Code of Conduct

Default "The one cologne to rule them all!" Which one is yours?

Today I posted a comment where I made fun of Golum from Lord of the Rings when I was describing a cologne I really liked, and this got me to thinking; which cologne do I covet and love like Golum loved that ring in the movies? Not one of several, not one of two; but the one cologne to rule them all, the one that you love to wear above everything else in your collection, and why? Heavy stuff and a tough decision I know, but here goes for me.
    I think It's Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme, the red cap version with oakmoss in the ingredients. The reason for this is because it reminds me of my father who is now deceased, but not him as an older man, but when he was in his prime in the early seventies and he drove me to school in a big burgundy Gran Torino. I love the way this cologne smells, it's very lemony, and ashy, and prehistoric like a Coelacanth swimming amongst modern fish. It's as close to the early seventies as I'll ever get, and the fact that it's scarce makes it that much more valuable to me. I am very curious to read what my fellow basenoters would chose as their "preciousss!"

Sound Scents

Default Re: "The one cologne to rule them all!" Which one is yours?

Good choice on the YSL pour Homme... That was the first composition that got me to really take an interest when I was a kid. My most frequently worn and longest worn go to vintage Giorgio for Men... While it may not quite be my favorite composition outright, it has been the one I have had in my collection and worn consistently for over 25 years despite the never ending number of other choices I have had to take its place, and that is a pretty good indicator of how highly I think of it.
    Last edited by drseid; 7th July 2014 at 12:25 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Almost impossible to choose but perhaps Gengis Khan.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Armani Eau pour Homme- no contest

Dior Poison. I fell in love with it as a child when I sniffed it on my Mothers dresser. I love the narcotic tuberose, and mix of spices, honey, and plum, to me it all comes together in one divine unique unimitable mixture.

If I could only choose one it would be between:

Parfums de Nicolai Patchouli Intense
    Givenchy III
    vintage Miss Dior
    Miss Balmain
    Bottega Veneta

I'd struggle to only use one, but a lifetime supply of any of the above would cushion the blow and I'm worryingly in love with all of these
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

It would be a toss-up between Chergui and Interlude

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Yessssss....yesssss my Precioussss! My Aramis Havanaaaaaaa...we loves it, we does....yesssss!
    Last edited by kbe; 7th July 2014 at 11:29 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Rive Gauche I think for me.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

If I was limited to one it would probably be Acqua di Parma Colonia. It isn't my ultimate favourite, but of that select little top group, it's the one I think I'd be most comfortable with wearing everyday.

Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Good choice.

"Aventus" because it has notes that I encountered simultaneously when I was adolescent, care free ...and honestly they converged same way as with Aventus...smookyness , pineapple fruitiness , leather/birch and sweet woody undertones (ambergris)...No joke!weird but true..but I also have others in my collection that tickle my fancy in different ways also, so my overall pick would have to be at least 10 from my collection.
    Last edited by magnus611; 7th July 2014 at 01:47 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

You mean a 'signature scent' -- so many threads on this

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    You mean a 'signature scent' -- so many threads on this
    I didn't read it like that

I think 'signature scent' is one that you/others associate most closely with you - in my instance it wouldn't be Interlude as it is too expensive to wear all the time and is unlikely to be a scent that others would consider my signature

Am I totally wrong on my view of 'signature scent'?

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post

I think 'signature scent' is one that you/others associate most closely with you - in my instance it wouldn't be Interlude as it is too expensive to wear all the time and is unlikely to be a scent that others would consider my signature

OP quoted ...' the one you love to wear above everything else ..'.

So, your 'go to' scent

Not my signature fragrance, not my "most loved" either - but Eau Sauvage EDT is kind of a "go to" scent for me - started wearing it in 1995 - since then, never been w/o a bottle, now glad to own 2 X 200ml + 1 X 100ml in vintages in mint condition & another 200ml of the current formulation. Obviously, my most used cologne / edt to date...
    Last edited by badarun; 7th July 2014 at 04:10 PM.

Hm, the one I love to wear above anything else. That's tough, but I'd say I enjoy wearing Musc Ravageur the "most" of my collection, partly due to personal memories attached to it as well as its excellent scent.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Amouage Dia Man is my signature, however my current go to fragrance is MFK Aqua Universalis.

I don't have a signature scent but Kilian Back To Black is the one to rule them all!

Probably Creed's Bois du Portugal. I dont think I will ever forget the moment I first smelled it. I find though that I love all my purchases equally. Patou Pour Homme (vintage) is a contender too.

I tried to scale down and "prune the tree" so to speak because I am reaching the point where I have more fragrance than I could ever use in one lifetime. I planned to sell some or give some away, but when I started to choose which stay and which go, I found that I didnt want to give any up. If I purchased a bottle of it then it means I think the world of it.
    Last edited by litworth; 7th July 2014 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Good choice on the YSL pour Homme... That was the first composition that got me to really take an interest when I was a kid. My most frequently worn and longest worn go to vintage Giorgio for Men... While it may not quite be my favorite composition outright, it has been the one I have had in my collection and worn consistently for over 25 years despite the never ending number of other choices I have had to take its place, and that is a pretty good indicator of how highly I think of it.
    25 years? Golum would be proud!

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Yessssss....yesssss my Precioussss! My Aramis Havanaaaaaaa...we loves it, we does....yesssss!
    Hahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post

I think you're right. What I was trying to evoke was something that you feel so strongly about and evokes such strong emotions inside your heart that the thought of never wearing it again would be emotionally painful to you, much more than a "signiature scent" I think, my opinion. Fun thread though, I'm having a blast sitting here at Starbuck's across from a cologne shop wondering if I should purchase a bottle of Polo Crest.
    Last edited by Omega1185; 8th July 2014 at 02:58 AM.

Dior Homme Intense

Quote Originally Posted by Omega1185 View Post
    if I should purchase a bottle of Polo Crest.
    Where from?

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    I don't have a signature scent but Kilian Back To Black is the one to rule them all!
    You should try "Mumlak" by Xerjoff , so much better than BTB is like comparing GIT to coolwater , mumlak is more refine IMO...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Armani/Prive Myrrhe Imperiale
    Armani/Prive Rose D'Arabie
    Scent Of Peace For Him by Bond No.9
    L'Homme Parfum Intense by YSL
    M7 by YSL
    Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf
    La Nuit De L'Homme Le Parfum by YSL
    Tom Ford Noir
    Acqua Di Gio Essenza by Giorgio Armani
    Armani Code Ultimate by Giorgio Armani
    In no certain order...

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    You should try "Mumlak" by Xerjoff , so much better than BTB is like comparing GIT to coolwater , mumlak is more refine IMO...
    Thank's for the suggestion, Magnus. I have and it's on my wish list. But it's even more expensive then B2B and I find Mamluk a bit more sweet and leaning to the feminine side. It doesn't bother me, but still Back To Black rules them all As tastes differ I would never see B2B on the Cool Water level.

Sorry, Polo Reserve, which I bought, and it's nice, I'm wearing it today. I live in San Diego county.

Andy Tauer- LDDM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

This one is really tough for most of us.. But I'd say for me it's Profumum - Dolce Acqua. This one rules them all indeed. For so many reasons. For I love it so much, has great longevity and goes for any occasion. When I first smelled it, it was a revelation, an eye opener ..I've never ever smelled something so beautiful and fullfiling that I would bathe in it if I could. And it lasts so well on me while most other fragrances don't - and this is an important part of the "rule them all"cos there are others I also love but don't perform nearly that good. I also tested it in every season and goes well just about anytime anyplace while most others I love do feel more summerry/wintery/daytime/nigtime etc etc to me. It has such an amazing effect on me that each time I smell it I feel that I wouldn't need any other fragrance ever as long as I always have this one (that won't happen tough as I love others also and love trying out different ones and enjoy variety and would not like to smell the same way every day). But yes, it's the one for me, it's really for me, for the purpose of my soul. I'd call it a *signature* scent but it takes time for that, I believe you should wear the fragrance more or less regularly for many years to be able to call it your signature and I've met Dolce Acqua only a year ago so time will tell...

Edit: If they'd ever stop making it I would hunt them down and force them to make me a lifetime supply!
    Last edited by Vernona; 11th July 2014 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernona View Post
    This one is really tough for most of us.. But I'd say for me it's Profumum - Dolce Acqua. This one rules them all indeed. For so many reasons. For I love it so much, has great longevity and goes for any occasion. When I first smelled it, it was a revelation, an eye opener ..I've never ever smelled something so beautiful and fullfiling that I would bathe in it if I could. And it lasts so well on me while most other fragrances don't - and this is an important part of the "rule them all"cos there are others I also love but don't perform nearly that good. I also tested it in every season and goes well just about anytime anyplace while most others I love do feel more summerry/wintery/daytime/nigtime etc etc to me. It has such an amazing effect on me that each time I smell it I feel that I wouldn't need any other fragrance ever as long as I always have this one (that won't happen tough as I love others also and love trying out different ones and enjoy variety and would not like to smell the same way every day). But yes, it's the one for me, it's really for me, for the purpose of my soul. I'd call it a *signature* scent but it takes time for that, I believe you should wear the fragrance more or less regularly for many years to be able to call it your signature and I've met Dolce Acqua only a year ago so time will tell...

Edit: If they'd ever stop making it I would hunt them down and force them to make me a lifetime supply!
    This is what I was talking about, a perfume or cologne that you feel passionate about. Great post.

Thank you, Omega1185! I would also love to read if others would explain a bit "deeper" why they love a certain fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Easy answer for me - Green Irish Tweed. I was gifted a bottle by a relative years ago and out of curiosity decided to research the brand further. On doing so I stumbled upon a website called Basenotes and after lurking for a while I signed up as a member and have never looked back. GIT isn't my all time favourite but I still wear it regularly - it ticks many boxes for it's versatility and is a universally well received workhorse. However the reason it holds a special place is because it ultimately brought me here. It still remains a permanent fixture in my wardrobe - I'd never be without it.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 12th July 2014 at 07:31 AM.

Thank you, Omega1185! I would also love to read if others would explain a bit "deeper" why they love a certain fragrance.
    Me too! It's facinating to read why leople are passionate about something.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Easy answer for me - Green Irish Tweed. I was gifted a bottle by a relative years ago and out of curiosity decided to research the brand further. On doing so I stumbled upon a website called Basenotes and after lurking for a while I signed up as a member and have never looked back. GIT isn't my all time favourite but I still wear it regularly - it ticks many boxes for it's versatility and is a universally well received workhorse. However the reason it holds a special place is because it ultimately brought me here. It still remains a permanent fixture in my wardrobe - I'd never be without it.
    Funny you should mention Green Irish Tweed, it was the first bottle of nice cologne I ever bought and I'm thinking of buying another one, I spotted it at a wholesaler for a good price, great post.
    Last edited by Omega1185; 13th July 2014 at 04:06 AM.

For me it's Terre d'Hermes. I love everything about it. To me, it smells beautiful upon initial application straight through to the far part of the dry down. The citrus in the opening and the spices and vetiver later on just smell so classy and masculine. It has persistence and just the right amount of projection. To me, it's suitable for any occasion. If I really want to be comfortable and confident with my scent, Terre is the one. If I only had one, this would be it.

Yatagan (vintage)
    Balenciaga pour Homme
    Songe dun Bois dEte
    Azzaro pour Homme (vintage)
    Or Black (vintage)
    Bel Ami (vintage)
    Knize Ten (vintage)
    Avignon
    Kouros (vintage)
    Leather Oud

The "...muscular, unapologetic, unyielding force to be reckoned with..." Kouros rules them all.
    Last edited by pluran; 14th July 2014 at 01:15 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Green Irish Tweed. Best there is, best there was and the best there ever will be..
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

Sous le Vent.

As far as an actual "cologne" goes - Eau d'Imperiale.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Escentric Molecule 01... The most addicting fragrance have ever encountered. Catch wiffs of this after 10 hours.

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Navyy8 View Post
    Escentric Molecule 01... The most addicting fragrance have ever encountered. Catch wiffs of this after 10 hours.

Did you find this locally? I've been looking out for this in the DMV area and haven't come across it. I won't blind buy because of the mixed reviews.

On topic -
    Green Irish Tweed. It was what got me into fragrances. Such a flexible, amazing scent. I wear Aventus far more nowadays, but Green Irish Tweed will always be in my rotation. Always.

Luckyscent offers samples of Molecule 01. I first sampled then bought a 50 ml bottle. Own GIT also, and it will always be in my collection
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Navyy8 View Post

I've been eyeing this one for a while like a lion scoping out a zebra, perhaps the time has come to pull the trigger.

Basenotes Plus

The one to rule them all (at least right now) is Chergui.

Close behind are the "Two Tauers" - LADDM and Lonestar Memories.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I'm going to try Giorgio for men tomorow at the wholesalers!

I think you got it. This is what I was after in this thread; just a real emotional, devoid of all logic, longing passion for a perfume or cologne, and this is a rare and beautiful thing, at least for me.

I've smelled this one twice, but it was only on a tester strip. Now I'll have to re-visit it.

Becouse i work at the cosmetic department i can wear whatever i want. Its only when i wear Terre d'Hermes Pure parfum i get compliments from costumers and colleagues all the time. I do love this fragrence but never thought of it to be my signature. I gues it are the reactions from others that make a fragrance youre signature and not youre own taste. If I had to choose I think i would pick Dior Homme. I just love the house Dior for everything.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    yatagan (vintage)
    balenciaga pour homme
    songe dun bois dete
    azzaro pour homme (vintage)
    or black (vintage)
    bel ami (vintage)
    knize ten (vintage)
    avignon
    kouros (vintage)
    leather oud

the "...muscular, unapologetic, unyielding force to be reckoned with..." kouros rules them all.
    agreed....very word. Kouros rules all
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior Privee, Chanel Exclusif, Creed, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, MOLECULE 01
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

I'd have to say Green Irish Tweed...for now

Acqua di Parma. Started wearing it in my mid twenties, when only one store in ireland stocked it. Dated and married wife in it. Have tried to replace it but always come back to it