Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Exploring Caron more thoroughly

Re what's good now in Caron. I cannot recommend any feminine edt/edp (the masculines instead are still good). Extrait only.

In extrait, I concur with sugandaraja that En Avion is good. I have not smelled vintage. This one doesn't feel particularly mossy or leathery, it's more a neroli. I'd have preferred it with more leather, but if one prefers neroli, it's gorgeous. I'm usually not a fan of the flower, but i do like this.

Then Acaciosa, still sultry. However, I don't know what batch mine is. It is very possible that it was the leftover of an old batch, and that the new batch, if IFRA compliant, will have lost all the jasmine, which is the center of this perfume. So one has to be very cautious with this.

I am a little more ambivalent about Tabac Blond. The top is gorgeous, even better than the one I smelled at the Osmotheque. But then it lightens up, as sug was saying, and loses the deep smokey chypre character of the original. So I guess it depends on tastes.

Alpona, which I have not smelled in vintage, is a good citrus near-chypre. I smelled Narcisse Noir only once, and I was not impressed, too orange blossomy. But I have to reexamine.

cacio

I'm glad to hear Acaciosa is still on the market, though who knows what condition it's in. Still, it's one of my favourites and the decants I have are running low, I will have to think about saving up for a small bottle of the new stuff.

I was lucky enough to get in on a split of the Extrait version of Parfum Sacre and secured myself 30 ml. Wonderful stuff, deep and rich, but not a radical departure from the EdT, just more intense and luxurious, and with impressive longevity. The edt version of Parfum Sacre is fine, I think. My bottle is a few years old but not vintage, and I think it's lovely and still worth buying.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

I do think I will have to splurge at some point on the En Avion Extrait. Right now, I have my order in for 50ml of the Pois de Senteur which I recently fell in love with. I have a bottle of Nuit de Noel pure Parfum on its way to me which I'm excited for.

I did pick up a, happily inexpensive, bottle of Royal Bain and I am finding it addictive. It's vanilla in a way I enjoy. Generally, I find vanilla to be overly syrupy and heavy. This is a current version and I'm finding it quite good.

I'm still uncertain about Acaciosa and Farnesiana. I may need to get a couple of decants and see how I feel about them after a few more wearings.

I went against your advice Cacio, and gambled on a modern EdP of En Avion and I do like it quite a bit, though it's lasting power is poor. However, I also tried the same concentration of Montaigne and while I found it a pleasant fragrance as a whole, the EdP is nothing at all like the Parfum which I tried. The Parfum is difficult to find (I haven't seen it anywhere other than Nordstrom's). I may purchase the Parfum at some point, but for now, I'm doing a pretty intense exploration of the urns.

One person mentioned Pour un Homme as a possibility for me, anyone else care to weigh in on whether I'd enjoy this. I don't think I've sniffed this one yet, but I may add it to an upcoming sample order.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Good to hear that En Avion is good in edp. I have never smelled the edp (in fact, it seems it's difficult to find some of the perfumes in edp/edt).

Pour un homme is a smooth lavender (nothing like some sharp lavenders) and a smooth vanilla, in perfect harmony. Very simple. Whether you like it or not depend on whether you like the two materials. Threre's little else, so it's one of the cases where the list of notes gives a pretty good idea of what one's going to get.

cacio

Blog Entries

I have ordered a bottle of En Avion from the urns in the Paris Boutique. I urge you to try French CanCan from Paris if you would like a floral that is amber-based, oak moss-centric with top notes of Rose, violet and jasmine. I don't want this one to fade into obscurity!
    Currently wearing: White Flowers by Creed

Kumquat, I did try French CanCan and liked it very much. It's on my list to purchase in the future. Do you happen to know how often Suzan takes her trips to Paris? My plan is to order one Urn fragrance through her each time she goes. So my task is to determine which ones are closest to extinction. Suzan is going tomorrow and plans to see what she can find out about potential discontinuations. I'll report whatever she finds out. She did say she was also concerned regarding PdS as it is only available now at the Mother store, though I am pretty sure that Diane in NY still has some for the moment, but she did indicate her supply was low and not being replenished.

Cacio, I'm not a huge fan of Lavender, so perhaps that one isn't for me.

I had a little heartbreak with my Vintage Bellogia EdT yesterday. The sprayer went crazy and leaked over an ounce of the precious stuff all over my dressing table. Made me sad indeed. I do love that spicy carnation. I'll have to hunt down some more, but it was in the lovely travel spray and so I am sad to not be able to use that any longer. I did save about 20ml by prying off the top.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Blog Entries

I believe she makes shopping trips roughly every other month. That's my impression.

That ought to fit my schedule perfectly! Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your Bellodgia mishap! this is one that did really change, so one has to go vintage. You probably have the best smelling dresser table now!

cacio

If it's at all helpful, Bellodgia was my mother's signature fragrance until the late '80s when, in her words, they changed it and "it stopped smelling like clove pinks." They've been messing with Bellodgia for a while.

Good to know about Belladogia changing. I shall be careful. I really was fighting not being heartbroken. It had been such a wonderful find and then to have that happen.

I learned from Suzan that the Caron Paris boutique says that Pois de Senteur is NOT being discontinued, but that they have intentionally stopped allowing it to be carried in all of the stores. Haven't heard yet as regards any of the others.

Thanks for the update, Daniel! I love Pois, but I'm glad I don't have to race out and get a back-up just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post

Now, on my list are the following to search out for sampling. Tell me if I've missed anything imperative. And do share any anecdotes about this house you may have!

Infini
    You mentioned here Infini, i'd say go for it only if you love deeply intense Aldehydic fragrances, it's more in the line of Arpège or Climat, even a very old bottle will give you an intense aldehydic opening.
    One more thing! Parfum Sacré is more on the Spicy side of things

oh and I'm very glad you tested Pour un Homme!
    cheers!
    Last edited by castorpollux; 21st August 2014 at 04:35 AM.

Thanks for the heads up Castorpollux!

FYI, Suzan says the rest of the Urn collection is NOT being DC'd so we can relax for now.

Danieq, I just tried to drop you a note but your inbox is full! Let me know when you're message-able again

Just wanted to thank Kumquat and give her a shout out for the epic spot of that lovely Bellogia Extrait. It turns out they dropped the price $20!!!! So of course, I was forced to snap it up. Perhaps the extrait will convince me to give up the EdT entirely!

Blog Entries

Just wanted to thank Kumquat and give her a shout out for the epic spot of that lovely Bellogia Extrait. It turns out they dropped the price $20!!!! So of course, I was forced to snap it up. Perhaps the extrait will convince me to give up the EdT entirely!
    I saw that! I was hoping you'd go for it. I think you will like it. Mine is very good and strong.

Blog Entries

Today I finally got my extrait of 'En Avion' from the Paris boutique. I just have to try and convey the rich, leathery/ambery/neroli cloud that now envelopes me. I'm in a perfumed Heaven!

You are making me jealous dear Kumquat! I've not acquired the parfum version as yet! Enjoy it my friend!

Congrats!

Well, I know simply have to go spray myself with my own little bottle...

cacio

There is absolutely nothing out there coming near the big glamour of En Avion! Congrats, kumquat!

Blog Entries

You are making me jealous dear Kumquat! I've not acquired the parfum version as yet! Enjoy it my friend!
    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Congrats!

Well, I know simply have to go spray myself with my own little bottle...

cacio
    Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    There is absolutely nothing out there coming near the big glamour of En Avion! Congrats, kumquat!
    Thank you all for making me feel so lucky. I'm really glad to know folks who love it as much as I do. BTW, Mr. K actually came in the room and NOTICED the new fumes and made a positive comment, so score one for the Gipper.

Blog Entries

Danieq- what did you think of the Belodgia? Have you received it yet?

queen of the universe

En Avion! Ohlala! Congrats! I have about one wearing left from a decant of the extrait from our dear Larimar! Big glamour is right!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Danieq- what did you think of the Belodgia? Have you received it yet?
    I'm trying to stay away from BN for a while, but it did pop in and saw your question regarding Bellogia. I did receive it and while it is lovely, I am surprised in saying that it is not as lovely as the vintage EDT which I had the mishap with. That has an incredible rich clover carnation that projects like crazy. The Parfum is much quieter, more sedate and less spicy. I am sure I'll enjoy wearing it and the bottle is just precious, but I admit to having greater expectations. I think I'll be keeping my eye out for a steal on Vintage EDT.

Blog Entries

Oh, too bad. Mine was quite strong. Yours may be just too over-the-hill. Sometimes antique fumes don't hold up as well as we wish they would. (Sigh) :-(

BTW- don't be shy- put the bottle on skin and draw across. Might as well enjoy!
    Last edited by kumquat; 8th September 2014 at 04:52 PM.