Code of Conduct

Default How different are these two scents?

Chanel Allure Homme and YSL L'Homme?

Here's why I ask: I am looking for another everyday office scent to add to my wardrobe, and have my eye on the Chanel. I already own L'Homme, and I like it a lot ... however, that flowery/powdery/ginger scent is not one I care to wear to the office. I typically only wear it when I'm going out at night. I notice that the Allure has a ginger note to it, and I've seen people mention some similarities in the reviews every so often. SO... are these two scents different enough to justify owning both? And also, is Allure appropriate for an office scent? I'm an attorney, by the way, and work in a mid-size private firm. Not stuffy but not casual.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: How different are these two scents?

They're different. Allure Homme is one I'd like to have, and the Allure Homme Edition Blanch - but I have Allure Homme Sport which fills the role for them both well enough at the moment.

I would say it's kind of powdery, and I'd say more so than L'homme is. These scents are pretty much in every mall and department store. I'd really go grab some samples from Sephora and experiment.

It seems like what you're looking for is something a bit more masculine?

Quote Originally Posted by sdotlow View Post

It seems like what you're looking for is something a bit more masculine?
    Yes I think that's right. Something suit and tie appropriate, but less floral/powdery than L'Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by xaa922 View Post
    Chanel Allure Homme and YSL L'Homme?

SO... are these two scents different enough to justify owning both?
    IMO Yes.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Pretty different IMO

Thanks for the input. I'm going to swing by Macy's and give Chanel Allure a try.

They are definitely different in every way, in my opinion!

Chanel Allure Homme is the real deal. Let us know what you think!

Allure Homme is my favorite out of the two.

Also, check out Chanel Platinum Egoiste. In my opinion this would fit an attorney perfectly, and not because of the name . Hehe.

Quite different, the first being a smooth, fresh inoffensive but non-generic sporty fragrance, the latter a lighter, but still somehow powdery spicy male floral.

So I finally was able to get myself to a fragrance counter and do some sampling. I sampled Chanel Allure Homme on one wrist and, based on Neo's recommendation, Platinum Egoiste on the other. I walked away from the counter and walked around the mall a bit so that each could dry down. My conclusions:

Allure Homme is MUCH different than the YSL L'homme. You guys were correct. To me it has a very refined amber quality to it that makes it less powdery than L'homme. It has a classy work vibe to it. I bought a FB because I was so impressed.

Platinum Egoiste ... hmmmm... I don't dislike it, but I can't get one particular comparison out of my head ... DRAKKAR! Let me be clear ... it is much much more refined than Drakkar, and not as synthetic. It's definitely not as "loud" either. But it's definitely similar. It's that peppery base combined with a creamy (more like "lotiony") sweetness that gets me ... the very essence of the Drakkar fragrance. The similarities were such that I did not buy a bottle. I may eventually, but we'll see.