Code of Conduct

Default Whats your opinion on Mugler fragrances?

I was looking at some of the Thierry Mugler fragrances, what are your favorite mugler fragrances? I am planning on ordering mugler cologne, since I needed a non-offensive cologne for work.
    Thanks

Default Re: Whats your opinion on Mugler fragrances?

I own all the Mugler mens fragrances and like them a lot. My preferred is Pure Havane.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

They generally live up to the hype. A*men is the GIT of gourmands.

Great values - long lasting stuff, reasonably priced. Not a fan of all of them, but really like most.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I don't dislike any of them. I really like TM Cologne, Amen, PM, PH, PC. The other ones I like but just not as much.

It's innovative at the design level but can honestly say they do nothing for me and if there was one that I liked was PM...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I admire their performance, but I find that women in my circle either dislike or are ambivalent to them. The gourmand thing is somewhat polarizing. Mugler cologne is bland and a weak performer.

So would you guys recommend mugler cologne as a blind buy? I have already have a decent collection but I needed a cologne that was inoffensive and clean smelling, however I haven't been able to find a sample of the mugler cologne.

I find most of them fairly strong, good performers. Most of the men's scents come in stupid, ridiculous rubber covered bottles that really suck to use. Pinicle of bad design and ergonomics!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M. View Post
    So would you guys recommend mugler cologne as a blind buy? I have already have a decent collection but I needed a cologne that was inoffensive and clean smelling, however I haven't been able to find a sample of the mugler cologne.
    Yes, this one gets a lot of love and very similar to Original Vetiver by Creed and some might even say MC is even better Mua included but if I had to choose in this Genre of clean vetiver scents with a modern take(twist)then Tom Fords Grey Vetiver STOMPS on both of these..but nevertheless MC is a very enjoyable scent on its own right as CV also and very safe and ideal for professional settings or as you may enjoy in all venues unrestrained ..cheerios
    Last edited by magnus611; 16th July 2014 at 02:41 AM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I haven't bought any Mugler frags yet (didn't like Pure Malt at all, found A*Men so-so and need to revisit it later) but after sampling Mugler Cologne it will definitely be one of my next purchases. Great summer scent, clean and green and refreshing. It opens with a nice blast of bitter citrus from the bergamot then softens to a neroli and clean white musk scent with possibly a hint of vetiver to contribute some greenness. As far as blind buys go I do think it would be a fairly safe choice based on what you're looking for, and generally safe for a work environment from a sillage standpoint. I have a hard time imagining anyone being offended by this frag, then again I don't know your coworkers.

Most of them are fun to wear.

I think they also make excellent use of synthetics. Better than average.

I've tried and owned Pure Malt, Pure Havane and Pure Shot; sold all of them. They're all very sweet, tad overrated and rather unimaginative. While I don't own Mugler Cologne, I have smelled it and I'd say it's a pretty good inoffensive scent at a solid value.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

I like most of the A*Men, perhaps Pure Malt the best.Gourmand, rich, woody, big. None of the A*Men is however a safe blind buy, as they are quite strong and distinctive.

As others were saying, Mugler cologne smells quite clean and fresh, but not soapy, more like steam, if it makes sense. If you like modern clean fragrances, it should be relatively safe.

cacio

Mugler has been in a slump lately for me. I haven't been impressed from what I have tried since Havane. I own Amen, Bmen, PC, PM, and PH.
    I am hoping PW will be worth a buy but I won't blind buy at this point, I tried Pure Leather and it was too close to Amen for me to think about buying so I will wait. Also it will be hard to beat my current designer woody scents, Gucci Rush and PH so we shall see.

Pure Havane and Pure Malt are my favorites in the line.

I own:

Mugler Cologne
    A*Men
    Pure Coffee
    Pure Malt
    Pure Havane
    Pure Leather
    Pure Wood

I really like this house. Some of their releases are just not bottle worthy even though I really wanted to love them (ToF, B*Men, Ice*Men, Pure Shot, Sunessence), but I do make it a point to thoroughly test everything that they come out with.

As a matter of fact, Mugler Cologne is my favorite fragrance of all time.

Think they are well constructed/long lasting and in general unique(for a designer)at a very good price point. However....this house just doesn't seem to really be something I'm into and the whole Amen flanker thing is really getting played out IMO. Amen is good, but have a hard time finding places to wear it. Me and Pure Havane/Pure Malt just didn't get along and I sold them immediately. Taste of Fragrance is the only one I still own, and I do really like it.

Big fan of A*men and all its flankers with Pure Malt 2013 being my current favorite.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Depends what you mean by offensive. The one most people would consider least "offensive" would be the one just named "Mugler." It's soapy and safe. I think most of his other colognes are more adventuresome. I wouldn't wear A.Men in a law office, for example.

I own quite a bit, they're something like an iPhone of frags, you may not like them but you just gotta have 'em. Ok, I like them but you get the point.

Cologne, B*Men, A*Men and Ice Men are not bad as cheap. All the Pure Stuff is just milking it and the ones I've tried, Pure Malt, Pure Leather, Pure Shot, weren't all that great. Pure Shot was rubbish. Angel and Alien are fine but, like A*men, rather tired by now. Angel Leather was rubbish.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 16th July 2014 at 08:30 AM.

I love them all. Even amen although just 1 spray is enough.
    I bought cologne again after 4 years wonderful for.the summer.
    I've even worn some of the female fragrances as well.
    The metal amen bottle is amazing as are the angel refillable stars.
    I'd say pure malt is my favourite but it is veryyy sweet.
    Bring back Bmen!!!!

A*Men was a insult to my nose and I threw up after first trying it. So I have taken a stand and boycotted the house and will not tolerate anything from Mugler to set foot in my home. lol

When they're good(A*Men, PH, PM, MC, Angel, Alien, etc.), they're REALLY good.
    As you can see, when there's a new releases from this house, there's some excitement for good reason.
    I give the house a thumps up, but they do have some duds imo.

As with most designer /and, perhaps to a lesser extent, also niche) fragrance houses, they have a few highlights, a few decent offerings, rating most likely as "middle of the road" and even the few ones somehow underwhelming or less likable to my personal sense of smell, but it still does not mean altogether bad.

However, among the highlights of the house enjoyed by me (as a strictly personal preference), glad to recommend Pure Havane, Mugler Cologne and, while not as much my favorites as the first two, surprisingly BMen and even the apparently generic fresh scent of Pure Shot had a pleasant development to my nose, far better than first expected.

Basenotes Plus

They're not very good. I've tried about five of em and they did nothing for me with pure shot possibly being the worst fragrance I've ever tried
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

Basenotes Member

I love A*men and it's the only one i own of the line, as of today. I'm still exploring the flankers before buying a FB, and yet haven't smelled MC.
    After a few smelling sessions it seems PH and PL are my next favourites, and PM didn't really appealed to my nose.
    They are indeed pretty potent and in fact, that's why i like them. Then of course, the "offense" level depends on how you handle the sprayer i guess. And on the contrary of some opinions here, i do like very much the rubber bottle and sprayer, it feels great and fits perfectly my hand.
    Looking forward to reading the OP's choice and comments.

Good stuff. Pure Malt, Pure Havane, AMen and Cologne are favorites of mine.

overrated cheapie soul!

I own and like Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and Mugler Cologne. I am not a big fan of Havane (too sweet/cough syrupy) and despise the original A*Men (Pure Tar/Patchouli).
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

I'm a big fan, and my favorite at the moment is probably Pure Havane and Pure Malt. The performance is outstanding, but I agree that the bottle design leaves a lot to be desired.

Pure Havane is a must have.

Only Mugler cologne for me, the others make me feel sick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    * Current Favourites *
    Amouage: Lyric Man & Essenza di Colonia Acqua di Parma
    Serge Lutens: Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit

I found that Macy's carried a few Mugler fragrances, so I went ahead and bought Mugler cologne as well as Angel men. A friend of mine has Pure malt already as well as pure shot, so we got together and I sampled all of them

Mugler Cologne - Very nice, As described, I got a soapy fresh scent, which was very inoffensive, I will probably make this my work fragrance, I would be amazed at anyone being offended by it

Pure shot - Honestly not impressed, minty, but I could have sworn that I smelled this in a shower gel, or maybe a cheap deodorant. I could not see myself spending that much on it. It is however not a "bad" fragrance, just not something I could think of spending that much on

Pure Malt- A really nice fragrance, I think I maybe got a note of whisky, but at the same time there was a nice sweetness to the fragrance, It seems quite strong too, which is a plus
    Angel Men- I did not like this fragrance, There is a really annoying top almost tar like?, I waited a while but the tar note remained, with a slight undertone of a mix of lavender/ and a sugary sweet smell. I couldnt see myself wearing this that often
    Overall , I think the Mugler house seems a bit above average, as their colognes last a long time, however Pure shot could use some improvement.
    Thanks to everyone who replied !

I like Pure Havane but poor longevity keeps me from buying it.

A Men smelled like TANG powdered fruit drink to my nose.

A*Men series is pretty good. The one I like the most and consider absolutely worth owning is the original Angel Men. Dont have much experience with Mugler Cologne, but from what I can tell its pretty indispensable for sizzling summer days, whereas original AMen is definitely a huge challenge in summer time.

Basenotes Member

I tried the Mugler fragrances available at my local Macy's not too long ago. Mugler Cologne seemed like a fine fragrance, but I did not like the original Angel Men at all. That combination of tar and sweetness was not particularly pleasant. Pure Malt seemed okay, but I wasn't blown away. Also, I despise those rubber flasks. I understand why some people might like them, but they don't fit my style at all.

Basenotes Member

Generally I like Mugler's releases and my favorites are Pure Malt, Pure Havane, Taste of Fragrance, and B*Men. The original is ok but I have a hard time finding the appropriate time to wear it while Pure Leather is too boring for me. Still waiting to see how Pure Wood will turn out for me.
    Current Top 7:
    1. Dior Fahrenheit
    2. Dior Homme Intense
    3. Creed GIT
    4. Bond. 9 New Harlem
    5. Gucci Envy
    6. Pure Havane
    7. Pure Malt