Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Angry I'm done with Bond No. 9

So after a year or two hiatus from the fragrance hobby, I've been dabbling again lately. Sniffing and researching new scents, and revisiting fragrances that I sampled years ago and enjoyed but never purchased. Among other brands, I have a list of about 11 Bond scents that I would like to sample.

Checked Scented Monkey's website, realized they no longer offer decants at all. Ok fine.

Checked Perfumed Court's website, realize Bond No. 9 is no longer listed. Ok....

I check Bond's website, cannot find the section to purchase samples. I've purchased samples from them before, but the option to do so is no longer available on their site.

I do some brief research on Basenotes and discover that Bond went after Perfumed Court and possibly other online decanters and issued cease and desist orders. Alrighty then....

I pick up the phone and call Bond's customer service number, which I believe is the NY boutique itself. I explain that I would like to purchase samples of their products, as I have in the past. Last time I sampled their products, I purchased a large bottle of New Haarlem. She informs me that they no longer offer samples. She advises me to travel to Saks to try their products. I inform her that I live in WV and we don't have a Saks in this state. She chuckles to herself, and then asks me for my city and state. I give her my info, and she confirms that there's no Saks in my state, and chuckles again. Yeah, I already knew that. Then there's like 7 seconds of silence while she waits for me to say something further. So I once again ask her if she has any solution to accommodate me, as I'm a returning customer. She advises that I drive to the closest Saks. I inform her that it's a 3.5 hour drive out of state. She says to me "sorry about your luck" in so many words, chuckles a 3rd time, and so I tell her thanks anyway and hang up.

By scouring, strong-arming, and stripping the Internet of all samples/decants (including their official samples), Bond has purposely created a situation where I cannot easily sample any of their products. This is ridiculous. I've never had a problem sampling products from other brands. I have contacted Mugler, Hermes, Guerlain, and other companies and have always had pleasant experiences. The majority of these companies have promptly sent me samples at no charge after confirming that there's no boutique in my state, and thus no way for me to sample their products.

Well here I am pleading with Bond to allow me to PAY THEM for these samples, and they refuse while laughing at my situation. WTF

I know that Bond doesn't get much love on these forums, but I've always kept an open mind (err..nose) and never had a problem with them. Until now that is.

My only real recourse is to vote with my dollar, and they won't be getting any more money from me. I'm done with 'em.
    Last edited by Shaheen; 16th July 2014 at 06:41 AM.

Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

I would be a real paying customer as well and I agree 100% with you. I can't try them locally or pay for a decant online so to the hell with them.

I guess they have endless money and don't need mine.

Not a very good house imo, I only found New Haarlem bottle worthy from what I have tried.

I own plenty of Bond, but their attitude does rub you the wrong way. I'm still curious as to their http:// scent, but I'm not about to blind buy it - I already own Aventus.

But yeah... they're pretty damn shady in how they've been doing business. Not cool at all how you were treated.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread

Well, before they wanted like $120 (shipping) for sending samples to Europe. F*** such company.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

Wow, I can't believe the only way you can sample their scents it to go to a high end department store....doesn't seem like a very good business plan to me. Like you, I don't have any place within 2-3hrs of me that would have them....and no way in hell I'd blind buy a 200-300 dollar fragrance

Sorry about your experience, OP. I would recommend purchasing the Bond samples from eBay. That's what I've been doing.

There are plenty of samples on ebay. Also you could try calling a Saks and seeing if there is a rep that is sympathetic to your situation and may be willing to send you some. Or the Bond NY boutique itself.

Out of curiousity, if you were to find something you like from them, say if you bought a sample...Would you buy a bottle of this from Bond or Saks? Or from a grey market dealer?

Ebay isn't a bad idea, but I personally won't use it under any circumstances. It's a cesspool of scammers and I refuse to contribute. There are other reasons as well, but suffice to say, I freaking hate Ebay. They are propping up the counterfeit fragrance industry and making huge profits off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Out of curiousity, if you were to find something you like from them, say if you bought a sample...Would you buy a bottle of this from Bond or Saks? Or from a grey market dealer?
    None of the above at this point.
    Last edited by Shaheen; 16th July 2014 at 06:43 AM.

Whoops duplicate

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post

I guess they have endless money and don't need mine.
    Quite the contrary. I got a call from them offering me a buy two get the third free or something like that. Then after that didn't work they did something different which was, pay 1k and they'll send you three fragrances each season or two I forget. Needless to say no other company does this niche or designer and I believe poor sales are to blame
    Seasonal rotation:

Ciel Man
    Windsor
    Scandal Pour Homme
    Santal Imperial
    Millesime Imperial
    Currently wearing: Orange Spice by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    Quite the contrary. I got a call from them offering me a buy two get the third free or something like that. Then after that didn't work they did something different which was, pay 1k and they'll send you three fragrances each season or two I forget. Needless to say no other company does this niche or designer and I believe poor sales are to blame
    They should find a way to make samples available to people it might help their cause. I can get the most highly regarded fragrances at basenotes from different, reputable, decant shops online, but not these arrogant folks.

They are their own worst enemy.

...congrats...!
    Currently wearing: Équipage by Hermès

Yup, good for you!

A few years ago when the local stockist decided to dump the line in Hong Kong the SA gave me bonbon samples of everything they had - I honestly couldn't find one I would spend money on, even at half price.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 16th July 2014 at 11:38 AM.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

I have gotten all my Bond samples (not that many....maybe 6 or 7) from eBay sellers who had good feedback and I never had a problem.

If I find something I like, I buy from others here on Basenotes, Crystal Flacon or Fragrancenet.
    Basenotes sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...rsace-SAMPLES!

Offsite sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Tom Ford Noir de Noir, By Kilian Prelude to Love, Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Versace l'Homme by Versace

I had been wondering why I couldn't find any samples for Bond No. 9 anywhere. This explains it. Fragrance companies should know: No samples, no purchase. Places like Surrender to Chance do the fragrance companies a great service. It's now clear that I won't buy anything from Bond No. 9.

Won't be missing much IMO. Not a fan.

They are a mixed bag, mostly bad. I had a great experience in their NY boutique...I dropped about $350, so they gave me and my family tons of freebies, including a full size tester, tshirts and lots of samples.

Then they had the audacity to have eBay pull an authentic bottle I was selling on there.

On the phone, they are very curt. And they have called me before as well. Very snobby overall, and maybe they're failing. I've never heard a celeb tout them.

Well, that blows. Considering their prices, they really ought to get their act together and have samples available.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    So after a year or two hiatus from the fragrance hobby, I've been dabbling again lately. Sniffing and researching new scents, and revisiting fragrances that I sampled years ago and enjoyed but never purchased. Among other brands, I have a list of about 11 Bond scents that I would like to sample.

Checked Scented Monkey's website, realized they no longer offer decants at all. Ok fine.

Checked Perfumed Court's website, realize Bond No. 9 is no longer listed. Ok....

I check Bond's website, cannot find the section to purchase samples. I've purchased samples from them before, but the option to do so is no longer available on their site.

I do some brief research on Basenotes and discover that Bond went after Perfumed Court and possibly other online decanters and issued cease and desist orders. Alrighty then....

I pick up the phone and call Bond's customer service number, which I believe is the NY boutique itself. I explain that I would like to purchase samples of their products, as I have in the past. Last time I sampled their products, I purchased a large bottle of New Haarlem. She informs me that they no longer offer samples. She advises me to travel to Saks to try their products. I inform her that I live in WV and we don't have a Saks in this state. She chuckles to herself, and then asks me for my city and state. I give her my info, and she confirms that there's no Saks in my state, and chuckles again. Yeah, I already knew that. Then there's like 7 seconds of silence while she waits for me to say something further. So I once again ask her if she has any solution to accommodate me, as I'm a returning customer. She advises that I drive to the closest Saks. I inform her that it's a 3.5 hour drive out of state. She says to me "sorry about your luck" in so many words, chuckles a 3rd time, and so I tell her thanks anyway and hang up.

By scouring, strong-arming, and stripping the Internet of all samples/decants (including their official samples), Bond has purposely created a situation where I cannot easily sample any of their products. This is ridiculous. I've never had a problem sampling products from other brands. I have contacted Mugler, Hermes, Guerlain, and other companies and have always had pleasant experiences. The majority of these companies have promptly sent me samples at no charge after confirming that there's no boutique in my state, and thus no way for me to sample their products.

Well here I am pleading with Bond to allow me to PAY THEM for these samples, and they refuse while laughing at my situation. WTF

I know that Bond doesn't get much love on these forums, but I've always kept an open mind (err..nose) and never had a problem with them. Until now that is.

My only real recourse is to vote with my dollar, and they won't be getting any more money from me. I'm done with 'em.
    I'm from WV originally. I've been treated like crap by jerks in upscale stores as well. They're just so superior. When I now say I'm from Georgia, I get treated better. Come on. It can give one a complex and if I let it, it can put a chip on my shoulder. Ignorance is everywhere.

Guess Bond No. 9 won't be putting a boutique in The Greenbrier Resort! Or rather, I doubt they'd have them!

I love several of their fragrances, but their business practices are among the worst for sure.

Threats against The Perfumed Court, threats against other fragrance companies over the use of "peace", no longer offering bon-bons on their website, etc... i still can't believe they removed the bon-bon purchase option from their website.

I can certainly see why you are done with them. They have some good stuff, but if they are going to make it difficult, move on. Better businesses to deal with for sure.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Creed - Virgin Island Water
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Creed - Original Cologne
    10. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men

Redundant thread for Bond haters...
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Redundant thread for Bond haters...
    I agree.

That's terrible that you've had such bad experience! I'm personally a fan of Bond, but I do think they should focus on quality over quantity. Sometimes you have to pick through a lot of weeks in order to find some roses.

Have you ever registered for their Bond9 club? I did when I got my first bottle, and I get random samples in the mail at least twice a year. I also got a large decant of SOP for him (even though I already own a bottle). I also have the SA at Sak's calling me up whenever there is a sale (which I have to admit is kind of annoying, but I really don't mind).
    Currently wearing: Nautica Classic by Nautica

Bummer I totally have no love for this house and I'm a native New Yorker that lives in NYC and have access to all they offer at a moments time and trust me you're not missing on anything spectacular from them at any level IMO.
    Last edited by magnus611; 16th July 2014 at 01:38 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Just not worth the hassle IMO. OP - your attitude is totally understandable to me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    They are a mixed bag, mostly bad. I had a great experience in their NY boutique...I dropped about $350, so they gave me and my family tons of freebies, including a full size tester, tshirts and lots of samples.

Then they had the audacity to have eBay pull an authentic bottle I was selling on there.

On the phone, they are very curt. And they have called me before as well. Very snobby overall, and maybe they're failing. I've never heard a celeb tout them.
    Can they really do that? It's your property to sell as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by the1picard View Post
    Can they really do that? It's your property to sell as you wish.
    Yes, you would think that! I actually purchased that bottle STRAIGHT from the store in NYC! WOW.

I, too, totally understand your attitude and frustration. I'd noticed the same thing when I tried to sample Bond #9. It's easier for me to get to Saks than it is for you, but really, why in the world should I do that, when there are loads of other companies that make it easy for me to try their fragrances? Have the confidence to let customers sample, Bond! Going around threatening the online sample shops is particularly irritating to me... whether I liked Bond or not, it's not in my interest to support a company that is behaving this way, since I'm so dependent on those sample shops to guide my purchasing decisions. I am actually positively motivated to avoid them and counsel others to do the same, lest other businesses be tempted to follow their model.
    Last edited by Uvalde; 16th July 2014 at 03:48 PM.

How much a dollar cost

Quote Originally Posted by Uvalde View Post
    I, too, totally understand your attitude and frustration. I'd noticed the same thing when I tried to sample Bond #9. It's easier for me to get to Saks than it is for you, but really, why in the world should I do that, when there are loads of other companies that make it easy for me to try their fragrances? Have the confidence to let customers sample, Bond! Going around threatening the online sample shops is particularly irritating to me... whether I liked Bond or not, it's not in my interest to support a company that is behaving this way, since I'm so dependent on those sample shops to guide my purchasing decisions.
    I actually have a thread looking for niche suggestions and Bond no.9 was one of them. I had heard of them before, I know some people that have a few of their scents. So I've been looking for samples at the regular places, and oddly found none available. Then I find this thread.

I'm a strong advocate of fighting with my wallet. I don't care how good the quality, if I don't care for the business practices I won't support the company. I'll be scratching this off my list of things to try. There's plenty of other houses that I can readily get samples of.

Tsk tsk.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed