Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: After the Oud fad dies out, then what?

eau de durian with top notes of mangosteen, rambutan and mango.

living in a country with durians, i can tell you the deadliest thing ever is when you have a durian feast with your friends, and then everyone gets into the car

and someone lets out a fart

and you're like whoa nice durian smell

its 2x the methane of a normal fart lol.

there's a chinese legend that says that durians are the poop of a god. Well that makes sense.
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I think sandalwood is due for a (very welcome) comeback now that santalum album is commercially available again. Unless the twits in Brussels hear about it, of course.
    I am 100% with this !
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Basenotes Plus

Variants on tuberose seem quite popular, also honey.

Leather & random incenses have been much in evidence.

Generic, hugely synthetic drydowns, maybe?

(Sorry about the last one, sample fatigue).
    Last edited by lpp; 21st July 2014 at 06:55 PM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Poppy seed, probably. Or weed. Lol.

Basenotes Plus

Saffron.

Hydroponically grown oud?

Whatever note best panders towards the Chinese market.

Basenotes Plus

Why the Chinese market?

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Why the Chinese market?
    Well, all these oud releases aren't released primarily for the sake of the Western consumer...

If most Western production/manufacturing wasn't moved to China, it probably wouldn't be the merging market that it is now. As for Western corporations and their ill-judged long-term outlooks... I won't go there...

So, yes, notes that attract Chinese consumers will be the next big thing. Couple Chinese cultural tastes with IFRA/European restrictions, and the future of perfumery may be very different to how it was or currently is (read: light and transparent).

Anyway, at some point there'll be a petroleum shortage crisis. As a result, fragrance houses will have to plan ahead and look out for the next burgeoning economy, where consumers (especially those with more money than sense) will gladly buy their half-baked IFRA regulated swill, housed in ostentatious packaging.

The art of perfumery has been on it's last legs for quite some time. Long live the profit margin! Hurrah!

Dependent

I hope more orris finds its way into men's perfume
    Seasonal rotation:

Ciel Man
    Windsor
    Scandal Pour Homme
    Santal Imperial
    Millesime Imperial

Whatever the popular ingredient might be, great perfumes are unlikely without oakmoss and one of the four noble essences - high quality real sandalwood. Oud is great but most oud fragrances aren't. Someone mentioned weed. A lot of the strains are extremely pungent and smell phenomenal. They won't take the place of oakmoss and sandalwood, they're a long way from working in the same way as those two, but people could at least use higher concentrations of them to add a little interest. Amazing names for so many of those strains as well. :-)
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd July 2014 at 04:01 AM.

I think white amber will become popular. Its not really known well yet in this part of the world.
    It smells heavenly…

Basenotes Plus

They'll start making fruity oud combos... some have started already. The sub-genre shall be known as "Froud." You read it first here, folks.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    They'll start making fruity oud combos... some have started already. The sub-genre shall be known as "Froud." You read it first here, folks.
    Or maybe not first, or second or...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/382...own?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Why the Chinese market?
    Have you been living under a rock stu?

The New World Order is China.

Nia hao
    for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

I predict more and more pepper as a trumped up base note. We're already seeing it everywhere and in a multitude of 'colors'.
    Currently wearing: Azurée by Estée Lauder

There will be a new chemical of an uber clean body note in the vein of Iso E but much, much cleaner. It will be for the post perfume era to disguise the smell of a real somebody when you cannot wear perfume in public any more.
    Currently wearing: Beautiful by Estée Lauder

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    There will be a new chemical of an uber clean body note in the vein of Iso E but much, much cleaner. It will be for the post perfume era to disguise the smell of a real somebody when you cannot wear perfume in public any more.
    I completely agree. But only after completely exploiting the Middle-Eastern and Chinese markets. Actually, this would be the next logical step, after the Western fragrance industry tailors their creations more with Chinese consumers in mind.

Dependent

Compressed air in a can .. Brand name "simplicity"
    I can see the ads now and the line at the registers at dept stores. Tag line " the smell of world peace..."
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

well a point as has been brought up, where are the emerging markets happening? China, Russia, Middle East. We're seeing the oud spice and leather, so I predict the next move with be clean light transparent gender neutral things with tea, flowers, white musks, etc. Guys like Kilian's Asia Tales line. Those sort of corporate driven niche houses are seeing where the market is moving and making scents with a clear strategy in mind.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I noticed a suspicious increase of rhubarb notes in the past year! And also lentiscus... as if some new (artificial) ways to build green accords are being explored - that's just an impression, though.
    I wished they stopped messing around with plain synthetic renditions of "real" materials and start using synthetics openly and creatively - like they've stopped doing basically short after 2000 (anything interesting after Cuiron and a couple of Costume National? The "creative synthetic stuff" we've today is Antoine Lie throwing aldehydes everywhere like The Simpsons' cat lady).

My sales thread | Rare, discontinued & vintage stuff!

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat
    Currently wearing: Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    I wished they stopped messing around with plain synthetic renditions of "real" materials and start using synthetics openly and creatively
    Hear, hear. Don't say do if you don't or don't if you do. Have it like it is…..

I foresee watering down of everything. Also I think that we will see more Parfum/EDP versions in men designers. Usually just EDP formulations of their old scents for much more $$$ (you can see this trend with Bleu De Chanel EDP, Fahrenheit EDP, Dior Homme EDP,...). I also foresee huge amount of fruity/vegetable parfums based on high quality essential oils from overstock of fruits and vegetables that EU will have since Russia banned them.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Millesime Imperial
    3. Lalique Encre Noire

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Seeing as the 'flavours' have been getting increasingly dark and heavy, I reckon Tar will be the next one.
    Dark and heavy.

On saying that, I remember my dad's cabinet back when queen Victoria was a young whippersnapper had some smellums that I thought were cooler than penguin poo!
    Hai Karate, always nicked a splash of that before school, no wonder I never had a date!
    Drakkar noir, way ahead of its time with matt black bottle,
    Old spice, made you smell like a super dude f@&king surfer man
    And the old favourite, BRUT, just coz I wanted to smell like a locker room full of sweaty jock straps!

Maybe the perfumes will follow fashion trends and come back full circle into fashion again for a BRUT revival.....

Black Currant. This one cracks me up, because it turns to cat pee on so many. This could lead to a major schism between haters and lovers in the community. Civil war will be next. Gulliver's travels will be a but a harbinger of the blackcurrant yes, blackcurrant absolutely not riots in our large cities.

fish & chips?
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Feces extrait.

As unimaginative it may sound, either the marketing/overexposure/(re-) discovering of an entirely new note/genre (perhaps already present in the fragrance world, but not a fad yet) or the return of a previously popular fad (e.g., but not limited to, powerhouse, gourmand, male and unisex floral, aquatics etc.) with even greater popularity and preeminence.
    Currently wearing: Lancetti Uomo by Lancetti

Peanut butter.
    Last edited by kalli; 22nd September 2014 at 08:12 AM.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford