Code of Conduct

Default Formulas For Success

I will post them in order of importance.

1) Make A New Fragrance Family

Damn near impossible at this time but if you do manage to make a new family at this point in fragrance evolution, expect to go down in its history. Along with millions of dollars.

Probability Of Occurrence: 0.00000000001/10 Good Luck....

2) Start A New Trend

In the same area of a new fragrance family easier to execute. A lot easier. Right now the following things are trending...

1) Pineapple. Pineapple will be every ****ing where soon. Just wait.
    2) Javanol overdoses
    3) Maltol + Ethyl Maltol + Vanillin = Caramel overdoses
    4) Ambrocenide overdoses
    5) Fresh Fougeres

So go ahead. Hop on those trends! But realize If you do, you fail to start your own trend and it defeats the entire purpose of reading this.

Probability Of Occurrence: 0.01/10 Finding a trend that works and sticks is the tough part.

3) Overdose Those Synthetics!

Find your favorite newly released synthetic and work around it. How else do you think the designers do it! Overdose naturals? Ha! You can see how this correlates to the above post. Example, my favorite newly released synthetic currently is Dartanol. I would work around that molecule until I have a frag that accentuates my favorite molecule. As if an ode to it.

Probability Of Occurrence: 3/10 Find molecules that are good enough to have a fragrance built around them and do it before someone else does!

4) Perfect An Ongoing Trend

Just like Green Irish Tween did with Dihydromyrcenol, find your trend niche and perfect it. Start with those above.

Probability Of Occurrence: 5/10 You need to have some experience to accomplish this.

5) Be Different!

This is how you will stand against the crowd of aquatics and diabetic coma ethyl coumarintol vanillins. Do what ever you want. Bottle Aldehyde Supra at 50% concentration and sell it. Just seriously be different!

Probability Of Occurrence: 10/10 Guarantee of self gratification. 0/10 If you are looking to make money.

6) Inspire Lust

Everyone knows sex sells. Make an ultra sexy fragrance and your fragrance house is golden. This will take quite a bit of imagination and getting in the mood. No, not like that. Like this, put on some club music and imagine yourself at the hottest club in Shanghai, Ibiza, Sydney, New York you name it. Bright lights flashing, bass pumping, everyone dressed their absolute best, feelings of ecstasy and passion. Get in the mood and really FEEL IT! Now I want you to imagine a human being of a stunning, eccentric and intense visage. You have to go outside of yourself if you are a straight male/female and want to make a sexy masculine/feminine. Don't be afraid, its in your imagination no one will know . Anyway what would this person smell like to you? This seems abstract now, but If you would be surprised about how much you could learn about yourself by doing this. Smell some of your notes that you think you will want to use in your sexy fragrance before the exercise and compare them to what you conjure up after. Write down the change and why. Also remember, pheromones and musks are key and are your friends.

Probability Of Occurrence: 6/10 Get in the mood and do it. Leave the puns aside.

Well that's it for now folks. Until next time.

- BAGreat
    Last edited by BAGreat; 8th July 2014 at 04:25 AM.

Default Re: Formulas For Success

Fun post.

I'm the closest to 4, except instead of perfecting a trend, I'm trying to "perfect" (I said trying, my ego isn't that big!) an old idea that I don't think has been done well yet. So things are pretty much hopeless for me!

Recreating an old classic that is no longer available could also be a recipe for success. What are the odds? I'll go with 1:106, just because it sounds good.
    Last edited by Pears; 8th July 2014 at 10:40 AM.

Saw this in "Similar Threads" just now and thought I'd bring it back. Its funny because its true!

Why would creating an entirely new genre be so difficult? Have all the variables already been shuffled into various combos throughout the years? Maybe it would be easy for an amateur with no training ie doesn't know the rules so doesn't care what he breaks to whip up something fresh and different?

Cool post, enjoyed reading it.

Personally I think working on classics and giving them a bit of a modern update is a good way to go. The classics are classics for a reason; they contain something timelessly appealing. A timeless foundation with a fresh twist is always a recipe for success. Think of music, fashion, food, everything!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Saw this in "Similar Threads" just now and thought I'd bring it back. Its funny because its true!

Why would creating an entirely new genre be so difficult? Have all the variables already been shuffled into various combos throughout the years? Maybe it would be easy for an amateur with no training ie doesn't know the rules so doesn't care what he breaks to whip up something fresh and different?
    I've never cared for categories, nor have I learned them, or built them by purpose.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xida View Post
    Cool post, enjoyed reading it.

Personally I think working on classics and giving them a bit of a modern update is a good way to go. The classics are classics for a reason; they contain something timelessly appealing. A timeless foundation with a fresh twist is always a recipe for success. Think of music, fashion, food, everything!
    I must agree... there has to be a timeless, universal aesthetic.
    The Neo-Platonists (think the De Medici family) called this the universe of perfect shapes.
    An ideal world, a heaven we lived in before our births.
    Know your "why," and the how is there.