Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: I'm done with Bond No. 9

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post

Every once in a while someone asks for a definition of "niche." Is it possible that Bond No. 9 has decided to be "niche"? And if so, isn't that their right? It's their business, so their business model. It will either work or it won't.
    Mocha, yes, it's definitely their right, and their business model, and I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. But keep in mind, Bond #9 didn't just not offer samples, as what apparently happened in the case you cited with Jack ... instead, Bond #9 doesn't offer samples, and spent time and money litigating and motioning places like eBay to ensure that no one could sell samples. As a consumer and perfume lover, I hope that business model withers and dies, it works directly against my interests, and I hope other consumers agree. And just as it's Bond #9's right to build a business model, it's the consumer's right to see that that business model is something they shouldn't support in any way.

That's all ignoring the just plain bad service, but that can happen to any company once

Quote Originally Posted by HankHarvey View Post
    I think you're right. They have a right to their own business model.
    From my own experience, it wasn't the refusal to give samples, it was the attitude that went along with the refusal and how ridiculous it was in that situation. And the rudeness of the staff. From what the OP said in the opening post, they chuckled at him. If the business model is rude and condescending, you are correct, they have every right to be that way if that is their wish. It is a poor choice.
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Uvalde View Post
    Mocha, yes, it's definitely their right, and their business model, and I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. But keep in mind, Bond #9 didn't just not offer samples, as what apparently happened in the case you cited with Jack ... instead, Bond #9 doesn't offer samples, and spent time and money litigating and motioning places like eBay to ensure that no one could sell samples. As a consumer and perfume lover, I hope that business model withers and dies, it works directly against my interests, and I hope other consumers agree. And just as it's Bond #9's right to build a business model, it's the consumer's right to see that that business model is something they shouldn't support in any way.

That's all ignoring the just plain bad service, but that can happen to any company once
    1. I totally agree. That's why I agree with the OP and would have reached the same conclusion as he. I personally have never tried their fragrances, and I don't blind buy. I do however buy samples. But they don't make samples available. So unless I stumble across a store stocking Bond No. 9, I will never try their perfumes and certainly never buy one. So I don't fit their business model myself. I'm okay with that, honestly. And if I lived down the street from their store, I probably would try their stuff and be okay with that.

2. I totally agree. The salesperson refused to find a solution to a customer's problem. That's bad service, especially for a luxury product.

I guess I can't get that up in arms about the crackdown on decants and samples sold by third parties. I wouldn't do that if it were my business. However, perhaps they have experienced third parties selling watered down or fake decants or samples. Perhaps they are afraid that could happen and therefore could harm consumers' opinion of their perfume. Perhaps they think decants or samples might harm their image. Perhpas it's an intellectual property thing. Perhaps, as someone said, they just find they make more money if people can only buy a full bottle.

Or perhaps they want complete and total control of their product and how it reaches customers. Perhaps they believe that only the full bottle -- with the artful bottle designs -- gives the complete aesthetic experience they want consumers to have. I remember that Andy Tauer said something similar once. I know this is arguable, and that many, many of us prefer samples and decants and indeed find that an economic necessity.

I'm just throwing these possibilities out there. I have no idea what really motivates them.

Lol so I think I understand the frustration but ultimately you're taking your anger out on the whole company based on your experience with one sales representative. The eBay and Perfumed Court, strong-arm tactics are further example of the aggressive business strategy of the company's leadership. If you know anything about Bond's founding, then this isn't completely a surprise. They're trying to limit the exposure of their high-end product. Reason being: they want to ensure that people are purchasing the products from them so they can: a) make money off as many sales as possible; b) limit brand stigmatization due to market saturation with dubious products bearing their name. Not condoning it but Bond is far from the most despicable company. If you like their products, buy them. If not, don't. But posts like these just encourage negative group-think based on an insignificant number of experiences. I've had nothing but great service from Bond in Cleveland and Raleigh.
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garons
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9
    Soon to include "Ab Spirit Silver"

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Fragrancevials.com has 23 different Bond BonBons for sale.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I like Bond No. 9, I have bottles of Hamptons and Coney Island, and samples from EBay of a number of others (Wall Street, Riverside Drive, Chez Bond to name a few). But it would be nice if they sold samples from their website, even if they don't want third party sites selling them. I'd really like to try Harrods Swarovski Limited Edition, but I really don't want to blind buy something that's $330, and there's no way to try that one, I've never seen samples of it on EBay.
    Last edited by ajs41072; 17th July 2014 at 04:07 AM.

I have a sneaking suspicion also, that the bon bons served as a warning to not proceed further as well. This wouldn't be a problem if they produced high-quality desirable fragrances. I ordered a bottle of Bleeker Street once from their NYC store on Bleeker St. It had always been sprayed and used. They told me they had a quality control person to spray each and every bottle to make sure it works. I told her I've never been told such cockery as no other bottles I've encountered had been sprayed - was the quality control personnel taking a nap?? Also, that new 1st spray experience should be for the purchaser that just spent nearly $300 to behold. So, apparently they are liars as well.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by OlfactoryExperience View Post
    Lol so I think I understand the frustration but ultimately you're taking your anger out on the whole company based on your experience with one sales representative. The eBay and Perfumed Court, strong-arm tactics are further example of the aggressive business strategy of the company's leadership. If you know anything about Bond's founding, then this isn't completely a surprise. They're trying to limit the exposure of their high-end product. Reason being: they want to ensure that people are purchasing the products from them so they can: a) make money off as many sales as possible; b) limit brand stigmatization due to market saturation with dubious products bearing their name. Not condoning it but Bond is far from the most despicable company. If you like their products, buy them. If not, don't. But posts like these just encourage negative group-think based on an insignificant number of experiences. I've had nothing but great service from Bond in Cleveland and Raleigh.
    You call it aggressive business strategy, I call it terrible customer relations. Either way, I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

How do I know if I like their products if I have no convenient way to try them after Bond scoured the Internet and removed all samples, including their own official samples? Sure, I can drive almost 4 hours out of state to the nearest Saks......or I can order samples from one of Bond's competitors.

You do understand that Bond has made it extremely difficult for many of us to sample their products before deciding on a purchase, right? I'm not willing to shell out $250 for a fragrance that Bond has gone out of their way to ensure that I cannot try ahead of time. I don't agree with these types of business tactics.

To each their own.
    Last edited by Shaheen; 17th July 2014 at 05:47 AM.

I do understand and I'm sorry that you can't access their collection more readily. But there are many brands that don't offer samples and are very hard to come by, even more scarce than the Saks Fifth chain. Comme Des Garons is a great example, and yet they have not changed their business model to improve the customer network. These high-end brands do entertain an inflated sense of self in that they want you to come get the full boutique experience and are content to limit their market share to "privileged" clientele. That is pretty clear to me by the almost laughable retail prices. But you just can't get that experience over websites like LuckyScents, eBay, etc.

I'll will say this: they may argue that it's all about managing the brands image, but maybe someone who posted earlier was right in that they don't really believe the products can stand up on their own? I don't know.
    Summer Rotation:

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori

love lots of their products

I have owned probably 20 different Bond scents. I currently own For Fathers and Montauk. They're not stellar scents and that's why I have sold/swapped off so many.

The greed is real. That's partially why I don't support houses like Bond, mediocre fragrances at high prices. Gouging on fragrances because they know people will buy them, since fragrance collecting is still so high in demand. While they may get their money from others, they won't see a dime from me. Creed as well. Maybe if they were more like Tom Ford, Diptyque, Hermes, and L'Artisan, I would have some respect for them. Not everyone lives in NYC and can access their boutiques, not everyone lives by high end department stores either. As far as buying samples goes.. ok.. understandable for something rare and discontinued floating around on ebay.. but I think having to buy samples is pretty stupid too, and I try to avoid it, and just swap with people on here. Whatever happened to free samples? Has the fragrance market really become so greedy, that they can't market their product with a free sample?
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    It's a nickle and dime approach that may save them a little money but they end up looking cheap and ungenerous, and who wants that? Apparently they don't care. Everyone else offer samples and take the (supposed) loss gracefully, because a good image is worth a great deal of money too.

But you know someone else who's stopped offering samples? Tom Ford. "Tom Ford doesn't believe in samples" the SA at Harrods told me, and that was after I'd bought a bottle of Tobacco Vanille. Nope, no samples for you! But they haven't tried to squash the decanters the way Bond did.
    I've found Tom Ford very good with samples when you buy something. Nice 5ml samples of your choice decanted in front of you.

Basenotes Plus

Contrast with Sephora. I know its apples and oranges, but short view is that they'd lose money. But come christmas, guess what gift certificate I'm asking for?

Bond definitely has a snobby attitude but I don't see why this is any different from Chanel tightly controlling their supply (notice you'll never see their bottles from discounters) or others who just don't provide samples. Samples aren't a way for them to make money; it takes a quick read of this thread to realize that people want free samples then purchase grey market or speak poorly of Bond. They wouldn't stay in business long if they didn't react to that, and they have. Bond sells to people who just want a nice expensive trendy fragrance; they're no Frederic Malle.

I don't see why you blame them for not shipping you samples when you also cast judgment on eBay sellers as "a cesspool of scammers." Plenty of Basenoters have had great experiences on ebay - just do your research on sellers.

Seems like one biased snob from West Virginia complaining about being out-snobbed by a biased company out in NYC.
    Last edited by throwbookatface; 17th July 2014 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by throwbookatface View Post
    Bond definitely has a snobby attitude but I don't see why this is any different from Chanel tightly controlling their supply (notice you'll never see their bottles from discounters) or others who just don't provide samples. Samples aren't a way for them to make money; it takes a quick read of this thread to realize that people want free samples then purchase grey market or speak poorly of Bond. They wouldn't stay in business long if they didn't react to that, and they have. Bond sells to people who just want a nice expensive trendy fragrance; they're no Frederic Malle.

I don't see why you blame them for not shipping you samples when you also cast judgment on eBay sellers as "a cesspool of scammers." Plenty of Basenoters have had great experiences on ebay - just do your research on sellers.

Seems like one biased snob from West Virginia complaining about being out-snobbed by a biased company out in NYC.
    Yep! Just ordered some Bond samples last night from Ebay as a matter of fact

Wow. Bit of a reach.

First of all, me choosing to avoid Ebay is an entirely separate issue altogether. I have had bad experiences as both a buyer and a seller over the years, and have decided not to use them anymore. That's my prerogative based on my own personal experiences. YMMV. What does me not using Ebay have to do with the fact that Bond put legal pressure on various companies to stop them from providing decants/samples of their products? Hint: It doesn't. The "cesspool" comment is based on all the fakes floating around on Ebay. How many threads have appeared over the years on Basenotes and other various fragrance forums regarding Creed and Chanel fakes for example? The overwhelming majority of these fakes come from.......drumroll please.............EBAY!

You're absolutely wrong about your assumptions. "Free samples" isn't the issue here, nor did I ever imply that I was attempting to obtain free samples from Bond. Quite the contrary. Once again, Bond used to offer a PAY FOR service to obtain samples directly from them, which I have PURCHASED in the past. They did away with this program. FURTHER MORE, they went after all online decanters as well as Ebay in order to prevent us from being able to PAY FOR and obtain samples by other means.

You need to work on your reading comprehension skills before throwing accusations around and being an all around jerk about it. And the name calling is very mature of you, I appreciate that.

I can understand you not agreeing with my opinions on this issue and that's fine. But my experience is my experience, and the fact of the matter is Bond has made it extremely difficult for someone in my position to sample their products, which I had easily been able to do in the past. That is my gripe with them. The strange customer service experience was just the icing on the cake, but not the breadth of the issue. Again, it's their brash strong-arm legal tactics that rub me the wrong way and makes me want to take my business elsewhere. You may not agree with that, but it's not that difficult to understand.
    Last edited by Shaheen; 18th July 2014 at 12:53 AM.

Are you 100% sure bondno9 does not sell samples? Last week I just ordered a bondno9.con (http) sample, directly from bondno9 and I just received it Today. To my surprise, they even added 2 additional samples for the same price. Taken what I said, I'm a little confused with the "no samples" theme. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by herbert7890 View Post
    Are you 100% sure bondno9 does not sell samples? Last week I just ordered a bondno9.con (http) sample, directly from bondno9 and I just received it Today. To my surprise, they even added 2 additional samples for the same price. Taken what I said, I'm a little confused with the "no samples" theme. Just my 2 cents.
    Off topic....but curious what you think about .com vs. SOP. Are they super close, do you and your wife prefer one alot of the other?

The HTTP sample is the only one they offer because the fragrance is an online exclusive. Samples for all other fragrances are no longer offered online or by phone. This was confirmed by the service representative I spoke to over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Off topic....but curious what you think about .com vs. SOP. Are they super close, do you and your wife prefer one alot of the other?
    My wife is absolutely Loving the HTTP also!!! I even sprayed both arms and let her decide, and she said "they are just both amazing". To me personally, they share the same "vibe" but SOPH goes greener (mostly from the vetiver) and somewhat a little darker than HTTP, while HTTP is more bright and citrus based. In other notes. HTTP's opening is EXTREMELY close to aventus opening (I could easily say 95-97% similar) and retains that opening for quite a while (never goes really smokey) and then becomes like a tarty citrus blend. I really believe both are amazing fragrances from Bondno9 (and this comes from a Creed fanboy who owns 2 full botlles of Aventus). HTTP could be a more casual scent for the day, while SOPH has a more intense vibe, that could be situable for any occasion, including evening activities. I will buy the 100 ml of HTTP soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    The HTTP sample is the only one they offer because the fragrance is an online exclusive. Samples for all other fragrances are no longer offered online or by phone. This was confirmed by the service representative I spoke to over the phone.
    Thank you for the correction! They probably sent me the 2 additional samples to fill the pack (which holds 3 samples). Good To know!

My wife is absolutely Loving the HTTP also!!! I even sprayed both arms and let her decide, and she said "they are just both amazing". To me personally, they share the same "vibe" but SOPH goes greener (mostly from the vetiver) and somewhat a little darker than HTTP, while HTTP is more bright and citrus based. In other notes. HTTP's opening is EXTREMELY close to aventus opening (I could easily say 95-97% similar) and retains that opening for quite a while (never goes really smokey) and then becomes like a tarty citrus blend. I really believe both are amazing fragrances from Bondno9 (and this comes from a Creed fanboy who owns 2 full botlles of Aventus). HTTP could be a more casual scent for the day, while SOPH has a more intense vibe, that could be situable for any occasion, including evening activities. I will buy the 100 ml of HTTP soon.
    Awesome, thanks for the breakdown Herbert! Yeah, I really like SoP(projection and longevity is outstanding!)and was always curious about HTTP.

Basenotes Plus

The fragrances they sell in sephora are part the "I Love New York" line. They are less expensive and are meant to be accessible for those who aren't willing to drop $200+ for the rest of their fragrances. Think of this line as a high end designer line, not necessarily niche but pretty good.
    Check out my Sale & Swap threads!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with them.
    Personally not a big fan of their fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion also, that the bon bons served as a warning to not proceed further as well. This wouldn't be a problem if they produced high-quality desirable fragrances. I ordered a bottle of Bleeker Street once from their NYC store on Bleeker St. It had always been sprayed and used. They told me they had a quality control person to spray each and every bottle to make sure it works. I told her I've never been told such cockery as no other bottles I've encountered had been sprayed - was the quality control personnel taking a nap?? Also, that new 1st spray experience should be for the purchaser that just spent nearly $300 to behold. So, apparently they are liars as well.
    I bought a bottle of Bond No 9 from Harrods and it came to me sealed but when I opened it it sprayed on the first spray. It has bugged me ever since. The other Bond bottle I bought at the same time took 5 sprays before anything came out.
    Top 5 current fragrances:

1. Creed Cedre Blanc
    2. Tom Ford Costa Azzurra
    3. Bond no 9 Montauk
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino

I'm from the UK and likewise im struggling to find samples would love to smell all bonds never had the oppertunity to.

I still have a butt load of samples from my visit to the NYC boutique two years ago. But no newer scents samples other than the SOPFM that I picked up in SF a few weeks back at Saks.

Basenotes Member

I got a few candy wrapper samples on Saturday. Went to try them today and 3 of them had leaked. Anyone else encountered that?

Basenotes Junkie

Wowsers, bummer OP. I'd be hacked too.

I have several Bonds that I like, and I have my eye on a few more for the Fall/Winter. I'm lucky in that I have a local Saks that I have bought from, but there are a lot of other competitors for the consumers' dollars, and after reading this thread I'm going to have to consider whether I should be supporting this particular company any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Tollers View Post
    I got a few candy wrapper samples on Saturday. Went to try them today and 3 of them had leaked. Anyone else encountered that?
    Ouch. No. I have probably had about 40 bon bons over the last few years (both the original stopper style and the new sprayer style) and never had a problem. That is unfortunate.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

I don't have a clue about their service level, but their fragrances doesn't impress me much..

I knew better than to get started with them after sampling half a dozen or so. They always seemed to be a B version of the Creed house to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    I've had nothing but negative experience's with their new york boutique. Pushy, generally unfriendly SA. I took my mother into the city, and while I was there she asked for two samples, and then I did. SA said no, they only give out two per customer. I responded that I was not my mother, and she didn't care. Third time I'd been in there, and also my last time bothering with anything Bond. I'm not surprised by any of the comments in this thread.
    So weird. Every time I've gone into Saks to browse fragrances, no matter what I am looking for, the ladies behind the counter do the hard push with Bond No. 9. Seriously, I could say something like "Hi... I'm looking for L'instant de Guerlain" and the next thing I know, they are trying to spray some Bond No. 9 fragrance on me. It's a really tacky approach, like something I'd expect from a shady used car dealership. The last couple of times, before they were about to reach for the Bond No. 9 bottles, I told them that I am not interested in Bond and they looked at me like I was a complete A-hole.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMiguel View Post
    So weird. Every time I've gone into Saks to browse fragrances, no matter what I am looking for, the ladies behind the counter do the hard push with Bond No. 9. Seriously, I could say something like "Hi... I'm looking for L'instant de Guerlain" and the next thing I know, they are trying to spray some Bond No. 9 fragrance on me. It's a really tacky approach, like something I'd expect from a shady used car dealership. The last couple of times, before they were about to reach for the Bond No. 9 bottles, I told them that I am not interested in Bond and they looked at me like I was a complete A-hole.
    Damn, that is tacky. A SA I know at Niemans used to work at Bond and she didn't have anything good to say when I asked about her experience there.

Well here I am pleading with Bond to allow me to PAY THEM for these samples, and they refuse while laughing at my situation. WTF

I know that Bond doesn't get much love on these forums, but I've always kept an open mind (err..nose) and never had a problem with them. Until now that is.

My only real recourse is to vote with my dollar, and they won't be getting any more money from me. I'm done with 'em.
    Laughing at where someone who is unable to sample a product in-store is unacceptable. You echo what Gaia Fishler of The Non-Blonde feels, who saved $230.

Read on:

http://www.thenonblonde.com/2008/01/...l#.U88zB7Hrx0g

http://www.thenonblonde.com/2008/01/...l#.U88zmLHrx0h
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

So glad to have this timely information from 2008! Time to move on to the next hated house or perfume methinks.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Very cool flacons. Very "New York". But that's about the only appeal for me as well. Their fragrances... well, some are decent. But then you see the price and it's like WHAT? No thank you. Add an attitude? Forget about it. This is NOT the first I've heard of Bond No. 9 snobbery.

To laugh at the OP when mentioning West Virginia... I can see it, some hipster bohemian thinking to herself "I have a West By-God Virginia hickster here, LOL" Well, if Bond No 9 is going to hire such people, let them have their exclusive little club and languish in sales.

I went to Le Labo and found the staff there a very mixed bag. One woman who assisted me only offered for me to sniff STALE test strips. I requested a "freshen" spray and she reluctantly took out the bottle and lightly tapped it, applying a very slight moisture to the strip... and I met her condescending gaze. Meanwhile, I was pleasantly dressed and certainly didn't look like a person without money. I was also pleasant towards them... but did not get that kind of attitude in return. Thankfully more people came in and she went off to assist them, which afforded me the opportunity to spray the bottles as I pleased. And in the end, I didn't find anything so outstanding to deserve my patronage. I left. I have a feeling the Bond No. 9 store would be a similar experience. I still plan to stop by sometime, just for my own edification. But frankly, a thread like this helps color this house unfavorably for me.

Bad indeed. However I know 2 shops where I leave (Netherlands) that are offering samples of anything they sale. The only downside is that the samples aren't original, but decanted by themselves into 1.5ml. One of the shop I believe delivers worldwide as well but the prices are insane.
    You would have to pay 10 euros for 5 samples of your choice, each 1.5ml and 30 for the delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Very cool flacons. Very "New York". But that's about the only appeal for me as well. Their fragrances... well, some are decent. But then you see the price and it's like WHAT? No thank you. Add an attitude? Forget about it. This is NOT the first I've heard of Bond No. 9 snobbery.

To laugh at the OP when mentioning West Virginia... I can see it, some hipster bohemian thinking to herself "I have a West By-God Virginia hickster here, LOL" Well, if Bond No 9 is going to hire such people, let them have their exclusive little club and languish in sales.

I went to Le Labo and found the staff there a very mixed bag. One woman who assisted me only offered for me to sniff STALE test strips. I requested a "freshen" spray and she reluctantly took out the bottle and lightly tapped it, applying a very slight moisture to the strip... and I met her condescending gaze. Meanwhile, I was pleasantly dressed and certainly didn't look like a person without money. I was also pleasant towards them... but did not get that kind of attitude in return. Thankfully more people came in and she went off to assist them, which afforded me the opportunity to spray the bottles as I pleased. And in the end, I didn't find anything so outstanding to deserve my patronage. I left. I have a feeling the Bond No. 9 store would be a similar experience. I still plan to stop by sometime, just for my own edification. But frankly, a thread like this helps color this house unfavorably for me.
    Thankfully, my little family was treated very well in the NYC boutique. But mixed results over the phone. Tricky. And pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Every once in a while someone asks for a definition of "niche." Is it possible that Bond No. 9 has decided to be "niche"? And if so, isn't that their right? It's their business, so their business model. It will either work or it won't.
    It's my understanding that "niche" is the opposite of "designer." Designer, meaning that they sell other items besides fragrance (such as clothing and the like). Niche would then designate a company that specializes in fragrance. According to that definition, niche would clearly include Bond No. 9 ... not to mention that I've never seen a Sephora sell this brand.
    Last edited by BoneCollector; 23rd July 2014 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
    It's my understanding that "niche" is the opposite of "designer." Designer, meaning that they sell other items besides fragrance (such as clothing and the like). Niche would then designate a company that specializes in fragrance. According to that definition, niche would clearly include Bond No. 9 ... not to mention that I've never seen a Sephora sell this brand.
    Sephora carries it online, but as said only the "I Love New York" line. I think people use the designer/niche designation loosely around here. Speaking specifically, you're absolutely accurate - but more generally, "designer" is a label that is ascribed to fragrances of mediocre creativity, made-for-mass-consumption formulas, and typically lower prices. By the latter definition, the "I Love New York" line might barely fit the bill.
    Last edited by OlfactoryExperience; 24th July 2014 at 12:12 AM.
    Summer Rotation:

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori

Ok, I've never had any interaction with Bond, even though I could probably walk into the store fifty times a year and not go out of my way. Now, I can't explain this. Maybe I see tacky bottles and that's about it. Or maybe I'm just really leery of being the only customer in a small store and there's too much social pressure to buy something.

On the one hand, I feel your pain. It reminds me of the first time I walked into the Plaza Athenee - booked at full freight well in advance - and being treated like dogshit for five days. There's a Plaza Athenee in nyc and I would sooner pees on zare sidewalk than go in there and spend a nickel.

But there's a common thread to our experiences. You know what you just ran into? Really old-school French marketing. "Oh, so you like zees one? Yes? (pause) You cannot aave eet! We do not sell to just anyone! Your munnay eez not enough! To get our attention, you must suffare! You must bleed!"

I freakin hate it. I'm like, I really didn't want your 2 horsepower, can't afford air conditioning, one cube of ice in a small glass cocktail, jambon sandwich of a perfume line anyway. This was the way old French restaurants worked. Who didn't know about the stereotypical image of the rude, imperious French maitre'd? So strong was this conditioning that when Chanel opened their 57th Street store (long time ago) I walked in for the first time fully expecting to be abused. But it wasn't that way at all; they have the best customer service in the city. There are still a couple of old timers there who are thorough, what's the word I'm looking for, well.....but for a long time it's mostly been the opposite.

On the other hand, I have to admire Bond for the tight distribution. Good for them that they haven't whored their souls off for volume like everyone else has. People talk about their exclusive products. It's almost never true. Now you know what "exclusive" really means because you got excluded.

Now you've tempted me to try my luck. Certainly, fewer people will be wearing Bond than, say, Creed. That's worth something.
    Last edited by Wheatstraw2; 24th July 2014 at 06:00 AM. Reason: everything can be improved upon

Ebay isn't a bad idea, but I personally won't use it under any circumstances. It's a cesspool of scammers and I refuse to contribute. There are other reasons as well, but suffice to say, I freaking hate Ebay. They are propping up the counterfeit fragrance industry and making huge profits off of it.

None of the above at this point.

Not really, you have to look at ratings and feedback. I have purchased almost 80 fragrances off Ebay, with no issues save for once.
    Samples are never fake, it would not be economical to do so. Ebay is the best place to get samples, discontinued fragrances and foreign releases.

Honestly Bond as a house is passe IMO, they do have a few nice fragrances, though most are knock offs coupled with their tacky bottles, over priced fragrances, shitty PR, horrible customer service just leave a bad taste. I have met the owner of Bond, Laurice Rahme and she came across as a total bitch, I am not surprised that attitude resonates in the company.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 24th July 2014 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    I freakin hate it. I'm like, I really didn't want your 2 horsepower, can't afford air conditioning, one cube of ice in a small glass cocktail, jambon sandwich of a perfume line anyway. This was the way old French restaurants worked. Who didn't know about the stereotypical image of the rude, imperious French maitre'd? So strong was this conditioning that when Chanel opened their 57th Street store (long time ago) I walked in for the first time fully expecting to be abused. But it wasn't that way at all; they have the best customer service in the city. There are still a couple of old timers there who are thorough, what's the word I'm looking for, well.....but for a long time it's mostly been the opposite.
    Agreed! When I used to go to the Chanel Boutique at the Bellagio in Las Vegas the customer service was really kind, the SA went through many of the Exclusifs with me, spraying each on a nice scent strip and we both exchanged opinions, good and bad. They were always really cool about the fragrances, more times than not we would end up shooting the sh*t about fragrances in general; no pressure to buy. I did buy from that Boutique but i was treated the same whether i bought or not. And BTW Chanel is probably the best business model of product control and distribution without being snobbish about it, of course this is just my opinion.

I feel your pain, OP.

I'm not from West Virginia, but I'm from a very small, rural town in southwest Virginia, and there are literally no places closeby to sample fragrances. One must drive a lengthy amount to get to anywhere to do so.

The positive side to all of this, for me, is that fragrances asides from AdG, Cool Water, Old Spice and Axe are rare around here among other guys, leaving me to feel a little unique.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
    Niche, to me, means high priced and not easily available at stores. You have to go to high end stores like Neimans, or boutiques to find them. Dior / Chanel / Tom Ford make niche stuff, and also clothing, etc.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post

On the other hand, I have to admire Bond for the tight distribution. Good for them that they haven't whored their souls off for volume like everyone else has. People talk about their exclusive products. It's almost never true. Now you know what "exclusive" really means because you got excluded.

Now you've tempted me to try my luck. Certainly, fewer people will be wearing Bond than, say, Creed. That's worth something.
    They don't have tighter distribution though. They're available at online discount stores, just like Creed. You can buy them at Nordstroms in most cases. Sephora carries one series of their stuff. So they aren't like Chanel, where you can't find Bleu de Chanel or Allure online ANYWHERE.

What they do do is, threaten online stores that provide samples with litigation to stop them from providing samples. They also do not provide samples themselves. You can buy their crap on Fragrancenet.com or Fragrancex.com. You just can't find any samples from any of the online sample spots (theperfumedcourt, lucky scent, etc.), because they've threatened them with litigation.

As I said before, this to me reeks of them wanting to drive people into stores where you have SA's breathing down your neck pushing the product, and not being able to live up to someone sampling the product without that.

And no, just as many people wear Bond than Creed. New Haarlem and Bleecker are the GiT and Aventus of Bond. They're hyped all over youtube and easily available online. You just can't buy samples online to try before you buy.

Basenotes Plus

Today I tried my Bond No.9 Scent of Peace for Him, I felt sorry for my lungs. Cheap materials, thought I was smelling sweetened drain cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    Today I tried my Bond No.9 Scent of Peace for Him, I felt sorry for my lungs. Cheap materials, thought I was smelling sweetened drain cleaner.
    Ouch!
    Top 5 current fragrances:

1. Creed Cedre Blanc
    2. Tom Ford Costa Azzurra
    3. Bond no 9 Montauk
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino

Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    For me it made a good first impression but the more times I wear it the less impressed I am. It has fantastic longevity and projection but there is an off note in the mid and late stages that smells a bit synthetic. Bond sent me a 10ml sample and once it's gone I won't be buying a bottle..

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    For me it made a good first impression but the more times I wear it the less impressed I am. It has fantastic longevity and projection but there is an off note in the mid and late stages that smells a bit synthetic. Bond sent me a 10ml sample and once it's gone I won't be buying a bottle..
    I was the opposite of you, thought it smelt really weird and feminine the first time I wore it.(peaches and laundry musk drydown?) But have liked it much more with subsequent wearing’s. And your right, there is a strange off-putting note in there that lasts throughout the fragrance. Which is a VERY long time btw. I used just three sprays from one of their sample Bon-Bons, and I'm not evening joking about how strong and overwhelming it was with just that lite of an application. I can't imagine how you’d wear it out of an actual bottle?(one spray to the chest perhaps?)

Must honestly say that though never tried single one of this line, i have very strong prejudices and suspicions about this particular brand and especially it's value for money.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    Must honestly say that though never tried single one of this line, i have very strong prejudices and suspicions about this particular brand and especially it's value for money.
    Test any given fragrance and you will probably have your suspicions confirmed. I keep attempting to sample this line - most are scrubbers, and only some are average. But where Bond is average, it is most decidedly average. Certainly not worth the money.

Never cared for this house
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

I never cared for this house, either.

I really do appreciate this thread, it's been a very interesting read, that's for sure. Thanks to the OP for sharing his experience as well as all the others who have contributed to it. I just had a feeling that this particular house wasn't one to hold in high regard, and the posts in this thread have helped to reassure me that my thinking was correct.

To the people that say that they've never cared for this house... are you basing that on the scents (many are derivative of existing scents) or due to the Laurice Rahme's policies and doings?

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    To the people that say that they've never cared for this house... are you basing that on the scents (many are derivative of existing scents) or due to the Laurice Rahme's policies and doings?

Just curious.
    If it's any indication, I had to Wikipedia the name. Never heard of Laurice Rahme.

But no, I'm basing it entirely on the scents. And it is not that they are derivative - being unoriginal is tolerable. What irks me is an obvious lack of quality. At first I thought it was my skin, but I've gone testing with a number of other people and all of them find the house to be repulsive.

There are dozens of designers that I'd take over almost anything in the line.