Code of Conduct

Default Powerful Arabian oud note

I have had Black Agar Givco and the Firmenich Oud Blend for a while now. Although they both smell great, I suppose I expected something more powerful. How do you get that really powerful Arabian oud note such as the one found in Montale's Black Aoud? I had about a 1 ml sample of it break in my backpack and I could smell it from a mile away for about a week. The Givco and Firmenich bases simply aren't that powerful.

Default Re: Powerful Arabian oud note

Real oud is very powerful. It is one of the most expensive substances in perfuming, but I used the real stuff in my last woody perfume. A little goes a long way, so that makes it cheaper. Just a hint of real oud can be noticed in a blend. I actually limited how much oud I used because of the smell and not cost, because it was so strong.

Others here know more than me about synthetic oud notes. There are a lot of products to sort through.

A "Givco" is a blend which is trying to duplicate the smell of a natural. Ditto the Firmenich base. As Dr S says, real Oud is very strong. And very expensive. If you can get it, a trace of Ambrocenide will do wonders for your mix. It is also quite expensive, but even stronger than real Oud.

Thanks to both of you for the information. I still haven't smelt the real thing yet, so I guess that's what I'll have to do. I just noticed another Firmenich oud base called Blackwood. I wonder if it's any good. Has anyone tried it?

I am talking about this stuff: http://www.creatingperfume.com/blackwoodfirmenich.aspx

Well, if nobody has tried it, I'll order a sample and report back.

Not Tried it yet...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I just assumed it was the same as the Oud blend PA sell. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    I just assumed it was the same as the Oud blend PA sell. Am I wrong?
    You could be right about that, but there are 2 black agar blends for sale on creatingperfume.com, the other being this one, which is the same one on PA. I therefore think Blackwood might be another product. I will find out the hard way soon enough.

http://www.creatingperfume.com/black...perfumery.aspx
    Last edited by ToddHuyett; 15th July 2014 at 09:42 PM.

Any news?

I haven't tried Blackwood yet either, but I was told that it smells very similar to Black Agar. I'll probably try it soon myself. but I hear good things about this one too: http://perfumersupplyhouse.com/produ...-abs-synarome/

For me it's kind of similar to Eden's Clear Labdanum. I once mixed the latter with some Guaiacwood
    and Sandalwood, and it slightly reminded me of Oud..