Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 191
  1. #91
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    139

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    I got a few candy wrapper samples on Saturday. Went to try them today and 3 of them had leaked. Anyone else encountered that?

  2. #92
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,260

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Wowsers, bummer OP. I'd be hacked too.

    I have several Bonds that I like, and I have my eye on a few more for the Fall/Winter. I'm lucky in that I have a local Saks that I have bought from, but there are a lot of other competitors for the consumers' dollars, and after reading this thread I'm going to have to consider whether I should be supporting this particular company any further.

  3. #93
    Basenotes Institution dougczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    12,298

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by Tollers View Post
    I got a few candy wrapper samples on Saturday. Went to try them today and 3 of them had leaked. Anyone else encountered that?
    Ouch. No. I have probably had about 40 bon bons over the last few years (both the original stopper style and the new sprayer style) and never had a problem. That is unfortunate.
    Current Summer Favorites:

    1. Creed - Original Cologne
    2. Xerjoff - Nio
    3. Creed - Aventus
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    7. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    8. Dior - Homme Sport 2012
    9. Tom Ford - Rive d'Ambre
    10. Creed - Virgin Island Water

  4. #94

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    I don't have a clue about their service level, but their fragrances doesn't impress me much..

  5. #95

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    I knew better than to get started with them after sampling half a dozen or so. They always seemed to be a B version of the Creed house to me.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Santal by Floris

  6. #96
    Basenotes Member CaptainMiguel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southern California (at the beach)
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    I've had nothing but negative experience's with their new york boutique. Pushy, generally unfriendly SA. I took my mother into the city, and while I was there she asked for two samples, and then I did. SA said no, they only give out two per customer. I responded that I was not my mother, and she didn't care. Third time I'd been in there, and also my last time bothering with anything Bond. I'm not surprised by any of the comments in this thread.
    So weird. Every time I've gone into Saks to browse fragrances, no matter what I am looking for, the ladies behind the counter do the hard push with Bond No. 9. Seriously, I could say something like "Hi... I'm looking for L'instant de Guerlain" and the next thing I know, they are trying to spray some Bond No. 9 fragrance on me. It's a really tacky approach, like something I'd expect from a shady used car dealership. The last couple of times, before they were about to reach for the Bond No. 9 bottles, I told them that I am not interested in Bond and they looked at me like I was a complete A-hole.

  7. #97
    Dependent tonghpafu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,865

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMiguel View Post
    So weird. Every time I've gone into Saks to browse fragrances, no matter what I am looking for, the ladies behind the counter do the hard push with Bond No. 9. Seriously, I could say something like "Hi... I'm looking for L'instant de Guerlain" and the next thing I know, they are trying to spray some Bond No. 9 fragrance on me. It's a really tacky approach, like something I'd expect from a shady used car dealership. The last couple of times, before they were about to reach for the Bond No. 9 bottles, I told them that I am not interested in Bond and they looked at me like I was a complete A-hole.
    Damn, that is tacky. A SA I know at Niemans used to work at Bond and she didn't have anything good to say when I asked about her experience there.

  8. #98

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    Well here I am pleading with Bond to allow me to PAY THEM for these samples, and they refuse while laughing at my situation. WTF

    I know that Bond doesn't get much love on these forums, but I've always kept an open mind (err..nose) and never had a problem with them. Until now that is.

    My only real recourse is to vote with my dollar, and they won't be getting any more money from me. I'm done with 'em.
    Laughing at where someone who is unable to sample a product in-store is unacceptable. You echo what Gaia Fishler of The Non-Blonde feels, who saved $230.

    Read on:

    http://www.thenonblonde.com/2008/01/...l#.U88zB7Hrx0g

    http://www.thenonblonde.com/2008/01/...l#.U88zmLHrx0h
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

  9. #99
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,711

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    So glad to have this timely information from 2008! Time to move on to the next hated house or perfume methinks.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea


    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

  10. #100
    Dependent cytherian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    On a cliff overlooking Manhattan
    Posts
    1,610

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Very cool flacons. Very "New York". But that's about the only appeal for me as well. Their fragrances... well, some are decent. But then you see the price and it's like WHAT? No thank you. Add an attitude? Forget about it. This is NOT the first I've heard of Bond No. 9 snobbery.

    To laugh at the OP when mentioning West Virginia... I can see it, some hipster bohemian thinking to herself "I have a West By-God Virginia hickster here, LOL" Well, if Bond No 9 is going to hire such people, let them have their exclusive little club and languish in sales.

    I went to Le Labo and found the staff there a very mixed bag. One woman who assisted me only offered for me to sniff STALE test strips. I requested a "freshen" spray and she reluctantly took out the bottle and lightly tapped it, applying a very slight moisture to the strip... and I met her condescending gaze. Meanwhile, I was pleasantly dressed and certainly didn't look like a person without money. I was also pleasant towards them... but did not get that kind of attitude in return. Thankfully more people came in and she went off to assist them, which afforded me the opportunity to spray the bottles as I pleased. And in the end, I didn't find anything so outstanding to deserve my patronage. I left. I have a feeling the Bond No. 9 store would be a similar experience. I still plan to stop by sometime, just for my own edification. But frankly, a thread like this helps color this house unfavorably for me.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

  11. #101

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Bad indeed. However I know 2 shops where I leave (Netherlands) that are offering samples of anything they sale. The only downside is that the samples aren't original, but decanted by themselves into 1.5ml. One of the shop I believe delivers worldwide as well but the prices are insane.
    You would have to pay 10 euros for 5 samples of your choice, each 1.5ml and 30 for the delivery.

  12. #102

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Very cool flacons. Very "New York". But that's about the only appeal for me as well. Their fragrances... well, some are decent. But then you see the price and it's like WHAT? No thank you. Add an attitude? Forget about it. This is NOT the first I've heard of Bond No. 9 snobbery.

    To laugh at the OP when mentioning West Virginia... I can see it, some hipster bohemian thinking to herself "I have a West By-God Virginia hickster here, LOL" Well, if Bond No 9 is going to hire such people, let them have their exclusive little club and languish in sales.

    I went to Le Labo and found the staff there a very mixed bag. One woman who assisted me only offered for me to sniff STALE test strips. I requested a "freshen" spray and she reluctantly took out the bottle and lightly tapped it, applying a very slight moisture to the strip... and I met her condescending gaze. Meanwhile, I was pleasantly dressed and certainly didn't look like a person without money. I was also pleasant towards them... but did not get that kind of attitude in return. Thankfully more people came in and she went off to assist them, which afforded me the opportunity to spray the bottles as I pleased. And in the end, I didn't find anything so outstanding to deserve my patronage. I left. I have a feeling the Bond No. 9 store would be a similar experience. I still plan to stop by sometime, just for my own edification. But frankly, a thread like this helps color this house unfavorably for me.
    Thankfully, my little family was treated very well in the NYC boutique. But mixed results over the phone. Tricky. And pricey.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

  13. #103

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Every once in a while someone asks for a definition of "niche." Is it possible that Bond No. 9 has decided to be "niche"? And if so, isn't that their right? It's their business, so their business model. It will either work or it won't.
    It's my understanding that "niche" is the opposite of "designer." Designer, meaning that they sell other items besides fragrance (such as clothing and the like). Niche would then designate a company that specializes in fragrance. According to that definition, niche would clearly include Bond No. 9 ... not to mention that I've never seen a Sephora sell this brand.
    Last edited by BoneCollector; 23rd July 2014 at 11:48 PM.

  14. #104

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
    It's my understanding that "niche" is the opposite of "designer." Designer, meaning that they sell other items besides fragrance (such as clothing and the like). Niche would then designate a company that specializes in fragrance. According to that definition, niche would clearly include Bond No. 9 ... not to mention that I've never seen a Sephora sell this brand.
    Sephora carries it online, but as said only the "I Love New York" line. I think people use the designer/niche designation loosely around here. Speaking specifically, you're absolutely accurate - but more generally, "designer" is a label that is ascribed to fragrances of mediocre creativity, made-for-mass-consumption formulas, and typically lower prices. By the latter definition, the "I Love New York" line might barely fit the bill.
    Last edited by OlfactoryExperience; 24th July 2014 at 12:12 AM.
    Spring/Summer Rotation:

    Versace Pour Homme
    Kenzo Pour Homme (vintage)
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (vintage)
    D& G Masculine
    Christian Dior Dune
    Guerlain Homme (EDT)
    Bond No9 Riverside Drive

    If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

    - OE (olfactoryexperience)

  15. #105
    Dependent Wheatstraw2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Ok, I've never had any interaction with Bond, even though I could probably walk into the store fifty times a year and not go out of my way. Now, I can't explain this. Maybe I see tacky bottles and that's about it. Or maybe I'm just really leery of being the only customer in a small store and there's too much social pressure to buy something.

    On the one hand, I feel your pain. It reminds me of the first time I walked into the Plaza Athenee - booked at full freight well in advance - and being treated like dogshit for five days. There's a Plaza Athenee in nyc and I would sooner pees on zare sidewalk than go in there and spend a nickel.

    But there's a common thread to our experiences. You know what you just ran into? Really old-school French marketing. "Oh, so you like zees one? Yes? (pause) You cannot aave eet! We do not sell to just anyone! Your munnay eez not enough! To get our attention, you must suffare! You must bleed!"

    I freakin hate it. I'm like, I really didn't want your 2 horsepower, can't afford air conditioning, one cube of ice in a small glass cocktail, jambon sandwich of a perfume line anyway. This was the way old French restaurants worked. Who didn't know about the stereotypical image of the rude, imperious French maitre'd? So strong was this conditioning that when Chanel opened their 57th Street store (long time ago) I walked in for the first time fully expecting to be abused. But it wasn't that way at all; they have the best customer service in the city. There are still a couple of old timers there who are thorough, what's the word I'm looking for, well.....but for a long time it's mostly been the opposite.

    On the other hand, I have to admire Bond for the tight distribution. Good for them that they haven't whored their souls off for volume like everyone else has. People talk about their exclusive products. It's almost never true. Now you know what "exclusive" really means because you got excluded.

    Now you've tempted me to try my luck. Certainly, fewer people will be wearing Bond than, say, Creed. That's worth something.
    Last edited by Wheatstraw2; 24th July 2014 at 06:00 AM. Reason: everything can be improved upon
    Currently wearing: Agar Attar by Agar Aura

  16. #106

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    Ebay isn't a bad idea, but I personally won't use it under any circumstances. It's a cesspool of scammers and I refuse to contribute. There are other reasons as well, but suffice to say, I freaking hate Ebay. They are propping up the counterfeit fragrance industry and making huge profits off of it.



    None of the above at this point.

    Not really, you have to look at ratings and feedback. I have purchased almost 80 fragrances off Ebay, with no issues save for once.
    Samples are never fake, it would not be economical to do so. Ebay is the best place to get samples, discontinued fragrances and foreign releases.

    Honestly Bond as a house is passe IMO, they do have a few nice fragrances, though most are knock offs coupled with their tacky bottles, over priced fragrances, shitty PR, horrible customer service just leave a bad taste. I have met the owner of Bond, Laurice Rahme and she came across as a total bitch, I am not surprised that attitude resonates in the company.
    Last edited by Vinrambo09; 24th July 2014 at 06:10 AM.

  17. #107

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    I freakin hate it. I'm like, I really didn't want your 2 horsepower, can't afford air conditioning, one cube of ice in a small glass cocktail, jambon sandwich of a perfume line anyway. This was the way old French restaurants worked. Who didn't know about the stereotypical image of the rude, imperious French maitre'd? So strong was this conditioning that when Chanel opened their 57th Street store (long time ago) I walked in for the first time fully expecting to be abused. But it wasn't that way at all; they have the best customer service in the city. There are still a couple of old timers there who are thorough, what's the word I'm looking for, well.....but for a long time it's mostly been the opposite.
    Agreed! When I used to go to the Chanel Boutique at the Bellagio in Las Vegas the customer service was really kind, the SA went through many of the Exclusifs with me, spraying each on a nice scent strip and we both exchanged opinions, good and bad. They were always really cool about the fragrances, more times than not we would end up shooting the sh*t about fragrances in general; no pressure to buy. I did buy from that Boutique but i was treated the same whether i bought or not. And BTW Chanel is probably the best business model of product control and distribution without being snobbish about it, of course this is just my opinion.

  18. #108

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    I feel your pain, OP.

    I'm not from West Virginia, but I'm from a very small, rural town in southwest Virginia, and there are literally no places closeby to sample fragrances. One must drive a lengthy amount to get to anywhere to do so.

    The positive side to all of this, for me, is that fragrances asides from AdG, Cool Water, Old Spice and Axe are rare around here among other guys, leaving me to feel a little unique.

  19. #109
    Dependent sdotlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,159

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
    It's my understanding that "niche" is the opposite of "designer." Designer, meaning that they sell other items besides fragrance (such as clothing and the like). Niche would then designate a company that specializes in fragrance. According to that definition, niche would clearly include Bond No. 9 ... not to mention that I've never seen a Sephora sell this brand.
    Niche, to me, means high priced and not easily available at stores. You have to go to high end stores like Neimans, or boutiques to find them. Dior / Chanel / Tom Ford make niche stuff, and also clothing, etc.

  20. #110
    Dependent sdotlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,159

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post

    On the other hand, I have to admire Bond for the tight distribution. Good for them that they haven't whored their souls off for volume like everyone else has. People talk about their exclusive products. It's almost never true. Now you know what "exclusive" really means because you got excluded.

    Now you've tempted me to try my luck. Certainly, fewer people will be wearing Bond than, say, Creed. That's worth something.
    They don't have tighter distribution though. They're available at online discount stores, just like Creed. You can buy them at Nordstroms in most cases. Sephora carries one series of their stuff. So they aren't like Chanel, where you can't find Bleu de Chanel or Allure online ANYWHERE.

    What they do do is, threaten online stores that provide samples with litigation to stop them from providing samples. They also do not provide samples themselves. You can buy their crap on Fragrancenet.com or Fragrancex.com. You just can't find any samples from any of the online sample spots (theperfumedcourt, lucky scent, etc.), because they've threatened them with litigation.

    As I said before, this to me reeks of them wanting to drive people into stores where you have SA's breathing down your neck pushing the product, and not being able to live up to someone sampling the product without that.

    And no, just as many people wear Bond than Creed. New Haarlem and Bleecker are the GiT and Aventus of Bond. They're hyped all over youtube and easily available online. You just can't buy samples online to try before you buy.

  21. #111
    Basenotes Plus
    mixerscent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,591

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Today I tried my Bond No.9 Scent of Peace for Him, I felt sorry for my lungs. Cheap materials, thought I was smelling sweetened drain cleaner.

  22. #112

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    Today I tried my Bond No.9 Scent of Peace for Him, I felt sorry for my lungs. Cheap materials, thought I was smelling sweetened drain cleaner.
    Ouch!
    Currently wearing: Poivre 23 by Le Labo

  23. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,377

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    Today I tried my Bond No.9 Scent of Peace for Him, I felt sorry for my lungs. Cheap materials, thought I was smelling sweetened drain cleaner.
    For me it made a good first impression but the more times I wear it the less impressed I am. It has fantastic longevity and projection but there is an off note in the mid and late stages that smells a bit synthetic. Bond sent me a 10ml sample and once it's gone I won't be buying a bottle..

  24. #114
    Dependent bigbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Oregon
    Posts
    3,249

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    For me it made a good first impression but the more times I wear it the less impressed I am. It has fantastic longevity and projection but there is an off note in the mid and late stages that smells a bit synthetic. Bond sent me a 10ml sample and once it's gone I won't be buying a bottle..
    I was the opposite of you, thought it smelt really weird and feminine the first time I wore it.(peaches and laundry musk drydown?) But have liked it much more with subsequent wearing’s. And your right, there is a strange off-putting note in there that lasts throughout the fragrance. Which is a VERY long time btw. I used just three sprays from one of their sample Bon-Bons, and I'm not evening joking about how strong and overwhelming it was with just that lite of an application. I can't imagine how you’d wear it out of an actual bottle?(one spray to the chest perhaps?)

  25. #115

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Must honestly say that though never tried single one of this line, i have very strong prejudices and suspicions about this particular brand and especially it's value for money.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

    Signature: Rochas Macassar (Nicolas Mamounas / Roger Pellegrino, 1980)

    Current Top 7:

    Chanel Antaeus (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1981)
    Terre d' Hermes EDT (2006-2009) (Jean-Claude Ellena, 2006)
    Green Irish Tweed (Probably Oliver Creed / Pierre Bourdon, 1985)
    Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (Gilles Romey, 1993)
    Bleu de Chanel EDP (Jaques Polge, 2014)
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (vtg) (Max Gavary, 1994)
    Chanel Allure Homme (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1999)

  26. #116

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    Must honestly say that though never tried single one of this line, i have very strong prejudices and suspicions about this particular brand and especially it's value for money.
    Test any given fragrance and you will probably have your suspicions confirmed. I keep attempting to sample this line - most are scrubbers, and only some are average. But where Bond is average, it is most decidedly average. Certainly not worth the money.

  27. #117

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Never cared for this house
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  28. #118
    SportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,071

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    I never cared for this house, either.

    I really do appreciate this thread, it's been a very interesting read, that's for sure. Thanks to the OP for sharing his experience as well as all the others who have contributed to it. I just had a feeling that this particular house wasn't one to hold in high regard, and the posts in this thread have helped to reassure me that my thinking was correct.

  29. #119

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    To the people that say that they've never cared for this house... are you basing that on the scents (many are derivative of existing scents) or due to the Laurice Rahme's policies and doings?

    Just curious.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread

  30. #120

    Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    To the people that say that they've never cared for this house... are you basing that on the scents (many are derivative of existing scents) or due to the Laurice Rahme's policies and doings?

    Just curious.
    If it's any indication, I had to Wikipedia the name. Never heard of Laurice Rahme.

    But no, I'm basing it entirely on the scents. And it is not that they are derivative - being unoriginal is tolerable. What irks me is an obvious lack of quality. At first I thought it was my skin, but I've gone testing with a number of other people and all of them find the house to be repulsive.

    There are dozens of designers that I'd take over almost anything in the line.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 7th September 2012, 04:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000