Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: canoe by dana

Default canoe by dana

Hi
    This is my first post. I ordered canoe by dana from fragrance net and got it today. I am so impressed. I read on a blog that someone thought it was similar to yerbamate by lorenzo villoresi. How true that is. The smell is exactly the same and at $100 cheaper what a bargain it is. Best way I can describe it is 'it smells like you would imagine green turkish delight would taste like' . Which is green sweet and Powderly. .. amazing as I am a fan of villoresi verbamate. I love the history of canoe as well .

Default Re: canoe by dana

Canoe is, IMO, pretty timeless - I seldom wear it, but when I do, I always remember that I still like it - though it's been reformulated a few times, it still is a very pleasant scent to me, one I remember from high school days - those "Old Classics" are usually classics for good reason - that said it also seems to be one of those like it or hate it scents. Some people love it and have good memories of it and others simply don't care for it at all.

You are right. I am amazed at the price but I assume its because it's not fashionable.

I love it! I bought a large bottle of it a few months ago because I saw it at Target or Walmart, and I remembered my dad wearing it occasionally when I was a child. It brings back memories, and enjoy wearing it myself on occasion. It's not trendy or anything, but it is very soft and comforting.

Another childhood memory is that my mom would sometimes order Avon products from her friend. One time she bought me a fragrance that I think was called Wild Country (or something like that...I forget the exact name). I just remember that it smelled exactly like Canoe.
    Currently wearing: Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

Yes canoe is non offensive and comforting I suppose a bit like old spice but classier and more interesting

Nope can't do , it's not bad but i associate it with dirt cheap drugstore/discount store kind of fragrance.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Nope can't do , it's not bad but i associate it with dirt cheap drugstore/discount store kind of fragrance.
    I think it's because it's not sold in Australia I don't have the cheap drugstore associations.... because you guys in the usa see it at the bottom of the shelf in the supermarket you have those associations. I just see it objectively
    Last edited by evh; 17th July 2014 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evh View Post
    I think it's because it's not sold in Australia I don't have the cheap drugstore associations.... because you guys in the usa see it at the bottom of the shelf in the supermarket you have those associations. I just see it objectively
    Totally agree with you as memory sensors do detract and have to revisit or force to be objective and not subjective....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Too powdery for me, til the drydown which is much better.

I actually like the powder. As I said it smells exactly like yerbamate which is $130 and very classy. The powder aspect also remind me a bit of taylor of bond street sandalwood although the smell is different. I quite like the old fashioned barber like fragrance. Canoe definately smell 'green' but its candy and powder green. You know like the powder on turkish delight. Would've been better if it was little fresher and sharper but value for money you can't complain as it doesn't smell cheap just untrendy but at least its unique not generic like brut
    Last edited by evh; 17th July 2014 at 04:20 PM.

Canoe, the inspiration for the original Brut. And who says men can't wear "feminine" fragrances?

Just checking - you are talking about the 1935 women's Canoe, as opposed to the 1996 Canoe for Men, right?

The men's Canoe was available all over the place in Australia till a few years ago, I picked up my big bottle for $10.
    Cheers,
    Renato

No the mens one. I cant find it in any australian store or website

I think some womens perfume men can wear although I dont know of any I would like to wear

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Personally never cared for this scent or its smell on others.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I used to have a bottle of Canoe, but it disappeared back around the time I started college. I actually introduced this fragrance to a few of my friends on my eighth grade school trip. They had forgotten to bring anything, so one of them asked me if I had any cologne. I pulled out Canoe, showed it to him, and upon sniffing it, he and the other two guys liked it enough to use it. At the time, I had no idea it was such a classic.

Also, I have Wild Country, and other than the powder, I don't really think the two fragrances are similar.

hi coldsteel. what does wild country smell like, Ive never heard of it before now.

i would also like to know what Jockey Club Caswell Massey cologne - a fragrance for men smells like as it intrigues me. is it similar to Canoe?

If you like that one you might also like vintage British Sterling, which you can get at reasonable prices on ebay. I prefer it to Canoe because I like the strong spice notes.

thanks bigsly i will check it out

No the mens one. I cant find it in any australian store or website

I think some womens perfume men can wear although I dont know of any I would like to wear
    Yes, it disappeared a few years ago.

It's been quite a while since I smelled Yerbamate - I remember liking it, but thinking it a tad feminine.

So, I put on my Canoe for Men today and - for some reason - it initially smelled a tad feminine to me too.

Later on, my wife asked what I was wearing, because it reminded her strongly of Brut. To me, apart from a certain sharpness, it doesn't really smell much like Brut.
    Cheers,
    Renato

hi renato (and fellow aussie )

good on you for putting canoe on today 'in memory of this thread'

i have worn mine for the second day in a row and i truly love it, its amazing

i know what you mean about yerbamate and its femininity... although i loved it, i was pondering whether i can pull it off as it was so feminine

but when i smelled canoe, which is supposed to be the ultimate mens fragrance (one of), i realised the yerbamate was not feminine - or i see it less feminine now

somebody mentioned its similar to brut, i couldn't remember what brut smelled like, and i actually went into the supermarket today and smelled brut - it was much more synthetic - over the top, and i agree canoe doesn't smell like brut. i find it curious that brut was allegedly created after following canoe as its inspiration. but i guess those days canoe was still expensive and brut was cheap

Pollux

Canoe? A fav. here.

If you can, try Pinaud's. A more animalic version of Canoe, good alternative if you are into the sillage / longevity combo.

Canoe is definitley a classic. Very underrated, often overlooked because it's considered a drugstore frag. I've used 2 bottles of this over the years. Powdery fragrances are not something I really care for, but Canoe is the one to go with for its value. Very powdery, slightly sweet, vanilla, a little bit of citrus and lavender, it actually reminds me of a classic, more tame version of Le Male. Very bottle worthy, and very affordable.
    "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator." -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Canoe? A fav. here.

If you can, try Pinaud's. A more animalic version of Canoe, good alternative if you are into the sillage / longevity combo.
    thanks pollux i will check it out. i think i saw it in the supermarket, and its the ultimate traditional 'barbershop' scent isn't it. i love that whole traditional, classic barbershop vibe... when gentlemen were gentlemen

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Canoe is definitley a classic. Very underrated, often overlooked because it's considered a drugstore frag. I've used 2 bottles of this over the years. Powdery fragrances are not something I really care for, but Canoe is the one to go with for its value. Very powdery, slightly sweet, vanilla, a little bit of citrus and lavender, it actually reminds me of a classic, more tame version of Le Male. Very bottle worthy, and very affordable.
    thanks the cologneist. yes its so underrated and so cheap, its unbelievable. i will check le male out again, i think i smelled it years ago. i think good taste and style is timeless, thats why canoe still exist since 1936, how many others can claim that. wearing it makes me feel i am part of 'cologne history', amazing. i would love to smell the vintage 'made in france' one which is apparently even more amazing
    Last edited by evh; 19th July 2014 at 02:49 AM.

hi renato (and fellow aussie )

i know what you mean about yerbamate and its femininity... although i loved it, i was pondering whether i can pull it off as it was so feminine

but when i smelled canoe, which is supposed to be the ultimate mens fragrance (one of), i realised the yerbamate was not feminine - or i see it less feminine now
    Most niche scents are a mix of typical masculine notes and typical feminine notes, with the result called unisex. This is in contrast to the older unisex scents which had more gender neutral notes like citrus in them.

So if one wears lots of niche scents like Yerbamate, one has to expect smelling somewhat feminine part way through the drydown. The classic confusing scent is Villoresi's Dilmun - I think it outright feminine, and others I had sniff it thought so too. But some others who sniffed it surprisingly perceived it as extremely masculine.

My wife just asked me to please not wear Canoe today - after she sniffed some of it still hanging around on my jumper - says it is cloying on her. Which is fair enough, as the other day I begged her to stop wearing J-Lo from a bottle I'd bought her last week.
    Cheers,
    Renato

hi renato !

yes its interesting how niche ones are more unisex. villoresi is totally amazing, i ordered a sample pack of 5 (uomo, specie, piper nigrum, yerbamate and the other 'lemon' one i can't remember now). i was blown away! i am very fussy when it comes to scents and don't like 99% of scent out there. i loved each and every one of the villoresis. used 'one a day' and that week i was on this amazing perfume 'journey' - the best thing about the villoresis is how natural they smell and how they progress/take you on a journey throughout the day. my favourite is piper nigrum - amazing, i love the 'pepper' (almost fire like burning) in the beginning and then the 'sweet' dry down (PS i have reviewed these on this forum but apparently it takes weeks to show up...).

yerbamate was i would say if one sees male - female a continuum in terms of perfume i would say yerbamate smelled 'in the middle'. apparently brat pitt wears 'villoresi musk' - and some people say its very 'feminine' - but i suppose somebody like that can wear anything.. i suppose perfume is like everything else - if you wear it confidently and feel comfortable it will be fine. I thought yerbamate was the least natural and exotic of the villoresis i smelled. but now after canoe, the villoresi smells exactly the same and i realise yerbamate wasn't 'female'. but as with many things, i think its easier for women to wear male fragrances than the other way around.

whats also interesting talking about the 'feminine' scents for men, a lot of the middle eastern/arabian ones are very sweet and often very 'feminine' - the males one i am talking about it. we have this middle eastern inspired perfumery in perth and a lot of their male scents are sweet and 'feminine' smelling (http://www.eternalscents.com.au)

ha ha funny about your wife. i guess canoe is something one wears for yourself rather somebody else. although apparently a lot of women wore it in the sixties. Jo-Lo? that probably smells 'pink' if i could guess?
    Last edited by evh; 19th July 2014 at 04:34 AM.
    my signature scents:

L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme EDT
    Hugo Hugo Boss
    Tommy Tommy Hilfiger

hi renato !

yes its interesting how niche ones are more unisex. villoresi is totally amazing, i ordered a sample pack of 5 (uomo, specie, piper nigrum, yerbamate and the other 'lemon' one i can't remember now). i was blown away! i am very fussy when it comes to scents and don't like 99% of scent out there. i loved each and every one of the villoresis. used 'one a day' and that week i was on this amazing perfume 'journey' - the best thing about the villoresis is how natural they smell and how they progress/take you on a journey throughout the day. my favourite is piper nigrum - amazing, i love the 'pepper' (almost fire like burning) in the beginning and then the 'sweet' dry down (PS i have reviewed these on this forum but apparently it takes weeks to show up...).

yerbamate was i would say if one sees male - female a continuum in terms of perfume i would say yerbamate smelled 'in the middle'. apparently brat pitt wears 'villoresi musk' - and some people say its very 'feminine' - but i suppose somebody like that can wear anything.. i suppose perfume is like everything else - if you wear it confidently and feel comfortable it will be fine. I thought yerbamate was the least natural and exotic of the villoresis i smelled. but now after canoe, the villoresi smells exactly the same and i realise yerbamate wasn't 'female'. but as with many things, i think its easier for women to wear male fragrances than the other way around.

whats also interesting talking about the 'feminine' scents for men, a lot of the middle eastern/arabian ones are very sweet and often very 'feminine' - the males one i am talking about it. we have this middle eastern inspired perfumery in perth and a lot of their male scents are sweet and 'feminine' smelling (http://www.eternalscents.com.au)

ha ha funny about your wife. i guess canoe is something one wears for yourself rather somebody else. although apparently a lot of women wore it in the sixties. Jo-Lo? that probably smells 'pink' if i could guess?
    I remember putting on some Villoresi Sandolo on my wrist in a shop and going back to the office.
    The fragrance expert there said "What are you wearing - you smell like a girl!"

That said, it's a shame Villoresi Vetiver is discontinued, because that is the most masculine of his I've ever come across.

I know what you mean about Arabian scents. I was in Dubai for a week last year, and I wasn't the fond of the middle eastern scents I tried - interesting yes, but just not sure I'd ever wear them.

I wish the J-Lo smelled pink. I I bought it because it had a nice bottle and cost $5.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 19th July 2014 at 08:11 AM.

hi renato

interesting that the sandolo was seen as feminine, i experienced that as the most masculine of the villoresis.

they are all so classy - have you smelled the musk one?

the arabian ones smell intriguing in the beginning but the ones i smelt all stinked at the dry down

i suppose you can't go wrong with J-Lo for $5 or in this case you have gone wrong...

btw and this doesn't relate to canoe, but since i have you 'online' - have you ever smelled anything from www.profumo.it - apart from villoresi these fascinate me the most of anything i have read about it, but their testers are a fortune. its all natural, and you can order a 'animal kit' including honey bee, ambergris, civet, catoreum, hyraces, muskrat - talk about 'niche' !!!!!!

e
    Last edited by evh; 20th July 2014 at 10:17 AM.
    my signature scents:

L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme EDT
    Hugo Hugo Boss
    Tommy Tommy Hilfiger

Oh yeah the classic drugstore fragrance... canoe, old spice, brut, proffered stocks, aspen.... awesome stuff... brings back memories...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."