Code of Conduct

Default Exploring Caron more thoroughly

I began my affair with the House of Caron with N'Aimez Que Moi Extrait when I was searching out violet scents. Funny that now, this one is more Rose to me than violet.

Next came a vintage Bellodgia scored in the 'free to a good home' thread. That one took a few tries to grow on me, but now, I am certainly enamored with it's rich, spicy depths.

Then, I fell under the spell of Tabac Blond parfum. This one smells like pure sin to my nose. Maybe because it reminds me of my days of smoking and drinking and all sorts??

Along the way, some very kind (and dangerous) Basenoters sent me a few other parfum samples to try, including Farnesiana, Acaciosa, vintage Nuit de Noil, Narcisse Noir, French Can Can, Royal Bain de Caron many of which I am falling for.

I also got to sniff Violette Precieux, Aimez Moi and picked up a bottle of vintage Eau de Cologne.

Now, on my list are the following to search out for sampling. Tell me if I've missed anything imperative. And do share any anecdotes about this house you may have!

Infini
    Parfum Sacre

Here's what is on my wishlist of the ones I've tried, which will give you an idea of what I really enjoy I hope. I've wondered whether I should actually go for Nuit de Noel as it shares some character with Tabac Blond (Caronaide?)

Nuit de Noel
    Farnesiana
    Acaciosa
    Narcisse Noir
    En Avion
    Last edited by danieq; 14th July 2014 at 02:50 AM.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Default Re: Exploring Caron more thoroughly

Infini is an ok floral, but didn't seem anything special to me. Parfum sacre is a spicy woody rose, interesting, but again, didn't wow me too much. I have En Avion in parfum: it's a dry, thankfully non-soapy orange blossom with fresh anisic note and a slight dry leathery drydown. I suppose it was more leathery and chypre in distant vintage, but it's still very good.

In your wishlist, I especially like Acaciosa, a rich, dirty jasmine.At least when I bought it, it was still ok, although with Caron one can never be sure of reformulation. I have not smelled NdN in parfum, so I cannot comment on that. The edt has a nice dirty note, but it also has a powdery-soapy note that ruins the whole thing a bit. Current NN in edt is an orange blossom of little consequence, and I haven't smelled the parfum enough to judge it.

As you've heard already, parfum is usually vastly better than edt for current Caron, and the way to go.

cacio

The Carons are a shadow of their former selves.

I have Infini in extract and its a lovely aldehydic floral in the style of say No5(I can't wear No5 but can Infini).

Acaciosa is now discontinued, it has a pineapple note it seems. I did have a sample, it was only available in extract. But I got a rich heady floral.

Nuit de Noel and Narcisse Noir should only be in extract as the edt version I found very lacking and sort of weak and watery.

Narcisse Noir in extract is a sillage monster of orange blossom. A gorgeous diva.

Narcisse Blanc is more metallic.

Nuit de Noel is nothing like Tabac Blond, its actually quite soft and understated. Despite the name its not what what you expect. The closest to TB is En Avion.

Farnesiana is gorgeous, rich heady heliotrope.

En Avion is smooth leather, I think of it has Tabac Blond but smoother and the leather is not tanners yard.

Parfum Sacre is loved by so many. Its incense powdery spicy rose.
    Last edited by donna255; 12th July 2014 at 08:43 AM.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

It's still possible to find the older versions in good condition.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Would also recommend- even this suggestion may be less usual- also a sampling of Pour un Homme. While not a clear unisex and more so a distinctively masculine scent, it has a sort of very creamy, smooth, rich and lush vanillic-gourmand complexity quite appropriate to be worn (in my opinion) by any gender.

I would recommend also testing L'Accord 119, unless you are exploring strictly vintage stuff. It's labeled as a fruit/floral but I feel that label is not the entire story ... there is so much more going on that just fruits and flowers. Even though it is a fairly new release, I do think there is a nod to the classic Caron "feel" in the base.

notes: blackcurrant bud, Egyptian jasmine, patchouli, blackberry, black pepper, vanilla, heliotrope, musk, amber
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    <snip>

Farnesiana is gorgeous, rich heady heliotrope.
    Not to self: MUST sample this!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Latest reports from Paris say that the Acaciosa fountain made a re-appearance at the Caron Montaigne boutique, which is splendid news indeed. I suggest sampling Pois de Senteur. There is hardly anything like it with its heavily talced feel. Poivre has gotten sweeter and cinnamon-y, so I recommend Coup de Fouet (the EdT version that comes in the Pour un Homme flacon) instead. Coup de Fouet is not discontinued, but only available from Caron directly.

queen of the universe

I have vintage infini extrait in the iconic stylized infinity bottle. It is a representative aldehydic floral with the kick of civet. EDT much less interesting. I discovered Acaciosa thru a kind basenotes denizen. Ordered the extrait about a year ago from PhytoUniverse in NYC. It is an exuberant jasmine, as if Patou Joy were a verb—Rejoicing. Fleurs de Rocaille is a beautiful spring floral; with Caron's often straight-ahead use of carnation taking a backseat to Muguet. Based on my small collection plus the sniffing of some decants, I would say that modern Carons stand on their own merit. I am a vintage fan, but I don't go in for the "past recapturing" sort of hand-wringing. Caron is to me, very, very French, which is to say womanly with a sly appearance of the animalics.

Ah, and Yatagan! An herbal, piny, galbanum-laced male scent, which I fem up with a spritz of Tea Rose.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Have you tried vintage Pois de Senteur parfum? It is absolutely gorgeoous and I am wearing it now. And only do so in the cooler months. Its a powdery floral akin to Lorenzo Viloressi's Teint de Neige. I only use a very small amount as it is very potent.

Caron is my favorite house, try them all!
    Parfum Sacre is my favorite of all - spicy, creamy, incensy.
    Nuit de Noel is a sublime rosy chypre. If you love chypres, go for it!
    No one mentioned Noctures, but if you like aldehylic scents give it a try - it's orange blossom, fizzy and airy.
    L'Arachiste is citrus, spice, metallic.
    Yatagan is dry, leatery, incensy, spicy.
    Third Man is sort of a floral, incensy.
    Farnesiana is floral, almondy, incense - complex and smells different every time I wear it.
    Royal Bain is great fizzy, floral, almost powdery but not quite, great when you want something light.
    Eau de Reglisse - citrus, ginger, vanilla, woods, spice, sort of a pomander scent. I love this one in any weather.

I think it's worth sniffing every one you come across.

Another lover of Infini here. I have it in the parfum (in the angular sculpture bottle) and have used a couple of bottles of the parfum de toilette (edp strength). What really makes Infini different is the slightly metallic quality of its aldehydic/floral blend. Don't know what ingredient or combination is responsible. Not chrome-cool like Calandre, not rosy-silver like Metal (both by P. Rabanne). Infini is warmer than either, but it has that effect of glinting light. The original version of Infini is much older than what was re-introduced in the 1970's and I've never smelled that original. The Infini we know is, imo, the distllation of its time - one whiff and it's shag haircuts, tight leather jackets and Bad Company on the radio. Enjoy if you obtain it. If you see the parfum in "the" bottle at an estate or garage sale, snap it up -regardless of the juice, it's a beautiful little object to have around.

queen of the universe

Cool Re: Exploring Caron more thoroughly

Well described, Jardanel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Another lover of Infini here. I have it in the parfum (in the angular sculpture bottle) and have used a couple of bottles of the parfum de toilette (edp strength). What really makes Infini different is the slightly metallic quality of its aldehydic/floral blend. Don't know what ingredient or combination is responsible. Not chrome-cool like Calandre, not rosy-silver like Metal (both by P. Rabanne). Infini is warmer than either, but it has that effect of glinting light. The original version of Infini is much older than what was re-introduced in the 1970's and I've never smelled that original. The Infini we know is, imo, the distllation of its time - one whiff and it's shag haircuts, tight leather jackets and Bad Company on the radio. Enjoy if you obtain it. If you see the parfum in "the" bottle at an estate or garage sale, snap it up -regardless of the juice, it's a beautiful little object to have around.

And, yes, it is. The bottle and the juice. Lucky me:

P1030778.jpg

Thanks, jujy54! Exquisite photo - I'm encouraged to pull out my bottle and show it some love.

My mother always opined that only brunettes can wear Caron. She was right, at least in my case. ;-(. She often wore Nuit de Noel as a wintry evening perfume. It smelled heavenly on her!

I am finding that I truly love this house. In fact, I don't believe I've yet found a single one which I don't like at all. I don't necessarily need to own all of them, but I find I am loving the Caronade. It's my understanding that quite a few of the Urns are being discontinued again. That makes me sad, however, given that the larger portion of the market wants fruity floral ala department store fare, it does make sense from a business point of view. I'm feverishly trying to get my hands on one of everything before they are all gone.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

I adored vintage Pois de Senteur. It was my favorite of the dozen or so Carons I had. Sadly, I never got to try Narcisse Noir or Nuit de Noel, but I was very happy with the ones I did have.
    Last edited by Zilpha; 11th August 2014 at 10:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I am finding that I truly love this house. In fact, I don't believe I've yet found a single one which I don't like at all. I don't necessarily need to own all of them, but I find I am loving the Caronade. It's my understanding that quite a few of the Urns are being discontinued again. That makes me sad, however, given that the larger portion of the market wants fruity floral ala department store fare, it does make sense from a business point of view. I'm feverishly trying to get my hands on one of everything before they are all gone.
    Which urns are supposed to be d/c and where did you hear this?

Nasreen told me first (Parfumerie Nasreen) and Diane of Caron New York told me that she thinks they are discontinuing Pois de Senteur and Acaciosa because she can't get more stock of those. En Avion and some others were mentioned as well. You may want to call Diane for further clarification.

Nasreen told me first (Parfumerie Nasreen) and Diane of Caron New York told me that she thinks they are discontinuing Pois de Senteur and Acaciosa because she can't get more stock of those. En Avion and some others were mentioned as well. You may want to call Diane for further clarification.
    I was in the Caron shop on Avenue Montaigne not long ago and was surprised to see the Acaciosa urn back on display, having heard the rumours about it being phased out. I asked whether Acaciosa would continue to be available and was told it was here to stay. Of course we can never really be sure what's going on but that came from 'the horse's mouth', as it were.

Good to know that certain things are staying. It seems to me that it's just a matter of when they decide to do a new batch. These are not big sellers, so they must be produced very infrequently. Of course, who knows the extent of reformulation. Jasmine is an IFRA criminal ...

cacio

Blog Entries

Yikes! I need a big bottle of En Avion.

Diane, from the NY boutique commented to me that Caron Paris NEVER says what is being discontinued until it is gone. Her experience is that one day they have it and the next, they do not. I have no idea how long she's been with the company, but the impression I had was that it had been a while.

Sam, I am glad to hear that Acaciosa is staying as I wanted to purchase some, but now is not the time!

Do you all find En Avion and Tabac Blond to be dramatically different from one another? I'm feeling like they have a LOT in common. So much so as to be nearly identical to my (admittedly untrained) nose.

Blog Entries

TB is all about amber while EA ​is neroli up front.

Do you all find En Avion and Tabac Blond to be dramatically different from one another? I'm feeling like they have a LOT in common. So much so as to be nearly identical to my (admittedly untrained) nose.

Re: En Avion vs Tabac Blond, I suppose it matters a lot on the vintage (and concentration). The two recent parfums versions I have are quite different. En Avion, as kumquat was saying, is a big neroli-anisic thing with some light leather underneath, TB opens with a big warm whiskey amber-peaty quality, then sort of loses itself a bit. They both converge towards a light leathery base, but the neroli in EA is quite long lasting.

I suspect than in (very) vintage, they must have both had a leather chypre base, perhaps a very similar one (I only smelled TB vintage, not EA).

cacio

I've smelled most of the line. There are still quality releases, but Caron incessantly reformulates, which makes it difficult to know what you're going to get should you rebuy ( perfect example: I love a version of Poivre that existed in 2006, but it is markedly different from both 2010 and 2000 editions ).

My current favorites are ( all parfum extrait unless stated otherwise ):

Pois de Senteur - powdery, peculiarly "petroleum" white floral with a rich opoponax drydown. Not many close cousins, a pinch like Vero Profumo's new Rozy.

Tubereuse - dense, rich, creamy tuberose, with a slight green, witchy dissonance that renders it unique. To my nose this what Mahora was aiming for, and failed. Vaguely similar to Bruno Acampora's Blu.

Accord Code 119 - a warm, powdery, musky fragrance with a slightly tart edge due to the blackcurrant bud. It smells like one described a modern fruitchouli to a perfumer in the 1940s and this what they came up with: very "retro" smelling. ( With this above all others, get the parfum: the EDP's balance is all off and it smells, well, trashy and over-sweet. )

Pour Un Homme ( Eau de Toilette ) - a song compared to the more symphonic femmes, but none the less a reference lavender for a reason. Minimalist lavender-vanilla with decent lasting power: no more, no less.

Excellent in older formulations:

Poivre - a rich, clove-y rose. There was sort of sliding scale where you have Rose - Or Et Noir - Poivre of non-spiced to spiced Caron roses. It's still good these days, but it's a bit harsh: a bittersweet clove accord akin to CDG's original EDP.

Farnesiana - Une Fleur de Cassie's sunny-tempered grandma, or at least was, before an overdose of ylang transformed it into a peculiar banana-floral.

Acaciosa - melancholic amber floral. The top notes have long been weird ( dissonant, sudsy pineapple that burns off soon ), but the base has become a bit etiolated now, too.

I find Caron frustrating because almost everyone agrees that most of the current forumulations are pretty disastrous. Sugandaraja has given some helpful suggestions; does anyone else have suggestions on what formulations are acceptable today and which should be sought in vintage?

Also, Diane in New York is very helpful, but I get the feeling that the bosses in Paris don't always let her know what's going on regarding stock.

Has Alpona been axed?

Alpona is no more as far as I know.

Though I'm not actually a fan of them, En Avion ( it's a bit less mossy, markedly similar to past editions otherwise ), Narcisse Noire ( very similar to a '90s edition I've tried ), and Tabac Blond ( it gets lighter and lighter, but the core accord remains recognizable ) have all held up well.

Re what's good now in Caron. I cannot recommend any feminine edt/edp (the masculines instead are still good). Extrait only.

In extrait, I concur with sugandaraja that En Avion is good. I have not smelled vintage. This one doesn't feel particularly mossy or leathery, it's more a neroli. I'd have preferred it with more leather, but if one prefers neroli, it's gorgeous. I'm usually not a fan of the flower, but i do like this.

Then Acaciosa, still sultry. However, I don't know what batch mine is. It is very possible that it was the leftover of an old batch, and that the new batch, if IFRA compliant, will have lost all the jasmine, which is the center of this perfume. So one has to be very cautious with this.

I am a little more ambivalent about Tabac Blond. The top is gorgeous, even better than the one I smelled at the Osmotheque. But then it lightens up, as sug was saying, and loses the deep smokey chypre character of the original. So I guess it depends on tastes.

Alpona, which I have not smelled in vintage, is a good citrus near-chypre. I smelled Narcisse Noir only once, and I was not impressed, too orange blossomy. But I have to reexamine.

cacio

I'm glad to hear Acaciosa is still on the market, though who knows what condition it's in. Still, it's one of my favourites and the decants I have are running low, I will have to think about saving up for a small bottle of the new stuff.

I was lucky enough to get in on a split of the Extrait version of Parfum Sacre and secured myself 30 ml. Wonderful stuff, deep and rich, but not a radical departure from the EdT, just more intense and luxurious, and with impressive longevity. The edt version of Parfum Sacre is fine, I think. My bottle is a few years old but not vintage, and I think it's lovely and still worth buying.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

I do think I will have to splurge at some point on the En Avion Extrait. Right now, I have my order in for 50ml of the Pois de Senteur which I recently fell in love with. I have a bottle of Nuit de Noel pure Parfum on its way to me which I'm excited for.

I did pick up a, happily inexpensive, bottle of Royal Bain and I am finding it addictive. It's vanilla in a way I enjoy. Generally, I find vanilla to be overly syrupy and heavy. This is a current version and I'm finding it quite good.

I'm still uncertain about Acaciosa and Farnesiana. I may need to get a couple of decants and see how I feel about them after a few more wearings.

I went against your advice Cacio, and gambled on a modern EdP of En Avion and I do like it quite a bit, though it's lasting power is poor. However, I also tried the same concentration of Montaigne and while I found it a pleasant fragrance as a whole, the EdP is nothing at all like the Parfum which I tried. The Parfum is difficult to find (I haven't seen it anywhere other than Nordstrom's). I may purchase the Parfum at some point, but for now, I'm doing a pretty intense exploration of the urns.

One person mentioned Pour un Homme as a possibility for me, anyone else care to weigh in on whether I'd enjoy this. I don't think I've sniffed this one yet, but I may add it to an upcoming sample order.

Good to hear that En Avion is good in edp. I have never smelled the edp (in fact, it seems it's difficult to find some of the perfumes in edp/edt).

Pour un homme is a smooth lavender (nothing like some sharp lavenders) and a smooth vanilla, in perfect harmony. Very simple. Whether you like it or not depend on whether you like the two materials. Threre's little else, so it's one of the cases where the list of notes gives a pretty good idea of what one's going to get.

cacio

Blog Entries

I have ordered a bottle of En Avion from the urns in the Paris Boutique. I urge you to try French CanCan from Paris if you would like a floral that is amber-based, oak moss-centric with top notes of Rose, violet and jasmine. I don't want this one to fade into obscurity!

Kumquat, I did try French CanCan and liked it very much. It's on my list to purchase in the future. Do you happen to know how often Suzan takes her trips to Paris? My plan is to order one Urn fragrance through her each time she goes. So my task is to determine which ones are closest to extinction. Suzan is going tomorrow and plans to see what she can find out about potential discontinuations. I'll report whatever she finds out. She did say she was also concerned regarding PdS as it is only available now at the Mother store, though I am pretty sure that Diane in NY still has some for the moment, but she did indicate her supply was low and not being replenished.

Cacio, I'm not a huge fan of Lavender, so perhaps that one isn't for me.

I had a little heartbreak with my Vintage Bellogia EdT yesterday. The sprayer went crazy and leaked over an ounce of the precious stuff all over my dressing table. Made me sad indeed. I do love that spicy carnation. I'll have to hunt down some more, but it was in the lovely travel spray and so I am sad to not be able to use that any longer. I did save about 20ml by prying off the top.

Blog Entries

I believe she makes shopping trips roughly every other month. That's my impression.

That ought to fit my schedule perfectly! Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your Bellodgia mishap! this is one that did really change, so one has to go vintage. You probably have the best smelling dresser table now!

cacio

If it's at all helpful, Bellodgia was my mother's signature fragrance until the late '80s when, in her words, they changed it and "it stopped smelling like clove pinks." They've been messing with Bellodgia for a while.

Good to know about Belladogia changing. I shall be careful. I really was fighting not being heartbroken. It had been such a wonderful find and then to have that happen.

I learned from Suzan that the Caron Paris boutique says that Pois de Senteur is NOT being discontinued, but that they have intentionally stopped allowing it to be carried in all of the stores. Haven't heard yet as regards any of the others.

Thanks for the update, Daniel! I love Pois, but I'm glad I don't have to race out and get a back-up just yet.

Now, on my list are the following to search out for sampling. Tell me if I've missed anything imperative. And do share any anecdotes about this house you may have!

Infini
    You mentioned here Infini, i'd say go for it only if you love deeply intense Aldehydic fragrances, it's more in the line of Arpège or Climat, even a very old bottle will give you an intense aldehydic opening.
    One more thing! Parfum Sacré is more on the Spicy side of things

oh and I'm very glad you tested Pour un Homme!
    cheers!
    Last edited by castorpollux; 21st August 2014 at 05:35 AM.

Thanks for the heads up Castorpollux!

FYI, Suzan says the rest of the Urn collection is NOT being DC'd so we can relax for now.

Danieq, I just tried to drop you a note but your inbox is full! Let me know when you're message-able again

Just wanted to thank Kumquat and give her a shout out for the epic spot of that lovely Bellogia Extrait. It turns out they dropped the price $20!!!! So of course, I was forced to snap it up. Perhaps the extrait will convince me to give up the EdT entirely!

Blog Entries

Just wanted to thank Kumquat and give her a shout out for the epic spot of that lovely Bellogia Extrait. It turns out they dropped the price $20!!!! So of course, I was forced to snap it up. Perhaps the extrait will convince me to give up the EdT entirely!
    I saw that! I was hoping you'd go for it. I think you will like it. Mine is very good and strong.

Blog Entries

Today I finally got my extrait of 'En Avion' from the Paris boutique. I just have to try and convey the rich, leathery/ambery/neroli cloud that now envelopes me. I'm in a perfumed Heaven!

You are making me jealous dear Kumquat! I've not acquired the parfum version as yet! Enjoy it my friend!

Congrats!

Well, I know simply have to go spray myself with my own little bottle...

cacio

There is absolutely nothing out there coming near the big glamour of En Avion! Congrats, kumquat!

Blog Entries

You are making me jealous dear Kumquat! I've not acquired the parfum version as yet! Enjoy it my friend!
    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Congrats!

Well, I know simply have to go spray myself with my own little bottle...

cacio
    Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    There is absolutely nothing out there coming near the big glamour of En Avion! Congrats, kumquat!
    Thank you all for making me feel so lucky. I'm really glad to know folks who love it as much as I do. BTW, Mr. K actually came in the room and NOTICED the new fumes and made a positive comment, so score one for the Gipper.

Blog Entries

Danieq- what did you think of the Belodgia? Have you received it yet?

queen of the universe

En Avion! Ohlala! Congrats! I have about one wearing left from a decant of the extrait from our dear Larimar! Big glamour is right!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Danieq- what did you think of the Belodgia? Have you received it yet?
    I'm trying to stay away from BN for a while, but it did pop in and saw your question regarding Bellogia. I did receive it and while it is lovely, I am surprised in saying that it is not as lovely as the vintage EDT which I had the mishap with. That has an incredible rich clover carnation that projects like crazy. The Parfum is much quieter, more sedate and less spicy. I am sure I'll enjoy wearing it and the bottle is just precious, but I admit to having greater expectations. I think I'll be keeping my eye out for a steal on Vintage EDT.

Blog Entries

Oh, too bad. Mine was quite strong. Yours may be just too over-the-hill. Sometimes antique fumes don't hold up as well as we wish they would. (Sigh) :-(

BTW- don't be shy- put the bottle on skin and draw across. Might as well enjoy!
    Last edited by kumquat; 8th September 2014 at 05:52 PM.