Code of Conduct

Default Powerful Arabian oud note

I have had Black Agar Givco and the Firmenich Oud Blend for a while now. Although they both smell great, I suppose I expected something more powerful. How do you get that really powerful Arabian oud note such as the one found in Montale's Black Aoud? I had about a 1 ml sample of it break in my backpack and I could smell it from a mile away for about a week. The Givco and Firmenich bases simply aren't that powerful.

Default Re: Powerful Arabian oud note

Real oud is very powerful. It is one of the most expensive substances in perfuming, but I used the real stuff in my last woody perfume. A little goes a long way, so that makes it cheaper. Just a hint of real oud can be noticed in a blend. I actually limited how much oud I used because of the smell and not cost, because it was so strong.

Others here know more than me about synthetic oud notes. There are a lot of products to sort through.

A "Givco" is a blend which is trying to duplicate the smell of a natural. Ditto the Firmenich base. As Dr S says, real Oud is very strong. And very expensive. If you can get it, a trace of Ambrocenide will do wonders for your mix. It is also quite expensive, but even stronger than real Oud.

Thanks to both of you for the information. I still haven't smelt the real thing yet, so I guess that's what I'll have to do. I just noticed another Firmenich oud base called Blackwood. I wonder if it's any good. Has anyone tried it?

I am talking about this stuff: http://www.creatingperfume.com/blackwoodfirmenich.aspx

Well, if nobody has tried it, I'll order a sample and report back.

Paul Kiler

Not Tried it yet...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I just assumed it was the same as the Oud blend PA sell. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    I just assumed it was the same as the Oud blend PA sell. Am I wrong?
    You could be right about that, but there are 2 black agar blends for sale on creatingperfume.com, the other being this one, which is the same one on PA. I therefore think Blackwood might be another product. I will find out the hard way soon enough.

http://www.creatingperfume.com/black...perfumery.aspx
    Last edited by ToddHuyett; 15th July 2014 at 09:42 PM.

Any news?

I haven't tried Blackwood yet either, but I was told that it smells very similar to Black Agar. I'll probably try it soon myself. but I hear good things about this one too: http://perfumersupplyhouse.com/produ...-abs-synarome/

For me it's kind of similar to Eden's Clear Labdanum. I once mixed the latter with some Guaiacwood
    and Sandalwood, and it slightly reminded me of Oud..

Kephalis from Givaudan found in small quantities @(creating perfumes) &(perfumers world) is a modern agar wood note, woody, sweet, beautiful, I even add both natural diluted oud 10% and kephalis to give a natural mysterious depth, and of course amberocenide from symrise to enhance the woody note and add an Oriental diffusive fixating effect.

Basenotes Member

I actually have a sample of black wood from creating perfume and it smells amazing! Be VERY careful though as it is extremely strong

Quote Originally Posted by natureknowsbest View Post
    I actually have a sample of black wood from creating perfume and it smells amazing! Be VERY careful though as it is extremely strong
    I have an OUD reconstitution form PA. Particulary Oud (Aloeswood) Blend (F). I believe reconstitutions are smell equivalents of the originals so i have no problems with that but...
    I am suprised as i was not amazed by it's smell as You guys are. The smell is characteristic and seems to be very very very excentric in the spectrum of Peppery Oakmoss type of smells. Any hints how i can properly unleash it's potential? (outside of goodscent company's blenders)? Tried blending it with Rose abs, elemi oil, ylang, rosemary , damascones and it just doesn't speak to me at all. The only good blender seemed to be Norlimbanol but it made all the character of Oud go away from the blend...

Basenotes Member

I've never tried PA's accord, it very well might be different from the one that Susan sells on creatingperfume.com

They are different.

Basenotes Member

I have Black Agar, and Blackwood. The former is much closer to a true Oud note, but lacks the strength and diffusion. I bought some Agarwood Absolute from Eden's Botanicals (Agarwood = Oud) and diluted it to 10% in PA, and it's still so strong that I rarely use more than 2-3 drops per dram of concentrate. Only that much when I am blending something with an intended Oud note. Eden's is expensive, but I bought a 16th of an ounce, which, once diluted, has lasted me months. Someone mentioned Kephalis earlier, and I wanted to add that, for woody fragrances, I have found that Kephalis has similar properties to Hedione in that it increases diffusion of woody notes significantly. It sort of opens up many of my wood accords, as well as "carrying" sandalwood and Vetiver notes up into the heart of the fragrance. In combination with Black Agar it seems to create a more diffusion synthetic Oud note. Blackwood doesn't smell all that agar-ish to me, it smells like a decent Oud/wood accord, but trying to get a pure Oud note from it seems pretty unlikely.