looking at grey vetiver this past weekend and the Nordstrom rep was all over me to take a sample home, wasn't big on it though so I declined.

I recently ordered a bunch of samples from Decantshop, and they were great. They replied super quick to my emailed questions and shipped really fast.

Not sure where you are located, but the Sephora near me has TF Grey Vetiver, so if you stop by there for more testing, you might not have to order it. Also, make sure you get the names of the people helping you and mention them in the online Sephora survey. Ask them about it, and then make sure to reward good service with positive feedback. They really seem to go into customer service overdrive when they know you will be leaving feedback for them (maybe they get bonuses based on it? One lady had her name all printed out on little slips of paper with the web address of the survey so I could be sure to mention her.) They aren't pushy about the survey though - you might have to ask.

Good luck!

+1 for surrendertochance.com Good customer service and quick delivery time.

Many perfume houses sell sample sets Atelier Cologne, Histoires de Parfums, CzechandSpeake, Galimard etc just google search any perfume house website you are interested in and look for their samples section. I prefer to buy straight from the perfume houses as the samples are fresh and usually 2 ml.
    [COLOR=""]a rose is a rose is a rose[/COLOR]

As others mentioned Sephora, Sacks, Nordstroms and Neimen Marcus are great if you can get to one and find a decent sales associate. But if that's not handy or you prefer more than about 1ml as a sample I highly recommend Crystal Flacon. I've picked up quite a few 5-10ml decants there and it's my main go to now when I want to try something new out without having to blind buy or find time to get to the mall.

I am awaiting an order from Surrender to Chance. Ordered on Thursday, received e-mail today that it has been shipped in two separate shipments. Will post when the package arrives.

First shipment of ten samples arrived today. 7 days from order to delivery. Well packaged. Still awaiting the second part of the delivery. Cracking open the Green Irish Tweed.

Received an e-mail today that one of the colognes to be filled had run out and they had just replaced it today. Should have my second package in three days. Good response to my e-mail and I appreciated the update.

I ordered two Amouage samples, and two Creed samples from Parfums Raffy, and had them within 4 days.

Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

ive tried numerous sites, but never have i been so satisfied with surrender to chance.