Code of Conduct

Default A little help from the Gurus.

So I've fallen into this scent addiction pretty deep, lurk on the boards constantly and have built up some 60+ samples and a few nice vintage bottles. I wear them for myself, but always try to please my girlfriend as well. Unfortunately, I found out the other day that her favorite scent from my sample collection so far has been Givenchy Play. I say unfortunately because though I do enjoy the scent to an extent I find it a bit generic. I'm hoping that some of you more experienced noses can suggest some other scents along the same line that I can try in my next decant purchase. Any suggestions are much appreciated, thanks.

Default Re: A little help from the Gurus.

Have you tried Play Intense? It's surprisingly nice. And, since you asked for it... the Gurus
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Are you responding to my recent blog post which featured a picture of a false guru? LOL. Anyway, what I would try, assuming you care about what she thinks in this context, is to spray what she likes in the middle of your back (or have her do it if you aren't flexible enough) and then you spray what you want in the mid chest area. It might take time to get the balance just right, because you might have to use more or less, but I've found that this type of thing can actually enhance both scents. Instead of the back, I sometimes spray to the area just above the ankle, when I want to sample something but not have it interfere too much with the scent I am wearing normally.

Some gourmands that share a similar vibe:

Hermes Amber Narguile
    Mugler A*Men, Pure Havane, Pure Malt
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Frapin 1270
    Guerlain Tonka Imperiale
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks gents, Hednic was looking forward to your post. Gonna try the Frapin and Hermes as I've really enjoyed some of their other offerings.

Body Kouros by YSL

Perhaps also Givenchy Very Irresistible

New Haarlem would be a good shout for the coffee note.

+1 for New Haarlem. Pancakes and maple syrup in a bottle.

maybe a bit counter here but don't let your ego get in the way of your (and your gf's) happiness. As long as you don't think the scent is terrible, if at least you find it wearable and it makes her happy, then why not just wear it here and there. Sure go look for a more 'niche' version but don't be snobby. Just because it's 'designer' doesn't make it bad. Wear it and enjoy. Sometimes you want Gucci, sometimes GAP is good enough.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    maybe a bit counter here but don't let your ego get in the way of your (and your gf's) happiness. As long as you don't think the scent is terrible, if at least you find it wearable and it makes her happy, then why not just wear it here and there. Sure go look for a more 'niche' version but don't be snobby. Just because it's 'designer' doesn't make it bad. Wear it and enjoy. Sometimes you want Gucci, sometimes GAP is good enough.
    All of this
    Seasonal rotation:

Original Santal
    Apple Brandy
    Tuscan Leather
    Silver Mountain Water
    Lyric Man